Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Impromptu Mehket

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

The Uber ushered the two Mehket away from the Nox, and as requested...she directed the ride from there to include a few double backs and other evasive measures to prevent being followed. New title, new approaches to preventing problems before they became a problem.

The familiar haven came into sight. The two made their way in. Quinn had a new code, Conner might notice. She changed it frequently. The scent of Jasmine filled the air as they went into her darkened home. Quinn dismounted from her heels, and immediately picked them up to put them in the shoe closet just off the main entrance. Quickly losing four inches of borrowed height.

"Please have a seat in the quiet room. I'll be there in just a second. I think I will grab some white wine I decanted earlier this evening and have chilled." She spoke in her gentle tone. Watching Conner a moment. Trying to gauge his emotional state to figure out a good approach to the topic.

Empathy roll 1 success!

2. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

HP: 0/7 [7 Bash]
    WP: 0/2
    Vitae: 2/6

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

Def: 3 (Dex; Tonfa +1)
    Armor: 1/0 (Reinforced Clothing)
    Initiative: 4
    Speed: 9

PRE

Conner's observant nature is on autopilot as the Uber directs them to what Conner realizes is Quinn's Haven. He recognizes a few of the streets used for Quinn's evasive maneuvers, having stalked them some nights past. Small world after all. They arrive and Conner doesn't press Quinn for answers just yet, instead noting the swift efficiency with which she interacts with her security system. He looks away out of politeness, since she'd likely change the password frequently anyway. Quinn was intricate, calculated; Conner was a bit more obscure with his security methods.

"Of course."
    She doesn't seem upset. She's probably pissed you didn't publicly acknowledge her as Reeve. She's not that petty. Still, Conner resolves to offer his congratulations the moment the situation allows it. But perhaps Quinn had some other matter to discuss.

Conner makes no effort to hide his emotions...what could he hide from his Blood Cousin? He's more curious than worried, though there is a hint of concern as he takes a seat on the couch and sets both hands in his lap, eyes darting around as if to detect anything new in the space.

4. Likes pisces liked this post

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

(Imbibe)Vitae 1 Spent
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn got the glass carafe of wine out of the wine fridge and two glasses and headed to the quiet room after Conner. Quinn loved this room. You felt like you were in perpetual shadow, but with just enough light to see perfectly. The blue light was less harsh and much much more forgiving. The gentle twinkling lights above like a thousand captive stars. This was just for her and her Shadows. Truth be told, they were probably the only ones who would be comfortable here. She played hostess and poured the wine, if Conner wanted a glass it was there, chilled and ready for him. If he didn't that was okay too.

"J.C left the city as I'm sure you've realized. He was one of my closest allies in the domain. I trusted him. Especially after he put himself between Dirt Nap and I when it counted most. You already know Edward departed. There is one other who recently departed." She paused a moment and took a long sip of wine for a little liquid courage as they say. Or would that be, habit courage? "Maeve left too. No word. No letter. Nothing behind. Her apartment was cleaned out, and no forwarding address." She paused a moment and watched Conner closely as she spoke. "I was checking out a few details and waiting on results in court, and once I confirmed all of this, I knew you would want to know immediately." Quinn was intensely watching the Shadow in front of her. She wasn't sure what Conner's reaction would be to being abandoned by Maeve. They had been dating. They were both clanmates to one another. Those roots are deep. Even Quinn felt disappointed on some level. Though she had already been through this once before. She was over this shit. You need her like you need a fucking hole in the head.

Quinn did everything she could to hide the relief and quiet satisfaction of an enemy gone that she felt. For all the positives of having Maeve with them there had been a lot of negatives. Quinn didn't quite realize even to herself how much she blamed Maeve for Conner's faux pas in court until the problem left. It spared Quinn the dubious task of murdering that traitorous bitch, and having to throw herself on the Prince's Mercy. If she had harmed Conner that would have been fucking it, and you know it!

Pretend like you care...

Outwardly Quinn showed deep concern, and like she was crestfallen over it all! I'd like to thank the Academy....

6. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

(Consume Drink)Vitae 1 Spent
    PRE

Conner accepts the glass, drinks the wine offered. He allows the burning sensation to course through his throat into a willing stomach. The reflexive effort of blood turns his nerves elsewhere as he awaits for Quinn to spill the news.

"I hadn't heard about JC, but I know he hadn't been seen in a while. I'm sorry." His exposure to the Gangrel had been limited, and they might not have started on the right foot, but he respected Quinn's trust. Conner doesn't get much more out before he hears about Edward...and then...

Conner is numb, more from hurt than the alcohol. And he makes no effort to hide it.
    "We'd been out of touch for a while. I figured she just wanted some space." That I was smothering her. Or she me. Did it really matter?
    Apparently it mattered to Quinn. He knew that, for all the two Shadows didn't see eye to eye, they were still Clanmates.

And then it starts. That accursed predatory paranoia that sent his heart into his toes. He sets his glass down and looks into Quinn's eyes, meeting her gaze.
    "I never got to thank you personally for making Reeve. I'm happy for you...Maeve would've been happy for you." Though she wouldn't admit it if her life depended on it.

1 success

Conner sharpens his vision to look past Quinn's face and to see the vibrant rainbow of emotion he knew she held and hid so well. "I just want to make sure of something first. I want to be certain that Maeve's departure was not your price of entry to becoming Reeve." Why are you saying this? What do you want? Are you really prepared to fight your Priscus over a lost love that was never guaranteed? The words are out of his mouth before he can stop them, and he remains seated. There was more he wanted to say on the matter, but he would wait until he got his answer.

8. Likes pisces liked this post

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn nodded to Conner's words. The words weren't particularly comforting but only one had known how close Quinn and J.C had been. He wasn't in the domain anymore either. "J.C and I lived together almost the entire time I had been in Sacramento. We at first shared a communal haven at the Chapter House, then this personal haven here, with me," she confessed softly.

She watched him try to protect himself. Going blank and numb was a Mehket special. They were good at that. "An easy assumption to make between Kindred, but Conner, even Kindred need constant attention or little tokens to stay engaged. Remember that if you choose to pursue another Kindred." She wanted to take his pain away. She knew this cold mask wasn't him. Though in Quinn's mind she could understand some of that angst because she felt it too. It was a colossal disappointment. Possibilities withering, turning to dust right before her eyes.

Then he went on to congratulate her and took extra liberties to include Maeve. Thin line between naivety and stupidity. Oh yeah you look it cupcake. She thought sarcastically to herself. She took a drink of wine.

And then the other shoe dropped. Thank God she was Kindred or she might have spit wine all over him. She managed to swallow the wine with the surprise. Not that he thought she was capable of that. Quinn was capable of that, but that he thought that the Prince's ego was that fragile.

Aura Read

"No. Absolutely not. If her Grace wanted Maeve gone or dead Conner, she would have been a long time ago. A lot of people saw her banishment to the barrens as a mere slap on the wrist for a second infraction of manners in court. The Prince chose me for her Reeve for the work I've done for the domain, and of course the Kindred she wanted to actually do the job left the domain. Dirt Nap, I think, was her first choice. I was just the after thought."

10. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

(Blush)Vitae 1 Spent
    PRE

Conner can hear...almost feel the connection between her and JC as she lays out the briefest of histories between them. "You both took a big risk, especially with your actions with the Ordo Dracul. It sounds like he was someone very special." A bit on edge perhaps, but special all the same. And special to Quinn mean extra special. He takes another sip from his glass, now almost empty.

White. The color of innocence. Conner's not sure whether to feel relief or disappointment. "I'm glad. And I'm sure the fact that you earned the position over Dirt Nap means a lot to you." He continues to deflect off of himself. Quinn had earned this, it was right to celebrate this victory for herself and her Clan.

But...

Quinn was now a few degrees more untouchable in Court. He wasn't. Quinn had the respect of her peers. Conner could count the number of pleasant conversations he'd had on one hand. And to his shame, it wasn't enough for Conner that Quinn mourned Maeve's departure. There was a deep, dark, lonely part of him that wants to lash out.

And he does. Or at least begins to...

failure

Conner wills more blood to flow through his body so Quinn can see him as she first knew him. So that she can see his blood boil and his muscles strain. No! You're not that petty. Aren't you. NO! I'M NOT! He bites his tongue for a few seconds, just short of drawing blood. "Maeve was different. She stood out like a sore thumb in Elysium when I first arrived. And I liked that. But more importantly, she wasn't you..." He strains against his more savage urge to glare at Quinn, to make this hurt. But instead his voice is quiet, more sincere. "Seeing you again after all that time was complicated, and in the moment I was afraid of what you being my Clan leader meant. I...missed you, Quinn. And I couldn't stand the possibility of getting rejected by you, so when Maeve expressed her interest I went for it."

He takes a long sigh. Looks back up to Quinn. "What I'm trying to say is that I love you Quinn; and I'm just now feeling worthy of saying that. I don't regret taking the chance with Maeve, though I wish the circumstances were different. But I'll tell you what I told her: I'm here for you, however you need me." He lets his confession sit heavy in the air for a few seconds, then picks up the glass. "If it's all the same to you, I think I'll have some more wine before we continue."

12. Likes pisces liked this post

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

"I won't let anyone do to me what Rodger did, under any guise. I think the crappiest part about all of it was he refused to own any of it. That's all he had to do. Own what he was trying to do and why and we could have worked it out. I'm sure of that, but he didn't want to do that. So he lost the two of us. You can't build on a broken foundation. No matter how capable you are."

"I have a theory about Dirt Nap, but no proof. My theory is the reason Dirt Nap wanted me to take over everything so he didn't have to was so he didn't have to bind himself to anything. Think about it. Every official office has a lot of red tape, as does a position within the Dragons. He deliberately avoided those things. Why? Unless it was so when he was ready he could challenge Prince Antinori directly to Monomacy, and she couldn't refuse on the grounds of treason. The only reason she gave me the position is because if she didn't she would start looking bad."

It was dispassionate and not exactly flattering of a picture, but it was an honest assessment of how Quinn viewed things. Quinn didn't have a lot of pride. It showed. Was she perfectly humble? No. Though pride couldn't tempt her actions or really prick her the way it did others because of it. She tended to look at things not necessarily that she earned them, no matter how hard you work, Kindred existence wasn't fair, but in what extenuating factors actually pushed things in your favor.

Quinn watched Conner and when his skin flushed to life, she felt that all to familiar pang in her heart, and all the guilt that came with it. He looked just as he did when he was human. Except he looked happier now that he was here with her, then how he was then. He had been driven, almost to the brink of absolute obsession. She had helped him live a little again. Breathed new life into his quest, and gave him a path on a map he didn't even know existed. It lead right to his embrace. Into her own line and direct kin.

The confession took her off guard a bit. Suspecting something, gave room for plausible deniability. When someone confessed....you had to answer. Confessions of the shadows volume two. She nodded to the request for more wine. She poured him a very generous glass and did the same for herself, one bottle biting the dust. She had plenty more where that came from.

"Do you love me as your family and kin, or are you in love with me and wish for us to be lovers, as we were?" She asked the question, even though the answers in equal measure, terrified her.

Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

Conner accepts the new glass and drinks from it. He thinks back to his conversation with Prince Antinori (or 'Sofia' as she'd called herself then) over drinks. She'd said that what someone enjoyed to drink told a bit of their personality. She'd been drinking barrel-aged gin, with flavors of vanilla. And here he was drinking white wine. Must be another one of those 'high-maintenance' drinks she talked about. He takes a sip of the wine, wanting to savor the glass for as long as possible. Not wanting to leave while he was still...upset? He wasn't quite angry. Why would he be?

"At least we know refusing accountability isn't solely a Mekhet trait, otherwise we'd be in trouble." He's still raw from the freshly-ripped band-aid of Maeve's disappearance. She'd want him to be honest. "If the Prince was just scrambling to fill seats she would've picked Priscus Hazelton. Why? Maybe to show that she could? Maybe because the Nosferatu's troubles were from the outside?" Conner shrugs. "You worked hard for this position, and nobody questions that. Don't sell yourself short." Otherwise Maeve was right about you being a coward. "But I'm interested, if you're willing to share..." Why are you asking that while there's alcohol in the room. "...what your first order of business is, if any. Or is that above my paygrade?"

He's stalling, and he knows it. And Quinn definitely knows he knows it. So Conner takes a deeper sip of the wine, making brief eye contact with Quinn before standing and taking his glass with him as we walks around the room. Stalking like an enclosed, frustrated bobcat. "It wasn't fair to you. What happened between us was part of an agreement, right? There was no expectation of anything more than that. But...I've been thinking..." His pacing becomes more deliberate. Steps scattered few and far between between sentences, but always keeping the bulk of the room between himself and Quinn. "Ever since my Lancea training I'd been trained to view sex as an impulse. It was something cold and necessary and it put blood in my mouth. And yes, it felt good, but so did hunting; an adrenaline rush. There's never meant to be any intimacy. That's what I wanted with Maeve." That beautiful, burning azure princess. "And it's what she wanted from me: some connection beyond physical. I remember most of what we did was just sit and cuddle and not even talk. But...that's not the only thing." There's a crack in his voice, like he's fighting tears or vomit. "It's what I had before. Sex and intimacy were never two separate things: they were the same thing. I never thought to divorce them because it was all I'd ever known. And when I was with you, I was vulnerable. I was scared. I was lonely. And you took those feelings away from me." He downs the remains of the glass. Cup still in his hand. "But it's still not fair to you. Not with what you've gone through. Not with what you...have to do." BULLSHIT! She chose to sell herself and she knows it and you know it and you're still too much of a coward to call her out or dare her to ask for more!

Conner's path now puts him parallel to Quinn, but no closer. He couldn't dare to get any closer. That was how things had been with Maeve; he took a step, she took a step. Chasing and closing distance.Fight it. Fight FOR it. Take something for ONCE! "I do love you Quinn. I'm a selfish bastard who refuses to see the big picture because I don't care. But God in Heaven help me, I want you and I don't just want you as a warm body. I want you as someone who cares. And I don't know if you can give me that. Not while you're sleeping with O'Brien." Ohhhhhhhhfuckyouhadtogothere

Conner realizes he's holding an empty glass, walks back to his seat and sets the glass down securely. And then, like a good Shadow he waits. Waits for whatever comes. And there is a tiny part of him that is ready to dodge a thrown glass.

15. Likes pisces liked this post

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

“Working hard doesn’t really mean that much to most Kindred. I didn’t get this position on just my merit. I got it because I have labored intensively for allies in the domain. I nearly got my fucking arm chewed off for Priscus Hazelton, and went to bat for her with Edward when really no one else seemed to care.” She paused a moment. “I also have made inroads with the Seneschal, so we have a good, working relationship and can communicate well.”

“I’ve already been doing the job. It’s really just more of the same. I want to open up my office to those who wish to lend their skills in service of the domain. I need to know what tools are in the toolbox. Especially amongst those who are a bit more reserved and may not approach me openly in court.” She paused and smirked slightly. “The rest is above your pay grade.”

“Speaking of pay grades. I am looking forward to you completing the goals we discussed for your Tenancy and position of Whip. How are you feeling about all of that?” She asked him quietly. He needed to focus on goals not on who or whom she spent personal time with.

“O’Brien and I started an endeavor to ally with one another. He wanted to deepen that relationship, and I didn’t know why at first. He finally told me the truth. We met before. When I was being mentored by Janos. We stayed in his mansion in New York for Janos’s art show. Janos chased him off and gave him a painting of me to remember me by. Which is why he pressed me so soon for more.” She paused a moment.

“You have a connection to me that no one can ever challenge. That is not predicated upon lust, love, politics, power, friendship or anything else. It’s time to show you what that means. What it means to be blood kin. The strength of it. I showed you what it felt like to have me reach for you through our blood. I will teach you how to do that with me. There is something else that our connection affords. Something very special. We can look in on one another. Check on one another as long as we are no more than fifty miles away. You would feel if anything serious happened to me, Conner, and I you. Your blood would call to mine, but I can show you how to do so at will. We are always connected.”

17. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

So far his persistence has been more rewarded than chastened, so Conner relaxes. "You're right; you made great sacrifices and put yourself out there. And I'm sure a lot of Priscus Hazelton's willingness to secure our alliance was because of your initiative with Edward. She sees like someone who rewards those she trusts." ​A valuable thing amongst our kind. "I won't say anything about the Seneschal." He'd already made his thoughts clear and doesn't want to further belabor the point. "But provided he respects you, I'll say that bottom line he's a good connection."

He nods slowly as Quinn lays out her plans as Reeve. "Fair, give members of the Domain a chance to get a leg up in building valuable ties. You know I'm always on call if you need my own skills; my perceptive nature and my Lancea ties may be of use someday." He would support his Priscus any way he can.

As for goals..."I've been making some connections in my own time. I actually ran into Prince Antinori in the city, we had some pleasant conversation and I think she has a more positive outlook on me. I've also been working on building rapport with members of Clan Nosferatu, and so far there's been good reception." He frowns a little. "The keys to the Moore House are currently in care of the Seneschal, so until his schedule opens up I'm behind on that part. But once that is secured, I'll be giving the Lancea Sanctum a running head start in the Domain." He has more he wants to say about Tenancy and the position of Whip, but he gives Quinn space to respond.

"I've also fallen behind on my work with Mable, but I'm wondering if that might be hampered by...what happened before we left."
    Conner's expression turns to pity. "She's admitted to me that she has little aspirations of being in the Court's good graces. But still, I'm wondering if she might need some distance. I'd like to know your thoughts since it sounds like you've worked with her in the past."

The connection to Janos prompts a low rumble in Conner's throat. "So he knew you while you were being groomed?" A detail O'Brien conveniently omitted from our previous conversation. "Do you think he's got some kind of obsession from when he knew you before? O'Brien mentioned having lost a loved ones shortly before being embraced and...I have an idea of how that can create a desire for attachment."
    1 success

He studies Quinn's expression here, wondering if she was giving him a lead for scrutiny or just keeping him abreast of their personal history.

"You mean our Blood Tie?" There's a deep, billowing hunger that rises in Conner's gut. He still remembered what it felt like to have Quinn's emotions unsolicited in her head. Payback. Or permission. "I...do want you to teach me that. I think it will put my worries at ease to know that I can touch base with you across great distances." Quinn was redirecting him, which he knows is a good thing. It meant she was being honest and refusing to take bullshit. Conner needed that, even if the predator wanted an excuse to push and lash out and take. "You really value this Tie? It really does mean a lot to you?"

19. Likes pisces liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread