Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

RE: Treasure Hunt - In the Hand

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Rose Among Thorns
    Matriarch
    Presence
    (Friendly)
    Direction Sense
    (I Know The Way)
    Danger Sense
    (Spidey Adjacent)
    Occultation
    (Blinded by Thorns)
    Belle

Nimbus: Cracks in space appear just over her skin, shaped like toothy, hellish maws. If she's extra and especially angry, those maws will speak.
    PRP Stats

2/5 Personal Spells
    *Incognito Presence (1 suxx)
    1/3 Vulgar Spells
    Health
    Mana: 9/9
    WP: 2/3

Equipment: Knife, Minivan, Shoulder Bag (magnifying glass, flashlight, plastic gloves), Smartphone, Wallet ($50), Artifact (see minisheet)
    Combat Stats

Defense: 2 (Wits/Dex)
    Initiative: 4
    Speed: 9

OCC
    PRE

Belle's been growing more comfortable with the Mysterium's setup within the Circle. She likes the intimacy of the space, even if she's sure there would be some OSHA complaints about the desks being so close to a metallurgy workshop. Occupational hazard. Though I guess carcinogens and burns are the least of our worries.

She's seated at a desk she's been steadily 'claiming' over the past few weeks. A few personal books have been moved here from the apartment along with some writing utensils and, most recently, a certain black artifact recovered from an abandoned backyard. Roxie's Choker sat in style on a red pillow, soft and non-conductive. Belle herself is equipped with gloves, safety goggles, and a spare apron from the furnace. She was going with better safe than sorry. Plus, if they needed to run any tests using the forge, she'd be all geared up.

And she was aching to dig into this thing's secrets...
    Aeolus , Aurora , Corn

2. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Nimbus: Light purple aura and a scent of freshly dug earth after a rain.
    Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

PRE

Corn was in the Athenaum as well, reading about Aztec superstitions and making notes in a piece of paper. It was hard to concentrate with a magic item and a ghost in the area.

As his speak with the dead spell has failed by now, he decides to renew it. Belle is interrupted by Corn's chanting in High Speech.
    1 success

"Very interesting. This is the second somewhat reliable source that claims that a sect of Mesoamerican Priests under the Aztec Empire held a divergent view on burial under the moon, attaching interesting superstitions to the act." he says to the ghost in a low volume as he checks the screen, that most probably doesn't care.

The Athenaum counts as sanctum thread? We have put down sanctum dots so it makes sense.

Spells active: Speak with the dead
    Active 1/6
    Spell tolerance 1/3
    For scene effects, see Minisheet. No monthly rituals at this time.
    Occult 4 because Mysterium is about the knowledge!

4. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post

Yes, dots are bought and therefore it can be used as a private scene.
    Keep in mind that each Sanctum can only be used for one scene at a time - but the Mysterium meeting is about to be closed anyway (hinthint, nudgenudge).

Belle, es hinted at in TH - analyzing the Artifact is 30 minutes per roll, so it's really more suited for a solo scene, unless you want to just prepare with all your tools

The ghost is not always manifested, but for the sake of Corn's storytime we can assume her being there, looking longingly to the distance and seldomly reacting to outside stimuli.

Feel free to tag me if you need anything!

Rose Among Thorns
    Matriarch
    Presence
    (Friendly)
    Direction Sense
    (I Know The Way)
    Danger Sense
    (Spidey Adjacent)
    Occultation
    (Blinded by Thorns)
    Belle

Nimbus: Cracks in space appear just over her skin, shaped like toothy, hellish maws. If she's extra and especially angry, those maws will speak.
    PRP Stats

2/5 Personal Spells
    1/3 Vulgar Spells
    Health

Equipment: Knife, Minivan, Shoulder Bag (magnifying glass, flashlight, plastic gloves), Smartphone, Wallet ($50), Artifact (see minisheet)
    Combat Stats

OCC
    PRE

Belle hears the High Speech flow through the air and grins as she recognizes some of the syllables and intonations from her lessons with Aurora. "You think our Fair Lady might've been victim to some ritual? I know Vikings and Egyptians had some pretty crazy ideas of taking things with them to the afterlife."She flinches a bit as she looks at the Choker, not wanting to speak ill of the...dead. Does it really count if they're still lingering?

There's a buzz, and she picks up her phone. Reads the screen. "Sounds like it's just us for the moment. Aurora's taking the day off. I can't blame her; I bet she wants to do some freakin' yoga stretches after the hammering she took, not to mention being stuck unconscious without arms for a hot minute." She didn't feel guilty, per se, but she still cared about her fellow Mage. Enough of the 'what ifs'! We've got stuff in the present to solve.

She picks up a sketchbook and passes it over to Corn's desk. The page has a replica of the rune she'd copied from the Artifact burial sight. "Here's that rune sketch you wanted. Pretty neat, right?" No matter how much she learned about magic academically, she was always in awe of how beautiful it could look.

2 successes

Moving back to her own desk, the Warlock begins twisting Mudras into being and weaving Prime around her senses and awakening them to magical phenomena. "Almost ready to get a closer look at this thing. Kind of surprised we didn't come across any cursed nastiness with this thing. Thankful, but surprised." Never look a gift pegasus in the mouth.

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

PRE

"The drawing is accurate and captures the guy's power. We could send that to the other Mysterium Orders and ask if they know anything more about the guy or simply to show the rune and build some Guanxi with them. Gives me a reason to talk to them so they won't consider us backwater hillbillies when it comes to magic and consilia.
    And yes, I think that guy wanted his dead woman to stay around while he was alive. The man was a necrophiliac obsessed with Dina. - Oh, I call the ghost Dina. Not to her face though, that would be disrespectful. When I refer to her or think of her, I think of her as Dina. She can be a great listener, you know. But it makes me sad to see her forever longing for that guy that will never come.
    "

Before Belle starts casting, Corn says.
    "A pity Aurora is not here. Before you do anything, know that I can't cure you or give you any mana so you can heal yourself. Phoenyx is nearby so if something happens you can bank on her. Do you want me to cast any spell on you? I ... don't think I have much that can help you. I am pretty weak in everything but matter arcanum. "

8. Likes Aeolus, BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Rose Among Thorns
    Matriarch
    Presence
    (Friendly)
    Direction Sense
    (I Know The Way)
    Danger Sense
    (Spidey Adjacent)
    Occultation
    (Blinded by Thorns)
    Belle

PRP Stats

2/5 Personal Spells
    1/3 Vulgar Spells
    Health

Combat Stats

OCC
    PRE

"Hillbillies? Come on, we're in So Cal. We're hipsters." She pokes at Corn. "Whoever that guy ways, he was clearly riding some delusions of grandeur. I got some serious Obrimos vibes from his 'Chosen One' speeches and his casting." Though the friendly Theurgists she knew were far more humble.

"A...seriously. Damn, no wonder you sounded so pissed." Belle's own hackles raise at the thought. No Mage...no human had any right to mistreat anyone like that. "Dina? Any significance to the name?" It doesn't sound too spectacular. "All the same, it's nice to have a name for a person. Even a dead one."

She pulls the gloves tight and taps one finger, her magical ring showing under the material. "For Mana reserves I'm good. My Artifact has enough stored inside for two of me. I'm sure some Mage Armor wouldn't hurt though, as long as you're offering. Better safe than sorry." That was the main thing she'd picked up from their acquisition of Roxie's Choker. That and 'no plan survives contact with the enemy'.

10. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

PRE

"I was not talking about the Banisher. He came up to me, after you left. Well, I didn't see him, but he sent me his voice. I bet he has sympathy with me now, despite your efforts. Do you still have a way to track him? I don't want a guy like that after me and my family. I can't be sure he's insane or whether that was some big paradox hit, but I am not going to risk it. "

Corn spoke in High speech for a moment.

The magic went in easily.
    failure

4 successes

I forgot to add my tool to reduce the paradox. 2 targets: Corn and Belle. 5 armor, potency 4, duration: a day

Spell tolerance: 1/3
    Vulgar spells: 1
    Armor 5

12. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Rose Among Thorns
    Matriarch
    Presence
    (Friendly)
    Direction Sense
    (I Know The Way)
    Danger Sense
    (Spidey Adjacent)
    Occultation
    (Blinded by Thorns)
    Belle

PRP Stats

2/5 Personal Spells
    1/3 Vulgar Spells
    Health

Combat Stats

OCC
    PRE

Belle cracks her knuckles, feeling the Mage Armor coat her like translucent chain mail. "All right! Hold onto your butts, this is gonna take a while."

2 successes

Belle begins poring over Roxie's Choker with a fine-toothed arcane comb. Her first focus over the half-hour is on the Arcanums involved, mostly to see if she can try to dispel any damaging effects. The second focus is the number of target's the item's magic affects, to see if its power can be contained.

I believe I've interpreted the targets correctly, but please feel free to correct me.

Spell Tolerance 2/3; Vulgar 0; Armor 5

14. Likes Aeolus, Yumyumcrow liked this post

Belle goes to work, her Mage Sight not exactly specialized in analyzing Artifacts, but generally good enough to make out some key aspects of the choker. There was definitely Prime and Death woven into the Pattern of the necklace, an intricate and complicated work unlike everything she had seen in or around the tomb. It made sense of course: the Artifact had been around for a hot minute, so it didn't surprise her that the last owner's Resonance wasn't up in there. White and purple strokes of Resonance uncurled before the Mastigos' eyes, like petals of a flower. It felt.. benign, but she realized that this might as well be a trap, some sort of trick to lure people into a false sense of security.

The elaborate makeup of the Magic at play made it quite time-consuming to unravel everything - Belle couldn't quite make out how many people could be potentially targeted by all of this.

'Dina' proved not only to be a good listener, she also didn't seem to mind the Warlock's careful scrutiny. While she did perk up at first (with the by now expected delay), she apparently came to the conclusion that these actions didn't call for reaction on her part.. if indeed she even could react in any meaningful way.
    Of course this was just something Corn could see - both Mystagogues might be armored, but the gift of seeing the dead has been kept from Belle so far.

16. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

PRE

Active spells: 1/6
    Spell tolerance: 1/3Vulgar spells: 1
    Armor 5

Nothing to add, back to you BoxingUnicorn

18. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread