Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(2201) Jacque, Jennifer, Robert, Milton

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Jan 1, 2022 : (2201) Eternal Court
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

A deep bow is offered to the newly arrived Twist. Milton would've liked a moment to examine the Judex, but events are transpiring at a fast pace. When he straightens, his attention is immediately back on Jacque and then Robert when the newcomer's title is pronounced.

In an instant, Milton's innate enviousness seems to claw its way up from his stomach and settle at the back of the throat. Like a stone. A new Lord. A new contender. And an Alder...

But then, Jacque completes his introductions with...a new title for Milton. The knot in his throat dissolves instantly. Jealousy is forgotten. Milton is Whip of the Sacramento Lords. He struggles to hide his elation, trying to remain composed.

Hide Emotion, 1 success

"Thank you, Seneschal Jacque..." he replies to the Priscus. There's a pause, matching the Seneschal's own. Allowing the thanks to do double duty. Before turning to Robert, "...for the introduction. It is a pleasure to meet you, Alder Soldier Quartermain." A nod of recognition and respect. "Your arrival is a welcome development. I trust the city is to your liking?"

Jennifer's meaningful glance is returned before those bland, brown eyes travel back to Quartermain, "And please, allow me to introduce Lady Jennifer Hazelton, Notary of the First Estate and Priscus of the Nosferatu."

Continued from (2201) Eternal Court...
    Health: Vitae: WP: BP: 1

2. Likes liked this post
    Blood Potency
    R Quartermain
    Stats

Health:
    Monthly Avg. Vitae: 5
    Current Vitae:
    WP:
    Armor: 1/2
    Defense: 3
    Initiative: 8
    Speed: 9
    Tracker

R Quartermain Scenes

PRE

2 successes

The alder quirked an eyebrow at the subtle, if albeit well masked, shift in Milton. His first night in court was a living puzzle to solve as he unwound the tightly coiled politics of history between a city which already stood itself in good stead. Something in the Seneschal's response had caused that change - advancement, then? Perhaps this Mr. Northbridge was on the up-and-coming and would make good company.

"It is a city as lovely and welcoming as its people," he opined , as much in earnest as simply to see how the other would react, before he turned with the introduction to Jennifer, offering her a polite bow.

"Lady Notary Hazelton," he said as he rose, "the honor is mine. I am the Alder Soldier Robert Quartermain, and I had hoped to make your acquaintance this evening."

4. Likes , Endymion liked this post
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

The Lord made his way back to the trio that made up his prior company.

He echoed from the sentiments he expressed to the now departed Savage: "Happy New Year"

Jack smiled at the pristine presentation of Quartermain and added to his words, "Yes. You'll find there is a related letter working its way to being delivered to you, Lady Notary Hazelton."

Blood Hunt:

6. Likes liked this post
    Seneschal, Lady Notary, Priscus of the Nosferatu
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise

NOS
    PRE

"Congratulations." Jennifer reacts to the pleasant news for Mr. Northbridge with a pleasant smile. "Thank you for the wonderful introduction, Mr. Northbridge."
    Her voice was a serpent, crawling over decaying autumn leaves. She pauses for a moment, to allow Alder Quartermain to adjust to the supernatural Curse that afflicted her voice.

"It is wonderful to make your acquaintance, Alder Soldier Robert Quartermain." Her eyes travel him, searching for hidden messages. Already, she was wondering if he had the talent or will to train another.
    Her own outfit had a message. She wore a spider pin created with precious stones of emerald and diamond, and held a single bloom of blue convolvulus flower.

“I look forward to it, Seneschal Jack.”
    Jennifer gave him a pleasant smile, a glance between allies.
    Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

"I am truly glad to hear that," Milton replies to Quartermain. "Her Grace's domain is, indeed, a bastion of peace, order, and prosperity. I am sure your addition to our ranks will only enhance these qualities, Alder Soldier Quartermain." A compliment, surely, but also a statement of expectations. "Might I ask where you join us from?" His appearance is bland, but those eyes are ever-watchful. Keen. Probing.

The Seneschal returns from his errand and Mable departs, Milton has been keeping tabs on their interaction out of the corner of his eye. "A Happy New Year to you," Milton replies to Jacque. What's another year to the undead? Not much. But the forms must be obeyed. "Not to pry, but I'm curious if anyone has committed to any resolutions?" Milton glances about the group. What might they say?

"Thank you, Lady Notary Hazelton," The Lord says, looking a touch humbled by the development. But not too much. The serpent-slither of her voice strikes a chord of primal terror somewhere deep inside him. But he's growing accustomed to the sound. "You are, as always, too kind." Her thanks for the introduction is met with a dutiful nod. His eyes linger on the bloom Jennifer's chosen this evening. He revels in its secret meanings: night, repose. And something more, something the Priscus of Haunts once shared with him...

9. Likes liked this post
    Blood Potency
    R Quartermain
    Stats

Health:
    Current Vitae:
    WP:
    Tracker

R Quartermain Scenes

PRE

failure

The haunt's voice crawled down his spine like a living thing and he was momentarily thankful for the grace of the notary to allow him the moment to become accustomed to it; his beast fluttered to life in his heart again as much as he would allow it, his unease certainly showing on his face as he tried to school his features into a polite neutral. He allowed himself a single moment to compose himself again, taking in the appearance of the Notary. His own was a carefully blank canvas, save for the gold and amethyst inlaid cufflinks. A purposeful choice, to make no statement too early, and to invite the prospect of a blank page upon which much could yet be written.

"I am late of New York," he replied to Milton, "though I will admit I have spent overmuch of time within the grips of torpor and so I found myself craving new views and vistas."

His grey eyes traced over the members of the conversation, making sure that his positioning in their cluster was such that he was not excluding the Seneschal nor the Notary - and indicating he knew exactly what this was; an interview, of sorts, with the two of them watching the discussion between him and Milton.

"And you, Mr. Northbridge? May I take your recent accolade to indicate you have been a member of Her Grace's court for some time?"

11. Likes liked this post
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Between the stirring of his beast and the discomfort from the cursed voice the Lord found himself almost eager to return to giving himself space... but no, that would not stand. Family, Allies and dare he say friends were within the proximity. "Oh..." he mulled over Milton's topic of small talk. "A year at a time I suppose." He paused a moment before elaborating, "Aiming to be better than I was the year before has not failed me yet." He offered his non-answer with a shrug and a smile.

He turned to and lifted his eyebrows towards Hazelton, seemingly interested in what resolution she might have, if any.

Of course he could answer Quartermain's questions himself, but where would the fun be in that? The Lord was content to trace his eyes back to Milton in wait for his response.

Blood Hunt:

13. Likes liked this post
    Seneschal, Lady Notary, Priscus of the Nosferatu
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise

NOS
    PRE

Dark brown eyes observe Milton. Privately, she is pleased by how Mr. Northbridge paints the Prince’s Domain.
    “Resolutions?” She tastes the word, her snake – like voice licking the undead eardrums. “I haven’t thought about those for some time.”
    No doubt there were ideas on what Jennifer’s hopes for a New Year would be.
    “To contribute my best to Prince Alessandra Antinori’s Domain; and to do the same with the incomparable First Estate.”
    Jennifer makes a small motion with her head, a delicate lady – like nod to Mr. Northbridge, acknowledging his well-chosen words.
    Dark brown eyes tick somewhere over Milton’s shoulder.

The Nosferatu collects little bits of information from around the room. A glance, a snatched word. Although the cluster of the Mekhet Priscus and her cousin, Mr. Wells, and Jennifer’s own cousin, Helen, received a glance. Her own face remains composed and her demeanor one of lady – like grace.
    2 successes

Her eyes move over the Alder soldier, wordlessly acknowledging his care in position.
    “You may be interested to know that Mr. O’Brien, Whip of the Nosferatu, has spent some time in New York. Perhaps you can find something in common, Alder Soldier Quartermain.”
    The longevity of both Kindred was something that impressed itself to Jennifer, yet she does not wave all of the information in Court.
    Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Read Robert's Emotions, 2 successes

Jennifer's voice obviously unsettles Quartermain. That does not surprise Milton in the least. Time and exposure have taught him to expect the chilling effect of that voice. Enough, at least, to mute the most apparent reactions. But one never truly gets used to it. Nonetheless, Milton notes the minor slip in presentation. Files it away for later consideration.

"New York," Milton repeats, as if saying the name for the first time in a long time.. "A wonderful city." Though he had not been in years. And never after his death. Bland, brown eyes track back and forth between the Soldier and the Notary as she informs Quartermain of Connor's commonalities.

Hide emotions, failure

Robert's talk of torpor fascinates the Lord. And though he might try to hide it, it's quite clear his interest is piqued. "Yes, I imagine that must be so, Alder Soldier Quartermain. And I believe the domain will provide you with everything you're looking for." He stops himself there with a little difficulty, not wanting to say something impolitic out of curiosity. It's the only force that can make Milton act rashly.

Luckily, the topic changes. To his recent appointment. So much for playing it off with the new face. He offers an appreciative nod for Quartermain's recognition nonetheless.

"It's been nearly a year since I stepped into this very room for the first time," Milton says breezily. And what a disaster... There is some satisfaction in Edward's absence however. He'd survived that fool's attempt at sabotage. And look at Milton now. "I am grateful for my time here. And for the trust placed in me," inclining his head toward Jacque.

The Seneschal's artful non-answer is appreciated. Milton understands the technique behind such empty statements. "Quite so," he responds to Jacque. "To another year of being better." Matching vacuity with vacuity.

Jennifer's own, more earnest answer is met with a nod of respect, "An admirable and essential endeavor. Permit me to join you."

He chuckles at himself for a moment, "And here I was planning to learn how to make a chair. I must elevate my resolution." A joke. Though he's serious about the wood working.

16. Likes liked this post
    Blood Potency
    R Quartermain
    Stats

Health:
    Current Vitae:
    WP:
    Tracker

R Quartermain Scenes

PRE

"I am grateful for my time here. And for the trust placed in me," inclining his head toward Jacque..
    “Trust is the most valuable of coin,” the solder agreed, sincerely. “Slow to earn and quick to spend.”

The memories that filtered in the back of his mind ticked softly like some ancient clock. Had he said those words? Had some long forgotten mentor? What lesson had he been taught which had prompted that? Something from before his manumission? Something trial and tribulation while he still breathed or from the courts of the early days of his Requiem. Either way, perhaps, it didn’t matter.

“If our clan is of any need,” he continued, though his pride rankled at the admission he was to make, “though my means be yet humble, my services and skills are at the clan’s disposal.”

“You may be interested to know that Mr. O’Brien, Whip of the Nosferatu, has spent some time in New York. Perhaps you can find something in common, Alder Soldier Quartermain.”
    Quartermain nodded to the Haunt, a small smile crossing his face. “How small the world is, despite seeming to grow ever larger,” he mused, before his expression returned to his normal, overly serious, expression. “I thank you, Lady Notary. Could I impose upon your evening for the courtesy of an introduction if you find the time to do so?”

Some part of his mind already began scanning the room for who she might be referring to – trying to analyze the puzzle in front of him. It could be something as simple as it seemed – a friendly attempt to help a new member of the city connect with existing residents. His experience, however, even through the fog of memory, told him that Hazelton was one of those members of the Estate that did nothing without purpose. What then was the significance of this Haunt she referred to and what intent lay under it?

18. Likes liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread