Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Diamonds in the Dark Rough

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

HP: 0/7 [7 Bash]
    WP: 0/2
    Vitae: 2/6

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

Def: 3 (Dex; Tonfa +1)
    Armor: 1/0 (Reinforced Clothing)
    Initiative: 4
    Speed: 9

PRE

Conner sends out an invitation for the Haunt Bellemy to his Haven; a small studio apartment in downtown Sacramento. To say he was comfortable was a bit of a stretch, but he's confirmed that Bellamy shares an interest in the stranger parts of their world, so he's glad to have found someone with as much of a fascination as him. It was more the fact that the only other Kindred he'd shared his Haven with was technically Maeve. And I doubt Bellamy is a cuddler.

He sits over his desk, free of sensitive materials but still full of books about everything from religion to mundane occult practices like tarot. Any moment now, he can imagine he'll hear the Haunt's knock. And then we'll see if these allies can hold small talk...
    Bellemy

PRP Stats: In Minisheet

2. Likes liked this post

Bellemy Salem
    Presence
    (Dreadful)
    Fame
    (Author (Pen Name))
    Contact
    (Street)
    Contact
    (News Media)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Bellemy

Nosferatu Curse:

Phisically deformed head and mouth with shark-like teeth and a grotesquly emaciated body, too long nails and a palpable aura of inappropriateness.

FAME
    NOS
    PRE

The darkened figure of Bellemy strode boldly through the hallways of the apartment. Face uncovered for all the world to gawk at. The haunt wore black cargo pants and black button down utility top giving the impression of a military uniform. A dark green flight jacket and fourteen hole doctor Marten's completed the eighties throwback ensemble. Around the creature's neck hung a necklace, the only visible sign of vanity.

Bellemy checked the apartment number against the cell phone and nodded. This is the place. In a firm smooth motion Bellemy knocked on the door.

Curse: See Minisheet

4. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

PRE

Almost feeling the knock before he hears it, Conner gets up from his desk and lets Bellemy in. The sudden seeping presence of her predatory aura coupled with the Haunts unique Curse makes his own inner monster wriggle in discomfort. But Conner wills himself to show a hospitable smile; one of the key elements of leadership is accepting others. At least until they overstay their welcome. "Good evening, Miss Bellemy. Please come in." There's a small table to the side that could be used for a makeshift dining room, but has clearly been commandeered for study. Two chairs sit at either side, and Conner offers one chair for his guest. "So, I'm curious about your experience with the stranger aspects of our world. I'm sure you're aware to some extent of my abilities?" ​She at least seemed familiar with the concept of magic. And one couldn't learn much about the arcane in Kindred circles without coming to grips with the larger realities of their dark world.

Bellemy Salem
    Presence
    (Dreadful)
    Fame
    (Author (Pen Name))
    Contact
    (Street)
    Contact
    (News Media)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Bellemy

Nosferatu Curse:

Phisically deformed head and mouth with shark-like teeth and a grotesquly emaciated body, too long nails and a palpable aura of inappropriateness.

FAME
    NOS
    PRE

Bellemy nodded graciously and entered the apartment. With an appreciative look around the apartment Bellemy said politely "Very nice apartment. Looks markedly better then a hole in the ground." referring to the Nosferatu's own home.

The haunt moved as directed to the table and took a seat. The creature reached out one bony hand and ran it across the table, silently appraising the workmanship. In answer to Connor's question the haunt said. I am fairly versed in many aspects of what the modern world labels the occult. I have always found worldly superstitions to be of a particular interest to me. But to be completely honest I have seen very little during my second life of actual practices beyond the powers granted to us by the blood." The haunt turned dark eyes to Conner. "If that makes sense?"

7. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

The compliment might've rubbed Conner the wrong way had Conner not been aware of Nosferatu and that they literally live underground. "Perhaps, though I am envious of your in-house pool." He banters, if only to distract the inner monster that wants to shove Bellemy out the door and lock it. The hand over the table doesn't go miss either. She has an appreciation for finer details? ​Or maybe it's some batlike second sense thing?
    That's not how we work.

He folds his hands and interlaces his
    fingers as he ponders Bellemy's statement. "Interesting. When you say superstition do you mean luck or divination? Tarot perhaps?" There had been a time...a dark time...when he'd dabbled in such arts. "I'm familiar with the rudimentary concepts."

He nods in affirmative to her question. "I see. In practice our Blood powers can produce results that some would call 'magical' without being true magic itself. How familiar are you with the works of the Lancea Sanctum or the Circle of the Crone?" He wasn't about to share trade secrets, but it wouldn't hurt to know how much he'd be willing to explain and how much she'd be open to hear.

Bellemy Salem
    Presence
    (Dreadful)
    Fame
    (Author (Pen Name))
    Contact
    (Street)
    Contact
    (News Media)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Bellemy

Nosferatu Curse:

FAME
    NOS
    PRE

Belley laughed at Conner's jest. "I can see that being true. The pool is the pride of the necropolis. I am working on bettering the conditions" Bellemy let out a sigh. "But it's slow going." Bellemy could not help but recall the old adage of a pig in lipstick. Try as the haunts may the basement will always be a basement.

Moving on to Conner's question Bellemy answered. "I Have always had a draw toward the hidden things. In my work as an author I had spent several years researching what, at the time I would have called supernatural. The old myths and legends. I amassed quite a colletion of superstition from celtic sidhe to Russian Baba Yaga and a smattering of the in between." Bellemy paused to gauge if Conner was bored then added. "Then of course I was embraced and my eyes truly opened."

Bellemy looked sheepish at his second question and answered. "Well to be quite honest with you. I have heard the rumors that are spoken whenever ours gather to gossip. But in terms of the truth of it? I know very little about either." Bellemy had no reason to hide the lack of knowledge. Conner had a way of making the haunt feel comfortable and a little show of weakness did not diminish the beast.

10. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

The predator doesn't appreciate all this small talk of home decor. Good. Chew on that for a bit. He was beginning to appreciate the Haunts' sense of humor.

Conner didn't show boredom, if anything his interest seemed to increase.
    "Was this interest in mythology academic?" Or were you like me, and noticed things between the lines? He doesn't say the last part aloud, but wonders if Bellemy is just as perceptive as he is...was.

The Haunt's admission of ignorance ignites a predatory spark of ego.
    How cute; just wait until my sorceries grow and surpass anything you can comprehend. "The secrets of the Covenants are well guarded, to be sure. Amongst the Lancea Sanctum these powers are known as 'Dark Miracles'." He says this with a solemn reverence. "Unlike the Disciplines that come directly from our cursed blood, powers like Dark Miracles can twist nature. For example: I can pour Vitae into objects and convert them into artifacts called 'reliquaries' that can distribute this Vitae at will. It's a technique I may use while we're on assignment." Which was why he felt comfortable describing this cheapest of conjurer's tricks to the Haunt. It would certainly save time on explaining it in the moment.

Bellemy Salem
    Presence
    (Dreadful)
    Fame
    (Author (Pen Name))
    Contact
    (Street)
    Contact
    (News Media)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Bellemy

Nosferatu Curse:

FAME
    NOS
    PRE

Bellemy took a moment to consider an answer. "If I take time to consider it. I would think it more as if I was drawn to it. I consumed everything I could get my hands on. Which in terms of actual practical things was not a lot."

The haunt nodded along as Conner explained the basic principles. Bellemy felt as though he was skirting around the truth but in his explanation he had revealed far more than the creature had known previously. The concept of storing Vitae was very interesting. An interesting phrase stuck out at the end of his sentence. "While we are on assignment" What does that mean? Does he know something I don't? or is he merely speaking hypothetically? Instead of reacting to that the haunt chose to continue the conversation with "That must be wonderfully useful, How long did it take you to master that particular trick? and how do you feel that may be most useful to you?"

13. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

"I've felt that sensation before; I think C.S. Lewis once called it 'a longing for another world'. Though he was referring for the humans search for the divine." There was a very clear difference in Conner's mind between the spiritual need for God and the writhing extraplanar madness that was the magical reality of their world. "I imagine there was plenty of material to consume, depending on which mythologies you were interested in. There has to be several centuries worth of written tradition to go through, not counting some of the more modern...extrapolations." He wrinkles his nose a bit. He wasn't a fan of 'New Age' ideology.

He allows a rueful smile. Something about this sharklike Haunt was growing on him; this curiosity for the more
    fantastical aspects of their shared world. "Longer than I'd like. It takes a certain headspace to make progress in studying magic of any stripe, and I've had quite a few distractions. As for its use, the immediate application is making sure Kindred in the field don't succumb to hunger." He thinks to the desperation he'd had during the fiasco in Arkwright Cemetery. The hunger for blood and panic of the moment had driven to make some pretty embarrassing blunders. "It could also replenish Vitae reserves after short bursts of power, though I've never tried using one in the heat of the moment. The one downside is that the item, as a material component for our sorceries, is consumed in its use." He taps picks up a stray piece of paper from his desk and brings it to the table. "If, for example, I converted this page into a reliquary, it would turn to ash after the Vitae was removed. Though you couldn't, for example, stab the paper and make it bleed." ​Oooh! I wonder what she'd think of that imagery? Maybe use it for some gruesome inspiration for her writings?

15. Likes liked this post

Bellemy Salem
    Presence
    (Dreadful)
    Fame
    (Author (Pen Name))
    Contact
    (Street)
    Contact
    (News Media)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Bellemy

Nosferatu Curse:

FAME
    NOS
    PRE

Bellemy considered the shadow's words. How apt a suggestion! yes I do believe so. Bellemy nodded and gave voice to the sentiment. "Yes I think Mr. Lewis may be on to something. That expression is very much like how I felt about the occult."

Bellemy could not help but smile in childish delight at the memories of the once human who experimented in everything from wiccan wealth rituals to Llewellyn tarot. "I dipped my toes into many spheres of practice. Golden Dawn, Kabbalah, Dream Reading. A little bit of everything. I have dabbled in the ancient rights of Lugh and the Tuatha De Danann and The Morrigan. Horus god of magic and Odin the all father and the like. Nothing that I have ever read or tried turned out to be real." Bellemy stopped to make a correction "Or at least, as real as your magic that is."

Bellemy looked thoughtful. "Not to say I have given up hope. Our current condition precludes instant dismissal of old tales. We exist so what else may?"

The haunt listened with great interest as Conner spoke about his true magical experience. "I can Certainly see how that would be most useful. Hmm, If you are ever looking to experiment with limitations I would be happy to assist. It may be a good idea to practice a life or death experience before actually being placed in one. Being able to see first hand your magic work would be all the reward I would require."

The haunt looked at the paper contemplatively. A small grin formed from the lips. "Well that is another interesting point. Paper is abundant but fragile so you would want to use things that are more sturdy but at the same time not precious. For the object is destroyed. Tell me, if you used a book, is it one reliquary or could you fill each page as separate objects? How much can you store? If it stores the blood but does not bleed where does it go? I fear you have invested me with a million questions." Bellemy looked truly interested.

17. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread