Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

An evening conversation

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Seneschal, Lady Notary, Priscus of the Nosferatu
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise

NOS
    PRE

The address that Jennifer gave to Milton led him to a small house. It’s a middle-class neighborhood: the houses are too run-down to be a bland suburbia, but it’s quiet and clean. On the approach, a camera is visible panning over the driveway. There is a two-car garage with an automatic garage door. A camera peers down onto the front step, motion activated.

The home appears to be well furnished. It is furnished in light honey wood tones and subtle light blues and greens. There is a dining room in sight, a long wooden table has been decorated with a green and gold table runner. There is a tall glass vase holding a blue convolvulus flower on the dining table. The dining room is the largest room in the snug house, with a few potted plants lining the far wall. A new addition has been added to the dining room - a painting of the execution of Lady Jane.
    A small camera is visible watching the back door out of the tidy and small kitchen. The kitchen has a few small notebooks and a desk blotter, where one can stand on the counter and write with provided pens kept in a handmade wooden cup. An old gift from a former Coterie mate. Beside the dining room, a hall leads to a bathroom and a bedroom. Both have black out curtains in cornflower blue.

In the main living space, there is a window with heavy black out curtains in cornflower blue. A fire extinguisher is beside the window, tucked by a small end table. The curtains are drawn, concealing the outside. Two small electric lights are set in end tables in the corner of the room, providing just enough light for the snug little room. The sitting area is composed of a leather love seat against the window. Facing the love seat are a pair of dark blue arm chairs in birch veneer. Both chairs are carefully set so they have a view of the front door.
    There is a new painting hung where it is visble from the seating area. It is “Reading,” 1888. Berthe Morisot.
    A low coffee table squats in the center. The table holds two books: The book on investing in Real Estate and [i]Art beyond the west[i] By Michael Kampen - O'Riely, PHD.

Liam, having been told to be on alert, answers the door and admits the Lord at his approach. Milton may note that a state of the art alarm system has been installed since the prisoner had been kept at this location. The ghoul takes any accessories Milton has brought to hang on the coat rack near the door. The ghoul leads Milton respectfully into the living area, where Jennifer is standing.
    Jennifer is dressed in a long sleeve green dress in velvet. Her neck and left side of her shoulder is completely obscurred by a camel brown colored silk scarf, artfully draped. A brown topaz gemstone sparkles on the pin, revealing a spider pin.
    "Mr. Northbridge, I trust you found the place alright. Do have a seat.."
    Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

2. Likes Endymion liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Milton arrives at the appointed time. He'd had no trouble finding the location. After all, he's been here before. Stayed the night in one of the house's closets. When it comes to the undead, you don't get much more familiar than that.

He appears, as always, in a well-tailored (if forgettable) suit. Tonight, it is charcoal grey. A dark purple tie adds a little color. He is carrying, a little awkwardly, a potted plant--more a small shrub--in one arm. The pot is a charming, darkly glazed, clay. It is small enough to join the others that Milton remembers from his last visit. But it will grow larger in time and will likely need to be replanted outside.

The Lord offers Liam a perfunctory nod at the door and follows the ghoul into the living room, noting the changes that have been mades since his last visit. There he finds Jennifer, mistress of the house in full regalia. He offers the Haunt a nod of deep respect, a genuine smile blooming on his bloodless face. "Lady Notary Hazelton," he says, "good evening. And thank you for having me." He hefts the potted plant, presenting his gift, before offloading it with Liam. "Gooseberry. As I could not find a sprig, I brought you the whole plant." His smile turns a little wry at his own joke. "I thought it might make a fine addition to your collection."

Once the ghoul takes his gift, Milton assumes the proffered seat, "I hope you have been well since last we spoke?"
    Health: Vitae: WP: BP: 1

City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise

NOS
    PRE

"Mr. Northbridge. It is good to see you."

3 successes

She read the message. She gives the Ventrue a small nod, an acknowlegement that she knew what he was about. "Thank you for the gift, Mr. Northbridge. I do like the presentation."
    Liam carries the pot to the dining table, arranging it.

The Lady regards Milton for a moment. Searching for signals.
    "It finds me busy. Investigations. I have started the groundwork for an LLC to purchase a location for my Salon. I am still deciding if salon is what I shall call it. Thoughts?

I do know that the site shall have a rotating art exhibit.
    The preparations for the upcoming meeting of the First Estate are what I am focusing on now.
    It has been a few months since we spoke. What have you been up to?"
    Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

5. Likes Endymion liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Milton is pleased that Jennifer expresses pleasure at his presence. It is good to be welcomed. Better to be told so. And best to be told by an individual one holds in high regard. The Lord settles into his chair, unbuttoning his suit jacket with a practiced gesture, crossing one leg over the other. A touch stiff, but that should be expected: he is a corpse after all.

"Likewise," he replies softly, his smile persisting in its genuine warmth. "And it was the least I could do." Milton could not imagine arriving empty handed. And he knows Jennifers love of botany.

He listens as she details her nocturnal preoccupations with an intensity she is surely becoming acquainted with. When she asks after his thoughts, he unclasps his hands and holds them out in a gesture of reception and openness. "I do have thoughts, Lady Notary Hazelton. But, then again, that shouldn't come as a surprise," the last bit is said with a touch of self-deprecation. As if he's poking fun at himself for thinking slightly too much. "I've pondered your plan quite a bit since our walk in the garden and, I must say, 'salon' still appears, to my mind, as the perfect descriptor for what you propose. An intimate space for discussion, inquiry, debate, and the appreciation of aesthetic objects. That is precisely what the term meant in its original usage. I cannot think of a better word."

One pale hand is raised to his chin as he pauses, telegraphing a moment of consideration. This human gesture is made somehow unnatural when Milton performs it. "Indeed, I think it might be charming to play on the French origins of this word, in the sense it is being employed here, to provide a unique name for your space. Specifically, I wanted to propose the name 'Salon Longue Durιe,' where Longue Durιe is the coinage of the Annales School of history, indicating a view of historical events in terms of their broadest temporal and spatial contexts--geography, migration, large-scale economic trends, cultural persistence and mutation--rather than their punctual occurence. I think it nicely sums up your intentions, to push inquiry beyond the merely human limits. To promote understanding in the key of asymptotic eternity." The Kindred register, rather than the Kine.

His smile becomes a little apologetic, "But, perhaps I am being too grand. In the end, I am quite fascinating by the Annales School, so the name naturally occurred to me. Besides that, the construction has a...pleasing sound. To my ear at least."

What might she think of his suggestion? Milton's sure the Haunt will tell him. Her thoughtful, forthright manner, is one of the (many) things that recommend her company.

Now on to his nightly endeavors: "Busy, much like yourself. There have been many positive developments. I completed some...financial work for Priscus Durant. To happy result. But, more importantly, and more to your point concerning the upcoming meeting, I had a rather momentous meeting with Seneschal Jacque concerning the First Estate..." He gives her a meaningful look. Has she heard the news? What does she think?

City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

NOS
    PRE

Jennifer gives a small sincere smile at the statement Milton makes about having thoughts, it was why she had phrased her words that way.

"This brings me joy, Mr. Northbridge, for I do love using precise language. A salon it shall be."

Jennifer thought for a moment, thinking through the proposal.
    "Salon Longue Durιe." She tasted the proposed name, seeing how it rolled off the tongue.
    "A very intriquing thought, Cultural persistence and large scale econimic trends. I do think those would be relevant to the Salon."

"Ah, fiancial work for Priscus Durant? I am pleased that you have a happy result there.
    Any time spent with Priscus Durant is a pleasant evening, I am sure. I do hope that the two of you have been getting on well."

A moment of silence as she considered Milton's words. She met Milton's meaningful look with a knowing look.

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Milton is clearly pleased that she has taken his suggestions seriously. He respects, even admires, Jennifer. To have her confidence in such matters is, to his mind, a great compliment. "Precision and care in all things, Lady Notary. I believe you and I share that concern." He returns her smile.

"A salon," Milton echoes, approvingly. "And have you given any thought to your initial offering when it comes to art? The medium? The style?" He's clearly curious. Of course, he has more thoughts--but he's in no hurry to spill everything in his mind from his mouth.

Back to Quinn: "It was quite the undertaking, but the result was satisfactory. She certainly seemed to approve. It was my pleasure to provide her with the support." He considers something for a beat. "We discussed the possibility of forming a coterie. In a very preliminary fashion... A topic I've also meant to address with you." It's clear that he's not intent on pushing this particular angle should she demur. Especially given Quinn's reaction to his suggestion of Jennifer as someone to include in the proposed alliance. Still, he would be remiss not to mention it.

Jennifer's knowing look is answered with a sly smile. "Well, in any event, things on that front are moving forward steadily. And I am glad for the opportunity. Perhaps I could trouble you for some advice, some bit of wisdom for an individual in my position?"

City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

NOS
    PRE

"Indeed, we do share that. I will have to ask your opinion about artists in a moment. I had been thinking about O' Keeffe... Yet you have mentioned something that captured my attention. You and Priscus Durant have spoken about forming a coterie?

Do you mind if I inquire what was said? I am ever so curious."
    Her dark eyes glinted with curiousity.

"I know that she was close with Mr. Smith. I have been meaning to see how she is doing with his departure." A pause.
    "I have a great deal of respect for Priscus Durant, which I want to be remembered when I inquire if you have spoke with her about her relationships, those she has had in the past."

Jennifer considers in silence for a beat. Two.

"I would be glad to speak about your position. I am flattered you think to ask me for advice." A touch of a sly smile.

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

"As you know, I have many opinions." A pause. O'Keeffe? That should be an interesting conversation. Milton's never been fond, especially of her much-vaunted flower paintings. Though her desert landscapes can hold a certain charm...

Her interest in the topic of a coterie is clear. It sends a thrill through Milton. Could she be open to the idea? There's a darkness at the edge of these thoughts, though: if she is, will Quinn accept the arrangement, given her response to his proposal to include Jennifer in the discussions? This is a delicate matter, and Milton proceeds accordingly.

"Certainly, I am happy to share," he responds with a smile. "Though there is not very much to report at present. It was only a preliminary conversation. We'd completed...other business and I brought up the possibility before retiring for the night, if only to introduce the idea for further discussion at a later date. She seemed receptive," he continues, "though keen to meet again to fully exchange our thoughts on the matter. She did mention an inclination to finding another member who is relatively fresh to the domain, driven by a need to prove themselves..." Who that might be, he can only guess. Perhaps Connor. He remembers seeing them looking very intimate on that strange rooftop some nights previous. "Though, as you say, JC is gone." No big loss to Milton's thinking. "And I know she had some manner of relationship with Dirt Nap, though I am not sure what transpired..." She'd mentioned a conversation with the Savage as a source of paranoia in regard to their own interactions...

"In any event, as a valued ally and," there's a moments hesitation, "friend, I obviously wanted to broach this possibility with you." Would she reciprocate his statement of affection? Has he overstepped his bounds? "I wonder how the idea strikes you, Lady Notary Hazelton?" Retreating into the use of formal language to hedge against any seeming impropriety.

"I always value your advice," he says respectfully. "And I relish the chance to solicit it." A few moments pass in silence. Milton is clearly thinking. "I suppose my question is simple: as an individual petitioning for entry into the First Estate, I am most concerned with my presentation. I want to exhibit both a level of ambition worthy of the Invictus and a certain measure of humility that speaks to an understanding of my junior station. You, no doubt, have seen many in my position attempt to navigate such competing priorities. Would you be open to sharing stories of success, or failure, that may inform my own approach?"

City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

NOS
    PRE

Milton is happy to share what he knows or what transpired. A reserved smile spreads across her lips, touching her autumnal brown eyes.
    "It is wise to consider such a proposition." She offers her opinion on the Priscus' agreeing to further discussion at a later date. Another member who is relatively fresh to the Domain? Her mind lists the Kindred who could be considered fresh. It is the scholar in her to consider who should be watched. Who would rise above the average, faceless crowd?
    "Whip O'Brien would be my first guess. Are you friendly with Whip O'Brien? I had a thought that ... Miss Wei Lin ... could be promising. Yet of late, I have not heard a whisper of her."

If Milton had been looking for something, Jennifer deftly avoids hearing the unasked question.
    Brown eyes regard Milton for a beat, her expression smoothed into a lady - like expression of polite interest.

3 successes

"A delicate word, friend."

Her Cursed voice creeps more softly, the serpent poised over the crumbled autumn leaves. There is no expression of displeasure or anger on her face.

"You want to broach the possibility of you forming a coterie with Priscus Durant and an unnamed, unknown element? My first advice would be caution. You and I have spoken on what a crucible Sacramento is. Look to my friend Mr. Clay's departure, he who had been here for some time. He had some prospects here.

I would not consider joining with someone until they had made Sacramento their home for at least six months. Study their flaws, for all Kindred have a Beast that battles within our breast.
    You need to know the motivations of potential coterie mates. Why do they wish to join their fate with yours? For you will have your association with your coterie weighed against you if they act unbecoming. Every aspect of your coterie members will be examined in relation to you. If you choose to join a coterie composed of Kindred of different Covenants, it says a message. "
    You see my flaw."
    She leans in slightly.
    "I explore every possibility with the mind of a scholar. You see, I once invited a young newcomer to join a coterie with my coterie mate and I. We were trusting. She turned out to be unworthy. We brought her seditious words to the Reeve ourselves." A somber pause.
    "You were curious how the idea of a coterie strikes me." A perceptive look to Milton.
    "I am curious as well. You ask the question as an invitation to discuss an opportunity between the two of us?”

2 successes

"You want to balance your perceived motivation. Ambition is wed to humility. I am encouraged that you already are thinking of these two important traits.
    For every newcomer must pay respects to the elders. To those who came before them. One of the best tenants of the Invictus in my view, is attracting a mentor. Someone to guide you over your Danse. Our meritocracy of the First Estate provides opportunity."
    A pause here, a look into his eyes to see if he had absorbed the thought.
    "I am sure you are aware of one such failure. I was petitioned to offer teaching to an established member of the First Estate and his protege on the skeleton of the First estate - Blood Oaths. I do not spoon feed my teaching.

The Oaths require a bit of basic understanding. When one desired for me to spell out the differences between two aspects, I began to suspect that Mr. Heinrich was not willing to invest some elbow grease. Or mental focus. Worse, I was able to sense that something about the instruction annoyed him.”
    Now, her smooth expression showed emotion. Her own annoyance.
    “I cannot honestly say what the issue was, as nothing was stated.
    I impress upon you – do not repeat the mistake.”

There were a few ideas wrapped in the experience, and she wondered what Mr. Northbridge would sense.

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Milton nods at the mention of Connor. His reaction is quick, telling. It's obvious that he's already considered the possibility. "Whip O'Brien and I have been involved in several actions on behalf of the domain." One of which, the struggle against the raiders, Jennifer is intimately familiar with. "His value is clear to me, I assure you." Though his intelligence... "I can't claim to be familiar with him beyond those actions. Though he has comported himself thoughtfully in shared social situations." It's clear that Milton is weighing Jennifer's mention of the Haunt. Her endorsement matters. But had she really endorsed the man?

"As for Ms. Wei Lin, I believe she is gone. Which I regret. We'd been working together to address a mysterious threat to the domain, along with Pastor Wells and Ms. Kingsley. She impressed me in the course of that affair..." He'd so looked forward to working with her on that factory visit. A shame.

He moves on, "Speaking of Ms. Kingsley. I've had occasion to speak with her a few times now. She possesses an understated intelligence..." Beneath...whatever that surface is. "I've also spoken with another of your cousins: Ms. Bellemy. Not as much as Ms. Kingsely. She is also quite intriguing. And clearly possessed of keen faculties. Your family is impressive, if you don't mind me saying so." He offers her a smile. Knowing that his compliment to her fellow Haunts is also a compliment to her. Well deserved in this case.

Read Emotions, 3 successes

A delicate word, friend... Milton shifts slightly in his chair. Has he overstepped his bounds? Perhaps. "Indeed...And I apologize if I've used it prematurely..." He does not sound bitter, perhaps slightly chastised. Though, on some level, still convinced in his use of the word.

He listens closely to her advice concerning potential coterie mates, appreciating her perspective. And the momentary change in topic. Though, in the end, it does not touch his true desire...

"Wise words, Lady Notary Hazelton, which apply to many situations it seems to me. I promise to take them to heart," even if it no longer beats.

Hide emotions, 1 success

Jennifer can see that, while he is glad for her words, he is looking for something else. Some other reaction from her. He is not quite satisfied.

This is confirmed when she asks directly after his motives. Milton offers her a rueful smile, as if caught in the act. "You have a sharp eye, Lady Notary Hazelton," he says admiringly, "and ear for that matter. Yes, my question--at root--is a question concerning your interest in a possible coterie. While Reeve Durant urged consideration of a less established candidate, I find myself persuaded by knowledge I already posses. Knowledge of your intelligence, your poise, your cunning, and your social acumen." A pause, to let the words sink in. "As you've said: the approach must be scholarly. And a scholarly approach requires data. When I consider said data, you present as the most desirable option in this regard. While I will understand if you are not interested, I would be remiss not to introduce the idea." Had he not already named her friend? No matter how indelicate, he'd meant it.

Making the Argument, 3 successes

Her words concerning ambition and humility are a relief. He could sigh, though he doesn't quite remember how. Wonderful to hear someone articulate it so perfectly. "I admit, the mentor relationship also excites me. I take joy in being a student. And to have such a teacher as Sacramento would offer is a great opportunity, to borrow your word." A pause. "Having lost my sire so early..." he trails off, seemingly unable to continue. But what he's thinking is: And what good was he to begin with, really? Indeed, Milton's chances of receiving true mentorship from Jacque and the other Sacramento Invictus are much better than they had been with Elias.

He has an idea of who Jennifer is referring to throughout the start of her parable. And then: There it is. His name. Of course. The Lord's only reaction is a wry twist of the lips. What else is there to say?

Besides, there are more interesting hints in the story... "The 'skeleton of the first estate?'" He echoes, turning the phrase into a question. He knows of oaths, vaguely. But nothing about them. Save for what he'd seen that night in the library with Jacque... And Milton is nothing if not curious. "I do not mean to pry, especially when I am still only knocking at the door, but you know me well enough to understand my curiosity..." Indeed, it is a trait they share, curiosity. He does not go on, not wanting to press. Unless she shows herself to be accommodating, of course.

Re: the manip+persuasion roll above, I accidentally entered a '5' in the extended roll field as well as the dice field. I've taken the results of the very first roll here, as that would have been the single roll. Let me know if this is incorrect or if I should re-roll. Sorry about that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread