Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

A necromancer's anxiety

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
    Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Nimbus: Light purple aura and a scent of freshly dug earth after a rain.
    Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life, WP to boost a roll, Paradox mitigation, Non-path magic, Getting out of Grapple

PRE

Corn was in the Athenaum, waiting for Aurora and, if they wanted to show up, Guru and Phoenyx . He was trying to work on the old laptop he has brought to the place but his mind is not in the task. He often stands and paces up and down. He had kept his anxiety in check for days, but as the time to have some serious discussion on the nature and risks of magic, of Stygia's magic, of his magic, it was building up.
    Corn is dressed in his dark clothes of modest quality, black trousers, gray shirt, dark gray sweater. He has brought decaffeinated coffee today for himself and has some cinnamon cookies in a small box.
    For scene effects, see Minisheet. No monthly rituals at this time.
    Occult 4 because Mysterium is about the knowledge!

2. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Multicolored copper bracelet with intricate loops winding around her right wrist.
    Nimbus

The sweet, fragrant smells of roses mixed with lilacs emanate from her as she casts magic. The scent intensifies, bordering on intoxicating, when Life magic is cast. When Aurora casts Vulgar magic, the scent takes a nasty turn, to the putrid, nauseating odor of a rotting corpse. The stronger the magic, the more those around want to retch at the smell.
    Monthly Spells

Monthly spells done on character sheet.

Pulse of the Living World[POT 6]
    Organic Resilience[POT 6]
    (PrP Treasure Hunt)

Active Spells: 1/6
    [Detect Substance]Bone
    Personal Spells: 2/3
    Vulgar:
    Mana:6/8
    WP:3

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

The Shaman wasn’t really sure what Corn wanted to talk about. But, she had told him in the past she’d be willing to meet with him in private if he needed.

So…yah. Here she is. Walking into the room sipping a coffee and dressed for the colder weather. Black skinny jeans, gray sweater and a black jacket. It was her color of the moment.

Offering a smile and nod, “Hey.” Black suede booties announcing her arrival. “What’s up?”

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life, WP to boost a roll, Paradox mitigation, Non-path magic, Getting out of Grapple

PRE

Corn heard the boots and felt better. Just that a fellow mage would be there, someone friendly he could talk to, was already better than worrying alone.
    " @Aurora , I am glad you showed up. I appreciate it. " Not knowing whether others will show up or not, Corn approached Aurora and left his coffee in a desk as he turned the seat, facing the desk, towards Aurora, pulling another chair for her to sit.
    "As I mentioned last month, Maria is pregnant. She doesn't know yet, but I do. I didn't do anything, it happened by nature as nature intended. It is what follows that... scares me, Aurora. I am a moros. My magic is not coming for a warm and cozy place that is aligned with birth and health.
    My own nature aside, the kid, whether boy or girl will be born in a world fraught with danger. From completely mundane dangers, to supernatural ones. All these, I have considered when we decided we want a kid with my wife, that is completely unaware of the depth of the shadows of this world. Considering such things though, is one thing when it is in the planning phase and another when there is a life, a life I have contributed at and carries my DNA, is growing in my wife's belly.

But I didn't call you about THOSE things. These I will deal with. It's not like other parents don't worry about their kids, and the natural side of the world offers dangers aplenty.
    What I am concerned with, and I would like your opinion as a Master of Life and a Mystagogue is... whether my magic can negatively affect my child as it is a fetus.

I completely abstain from use of magic close to Maria nowdays. In the past, I used to cast a simple good fortune spell on her when she left for a trip, with enough duration to see her until she arrived in her destination. Now I don't cause I am worried how my magic will affect my child. I don't cast shield or sight or anything while I am at home. I actually don't go home until 10-15 minutes have passed since I release any spell on me, just in case.
    "
    Corn realized he hadn't let Aurora get a word in...

"Apologies." He said with an uncomfortable smile. "I didn't call you all the way here so I can listen to my own voice. What I am trying to say is... do you know if and how my magic, my stygia-powered magic would affect my kid? Is my magic, Am I, dangerous to my unborn child? I want her or him to be healthy, Aurora. More than anything else in this world - or the Supernal worlds."
    Corn was biting his lips. He was quite distraught at the idea.

5. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), pair of daggers, tonfa, Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), motorcycle (street bike)
    Phoenyx

Nimbus: a pair of fiery scarlet wings unfurl her with an eagle's screech.
    Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Armour - 3/2 (Life/2, Trenchcoat)
    Health: Matriarch - 1B/7
    Willpower 3/3
    Mana: 9/9
    Vulgars Cast: 0
    Personal Spells 2/3
    [6] Supernal Vision (Monthly Ritual)
    [5$] 2E Life Shield (Monthly Ritual)
    Active spells: 3/7
    [3$] Complex Transmission

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), 2 spare clips, pair of daggers (one is magical focus), Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), Purse ($57, gun permit, driving license)
    Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

The Arrow had heard Corn was meeting Aurora at the Circle, and it sounded like the Moros needed help. Phoenyx took her oath to protect seriously, so it meant hearing people out - even if they were people she found particularly difficult to understand, as in this case. Corn was one of theose incredibly verbose people she found it hard to comprehend. So many words spoken that sifting through them for relevance or meaning became a necessity.
    Stuill, maybe he would be direct.

Such hopes were dashed when she turned the corner. Corn was speaking about being a Moros, then babies (at this point Phoenyx offers a small wave to Aurora), then his family, then his magic use before finally settling on the actual point of his request.

"No," she replies simply in answer to his question. "No more dangerous than you are to any other human." The Arrow walked around, a thick hoodie (that looked too big for the petite Obrimos) keeping out the chill with her dark combat pants.

"You seem to treat Magic like radiation. It does not behave that way. It does not corrupt or bleed into the air around us. Unless you cast a spell on your unborn child, it will be no more affected than anything else." Phoenyx watches the Moros quizzincally. It seemed he lacked some understanding of the Arcane Arts.
    Obrimos Adamantine Arrow, Cloaked Monthly Rits (in minisheet)

7. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Multicolored copper bracelet with intricate loops winding around her right wrist.
    Nimbus

The sweet, fragrant smells of roses mixed with lilacs emanate from her as she casts magic. The scent intensifies, bordering on intoxicating, when Life magic is cast. When Aurora casts Vulgar magic, the scent takes a nasty turn, to the putrid, nauseating odor of a rotting corpse. The stronger the magic, the more those around want to retch at the smell.
    Monthly Spells

(PrP Treasure Hunt)

[Detect Substance]Bone
    Vulgar:

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

A shrug, “I told you I would be here if you needed to talk.” So here she is.

Taking the chair, she sits, continuing to sip her coffee.

And there it was. The whole baby thing. Again. But slightly different.

“There would be danger rather you were Awakened or not. That’s just the world we live in.” plain…simple.

Then she blinks a few times…what?

Mouth opens, and then closes as she works on an answer, “I don’t know who or what has led you to believe magic can negatively affect through simply being around, but it can’t. It needs to be directed to the fetus, actively cast upon it. Like if one wished to end the pregnancy, then yes, magic could affect it.” Blunt and honest. “Now, if you or someone was careless with magic, and invoked a Paradox, then, well, there would be fall out that could include injury or worse to her and the fetus.” Cause there was no controlling those. "But there are spells that can alter a targets DNA, usually when a fetus, to create magical bloodlines. But that's something completely different. And once again, fucking with life and the universe."

Taking another sip, “Now, as a Master, I can tell you your magic cannot indirectly affect it.” These were weird questions.

“You are being way over the top about this. The biggest threat to it, is you casting a spell on a Sleeper and a Seeker seeing her. Cause lets face it, it’s a way to get to you, so I’d stop with that.” Cause connections. Weakness.

“Let nature do its thing. Don’t interfere and just make sure your wife is happy and rested.” Shrugging. That was what pregnant women needed right? Sounded right. “One of the hard things for us, the Awakened, is not interfering.” She might not be an Acanthus anymore, but she still believed in letting the universe do what it will.

The wave was returned to Phoenyx. Who was just as blunt as she was. Though with less explanation.

“See, the Arrow agrees.”
    Like she needed to be justified for her words. She didn’t. She was a Master and she knew.

9. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost

PRE

Corn sighed with relief. So, I was being stupid.
    His smile returned, "I have no words to thank you two enough, for putting my mind to rest. It may seem stupid to you, but I was stressing over this for a time. I will buy both of you dinner. You are good women, both of you. Supportive even when you think that I am over-reacting.
    After you ladies cleared the air, as in right now after days of stress... I figured that I am not the first person to ever become a father nor I am the first mage to have kids. The ... lack of kids in our side of the world caused the concern.
    "

He then turns to the @Arrow
    "Could you... help me learn a thing or two to protect my family, if I have to? Do you think that not having spells on my wife would actually make her safer from the supernatural world? "

Then he turned to Aurora
    "Maria is not aware yet, probably, that she is pregnant. She is probably a couple of weeks late, but as far as I know, she hadn't taken a test. The issues start when she does everyday things like having a bit of wine with dinner, or attempting to dust the tall shelves, standing on a stool.
    If I cast something in the house, and I contain the paradox, and an hour or so later my wife comes home... we're safe from the Abyssal taint, aren't we?
    "

Asking both of them
    "Were there any other mage parents in Sacramento? "

11. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), pair of daggers, tonfa, Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), motorcycle (street bike)
    Phoenyx

Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Willpower 3/3
    Personal Spells 2/3

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), 2 spare clips, pair of daggers (one is magical focus), Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), Purse ($57, gun permit, driving license)
    Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

There was a small shrug. "Living in a magical aura could have an effect if spending most time there over years? I'm not sure. It's the only thing I can think of." She gives Aurora a small smile. "Even masking spells with Prime can be unpredicable, although Space can sever a connective Sympathy," she adds to Aurora's points.

She looks back to Corn, thinking. "Magic has never been proven to be hereditary. I have heard of other Mages having children who grew up with entirely mundane lives. Awakening is a matter of Soul, not of blood. It seems you have missed key information about Atlantean magical theory."

Phoenyx does smile slightly at the request of defense. "I have always made myself available for people looking to practice such things. But I agree with Aurora. Unless you are confident of your studies of Prime and cloaking your spells, hiding your connection is better than shielding them while also painting a target for those that know what to look for."

She frowns. "You really don't understand this do you? If you absorb the Paradox it is neutralized." There is a quick shake of the head. "None that I know of, though I believe Winter was married once. He wears the ring."

13. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Nimbus

Monthly Spells

(PrP Treasure Hunt)

[Detect Substance]Bone
    Vulgar:

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

It still didn’t make sense to her why he had been stressing over it. With a shake of her head, “There’s no need for dinner, I’m glad I was able to help. But Corn,” her voice turning serious, “how did you not know?” cause that was a big thing.

Another sip, “I think I can understand the concern, but from what I’ve been told, women have been doing this for centuries. So while it may seem risky to you, I think she’s all set. And I’m sure as soon as she knows, things will be quickly changing.” From what she’s seen on tv and shit.

Seriously? “If you contain the paradox, then that’s it for the paradox. It doesn’t seep through your pores or anything like that. If it beats you up, well, then that’s something you need to explain to her.” Cause paradoxes were great like that. Black eyes, fat lips, bruises.

“Uhhh,” looking to Phoenyx, then thoughtful, “I don’t think so?” not sounding sure, “But I cannot be quoted on that. I know I’ve personally never known a mage parent. Though it seems like it would be stressful.” Way too stressful. She was good.

A nod of agreement to the Arrow, “I don’t think anything is certain when it comes to magic. The limits are constantly being pushed and people are always trying to do some weird ass shit. So who knows? Maybe someday.” Shrug.

“That’s right, he does wear the ring.” Had he mentioned anything to her? If he had, she didn’t remember, and even if she did, it wasn’t her place to speak for him. Looking to Corn, “You could always talk to him. Despite what others think, he’s a decent guy with a lot of wisdom to share.” She enjoyed his company.

15. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost

PRE

To Phoenyx and Aurora expressing their disbelief of his lack of knowledge, Corn simply shrugged. "I never thought to ask, ladies. As simple as that. I never considered magic dangerous, even when my mentor in San Francisco was warning me to not underestimate it or the Abyss and that magic can have long-lasting effects. She was a cautious woman. What I do know is exactly what Aurora said 'Nobody can be sure when it comes to magic'. And when it comes to my child, the 1% chance that I may not have asked the right question to the right people - you are those people - was cause for stress and fear.

Now, as for "never been proven" about familial lines and mages, I would dare say that studies show that new awakenings or sleepwalkers are considerably more likely to be encountered around a mage. Even in our small society here, didn't
    Belle claim that she comes from a family of Mystagogues, back in September? Since mages are a few in the million ... those studies make a clear mention that correlation doesn't necessarily means causation. Simply put, mages are more likely to notice awakenings and sleepwalkers in their surroundings than to notice a sleepwalker fisherman in a small rural bar in Alaska. So, yes, councilor, you are correct that it has never been proven, but it is has never been disproven either.

But, I don't care whether my kid will be mage or not. I just want her to be healthy. Or him.
    And now I asked the right question to the right people and I am very happy with the answers I got. Even the incredulous looks you both directed my way, confirming that this is common knowledge, was soothing. Embarrassing, sure, but very reassuring. The Embarrassment will pass
    . "

Then he addressed Phoenyx again.
    "I was not talking about how to cloak spells, necessarily, councilor - although I don't discount that advice. I am more interested in spells, protective magic and simply put, defensive skills than I have ever been. Me dying in a dusty catacomb is a risk I can live with. A vampire approaching my kid, a Seer taking over my kid's will etc is not something I can live with.
    Now, I ... can't say that I am that interested in martial arts etc. but other ways, including through magic, to protect my family. You both wisely say, and I agree, that putting matter armor on my wife is more likely to attract attention and so far I have no way to veil magic. But if something happens, I would like to be better prepared than I am.
    Do I make sense here?
    "

17. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Phoenyx

Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Willpower 3/3
    Personal Spells 2/3

Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

"Women have been doing this for centuries" drew an amused snigger from the Arrow. She instantly tried to hide it behind a hand, blushing slightly.

There was no response about Winter. She found him far harder to trust once it was clear he would lie and scheme through official law. It was a gulf of difference between the Arrow and the Guardian she could not resolve.

The Arrow frowns, watching the Moros. This was a scenario she was entirely unfamiliar with, and one she never expected to find herself in. The point that Belle claimed to be a from a family of mages, in her experience, was an anomaly rather than any normal form of Awakening. Arguing would just result in another blizzard of words, so she remained silent, looking at Aurora for a little support.

"No, you aren't," she replied bluntly to Corn's final question, a touch of exasperation creeping into her voice. "If you want to defend people, you need to be adaptable, creative and reactive, both magically and physically. Tell me what you can do, and what it is you want to be able to do." She didn't want to pick out the meanings all afternoon

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread