Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Final Report

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

The night has finally arrived and, as previously agreed, Milton waits for Quinn in a room at the Sawyer Hotel. It's the same suite they'd used for the meeting that had initiated his efforts on the Shadow's behalf.

He is dressed in his usual attire: an unremarkable, blue suit with unstated red tie and white shirt. Perhaps the only distinguishing touch in the ensemble is the yellow poppy bloom pinned to his lapel. He has forgone the Blush of Life this evening, as is his wont.

There are no refreshments on hand as there had been at their last meeting. But, Milton comes bearing a far greater gift: it is contained in a leather-bound folio which he rests on the arm of the chair he currently occupies.

Tonight, he will deliver Quinn exactly what she'd requested. Tonight, he will prove to her that his word is good and that his talents are essential. Tonight, he will start on the path to new and exciting discoveries...

Milton composes himself and waits. He does not move, does not blink. Only when Priscus Durant knocks will he rise, becoming something other than a corpse in a chair.

pisces Quinn Durant
    Health: Vitae: WP: BP: 1

2. Likes pisces liked this post

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn felt a level of anticipation she hadn't felt in a long long time. This was really it, as they say. The last straw. The last bit of road to a long held goal. It was all blood money in Quinn's eyes. She wanted nothing to do with it anymore, and Milton had come through for her on this. It was not without its own price of course, nothing was free, but in Quinn's mind it was worth it.

Quinn dressed conservatively in a long tunic style dark blue coat with a matching chunky belt, and an Ombre style silk and tulle skirt with a pair of black heels. Her Handbag was black and rich blue to match her outfit. Her long hair blown out for volume and manageability. Her makeup flawless and geared so the short time spent in the presence of humanity would be overlooked.

She knocked on the door and waited for Milton, wondering if he was just as excited as she was. For different reasons of course.

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

At her knock, Milton rises from his seat and quickly smooths out his jacket and pants. adjusts the poppy pinned to his breast.

Leaving the folio balanced on the arm of the chair, he steps to the door and opens it to his client. A smile, so practiced it's barely even a smile anymore, is fixed upon his features.

"Ms. Durant," avoiding titles while the door is held open, "how wonderful to see you." He stands aside, "Do come in."

Once she's entered, Milton closes and locks the door. Gestures toward a seat situated near the one he's clearly been occupying, "Please, join me."

Moves to resume his own seat, "I trust you are well, Priscus?" Back to formalities now that they are alone.

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn occupied the seat opposite of Milton, her knees moving to one side as her ankles crossed. She set her purse on the little side table next to her, folding her hands then in her lap just so. After she was settled she watched Milton for a silent moment.

"It is good to see you too, Mr. Northbridge. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't anticipating this night for quite awhile. Here we are...." Her voice trailed off, with a polite smile. "I am well. I hope that you are too." She paused a moment watching him, her attention split to the materials balancing on the arm of his chair.

She arched a brow with a slight smile. "Is that it?" She hmmed softly. All of that anxiety and bullshit and blood, and it all was washed away with a neat stack of papers. It was almost surreal.

6. Likes Endymion liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Milton watches Quinn closely as she settles in. His mind slips back to their last meeting in this room. To the way he'd watched her then as she...

No. This is not the time for such reminiscence. Still, something had changed that night. And now the attention he pays her is not simple wariness as it once might have been.

There is something more there. Something he will have to examine. Later.

"Likewise," Milton responds, "on both counts." Yes, anticipation. This will be a fruitful night for both of them. Her well-wishes are met with a nod, "Your hopes have been fulfilled." A sentence that's doing some heavy lifting: both a response to her pleasantry and a comment on the purpose of their meeting.

She turns her attention to the leather folio, a little too quickly to Milton's mind. Well, excitement can make even the most refined individual a tad...impatient. He rests a hand atop it, his smile turning almost coy. "Why, yes, Priscus. This is it."

The power he holds at this moment. The command. It's exquisite. But Milton is too much the puritan at heart to revel in his enjoyment on this score, however he might be tempted...

"Before I make final delivery, I would like to provide you with the details of my work. And discuss the terms of my compensation. Is that acceptable?"

8. Likes pisces liked this post

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn's beast sulked angrily in its mystical chains. The beast wanted to crush Milton, but it didn't have the juice to roll Quinn anymore. Not unless Quinn's will was ultimately spent.

She watched him and smiled softly, not being able to help herself. It was rare when two Kindred meet for any reason really, that they both were getting exactly what they asked for, wasn't it?

Quinn's expression softened from its usual neutrality, to something warmer for a moment as she looked at Milton, which quickly shifted to something more sharp and alert at the last bit.

She flicked a lock of her long hair over her shoulder and nodded. "Of course Mr. Northbridge. I apologize for my lapse in pleasantries. You are coming in at the end of a very long road for me. I know it doesn't hold the same significance for you." She paused a beat. "Please, I would love to hear your report, and go over the compensation in depth. Learning a discipline of another clan is quite the undertaking."

10. Likes Endymion liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

The play of emotions on the Shadow's face is fascinating. Again, Milton's mind strays to the power he has in this situation. The way in which Quinn must react to him. He is calling the tune, setting the rules of the dance. As long as that leather folio rests under his fingertips, and the rules for use of the information therein remains in his mind (and his mind alone), he controls their interaction.

But certain distributions of power, call them temporary spheres of influence, especially those hinging on control of one piece of information, are unsustainable. The prevailing hierarchy will assert itself eventually, barring any truly momentous events. To force his will upon her now, to exaggerate his position in this room, could only result in trouble down the road. In short: outside of this meeting, she still outranks him in almost every regard.

No, better to stick to the contours of the deal and play nice. Better to move forward as planned.

"Please, Priscus. There is no need to apologize. I understand your anticipation perfectly. I only want to ensure that I am able to comprehensibly deliver the necessary information so that you may move forward with your own plans directly." With that, he hefts the portfolio and opens it. "To that end, I will provide my explanation now. We can discuss the other terms later."

He positions the leather-bound papers so that she can see the first page of its contents, as if he were reading to someone else and wanted them to follow along. That first page displays a list: 24 entries each identified with a letter of the greek alphabet. Each entry includes a seven-character account number and a 10-character pin.

"These," he says, sounding like someone who is describing his most prized possessions, "are the keys to the kingdom. Your kingdom. Each account number corresponds to a blind trust, responsible for the care, stewardship, investment, and growth of their piece of the originally contemplated assets. And each are overseen by an eminently seasoned and discreet financial manager, backed by the interests of their given firm."

With that, he launches into a lengthy discussion of the inner-workings of the financial structure he has assembled at her request, turning through the pages as he does so. His tone, as he speaks, carries a hint of excitement that Quinn will know is rarely exhibited by Milton. This corpse loves his work. It is a...substantial dissertation.

"Finally, you must understand that this," he says as he closes the folio and hefts it slightly for emphasis, "is one of only two copies of your...codex. The other copy exists in a safety deposit box at Union Bank of Switzerland in Zurich. You will find a business card in the back of these documents," again, indicating the folio, "that has the necessary information for accessing that copy. The name and number of a lawyer who will broker that transaction (should it ever be necessary) is also there." A pause, "As you surely have guessed, this is in case the original is destroyed..." He will not even entertain the idea of it being lost. Or, God forbid, stolen. "I have completely sanitized my files of all data pertaining to my involvement. From here on out, I will only have access if you permit that access."

With that, he hands over the folio. Once she's taken it into her possession, he sits back as if a heavy weight has been lifted from his shoulders.

"If you have any questions, please do ask. Now or, should they occur to you after our meeting, later. I am, and will continue to be, happy to field all of your queries regarding this...edifice."

I've linked the original post describing Milton's financial architecture rather than reproducing it here in the form of dialogue. Hope that's OK!

12. Likes pisces liked this post

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

It took a good chunk of the evening, and Quinn followed along with Milton's explanation. Occasionally she asked a question, and ended up scooting her chair closer to his so he could show her in the documentation where certain key things were. Things Quinn knew her sire would want to know first. The properties in particular were always an important point, as was their allocations and everything that came along with multi continent estates.

When she took the folio into her hands she felt the weight of the decision of severance in the marrow of her bones. Quinn had wondered if her scheming would come to fruition. If she would ever extricate herself from her sire's impossibly large shadow. To truly put to rest the only threat he had left. Abel had agreed because he didn't think she could pull it off. He always underestimated you.

She managed to hold her composure in this moment. Quinn was stronger willed than most would give her credit for. She was the most visible Shadow in the city for a specific reason. So the others didn't have to be unless they desired it. She bore the burden of that every night, and most of the time, it was thankless. She didn't allow herself to feel anything more. It was not a moment to be shared with anyone. It was private.

Hiding emotion

She set the folio aside and did her best to clear her mind of it, turning to the second point that they needed to go over this evening. Compensation. Quinn thought back to her other students of Auspex she'd had over the years. The work that she had done for the clan made Quinn a scholar of the application of Auspex in the occult. There was no one better in the city to teach him. That was for certain. She looked outwardly more thoughtful.

"I will keep all of that in mind. Thank you. We should discuss your compensation now that that portion of the business is complete. I can see you enjoy your work, Mr. Northbridge. I am impressed with the detail and care you put into all of this for me. Something I will not soon forget. Nor will I forget your discretion." The way she leaned forward a bit, her hands clasped loosely, the openness of her body language. She was prepared to make good on her end. There was no doubt of that.

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Wits + Subterfuge, 1 success

As always, Milton watches Quinn closely. Hungry for any sign of his effort's impact. But she remains admirably composed. Not for the first time, Milton finds himself appreciating the Shadow's self-control. Formidable indeed...

In contract to her, he allows himself an unguarded smile. Why hide his enjoyment of her praise? "I appreciate your kind words, Priscus. It is always a pleasure to have one's efforts recognized."

And then, talk of her end of the bargain. Milton sits up a little straighter when the topic is broached.

"I must admit, I do not know where to begin on that score." Which only makes sense. He's not the expert here. "What can I say, I'm in your hands. How should we proceed?"

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

(Blush)Vitae 1 Spent
    +1
    SL
    PRE

She saw she had Milton's complete attention. Good. Quinn smiled then and nodded. Yes it was her expertise. Where to begin was really her conundrum. It was time to understand what Auspex was on a deeper level. At least, with regard to the principal level.

"Mehket are a scholarly clan but also a clan that deals in secrets. Kindred secrets. We see what cannot be seen. We know what others do not." She paused a moment. "We are also a clan that see's the truth, whether we wish to or not. Our gifts show us what lies beneath the perfect surface of our own kind. Our gifts are rooted in observation and darkness." She paused a beat.

"The skills needed to see beyond the mundane are specific. Shadows are malleable and can take any shape, and it shifts and changes based on perspective of the eye. The same can be said for Mehket. We tend to be a clan of finesse more than the raw power of force you are accustomed to as a Lord Mr. Northbridge. You must be able to open yourself up a bit to...." she touched forehead and chest briefly, "accept the information the beast can see instinctively. Just as when you meet another Kindred for the first time, and every time after you feel the instinct of the beast. You must expand on that recognition. Like I did when I told Mr. Wells to leave Arkwright due to his vitae running low. How did I know that? I used the power I am going to teach you."

She watched him a moment and smiled patiently. Chair already scooted close to Milton, she held out her hands flat, fingers uncurled and elongated straight. "Place your hands just above my own, not touching but very close." She instructed him. Assuming he has done so, Quinn said softly. "Right now you see me as you do in court and when we have the luxury of absolute privacy. And now..." she whispered softly. "What do you sense? What is different? What do you feel Milton. Not with your eyes, but your other senses?"

Quinn's flesh came to life before him. Her usually taut and perfectly smooth as marble skin relaxed and became supple, soft, darker in color as 'life' was forced to the skin. Yet she mentioned specifically not what he could see, but sense....
    Warmth emanated from her still hands to his just above hers, even though they were not touching he could feel it. She knew he could. Something else as well, the scent of her perfume was activated with the blush, it was expensive and foreign, not based in alcohols but in illegal ingredients that were activated by body heat only. It was sweet with the flower notes of Jasmine and ylang ylang on the top notes, beneath that ambergris, vanilla, and the base note of earthy and spicy sandalwood. Her breath could be heard. Deep and steady. He could feel the wash of the air she was breathing over their hands.

16. Likes Endymion liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread