Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

PrP - BaF - Factory Tour

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

The cool Autumn air blows as Milton and Wei Lin make their way across town to the industrial district. The night is still young, and the graveyard shift has just begun.

The factory is large, covering roughly 20 acres between the building and outdoor areas. There are standard gates for employee entry on the west side of a fence along the perimeter, as well as a security gate for others who may need to visit the plant. The employee gates are tall turnstiles, which appears to be unlocked with a keycard. The security gate is set up like a toll booth, with an arm that raises and lowers just passed a small shack; most likely occupied by a guard of some sort.

As he was told on the phone, an appointment has been made for Milton and Wei Lin. The way to enter is through the freight entrance, passed the guard shack.

2. Likes Ruach liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

(Blush of Life)Vitae 1 Spent
    PRE

Milton collects Wei Lin on the agreed upon evening at the agreed upon time and place, with all of the appropriate pleasantries. He's wearing a dark grey suit, grey tie, and white dress shirt. His ensemble is forgettable, down to his slightly-outdated shoes, save for the quality of the materials and the expertise of the tailoring and laundering. He looks like any other consultant in the halls of power (financial or governmental). Bureaucracy in person.

He is also wearing that fake life afforded him by the blood, something he rarely indulges in unless he's dealing directly with the kine. This is likely Wei Lin's first time seeing him so...infused. One might say, it doesn't suit him. He seems much more comfortable cold.

The black sedan is lushly appointed, every luxury feature is present (though unobtrusive). The leather interior is spotless. A screen set in the dash shows their location relative to the factory and provides further direction. The Everly Brothers' "All I have to do is Dream" plays at a low volume. Milton drives fastidiously, observing the rules of the road to the letter and staying precisely at the speed limit.

As they approach the factory, Milton turns whatever polite conversation is occupying them toward business: "I expect this visit to be less than exciting," he says with a wry twist of his lips. "Regarding your role, I will refer to you as my associate. Not assistant, as that implies an imbalance of power which can only hinder us. You are a new addition to my consulting team, there to observe, same as I. Please feel free to ask questions, but don't feel compelled. We hold all the cards here, they are trying to impress us. Is there a touch of swagger to Milton's usual blandness? "As for our clients, we are not obliged to disclose them. We can imply an NDA, but no need to spell it out. I may be willing to go so far as to call them a consortium of interested parties." Let their hosts what make of that what they will. "I think it best to steer the talk toward facilities (and the location in general) and ask for a tour of the grounds to satisfy our clients' overriding interest in the factory's infrastructure and equipment. Given that we hope to speak with the employees later, I'm thinking of this as a fact finding endeavor focused primarily on the premises. Would you agree?"

He pauses, glancing at the GPS, cutting his eyes to Wei Lin in the passenger seat before returning his attention to the road. How would Wei Lin respond to his approach? He's curious. As always.

They are getting close.

Thought it best to start in medias res just to move things toward the factory, but also give Milton and Wei Lin time to plot a touch. Hope that's OK!

Equipment: Full Size Car, Connor's Loner Gun (locked in glove box), laptop + laptop bag, business cards, pen and small notebook, smart phone, wallet with cash and cards
    Health: Vitae: WP: BP: 1

Presence
    (magnetic)
    Striking Looks
    (exotic)
    Distinctive Voice
    (low and textured)
    New identity
    (Wei Lin Carter)
    Wei Lin

(Blush)Vitae 1 Spent
    +1
    SL
    +0.5
    DV
    PRE

No matter how much she has prepared for the evening, Wei Lin still spent most of the car ride checking on her notes to the information Milton provided. She found long ago that in situations like they were walking into knowing your cover story well saved lives. She still carried on the small talk Northbridge offered but did not pay much mind to him otherwise.

However as he turned the conversation to the more urgent topic she had put the tablet she was using away, turning to the man proper.

"Associate, then... Very well," she hummed, mentally tweaking the story she created for herself. It wasn't a big change, thankfully, and her persona would still work with it. "Please, feel free to take charge on any finance questions as it isn't my area of expertise, I'll follow your lead the best I can." Here, they had one goal and trusting Milton's professionalism was best even if she didn't know if she could trust the man himself yet.

"We should enquire about the recent history, I think. If the killings are triggered by the place in some manner, than some change must have happened to provide the reason." And she was there to ensure that the kine spoke the truth of it when asked.

Putting the tablet in her bag, Wei Lin brushed her skirt of any stray creases. Her outfit was careful and all business, clothes and simple jewelry decent enough to not look cheap but not remarkable in any way. A simple coat added colour to her presence and to accommodated the cooler night air adding the credence to the artificial colour on her cheeks, both from meticulously neutral makeup and the rush of Vitae. Hair carefully done in a high ponytail and thin-rimmed glasses completed the look of a professional woman on the usual work day.

She resisted the urge to asked 'are we there yet' but the thought still brought a small quirk of a smile to her lips as she looked outside at the streets passing by.

"Just so we clear," the Succubus turned to Northbridge, her eyes calm and attentive, "it would be best to... work my magic after the tour, as we've settled somewhere without interruptions. And we'll need somebody high enough in the hierarchy to actually know something, obviously."

Equipment: Leather bag with a tablet, small makeup kit, bobby pins, phone, wallet with cards and cash, notebook and pens.

BP: 2

5. Likes Endymion liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Milton appreciates that Wei Lin is both direct and shrewd. Admirable qualities. Also quite dangerous, depending on one's disposition. It's still unclear whether this collaboration will result in a more durable association, or if they will merely be partners of convenience for this endeavor. Either way, the succubus will bear close scrutiny going forward.

"That is the plan," he replies briskly. "As a new associate, no one will find it strange if you remain largely in the background."

Her point concerning recent...changes to the site is well taken. "I agree, very wise. I will be sure to steer conversation toward any recent...renovations or alterations." Perhaps recent construction has...disturbed something. Or maybe the killings began after a new hire.

A glance away from the road in her direction then back again, "Have no fear, I would not presume to ask you to perform in public..." There's a dryness to his tone. Does she think him an idiot? "I understand the value of privacy in such things..." He often requires the same conditions when...convincing others.

Milton turns on his blinker, takes a turn. The GPS says only a few minutes and they will arrive.

Ready to move forward if y'all are!

A few moments later, Milton turns into the freight entrance and up to the guard shack. The guard takes Milton's name or Pseudonym, whichever was given for the meeting, and raises the gate to allow the pair inside. Milton is directed to a small parking lot outside of a small building on the property which is easily identified by the sign near the door that reads "Administration." Inside Milton and Wei Lin are met by 2 men and a woman, all dressed in polos and slacks, and a button up blouse and skirt respectively. The woman steps up to greet the two of you.

"Mr. Northbridge? I'm Natalie Stewart, the CEO. This is Adam Ericson and James Avery, they're here to assist when needed so we aren't bothered." Natalie appears to be in her mid 30's. She has dark hair, which is done up in a tight bun, and dark eyes. All in all, she's a fairly attractive woman, standing roughly five feet and six inches tall with a slender build. Adam seems to be in his early 40's. He stands roughly six feet tall, with the look of a man who's known nothing but hard work his entire life. James is the youngest, appearing to be in his 20's and standing roughly five feet and 10 inches tall.

Natalie leads the pair to a small table with 3 chairs situated around it. ​"Please, have a seat and we can begin our meeting."

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

"Ah, Ms. Stewart. Very good. I appreciate you taking the time to meet with us." Milton's focus is entirely on Natalie. The subordinates are barely spared a glance.

"This is Ms. Carter, an associate with my firm," gesturing toward Wei Lin. "She'll be shadowing us during our meeting." A small smile.

He follows her, laptop bag in hand, and settles where indicated. "I do hope we'll have time for a tour after our conversation is complete. My clients were keen for me to lay eyes on the facilities." A pause, "They are very interested in the opportunities presented here."

He leans back slightly in his chair and fixes the woman with a shrewd look, "So, tell me, as a professional with years of experience in the field, how would you characterize the current state of your operations?" Down to business.

Apologies for skipping ahead of Wei Lin--thought it best for Milton to make the first move as he is Natalie's point of contact.

"Of course, Mr. Northbridge. We have a tour scheduled soon, but I was unfortunately only able to get clearance for one person to walk through." The woman sounds sincere in her tone, though she could just be that good of a liar. "If I must be honest, Mr. Northbridge, the pandemic hit us hard. The entire reason we're looking for investors is so that we can keep our workforce, well, working. Things are looking up starting in the 3rd Quarter of next year, assuming projections for semi-conductor production can be believed. See, we make the plastic parts in automobiles, so if our clients can't finish cars, they can't purchase new product. I can show you our pre-Covid numbers, and tell you that as we progress more toward working at full capacity, we expect to make a return to those number... possibly even surpass them."

Just as she finishes speaking, a man pokes his head into the room and informs Natalie that they are ready for the tour. "I do apologize, Mr. Northbridge, but I'm going to have to ask that you wear a safety vest, hard hat, and eye and ear protection while we're out on the floor. Safety issues, I'm sure you understand." She says as she stands from the table and begins to lead Milton toward the door.

As they head out, Wei Lin stands and bids Milton to have a good evening. Seeing as how they can only offer the tour to one person, there's no need for her to be there. She tells Milton that she'll call an Uber and heads out the door.

Wei Lin has been written out for at least this scene so that we can begin to move it along a little faster. It will just be you and I from now until the end. I'll extend the time, if needed, to make up for the gaps in posting.

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Milton assumes everyone is a liar. 75% of business is bending the truth to a greater or lesser extent. Accordingly, he listens closely to Natalie's excuse about the tour and her story about her company's recent (poor) performance with a healthy skepticism.

Lying? 1 success

At the same time, he must keep up his own facade. Of sympathy and of interest. He offers her an understanding smile, "An unfortunate state of affairs that is affecting the markets generally. Needless to say, the investors I represent are optimistic regarding future growth. Thus, my presence here this evening."

Soothing Words, 1 success

The safety apparel is produced and Milton resists the urge to frown. "Of course," he responds. Accepting the vest, helmet, and glasses and donning them directly.

Once he's appropriately garbed, he looks to Natalie. "Please, led the way, Ms. Stewart." He does not look back at Wei Lin. It seems plans have changed.

Milton doesn't seem to think that Natalie is lying to him. She legitimately seems to believe that things will begin to turn around soon.

Natalie leads Milton out onto the shop floor, where a small golf cart-esque personnel carrier is waiting. Adam takes a seat behind the steering wheel with James taking a seat next to him, leaving the back seat open for Milton and Natalie.

The first thing Milton notices on the shop floor is the noise. He'll have to speak up to be heard over all the noise and through the ear protection. Secondly, if Milton is breathing through his nose, the smell will be disconcerting. Melting plastic isn't the most pleasant smell, and this place is full of molten plastic.

The tour begins when Milton and Natalie are seating. Adam takes off driving without any input from Natalie. Either he's used to this tour route, or it was rehearsed just before you arrived. "If you have any questions, or you'd like to stop somewhere to get a better look as we're going through, feel free to let me know.." Natalie says, the tone of her voice suggesting that her volume is raised, but otherwise she seems perfectly content.

Looking to figure out exactly what you're planning to do with this tour, that way I can cater it better to your needs.

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

The noise and the smell are...unpleasant. Milton's mouth makes a little moue of distaste at the assault on his senses.

He assumes the proffered seat and they're off. For a moment, he's quiet. Inspecting their surroundings. Looking for anything that might catch his eye.

Perception, 1 success

He speaks up so that his host is able to hear him above the din: "I'm curious, have there been any recent additions to the facilities? Any updates to the structure itself?" Milton probes, looking for information on changes to the grounds that might have been...disturbing to any extra-natural inhabitants.

"Further, I'd like to hear about your labor pool. What's the turnover like? Employee satisfaction? Any recent disturbances you would note?" Again, another area of interest: this time having to do with the human population.

To Ms. Stewart, these are probing questions having to do with facilities and labor. To Milton, they might indicate what has spurred the recent attacks and how the workers at the factory have responded.

Milton's interested in hearing about any recent physical alterations to the structure. He's thinking that construction might've woken something up. And, of course, the question about the workers goes toward how the food's feeling about recent events.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread