Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Around the Bireme

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Oct 31, 2021 : (2111) Roaring Court
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Presence
    (magnetic)
    Striking Looks
    (exotic)
    Distinctive Voice
    (low and textured)
    New identity
    (Wei Lin Carter)
    Wei Lin

+1
    SL
    +0.5
    DV
    PRE

Wei Lin amused herself in trying to count the shades of indifference in Milton's smile; there was a lot. At least he was polite about it and, for once, had their name right.

"Pleased to meet you, Priscus Durant," they greeted, paying a bow to the woman as her position asked for. The warm smile was for not just hearing but following through the simple request of the correct naming. "And thank you for respecting that preference," In difference to some others, "it's making me feel welcome."

"Sacramento has been..." they pause, looking for the right word and taking that moment to greet Priscus Hazelton with a bow. "Most pleasing so far. I have found what I wanted, I believe."

Though she had lost some already as well. Dirt Nap leaving so abruptly had been strange, and it seemed the leaving was contagious around here. Why did Quinn leave? Was it that she was disappointed, or disillusioned, or something more nefarious? No, no, no, don't even think about it, just move on, not your business, not here it isn't! Wei Lin consoled herself, a smile plastered on her face, hiding her teeth clenched so hard somebody could probably pick up the sound of the grinding. The incessant need to figure out what the deal was here, to scoop up the secrets from Quinn's skull with the ice-cream spoon in those little perfect circles and then dine on them all night was...

The Connor's arrival heralded by the irksome shudder of danger was such a welcome distraction from the obsessive thoughts, they almost hugged the man. Thankfully, they managed to stop in time; getting their head bit off for touching someone else's boyfriend rather than rude questions wasn't much better. Were they officially in the relationship even? Come on, more social, less maniac, you got it.

"Mr. O'Brien, don't remind me. I was learning english around that time and I still don't have the faintest idea what applesauce has to do with nonsense. Maybe that's the point," they laughed, sounding far more genuine than they actually felt. "I do agree that everybody look absolutely fetching tonight."

Another Haunt's entrance was met with hardly the same joy, if any. Perhaps someday, but today Wei Lin only paid a performative nod of the head, touching their fedora briefly. "Miss Kingsley." With Wells' coming in as well they all started to look like a crowd rather then gathering, the others' presence making the Succubus feel surrounded and not in the fun way.

It wasn't helped in the slightest as Wells used their surname. Again. There was clearly a misunderstanding going on there, and one better cleared up without maybe embarrassing the man and his terrible memory. "And, please, call me Wei Lin, Miss Kingsley. Two words, one name. Greeting, Pastor Wells," they threw a meaningful stare at the man along with a light bow of greetings.

Finally, Mable, however pretty the woman might be, was stretching the Beast's patience too tight. "Good evening to you as well, Miss Wood."

Taking the moment when the conversation hit a natural pause, Wei Lin stepped aside looking for a slightly quieter corner. And finding it by Jennifer's side with bonus points of trying on her social graces in a wholly another way.

"What a pretty little thing, don't you think, Priscus Hazelton?" the Succubus noted, looking over the miniature ship in fascination.

Continued from (2111) Roaring Court...
    BP: 2

2. Likes pisces liked this post

Presence
    (magnetic)
    Striking Looks
    (exotic)
    Distinctive Voice
    (low and textured)
    New identity
    (Wei Lin Carter)
    Wei Lin

(Vice resist)Willpower 2 Spent
    +1
    SL
    +0.5
    DV
    PRE

Bookkeeping

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Milton steps a little closer to the Bireme, joining Wei Lin.

He resists the urge to smile at her evaluation of the his work. We must not gloat, Milton. Oh, but how he's tempted to brag.

Instead, he inspects the model, before turning his gaze to the Succubus.

"Are you familiar with this type of vessel?" He inquires, curious. There's a glitter of cunning in those boring, brown eyes.

Health: Vitae: WP: BP: 1

Presence
    (magnetic)
    Striking Looks
    (exotic)
    Distinctive Voice
    (low and textured)
    New identity
    (Wei Lin Carter)
    Wei Lin

+1
    SL
    +0.5
    DV
    PRE

Beast's snarl on the proximity to another in Wei Lin's ears is quickly suppressed as they glance sideways at Milton. Something in his expression is different tonight, and that something is rather curious.

3 successes

"It's Bireme, I believe. An ancient warship, often used by Romans and Greeks in..." the Succubus paused, green eyes flicking up as they conjured memories from their more classical education, "6th? 8th? century BC? Something around that. But I think it was invented well before."

Granted that they knew general flow of history throughout the ages, that particular period endeared them more for Greek mythology that they loved as a child. Grand stories of gods, powerful and whimsical, inspired them to dream about adventures of their own. Little did that naive child knew that one day they end up as one of the mythical creatures themself.

"I wonder who made this one. It doesn't look store bought," returning their attention to the ship, they pick out the details of the delicate construct.

The ripple of voices around the Court brought Wei Lin's attention, as they turned back to the crowd.

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Once again, Milton is pleasantly surprised by Wei Lin's intelligence. How many present tonight could recall such information? He gives her an evaluating look.

Beautiful, well-educated. Dangerous... She reminds him of Quinn, frankly. He idly wonders if their similarities will make of them friends or enemies. Only time will tell. In any event, he resolves to treat her as he does Priscus Durant: as a possibly potent ally, and with extreme caution.

"Exactly correct, Ms. Wei Lin. Very impressive," the compliment rolls off his tongue, honeyed by that touch of a Boston Brahmin accent. "When I delivered this gift to Her Grace, the Prince," he drops this bit of information casually, "we discussed the vessel in terms of its impacts on civilization. Had it not been for the Bireme, the Greek fleets could not have pacified the Mediterranean world. In some sense, all of Western history as we know it owes its existence to this vessel. A lesson on the importance of technology, and the contingency of civilizational development..." he muses.

At that moment, the Seneschal makes his appearance. Milton pauses to offer Jacque a bow equal to that previously given to Twist.

Straightening, he returns his attention to Wei Lin: "I did not peg you for a maritime enthusiast. Any other...intriguing hobbies you'd like to disclose?" The question has a hint of humor to it. But the Lord really is quite curious.

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

As the night advances, the Danse sorts the various Kindred into groups. It is always a wonder to Milton that this process happens so subtly, as if motivated by some unseen force.

Seeing that Bellemy and Helen Kingsley still remain unengaged, he gives each of them an inviting look in turn, clearly indicating that they are welcome to join him by the Bireme.

He'd mentioned to Jennifer that he's interested in becoming familiar with her Family. Why not use this opportunity? It's not like Wei Lin is attending to their conversation at the moment.

8. Likes liked this post

Bellemy Salem
    Presence
    (Dreadful)
    Fame
    (Author (Pen Name))
    Contact
    (Street)
    Contact
    (News Media)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Bellemy

Nosferatu Curse:

Phisically deformed head and mouth with shark-like teeth and a grotesquly emaciated body, too long nails and a palpable aura of inappropriateness.

FAME
    NOS
    PRE

Bellemy approached the duo of Milton and Wei Lin. The haunt's outfit reminiscent of a twenties paper boy. Complete with a tweed flat cap and suspenders. When the creature got close the beast flared again with the proximity of the unknown kindred. As usual Bellemy slapped the dark passenger down with internal violence.

With a formal bow from the waist Bellemy offered Milton a toothy smile. "Mr. Northbridge. It is nice to run into you finally." the haunt said pleasantly. "How does this all hallows eve find you?" It was a basic opening as those things went.

Deep black eyes took in Milton's companion. "Would you be so kind as to introduce me to our new friend. I don't believe I have had the pleasure."

Curse: See Minisheet

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

"Ah, Ms. Bellemy. What a pleasure," Milton says with something approaching warmth. It's about as close as the Lord can get to 'welcoming.' "I have been hoping to speak with you for some time." Dull, brown eyes take in her costume, suffused with that general aura of dread and menace. Fascinating...

"My night is well, thank you for asking. And yours?" He gives the Haunt an expectant look, observing all the courtesies. "I must say your costume is quite impressive. The tweed is a fine touch."

At Bellemy's request, he finds himself playing the host once again. Making introductions. Not a bad position, really, to broker the start of a relationship.

"Of course," he responds, adjusting his position relative to the two, so that he is out of the way while introducing them: "Ms. Bellemy of Clan Nosferatu, allow me to introduce Ms. Wei Lin Carter," yes he'd heard the last name when Quinn had used it, "of Clan Daeva, a relatively new addition to Sacramento's Danse." He says it all with that boring smile painted on his lips.

11. Likes liked this post

Presence
    (magnetic)
    Striking Looks
    (exotic)
    Distinctive Voice
    (low and textured)
    New identity
    (Wei Lin Carter)
    Wei Lin

+1
    SL
    +0.5
    DV
    PRE

The compliment rolled right past her, as Wei Lin's brows rise high at the realisation.

"You made this? I applaud your skill, Mr. Northbridge," she even added a few little claps, truly impressed. She wondered how much time such a piece could even take. Did he made the parts himself or was it one of those store bought collection models one only needed to piece together? "Indeed, it is fascinating how one seemingly little thing can have such an enormous impact down the line." And how important it is to know those little things, to all the better manipulate the future.

Greetings payed, the Succubus turned back to Milton chuckling softly at his question. "To be perfectly honest, I am not one. But I try to keep my education fresh in memory, and remembering such interesting little titbits is but one of many perks of it."

She paused, considering just how truthful she wanted to be here. Milton hadn't done nothing yet to earn her displeasure, but there were many curious ears around them. "For hobbies, I am a language enthusiast, among other things. Eastern Asia mainly," she finally settled on the most neutral choice. Somehow, she had a feeling Milton wasn't one to appreciate her passion for videogames. "What about you? What do your hand get up to, aside the beautiful works of art?"

And then the Lord just had to go and be all welcoming to all the wrong sorts. Why, Milton, why? Not soon as she disengaged from Helen had she had to suffer a company of another Haunt, and completely hideous one at that. Wane smile on her lips, Wei Lin watched as the duo exchanged pleasantries wishing fiercely she was alive for this moment and had a justification to shudder as if from the draft... or creepiness. Instead, she forced her body to be still and present.

"Please, simply Wei Lin will suffice," as usual, she intreated. A faint nod in greeting, she spoke, "Nice to meet you, Ms. Bellemy." Would you kindly fuck off. "I must admit, I love costumed parties. It is always intriguing to see how everybody expresses oneselves inside the theme, wouldn't you say?" Like costume can make you look any better.

13. Likes liked this post
    Helen Kingsley
    Helen Kingsley Scenes

Blush / Food consumption, 

NOS
    PRE

Helen decides to see what that little asembly over at that... boat box (?) is all about and after what she interprets as a sort of invitation from mIlton, she walks over. She's still undecided whether Wei Lins presence will make it more or less fun, but they'll see about that soon enough. On the other hand, there are some things that could be useful for... So mingling it is and with a chuckle inside her head, she re-engages.

"Eastern Asia is like Japan, China, Korea and perhaps the small island stuffs, isn't it ? Or do the other things like Russia also count ?" she asks Wei Lin as she re-engages, chuckling to herself inside her head. Her eyes wander and look over the exhibit in the box.

"Not really fitting the theme, I guess, but that's a very nice boat model for sure." Perhaps its some sort of thing that was fashionable back then, though ? Helen doesn't really know that much about the 20s and 30s, really

Nosferatu Curse: The vibe that that shadow is not doing as a shadow does as soon as you're not looking directly at it.

15. Likes liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread