Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Midnight Oil

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn arrived via car service to The Nox, moving through the nightclub with disinterest in the nightly throng of sweaty Kine participating in their shallow mating rituals. Weaving through the crowd a velvet rope is lifted to allow the Shadow Priscus entry to the stairs leading down into the belly of Elysia. She gave her coat and bag to the coat check and made her way down the winding stairs and quickly to the offices. Her knock is quick and sharp, her knuckles rapping twice. Waiting for an answer before going in.

Quinn was dressed in a winter white dress that was tailored for her petite form. The delicate white seams accenting a rather simple dress, and a pair of heels finished the look. Her long hair swept up in a neat French twist. Leaving her face plain. Her makeup understated, simple, elegant. She wore no jewelry this evening.
    Jacque Killian

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

The Seneschal's office was lightly furnished to match the tastes of the Lord. In what little decoration existed in the room, there was an impression of wealth in the quality of each item. Two low-back velvet chairs trimmed in gold leaf sat before an aged, hand-carved hardwood desk. The desktop had a fresh lacquer finish, though below that possessed the original and unrestored wood. Aside from tidy folders of paperwork the Lord was engaged with, the surface of the desk was clear of items or other decorations save for a brass inkwell and pen. A keen eye might notice that the chair behind the desk was an unremarkable, plain wooden chair. A small shelf was mounted to a side wall, currently occupied by a mere three books. The quality of the bookends securing two of them in place might suggest the Lord held them in high regard. A third lay on its side near the edge of the shelf. The wall behind the desk was empty, save for an antique, ornate mantle clock.

The Lord was working through some files, reading and making notes as each page turned. Glancing at his Rolex, he made sure his cabochon amethyst cufflinks were in proper order on his attire. Hearing the knock, he waved Quinn in. He rose to his feet effortlessly and gestured towards one of the chairs. "You look simply Divine, Priscus. Please have a seat."

Blood Hunt:

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn bowed at the waist to the Seneschal, almost as low as the one's she gave the Prince herself, but not quite, she held it for a few human heartbeats, and then straightened. She smiled softly at the compliment, and moved to shut the door quietly behind her. "Thank you, Seneschal. You are too kind." She moved at his invitation to seat herself in front of his desk. Her knees moving to the side, and her ankles crossing beneath her chair, her hands folded neatly in her lap. Her back was so straight it would make Ms. Manners proud.

"A lot has has been going on since we met last. Let's see, there was the unfortunate incident in Elysium where I had to reign my cousin in playing to much in court with the other one. They both spent some quality time in the barrens over that and now seem to be more amenable to not acting like horny teenagers in court. Going over the Laws of the Domain and Elysium helped refresh their memory as well." She of course skipped over two bits of that night. One being how she reigned Conner in without a lot of talking involved, and two J.C's intervention.

"The investigation into the bodies and what is causing all of this ruckus with our food supply has been apprehended. It was a Kindred named Angela who was acting as a handler for a cat creature, but here's the twist. We were lying in wait to spring the trap, and she was overhead talking to an unknown person and referring to them as the 'master.' This cat creature that doesn't even posses a soul I might add, is somehow feeding this master person. I have Priscus Hazelton and Dirt Nap working out the research on what exactly the creature is and how its operating, while Mr. Smith and I have been running down leads we got off of Angela's body. We followed the leads to a club in town called 'Rapture' which has lead us to our next location of interest. It's an Antique Shop along the waterfront which we believe is a front for this supernatural activity going on. When I looked at the person of interest's aura it was strange. Still human, but weak, and muted, but not quite like what a person or Kindred's aura appears when they are being controlled by Dominate for example. It's quite rare to see this type of aura, so of course my interest is very very peaked."

As Quinn was speaking about the investigation her body language changed, her hands no longer primly sat in her lap, but gripped the edge of the seat on either side of herself. Her eyes which were usually beautiful hardened amber came alive, like whiskey with light filtering through the liquid. She sat foreword as she spoke to him about it.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"That certainly caused more than a few ripples," the Lord remarked. "I was surprised to see Mister Smith try to jump in for you in the matter at the time." He shrugged, recalling their conversation, "I've since discovered he has an.... optimistic view of Kindred relationships and politics." He smiled at the vocalized resolution, "They're demonstrating more wisdom about it, but I do hope he keeps his own thoughts as he transitions into whatever relationship they're pursuing. I couldn't help but notice his tone change about me with no other discernible reasons for it than his newfound attraction."

"Interesting," he remarked. Truth be told, he was captivated by the details and only disappointed buy the lingering mystery of the events. His eyes traced across the different hints her body language offered, "Is it possible this soulless vessel can be recreated by the master?" He imagined whatever it might be, it would not appreciate a lack of feeding for long.

2 successes

Blood Hunt:

5. Likes pisces liked this post

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn couldn't smile about that, as she blamed another person for that little display, as all of that happened around the same time. "Mr. Smith see's the possibilities and I think he enjoys entertaining the ideals of what is possible in Kindred society, but the harsh realities are what we have to live in. I spoke with him privately about it. He understands, but I imagine he would be very defensive if it is brought up by someone else." If you evade, that too will be noted. Quinn paused a moment, as if considering something before continuing. "I don't think he would have been so quick to my side if someone hadn't have been filling his head with their perspective about me, and discussing things that involve me with him behind my back. Around that time some incidents happened between Dirt Nap, Mr. Smith and I. Mr. Smith's kneejerk reaction was to protect me, and when Mr. Wells snarled at me, I think it caused him to forget Kindred social norms for a moment."

"It's interesting to see what happens when Kindred couple up isn't it? When another can subtly influence another's perspectives with their own. I think Mr. Well's opinions are malleable still. Worth noting that the change is interesting and will be watched. I have been pleased with him taking more of an avid work ethic on getting things rolling for the Sanctum. I encouraged him, so we will see what fruit that bears."
    She noted his concerns. It was being watched.

Quinn nodded a bit at his interest in the topic. Investigations like this one were interesting to say the least. Quinn was obviously excited about it. Her body language betrayed the depth of interest she had. His keen insight was able to pick up that she loved the hunt, she lived for it. It was also the puzzle that gripped the Shadow. Putting together the clues. Her interest genuine and had little to do with the shiny title that she wanted with it. It wasn't the title that drove Quinn.

"I am not thinking this master created this creature. I am more of the opinion that it was summoned to the master or perhaps even a symbiotic relationship formed maybe. I don't know yet, Seneschal, but I am working on it. I think Angela was around more to make sure the creature was not interrupted in its business, and there might be another team out there still. Everyone is working very hard to pin this down, and for the most part working well together. Except perhaps Priscus Hazelton and Mr. Heinrich. I think I will keep them separated in the future." The reason was obvious.

7. Likes liked this post
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"He was," he remarked about the potential defensiveness. "I had wanted to get to know him better but most of the conversation was focused on his incessant need to defend his position on 'standing up for friends' to 'give them feedback and ideas' to 'help bring Kindred society to the next level of social normality'" His fingers flicked in loose air quotes as he paraphrased, "I am wholly unconvinced it was a temporary lapse in judgement." He shrugged his shoulders, "But... my intent was only to warn him of the potential ramifications of his actions to both himself and whomever he thinks he's helping- not to endlessly argue the point. He knows better now if not from me but from you as well. I spoke to him towards the end of September. I hope your conversation came afterwards." For his sake, at least.

He grinned at the mention of incidents, "Ah yes. I hope you were not disappointed that I didn't immediately nip at your heels to join the Invictus. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in your reasons for vacating the covenant so soon after being sworn and named the Grand Wyrm." An interested, but coy expression flashed across his face, "Your story to tell though," Clearly restraint was employed by the Lord to make the conversation optional.

"It is. You'd think the dead would have transcended such subconscious concessions, yet here we are." He shook his head quietly, "I am excited to see if he can be successful in establishing some roots here for the Sanctum. I imagine he probably sees me as quite the asshole for kicking him out of the cemetery but how else would he avoid actively working against the Domain or his Covenant when they have opposite goals?" He pondered in thought, "I wonder if he would have actually listened if you weren't there." His eyes lingered on Quinn, seeing if she'd weigh in.

"Please keep me apprised of developments," he instructed, equally curious on the true explanation. "Those two..." he murmured. "Do you find one to be more provoking of the feud than the other?"

Blood Hunt:

9. Likes pisces liked this post

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn listened intently to Jack's account of the discussion and nodded a bit sympathetically. "Sounds like you were interacting with the spider persona. It's his defense persona reflected as a spider in his minds eye. I ran into that during the course of the investigation when I said the area around his haven was about the worst I'd seen for an ambush. If it wasn't for the fact that Priscus Hazelton and I have the ability to be completely invisible, the site would have ruined it. I got past that with him, and hopefully you will too." As for the timing, it was before, not after, but no need to vex the Seneschal with that petty detail....

Quinn knew an offer when she saw one. At the same time Kindred paranoia was such a bitch. All kinds of shit wound its way through her noodle in the seconds that seemed to be ticking by faster than normal. Jack's grin was infectious, which both delighted and annoyed the Shadow in almost equal measure. Her lips twitched slightly despite her mixed feelings on the subject.

"When Dirt Nap came back, I knew something was wrong, but I just wasn't sure what at first. He showed back up when we were planning for the Jackal and scouting out Mr. Smith's haven, and seeing how we would set everything up. He just kept staring a hole through me. Like he was memorizing everything I said and did. I avoided him as long as I could, but eventually I came home. So did he. He asked me to ride out with him, and it ended up being way out in the Barrens. In the Preserve. We eventually left our motorcycles behind and walked for what felt like a long way. I remember I told Dirt Nap once that I wished I had his gift to sleep in the ground, so I could roam the wild places and not feel vulnerable, that I envied him that. I confessed that it frightened me to venture into those spaces. So I knew something was up."

She let her gaze drop from his then, and it landed somewhere in the vicinity of his desk. Like she wasn't seeing the room anymore, but seeing it all unfold in her minds eye as she spoke to him.

"He wanted to talk. He said it was to get things straight between us, as they have been strained for awhile now. No matter what, I always did everything he asked me to do. That night was no different from any other on that. He said everything I wanted to hear, and some things I didn't believe but he seemed so sure of it. He made me want to believe it too. He gained my agreement, and I thought we had finally found an accord. Then he let the other shoe drop. That he didn't want to kill me, it was his beast. That he had told Mr. Smith to stay around me to keep him from ever being alone with me. And what I had thought had been something we had put behind us in the past, turned out to be the very reason for his murderous urges towards me. He found out what happened with my first mentor, Rodger. Just when I actually thought he may be working himself up to attack me, I sensed something else with us. It turned out to be Mr. Smith in wolf form. He had tracked us all that way to put himself between Dirt Nap and I because he believed that strongly that Dirt Nap couldn't control himself. Dirt Nap's aura showed his deep obsession, and bled between that and being excited, or calm as we were speaking. So I did what any intelligent Kindred would do in that situation. I kept my mouth shut so we didn't have to fuck around and find out if Mr. Smith and I could take on Dirt Nap in a fight."

She paused for a moment and shook her head, as if snapping out of it, and her gaze met his directly. "I couldn't risk Mr. Smith in that moment. My own risks are my own, but I don't think Mr. Smith realized he was being set up as a whipping boy. That Dirt Nap's big confession to him was nothing more than a calculated truth to get him right where he needed him. To be my protector. Which is a real problem when it comes to the Mentor/Mentee relationship. If I cannot trust him, then I cannot learn to make the changes I wish to my soul because in that evening, I would be at my most vulnerable. I can't risk what I have to risk and be scared that I will be attacked at a crucial moment in the change. I didn't confront him out in the reserve for fear of what could happen, and he immediately sent the letters out when we got back, though I did do that deliberately because I let him say whatever he wanted in them, without proof reading them at all, so Dirt Nap couldn't say I somehow forced him to send the letters and write those things. I played my role, for ceremonial it was at that point. I waited until the moment it would hurt Dirt Nap the most to leave. I let Mr. Smith see for himself, just how little Dirt Nap cared for him. Dirt Nap didn't disappoint. Mr. Smith told me if he joined the Dragons, which the only reason he was considering it was because of me, that he would not submit to Dirt Nap's authority over him because he couldn't be trusted. I chose that moment, so that Dirt Nap would understand that when I walked...so did Mr. Smith. He lost his hold on me, and someone to be his little puppet, and his bid to pull Mr. Smith into the covenant and swell the ranks of the Dragons. He then kicked J.C and I out of the Chapter House and burned it to the ground."

Quinn watched Seneschal Jack and just shook her head regarding Conner's involvement in the graveyard. "I haven't heard his opinion of what he thinks of your behavior in the graveyard yet, Seneschal. I will make him aware of the political realities should he gripe to loudly. That I can assure you." She smiled then, a beautiful albeit mischievous smile. "As to whether he would have left that graveyard without my backing you up?" She gave a gentle head shake. "I think its safe to say he found the both of us to compelling to resist."

Quinn looked slightly annoyed for a moment and let out a breath. "I will admit that her extremely unfortunate timing to call Mr. Heinrich out publicly kind of puts a kink in her argument that she's been nothing but mature and attempting to resolve the lingering issue between them, but overall its Mr. Heinrich's fault for not making an overture as a gentlemen should in this situation. The court is already buzzing with disproval over Mr. Heinrich's appalling behavior. I mean, if I were a mind reader, my money would be on Priscus Hazelton ultimately being innocent of any wrong doing. Mr. Heinrich has other issues that prevented him from signing the oath at the swearing ceremony, so even after he left the covenant and he mysteriously met with The Notary, the Duchess, and himself...he waisted their time yet again. I know the face of the one who holds Mr. Heinrich's loyalty, but not the name sadly."

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque listened as she expertly outlined her evaluation. His expression shifted into mild confusion as the discussion unfolded, "Last we spoke, you seemed far more uneasy about Mister Smith's condition. It left me with the impression that he was a powder keg ready to blow up in Mister Dirt Nap's face. Now it seems like you understand him more intimately with less... concern?" There were probably better words for the circumstance, but they escaped him in that moment. "Even wishing to not put him at risk."

An unnecessary press of air sighed past his lips at the account of what happened with Dirt Nap, "That's unsettling," his hands folded as he leaned back in his chair, "But perhaps I'm missing context. What happened to Rodger?" of course the Lord knew, but she didn't know that. He opened a drawer of the desk and produced a letter. "If you cared to see it," he offered while sliding the letter across the desk. "My favorite part was his declaration by 'unanimous vote'." He grinned, still self-amused by the absurdity of it.

"Time will tell," he remarked on the manners of Conner and her promise to reign in any ill-will. "Though to his credit he did listen. I'm working out details on how to subtly reward his contribution. It is a complex scenario, given his near breach." But still a behavior he wanted to reinforce.

He nodded, "It certainly does, but there is only so much patience..." he trailed off, not wanting to state the obvious. He chuckled at the 'if' qualifier, "How savvy of you to delve into secret rituals and ceremonies. I wasn't aware of a second meeting, but it is interesting to see he tempted fate an additional time." He pondered in thought for a moment, "Successfully, as it were." He was perplexed at how he survived the attempts at dancing around the oath. Though his career within the Invictus did not. "Any revelation on who the person is to him?" Mentor, handler, Sire, old flame.

Blood Hunt:

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn nodded with Jack's assessment of her evaluation of Mr. Smith. "It's hard to not trust a Kindred who was willing to put himself between Dirt and I." She spread her hands slightly. "I've been in his head a lot, to say the least, since then. Even knowing what I know, I think he's stable for now. Whether or not that will hold, well, all we can do is keep a close eye on it. We work well together, and have learned to trust in each other's strengths and make up for the others weaknesses." She supplied with a ghost of a smile on her lips. "If I am going to take on a title such as 'Reeve' I want to make sure I am thinking of each and every member of our courts safety. Not just my own."

It was almost impossible for her to talk about it without some lingering emotions seeping into her tone and her expressions. "Rodger was a Gangrel Mentor within the order, who didn't have a lot of options. Most had been ashed during the siege of the city, and what remained was a ghost of its former glory. He saw an opportunity to bolster the ranks to survive the purge that was coming. So with some intel he paid for he became aware of my presence. I was attending a local community college taking some art classes, and he posed as a teacher. Then offered tutoring which became private lessons. The jig as they say, was up, when the Kindred I was in the care of couldn't follow me that night."
    Quinn remembered that moment. When she realized not just what he was, but clan and covenant. She had known she was in deep shit, but how deeply he intended to insinuate himself hadn't even entered her darkest fantasies yet. "He made his intentions clear that he just wanted me to learn about the order. To begin the training to expand my senses, to understand I would be making a rash decision joining the Invictus, that there was so much more out there for a bright young Kindred such as myself. He needed insurance of course. After all what was to stop me from going to my sire? He forced me to drink his vitae, and it was this vinculum that Dirt Nap found out about. The not so straight lines that lead to my joining the covenant. He said it made him view me as a victim." Quinn snorted slightly and shook her head.

Quinn nodded to the bit on Conner. Thankful that he would be receiving something for his efforts. "Thank you Seneschal. I am sure he will be thankful." Or you know, she could educate him on why he was so fortunate. Which was more than likely.

"It was someone important, I know that. Someone who truly mattered. If I go with what my intuition tells me, I would go with sire, as a best guess but I do not know for a fact. I met with him again, and tried to leave him with another perspective on all of this. Whether he chooses to act on it or not, is up to him. But I certainly met with him privately on Priscus Hazelton's behalf, and without her knowledge, to try to usher in a new leaf in that situation. Whether he takes my perspective to heart or not, is really up to him."

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Outside of his incessant defense of his actions, he seemed stable and collected." He chuckled for a moment, "No less together than I've seen other Kindred at least." He hummed in thought, "Is there anything else I should be aware of with your newer revelations on his frame of mind? I'll venture to say my comments regarding him and Mister Dirt Nap will carry forward to you as well now." Her pet, her responsibility.

"Reeve?" he grinned, "Still being ambitious?" Good.

He listened to the greater detail of what he already knew, "Under certain circumstances it could be a reasonable view," he debated aloud. "But all in all, those are choices that are made in the moment. I imagine that your choice to succumb to vinculum was made along with the choice to join the Order and not before."

"I certainly would hope so," he remarked. "His gratitude may be overshadowed by my request for him to not be seen without feigning life for the foreseeable future." The first tradition was a serious matter, and could not be ignored. His lips tightened to a grin once more, "But we'll see."

"That it is," he agreed. "I appreciate your efforts to obtain clarity on the subject but I don't believe there is any more to uncover. His loyalties are as they are and so his punishment is an albatross of his own making. He plays games and obfuscates the truth which simply won't be tolerated."

"How has Mister Northbridge been coming around since we last spoke?"

Blood Hunt:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread