Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
(PRP TMTP) - Off the Record

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.

Continued from (PRP TMTP) - Curtain call...

Malcolm sat down in one of the chairs, barely hiding his excitement for this opportunity. Puck apparently really knew how to sell a story.

The actor waited for everybody interested to join him before asking the last one: "Close the door, will you?" The dressing room was pretty ordinary: a clothes rail with mostly empty hangers (and what appeared to be Malcolm's private clothing, pretty similar to what he was wearing as a costume), some old posters of productions past and a table with a mirror and some basic stage make-up utensils lying around.

"So. The Sacramento Bee, was it? And you're going to cover the production?" With that out of the way, he apparently had time to think about what else Puck had said outside. "What did happen with the tree?"

Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

Winds blow around the mage, varying in intensity depending on the spell and parting abruptly after.
    Puck Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

Puck followed the guy into the side room and closed the door as requested. He took a second to take in the surroundings and listen to the actor. It was his last question that got his full attention. The thing is, certain pieces had been sliding into place and the question about the tree was the last piece. There was no superior, the weaker connection to Malcolm was the ticket person with the attitude. The barbed collar was how the other actors perceived him. Malcolm wasn't being obtuse, he was answering questions as best the quiescence would allow. The tree was magic, but it wasn't being activated by the sleeper cast members. At least not consciously.

Which meant Puck was in the very awkward position of tilting his hand to someone who wasn't supposed to see the cards. Woops.

"The Bee indeed."
    An awkward chuckle slipped out as the Acanthus did his best to think of a way out of this. "So do you watch the audience during the production? Did you ever notice any sudden shifts in their body language? Their over all demeaner?"

The magic tree breaking into their minds to make them like you?

"It felt like there was a very sudden shift in their reaction from my side towards the end. And maybe something that you and the other actors might have noticed beyond the performances."

3. Likes Aeolus liked this post

The slight confusion made way to undeserved pride when Puck talked about the audience's reaction. "But that's what I've been telling you: they're moved by what we're doing. Actually the first draft of this play wasn't nearly as successful." Malcolm is in full interview mode now, ready to share the thrilling tale of how his magnum opus came to be. "We had an idea, a vision - you know, changing the world through our art - but real inspiration struck when I met that guy in the park. One of those chance encounters you so often read about." He really stresses that point, as if to make sure that this wonderful detail was guaranteed to make the final draft of the article. "We had a talk, not unlike the dialogues you heard tonight. I couldn't wait to get home and rewrite almost everything."

A startled noise - Becky - was heard from outside. Malcolm furrowed his brows and looked at the door, before regarding the Acanthus again. If Puck had to guess, he'd say that Malcolm wasn't so much worried as he was annoyed by the interruption.

"Anyway. I think I might start working on something new soon. A person's mind needs to be constantly challenged, lest they grow cold and disinterested." The heated words exchanged outside seemed forgotten. This guy was apparently serious about his art and his career. "So what else do you need to know?"

Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

Winds blow around the mage, varying in intensity depending on the spell and parting abruptly after.
    Puck Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

Puck listens. The noise outside registers but doesn't distract the Acanthus. Phoenyx was outside, and if he or anyone else were in danger she'd say something. Malcolm's response was interesting though. He was getting the distinct impression he was talking to a narcissist. He had been fairly self absorbed this whole time, but his emotional reaction to the noise said plenty to those with the eyes to see.

"Can you tell me about this chance encounter? Who did you meet? Where did you meet? Around when was this exchange held?"

When should I try my postcognition?

"If this was so inspirational I'd love to know more about it."

Mostly whether that turn to nihilism was Malcolm or this other guy.

6. Likes Aeolus liked this post

Puck's intuition might not be too far off: Malcolm's mood dampens slightly as the focus turned away from his genius and to his unknown inspiration. The moment passed though and the actor at least had the decency to think about the question for a beat or two. "Oh, that must have been.. around two months ago? As I've said, I was just taking a break - you know, from the creative process. I was sitting in Southside Park, enjoying the beautiful weather, watching the people, gathering inspiration when that guy sat beside me and just chatted me up." Little by little his speaking cadence grew closer to the way he talked when reciting the dialogues of his play. He was getting into a storyteller mode - either because he was giving out less than reliable or truthful information or because he wanted to make this interview more interesting to listen to.

"We indulged in some small-talk - you know I'm always open to meet new people - and then we kind of talked about human nature and the state our society is in right now. He made some really good points, we kinda agreed on many things straight away. And I knew that I had to make my message bigger to have the impact I wanted. I thanked him - we even hugged - and that was that. Just imagine: if I wasn't such an open person I would have missed out on this." He apparently didn't deem that stranger important enough to describe him in more detail, or ask for his name back then. Puck was left with some more pointers, but frustratingly little actual facts.

Puck can make an (Int + Comp +1) roll. Status, Contact or specialties in Culture give a further +1 bonus.
    Success

Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

Puck Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

This guy got conned. Puck was all for meeting people but it's never that easy to just talk and open up like that on a first encounter. Or maybe Puck was more of a standoffish introvert then his self awareness allowed him to see.

"interesting."

Puck smiled. Things were getting clearer. it sounded like he was talking to patient zero the more he thought about it.

"Did you redo the set after your meeting as well?"
    Gotta make it about Malcolm to get those details. "Or were the tree and bench already part of the act?"

He half expected the tree to be a gift from this stranger. That would be to easy though. There was probably a middle man to dodge any suspicion.

9. Likes Aeolus liked this post

Puck's hunch on how to approach the questioning seemed correct: a satisfied smile spread over Malcolm's face. "Of course! We initially wanted to go with a bus stop but in hindsight I see how overdone that idea is. I wanted to honor this encounter in a way, which is why we've decided to set it in a park." He considered for a moment, then added. "Luckily Tasha's really good with her hands. She built that set in no time." Still, it sounded more like he was praising his leadership skills rather than the work of the other people involved.

But maybe that was just the Acanthus' biased opinion of the actor.

Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

Puck Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

"So overdone."

The Acanthus smiled and nodded for the man.

"Tasha is your set designer?"
    Tree maker? Magic user? Person I need to talk to? "Could I get a contact number for her? I'd love to know a bit more about how she brought the whole the set together."

A pause and a deep breathe.

"Other then that I think that's all I really need to know. I can pass the word along when I get back to work."

Info for visibility. That was the deal. Puck had a few leads now so he had to give a decent word for this production. Of course that was going to wait until after the magic brain washing stopped being a thing, but that wasn't something to share with the sleeper.

12. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Bump Aeolus "Bump" this post

Malcolm nodded along, satisfied to have found someone that shared his views.

"Oh, Tasha is our all-purpose weapon. She built the set, mans the lights and sound booth and handles the audience. Thankless jobs, but someone's gotta do them right?" A painfully ignorant shrug and smile. "I bet she's still around, picking up bits and pieces. You know, I'm not really comfortable with giving out her contacts just like that. Like, it's a matter of consent and all."

The actor's eyes basically lit up when Puck repeated his promise. He eagerly stood up and thrusted his hand towards the Acanthus. "Let me know if you need anything else. I am here almost every night." And with Puck's purpose fulfilled Malcolm was already showing him the way out.

Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

Puck Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Will do."

And with that Puck was off!

Returning to the main thread.

15. Likes Aeolus liked this post
Closed Thread