Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Moving day

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Sep 20, 2021 : Kaze bumps into Belle
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Striking Looks
    (An Extremely Fit and Healthy Glow)
    Presence
    (Disconcertingly easy to talk to and open up)
    Toxin Resistance
    (+2 vs drugs, alcohol and toxins)
    New Identity(Steven Chojun Trueheart)
    Kaze

Nimbus. The sound of rushing wind and flashes of lightning surround Kaze, and his clothes and hair move as if he is in a windstorm.
    Monthly Rits

Monthly Rits Spell Cloaks Spells do not show unless scrutinized
    Transform Aura pot 1 (Aura is as a Sleeper)
    Organic Resilience (Life Mage Armor 2e) pot 3 ( Armor 2; Defense 2 + Higher of Dex or Wits)
    Body Mastery pot 1 (x2 rate healing Bash, Letha, Agravated; +1 success on all extended and instant rolls to resist diseases, poisons or drugs; +100 years lifespan)

Scene specific spells: in mini-sheet 4
    Scene Specific

(Portrait) Portrait of an Angel
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 3 ( +1 vs Bashing: Kung Fu 1)
    Defense 5
    Vulgar -1
    Active Spells: 3/5
    Personal Spells: 3
    Spell Tolerance: 3/3 Spell Rolls
    [1]Transform Aura[M]
    [2] Supernal Vision[D]
    [2] Organic Resilience[M]
    Key: Potency | Effect declaration if needed | Turns remaining ("M" = Monthly Ritual)

(Bad House) The Return
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 9 (Dex 6 from Honing the Form)
    Vulgar -1
    [4] Honing the Form
    [3] Organic Resilience Aurora's Life 5
    [2] Body Control [M]
    Key: Potency | Effect declaration if needed | Turns remaining ("M" = Monthly Ritual)

+2
    SL
    PRE

"SO, this is it." Kaze says as he opens the door for Belle to enter.

"Hey," He says as he shuts the door behind her. "Do you mind, can I have your permission to cast a spell to give you Supernal Vision? He asks gently. "I want to show you the Hallow."

"Oh, and maybe after that, another Life spell to boost your strength for carrying stuff up, if you're okay with that."

Kaze's condo is a second floor walk up in a gated community called, 'Woodside' nearby the University of Sacramento. Inside the floor plan is spacious and airy with a private balcony and vaulted ceilings that make it feel open despite only being a 1 bedroom; 1 bathroom unit. The living room has only a desk on one wall and a futon currently in couch configuration on another, and a folded out beach chair with a tray built into the arm rests. In one corner is a large cage holding a number of pigeons, 8 to be precise if one takes the time to count them. The cage is about five feet square and about four feet high, with boxes mounted inside for roosting pairs. The cooing of the birds is omnipresent though not particularly loud.

There are stacks of books on the floor and on the counter of the kitchen area, and the bedroom itself is completely empty except for a padded mat on the floor and a wooden post with dowels projecting out that might be recognized as a kung fu training equipment, or just look like something for cats or maybe the pigeons. There is a holder on the bedroom wall for various staves and a set of two sheathed swords, one with about a three foot blade and another with about a two foot blade, both of them slightly curved.

The books in the stacks are mostly non-fiction, of
    various topics and authors.
    various topics and authors.

Spells: Monthly Rits Transform Aura (aura appears to be a sleeper) Spell Cloaks (See mini-sheet)

2. Likes Aeolus, , BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Rose Among Thorns
    Matriarch
    Presence
    (Friendly)
    Direction Sense
    (I Know The Way)
    Danger Sense
    (Spidey Adjacent)
    Occultation
    (Blinded by Thorns)
    Belle

Nimbus: Cracks in space appear just over her skin, shaped like toothy, hellish maws. If she's extra and especially angry, those maws will speak.
    PRP Stats

2/5 Personal Spells
    *Incognito Presence (1 suxx)
    1/3 Vulgar Spells
    Health
    Mana: 9/9
    WP: 2/3

Equipment: Knife, Minivan, Shoulder Bag (magnifying glass, flashlight, plastic gloves), Smartphone, Wallet ($50), Artifact (see minisheet)
    Combat Stats

Defense: 2 (Wits/Dex)
    Initiative: 4
    Speed: 9

OCC
    PRE

Belle enters and starts taking in the space. Her mind already plotting out distances, exits, entrances, corners, nooks, and crannies. Very little about a room's layout was missed by a Space Adept. "I like it! The vaulted ceilings help make this place feel more open. Almost like a castle courtyard." Sue her, Belle was one of those 'nerd' Mages who kind of liked the idea of working out of castles and towers instead of offices.

2 successes

Belle hears the word 'Hallow' and immediately follows up with "Way ahead of you!" as she weaves her Mudras in the air and enhances her eyes with sight beyond sight. She could further enhance it to reveal emotions, but she doubted the walls in this place could really talk or think. "Wow! You weren't kidding about the pigeons." She looks into the coop, eager to see if the birds showed off any magical resonance. "So is this some kind of experiment? I can't imagine what the pet deposit must be like for this place."

She turns around and spreads both arms wide. "I'll take the extra carrying capacity. Hit me up!" Most of Belle's belongings were books, clothes, and a few odd furniture pieces that were used to store books in. There was a story behind that, but perhaps that was for another time. Right now, it was moving day and she finally had a Sanctum!
    Artifact

4. Likes Ruach, Aeolus, liked this post
    Striking Looks
    Presence
    Toxin Resistance
    Kaze

Nimbus. The sound of rushing wind and flashes of lightning surround Kaze, and his clothes and hair move as if he is in a windstorm.
    Monthly Rits

Organic Resilience (Life Mage Armor 2e) pot 3 ( Armor 2; Defense 2 + Higher of Dex or Wits)
    Body Mastery pot 1 (x2 rate healing Bash, Letha, Agravated; +1 success on all extended and instant rolls to resist diseases, poisons or drugs; +100 years lifespan)

Scene Specific

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 5
    Vulgar -1
    [1]Transform Aura[M]
    [2] Supernal Vision[D]

(Bad House) The Return
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Vulgar -1
    [4] Honing the Form
    [2] Body Control [M]

(Hallow -1 cost each; 3 manna for Honings)Mana 3 Spent
    +2
    SL
    PRE

"I know, right?" Kaze agrees enthusiastically when Belle admires the castle/tree fort vibe of the place!

"Oh, well I own, so...yeah, not so much a problem." He says when Belle asks about a pet deposit. "And as long as they're healthy, they aren't as messy. Pigeons are basically all feral, not native, and they aren't protected at all. I use Life to heal them, and study them, mostly to help me learn better how to turn into a bird." Kaze explains. "Which totally rocks, by the way!"

He grins.

Kaze leads the way to the back where the bedroom is. The bedroom itself hasa high king sized platform bed with a desk underneath with a computer on it, and a swivel chair. Beside the bed, there is a padded mat on the floor and a wooden post with dowels projecting out that might be recognized as a kung fu training equipment, or just look like something for cats or maybe the pigeons. There is a holder on the bedroom wall for various staves and a set of two sheathed swords, one with about a three foot blade and another with about a two foot blade, both of them slightly curved.

Belle senses a modest Hallow, the surrounding are infused with manna of a calm, peaceful resonance.

"Okay, I have to improvise; I haven't buffed up anyone else before, honestly." Kaze says, smiling.

"UH!" Kaze grunts in pain as he absorbs wild abyssal energy!!!

2 successes

2 successes

Kaze's spell collapses, swallowed up in the abyss!

He takes a breath.

"Okay. WOW. Yeah. Shake it off." Kaze says, seemingly to himself.

After a few minutes, he grins still somewhat shakily and says, "Yeah. I'm going to try that again." in a determined tone.

"Uh." Kaze grunts in pain, less so than before.

1 success

3 successes

"Whew. I swear, this is a great place to work spells. Just...maybe not for improvising major ones, not for me anyway." Kaze says grinning though he is seriously bruised by having to absorb the paradox from both spells!

"Okay. I'm going to try me now, which I have the rote for, so here's hoping it goes smooth!"

He smiles, satisfied. "Yeah. Okay. Way better with the rote." He says quietly.

failure

4 successes

My apologies! I accidentally copied an older description, so this one of the bedroom is accurate, not the original scene opening bedroom description.

Also I forgot to subtract one effect die for the repeat attempt. Subtracting from the right, it still leaves 3 SUX and then subtracting the paradox, that should leave Belle with her Strength enhanced by +2 dots for this scene.

Kaze is enhanced to Strength + 4 dots for 7 total for the scene.
    Spells: Monthly Rits Transform Aura (aura appears to be a sleeper) Spell Cloaks (See mini-sheet)

6. Likes BoxingUnicorn, Aeolus liked this post
    Rose Among Thorns
    Matriarch
    Presence
    (Friendly)
    Direction Sense
    (I Know The Way)
    Danger Sense
    (Spidey Adjacent)
    Occultation
    (Blinded by Thorns)
    Belle

Nimbus: Cracks in space appear just over her skin, shaped like toothy, hellish maws. If she's extra and especially angry, those maws will speak.
    PRP Stats

2/5 Personal Spells
    1/3 Vulgar Spells
    Health

Equipment: Knife, Minivan, Shoulder Bag (magnifying glass, flashlight, plastic gloves), Smartphone, Wallet ($50), Artifact (see minisheet)
    Combat Stats

OCC
    PRE

"A place of your own and in-house aviary? You're living it, Kaze!" The mention of shapeshifting has her eyes wide as dinner plates. "No way! That is actually a really cool way of going about it too." It certainly would help to get into an animal's mindset so as to not draw unwanted attention. "Not gonna lie, shapeshifting is definitely one of the things that attracts me to Life Arcana, besides enhancing Wards and Bans and such." Her whole kit was basically built to push people away, which was why this whole thing felt really good. She was letting someone in.

Then she feels it more than sees it: Kaze's Hallow. The soothing pulse of Mana flowing over her like an aroma. To be honest, it kind of made her hungry. "I've only ever felt a Hallow a few times before. But never like this; usually they were the kind that made you feel excited or powerful." And he was willing to let her just walk in and live here? The weight of Kaze's trust was heavy on the Warlock's thoughts.

As Kaze preps the spell, Belle smirks.
    "Well, you know what they say about your first... She trails off as she sees...feels the spell backfire. "Oh shit! Watch it there, big fella." She stretches out her arms, cursing her lack of restorative magic. Thankfully the process goes much more smoothly afterwards, and she feels the strength of Life coursing through her limbs. She rolls her shoulders and clenches and unclenches her fists. "Woah! Kind of worth it there. You sure you're okay? Don't overexert yourself on my account." It was a humbling reminder of what could happen if Mages got cocky. You don't get something for nothing.

"Well, now that we've gotten that out of the way, let's get started. You can take the futon, and I'll take the bookcases." Most of Belle's actual furniture was things she'd picked up after arriving in Sacramento: a futon, a couple of bookcases, and various hanging racks for clothes and sundry items. Most of her personal belongings appeared to be books. A mixture of fiction and non-fiction; mostly atlases, and dictionaries as well as books dealing with worlds both fantastical and mundane.

selections from Belle's library

Belle now has Str 4 thanks to Hone Another's Form

8. Likes Ruach liked this post
    Striking Looks
    Presence
    Toxin Resistance
    Kaze

Monthly Rits

Scene Specific

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 5
    Vulgar -1
    [1]Transform Aura[M]
    [2] Supernal Vision[D]

(Bad House) The Return
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Vulgar -1
    [4] Honing the Form
    [2] Body Control [M]

+2
    SL
    PRE

"I know, right?" Kaze grins as Belle expresses being impressed at his place and indoor pigeon coop. She's probably the first one to get how cool it is.

"Shapechanging is cool, especially eagle and dolphin forms, but I'm trying to cut down until I reach Master level, so the animal mind doesn't fight for control." Kaze says soberly. "And then I can change other people too." He adds thoughtfully.

"I like it." Kaze agrees with Belle on the peaceful resonance of the Hallow in the bedroom.

"It's good." Kaze reassures Belle when he's battered and bruised from absorbing Paradox. "I'm a fast healer."

"Hey. Be careful, okay?" When Belle is feeling her magically enhanced strength, Kaze cautions, "First of all, physics is still a thing, and no matter how strong you are, if you pick up one end of something bigger and heavier than you are, you will probably be what moves, not it." His rueful tone of voice suggests he has experienced this. "Let me get the other end of anything bigger and heavier than you are, okay. And second, take it easy, gentle and slow, so the neighbors don't see anything too 'amazing', okay?" He says like he's quoting something with the 'amazing' part.

"Oh, hey! Nice books! I love C.S. Lewis, even if his non-fiction is a little deep for me." Kaze exclaims when he sees some of the books Belle carries in.

10. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Rose Among Thorns
    Matriarch
    Presence
    (Friendly)
    Direction Sense
    (I Know The Way)
    Danger Sense
    (Spidey Adjacent)
    Occultation
    (Blinded by Thorns)
    Belle

PRP Stats

2/5 Personal Spells
    1/3 Vulgar Spells
    Health

Combat Stats

OCC
    PRE

Belle nods to Kaze as she picks up one of her book boxes, now light as a feather. "I like to think of myself as 'Miraculous' or 'Spectacular', but I gotcha. No crazy Paradox stunts." Her concern fades just a bit as Kaze advises her on the use of her newfound strength, but she still tries to pace herself and keep an eye on Kaze. "Oh yeah, Lewis is a great read in any genre! I especially like his fantasy books; they're good reference material." Even if it was fiction, Lewis had a way of writing about other worlds that helped her focus her Space spells.

Next, she has them start with the futon. Belle makes a show of grunting and heaving just a bit on the back end, though she does kind of enjoy the performance aspect. Who said living a double life couldn't be a little fun. After they set the futon down, Belle nods towards the mini aviary. "So, have you started naming them yet?" She can imagine a few creative names for pigeons. Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Pidgeot; to name a few. After that, as they move to the other furniture pieces, Belle starts to feel more comfortable with her borrowed strength and gauging her limits. "So, you mentioned you were an Apostate but you trained with the Arrows." She says after they're comfortably indoors. "Did you ever consider any of the other orders? Or do you enjoy the freedom that comes from being unnattached?"

12. Likes Ruach liked this post
    Striking Looks
    Presence
    Toxin Resistance
    Kaze

Monthly Rits

Scene Specific

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 5
    Vulgar -1
    [1]Transform Aura[M]
    [2] Supernal Vision[D]

(Bad House) The Return
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Vulgar -1
    [4] Honing the Form
    [2] Body Control [M]

+2
    SL
    PRE

"Yeah. I bet you are, too Belle!" Kaze says, grining when Belle says she likes to think she's a miracle and spectacular!

"A reference? How do you mean?" Kaze asks when Belle says she can use C.S. Lewis as a reference for fantasy.

"I mean, I get a lot from them too, but mostly how I think about myself or you know, God and stuff. Like Aslan as Jesus or when Eustace is a dragon or like practically anything Puddleglum says." Kaze explains, "But...I never, you know, got the feeling C.S. Lewis was like, Awakened or anything."

"Nope, no names." Kaze says. "I mean, not that I'm going to do anything to them like experiment on them or eat them or anything. Just...I think of them as wild animals, not pets."

"Yeah, okay. Freedom, I guess."
    Kaze says. "I mean, really, I feel like my problem being an Arrow was that I didn't really know myself, like who I really am and what's right for me when I joined. I still feel like that, pretty much. Maybe, when I feel like I have a better grip on that...I could join something like that. Maybe."

14. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Rose Among Thorns
    Matriarch
    Presence
    (Friendly)
    Direction Sense
    (I Know The Way)
    Danger Sense
    (Spidey Adjacent)
    Occultation
    (Blinded by Thorns)
    Belle

PRP Stats

2/5 Personal Spells
    1/3 Vulgar Spells
    Health

Combat Stats

OCC
    PRE

Belle sets down her load, rolling her shoulders a bit. "The way Lewis talks about other worlds, about how the air can be different and create changes in people. Even the way he describes the act of traveling. It's not like the exact science that we know with Space magic, but it puts me in a good headspace for those kinds of spells. Kind of like having the right playlist when you're running." She taps her foot, finger on her lips as if trying to extract the words she's looking for. "I guess it's the sense of wonder. Every place and person has some kind of connection that tells a unique story. For those who hold those connections its so mundane that they don't pay attention. But for someone looking in from the outside, it can look spectacular." A bit of a romantic explanation of sympathy, but Belle was a romantic in her own way. "And hey, who said Awakened had the monopoly on bright ideas. My step-mom was a Proximi."

She looks at Kaze when he talks about his motivations for being an Apostate. There's a touch of concern there, but her expression is calm.
    "Not too many people get that choice. For me it was a family thing..." Something stops her from continuing down that train of thought; something reflexive that almost makes her facial muscles twist. She takes a short breath. "The Orders are supposed to groups where Mages of all kinds can rely on each other. Not just to get certain jobs done, but to hold each other accountable." She smiles, patting Kaze on the shoulder. "I can relate to the whole 'not knowing where you belong' stuff. Being a Mage is all about discovery, right? Some of that discovery is about ourselves. For what it's worth, I look forward to seeing what you discover."

Well crud, that was kind of deep. Let's lighten it up just a bit, girl.

Belle goes out and grabs another box, this time of clothes. Again, significantly lighter. "So, you got any objections to pizza and beer? Figured we should have something to celebrate this new roomie thing. And no worries if you're not into the alcohol, soda's great too." She didn't think Kaze was an alcoholic but she didn't want to bring anything in that he wouldn't like. This was technically his place more than hers.

16. Likes Aeolus, Ruach liked this post
    Striking Looks
    Presence
    Toxin Resistance
    Kaze

Monthly Rits

Scene Specific

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 5
    Vulgar -1
    [1]Transform Aura[M]
    [2] Supernal Vision[D]

(Bad House) The Return
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Vulgar -1
    [4] Honing the Form
    [2] Body Control [M]

+2
    SL
    PRE

"Oh yeah, cool. I can get behind that." Kaze says, nodding at Belle's explanation of how C.S. Lewis' head space helps her with Space. "He's orderly, logical without being tied to the Lies of physics. It's a good framework to hang the concepts on, if I look at it that way. For me, meditation is like that. Kind of clears the canvas for the concept I'm working from."

Kaze smiles at Belle's sharing about families and choices and Orders. "Yeah. Honestly, I felt like I had no choice about a lot of things...and then kind of got a wake up call that I was responsible for my choices whether I thought I had one or not. Now I'm way more into making choices, not putting them off or trying to get other people to make them for me."

Kaze laughs, "I'm kind of figuring it out, open to anything really, now. I stopped trying to just eat 'healthy'; when I was an Arrow I wouldn't even have coffee, but now I do like to drink when other people are. I like whiskey for the taste. None of it has as much effect on me anymore, so it's just a taste thing and about letting other people relax. If they drink, and I don't, it's kind of a dealbreaker on feeling chill together, you know?" He says.

"So yeah, feel free to stock up whatever you want. Like I said before, I tend to eat out a lot anyway, so there's plenty of room in the fridge."

18. Likes BoxingUnicorn, Aeolus liked this post
    Rose Among Thorns
    Matriarch
    Presence
    (Friendly)
    Direction Sense
    (I Know The Way)
    Danger Sense
    (Spidey Adjacent)
    Occultation
    (Blinded by Thorns)
    Belle

PRP Stats

2/5 Personal Spells
    1/3 Vulgar Spells
    Health

Combat Stats

OCC
    PRE

Belle looks at Kaze with interest when he mentions meditation. "Boy, you do yoga? I may have to get in on that sometime." Goodness knows it would help keep some of the rage at bay. "That must really help for long-term ritual spells. Most of my magic is pretty good for in-the-moment stuff, but I've been working on some of the more prolonged spells to hopefully make it easier for me to see and harder to hit." She flexes her Artifact ring just a bit. "Kind of like how this thing works: makes it harder for spells to get me."

She points at him. "Good for you! Sometimes you just have to carpe that diem!" Woah! Dial down the encouragement, girl. Don't scare him. Belle coughs, toning her voice and speech down a few notches. "Sorry; it's just...that resonated with me, I guess. Taking control and responsibility of your own choices, it's a good thing. For you or anybody."

So he's a social drinker? Good for him.
    Belle shrugs. "I'm not exactly a connoisseur. Got one hell of a seafood allergy, but that's about it. It's more the people for me than the actual drinks, but I'm glad you've at least got your own ways to stay sober." She was really jealous of Life magic: you could shapeshift AND never get drunk? Sign this girl up. "Cool! You got any recommendations?" ​Belle pulls out her cellphone and pulls up the browser, looking for pizza options close by and fairly cheap.

20. Likes Ruach liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread