Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
11 - 20
DISPLAYED
(Nexus III) Jennifer, Kaze, and Milton

Sep 29, 2021 : Nexus III
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    Rose Among Thorns
    Matriarch
    Presence
    (Friendly)
    Direction Sense
    (I Know The Way)
    Danger Sense
    (Spidey Adjacent)
    Occultation
    (Blinded by Thorns)
    Belle

Nimbus: Cracks in space appear just over her skin, shaped like toothy, hellish maws. If she's extra and especially angry, those maws will speak.
    PRP Stats

2/5 Personal Spells
    *Incognito Presence (1 suxx)
    1/3 Vulgar Spells
    Health
    Mana: 9/9
    WP: 2/3

Equipment: Knife, Minivan, Shoulder Bag (magnifying glass, flashlight, plastic gloves), Smartphone, Wallet ($50), Artifact (see minisheet)
    Combat Stats

Defense: 2 (Wits/Dex)
    Initiative: 4
    Speed: 9

OCC
    PRE

Belle gives a slight showman's bow. The rush of putting on such a normally garish display making her a bit more bold. But the real world is still out there. Keep it cool, girl. Don't let it all hang out for too long. "Me? Well, my background is in treasure hunting. If there's something spooky or mysterious that could fall into the wrong hands, I help track it down and put it somewhere safe." The cliffnotes version, but still right. Belle shows off her sleeves to Jenna. "I'm actually kind of new to this particular stuff, but I want to get better."

She nods in approval to Kaze. "Exactly!" Nice use of Shakespeare. "You might say that some people see things for what they can be, as opposed to what they are. And then they can make those potential things reality, if only for a little while." She almost thinks of mentioning her Path in particular, but it might not be the best idea to out yourself as a Warlock to total strangers. Not that Jenn and Milton seemed the torch-and-pitchfork types.

Kaze's question to Milton perks Belle's interest.
    I just assumed they were Sleepers. But if they aren't... She backs up to be just off of Kaze's shoulder, curious but wary. "Yeah, how'd you guys find this place?"

2. Likes , Ruach, Endymion liked this post
    Seneschal, Lady Notary, Priscus of the Nosferatu
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise
    Jennifer Hazelton Scenes

Blush, imbibe, 

Jennifer Hazelton Scenes

Blush, imbibe, 

NOS
    PRE

"It does take some getting used to." Jennifer speaks quietly, that just above a whisper way that Kindred seemed to perfect. Dark brown eyes seek Milton's gaze, checking in on him. A risky proposition, eye contact between Kindred who could manipulate the mind. Milton with the gift of command and Jennifer with her wielding of nightmares. She is patient, not forcing the contact or being insistent.
    "I know that seeing this is startling. It takes a moment to expand your mind and realize that there is more than just us out there." She states at normal volume, looping the others in if they didn't hear what she said.

She had seen the wonders at Steve's place. Felt a touch of what he could see, if only for an instant. Attempting to reassure Milton. Yet even as she reassures, her mind that had expected some of the beauty that she had seen at Chris's twists and turns. Trying to explain what this was. Manipulation of light?

Steve speaks soemthing just right, and Jennifer gives him a sincere smile. Slipping a hand onto his arm, a natural sort of reassurance.
    She answers Maya, looking to the brunette and back to Milton. Answering both in her response.
    "I believe it is the calling that creatures other than Mundane feel. I answered the call a bit ago and discovered that Steve was something special."

At Maya's question, Jennifer tilted her head slightly. How do you put that tug into words? And Maya didn't feel it herself? I suppose Chris, no, Steve now... must have told her.
    Jennifer looked to Steve. "It was about a year ago, I believe."

Dark brown eyes note Maya's new position. "Treasure hunting? That sounds exciting. I bet it requires a bit of research."
    Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

4. Likes Ruach, Endymion liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Recovering from his shock, he realizes that Maya has called out his family name: "You are familiar with my...heritage?" He asks, genuinely surprised.

Jennifer's whispered words catch Milton's ear just so. Unblinking eyes flash to her. The Lord produces a wry smile for her benefit. Yes, I can imagine. But does it work both ways? Has Steve gotten used to her, to what she is? An open question.

Ah, the Bard. And some vague explanations from both of these...things. Yes, quite so. Milton can understand. He is, after all, a member of his own secret society.

"Light," he repeats. The word falls flat from Milton's mouth. He does not like the taste of it. "Well then," he responds, "it is nice to meet such...open minded people." His sentiment is not exactly convincing.

Jennifer takes a pass at answering Steve's question in turn. Suitably general. No real content. Milton approves. But he also can't resist his own Shakespearean citation.

"Allow me to match your Hamlet with my Macbeth," he replies to Steve. "I am one of those 'clamorous harbingers of blood and death.'" He says it with a stilted wink and a counterfeit smile. There's humor there, but it is black. Very black. And withered. Let these miracle workers, these light benders, make of that what they will.

A curious look at Maya in the wake of Jennifer's question. "Indeed. What kind of treasure exactly?" What could be so dangerous or 'spooky' as to require that kind of attention?
    Health: Vitae: WP: BP: 1

6. Likes , Aeolus, , Ruach liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (An Extremely Fit and Healthy Glow)
    Presence
    (Disconcertingly easy to talk to and open up)
    Toxin Resistance
    (+2 vs drugs, alcohol and toxins)
    New Identity(Steven Chojun Trueheart)
    Kaze

Nimbus. The sound of rushing wind and flashes of lightning surround Kaze, and his clothes and hair move as if he is in a windstorm.
    Monthly Rits

Monthly Rits Spell Cloaks Spells do not show unless scrutinized
    Transform Aura pot 1 (Aura is as a Sleeper)
    Organic Resilience (Life Mage Armor 2e) pot 3 ( Armor 2; Defense 2 + Higher of Dex or Wits)
    Body Mastery pot 1 (x2 rate healing Bash, Letha, Agravated; +1 success on all extended and instant rolls to resist diseases, poisons or drugs; +100 years lifespan)

Scene specific spells: in mini-sheet 4
    Scene Specific

(Portrait) Portrait of an Angel
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 3 ( +1 vs Bashing: Kung Fu 1)
    Defense 5
    Vulgar -1
    Active Spells: 3/5
    Personal Spells: 3
    Spell Tolerance: 3/3 Spell Rolls
    [1]Transform Aura[M]
    [2] Supernal Vision[D]
    [2] Organic Resilience[M]
    Key: Potency | Effect declaration if needed | Turns remaining ("M" = Monthly Ritual)

(Bad House) The Return
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 9 (Dex 6 from Honing the Form)
    Vulgar -1
    [4] Honing the Form
    [3] Organic Resilience Aurora's Life 5
    [2] Body Control [M]
    Key: Potency | Effect declaration if needed | Turns remaining ("M" = Monthly Ritual)

+2
    SL
    PRE

Kaze grins as Belle seems to actually know Milton's family! How cool!

He smiles broadly as Jennifer touches him and calls him 'special', in a good way. Shakespeare quotes for the win! He gently squeezes her arm in return, seeming to enjoy the connection.

Milton brings out his own quote, a little less commonly quoted, but Kaze is pretty sure the line is not in the context of someone describing themself in MacBeth, but describing 'the bad guys'. Does Milton identify as a bad guy?

Kaze is tempted to quote Milton to Milton, one comes to mind that would take the conversation in the direction he's interested in, from Paradise Lost, “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”.

But he decides that might come off like he's trying to one up Milton or something, so he decides to let Milton get the last quote in.

Kaze grins, "Good one." He says to Milton, acknowledging the quote.

He decides not to talk anymore about light either. He wonders if they whole legend thing about daylight hurting them is true, and decides that he hopes it isn't something he needs to know.

Kaze smiles and turns to Belle as both Jenna and Milton seem really interested in hearing more about her 'treasure hunting' than his acting or whatever else he might be up to. Fair. He is interested in what Belle has to say too.

He also scans the area just keeping up on who's around and what's going on. So far he doesn't see anyone...doing anything 'special' like he and Belle did. Last time people were turning into wolves. Which is really cool, because they did it without taking off or ruining their clothes, and he can't do that!
    Spells: Monthly Rits Transform Aura (aura appears to be a sleeper) Spell Cloaks (See mini-sheet)

8. Likes Aeolus, , Endymion liked this post
    Rose Among Thorns
    Matriarch
    Presence
    (Friendly)
    Direction Sense
    (I Know The Way)
    Danger Sense
    (Spidey Adjacent)
    Occultation
    (Blinded by Thorns)
    Belle

Nimbus: Cracks in space appear just over her skin, shaped like toothy, hellish maws. If she's extra and especially angry, those maws will speak.
    PRP Stats

2/5 Personal Spells
    1/3 Vulgar Spells
    Health

Equipment: Knife, Minivan, Shoulder Bag (magnifying glass, flashlight, plastic gloves), Smartphone, Wallet ($50), Artifact (see minisheet)
    Combat Stats

OCC
    PRE

Milton's genuine surprise is matched by Belle's own. It was one thing to look up some dusty record of an old family, it was another to meet one of that family in-person. "Yeah! I had to do some research on your family's history for one of those treasure hunting expeditions. Turns out your family has some pretty interesting secrets." She gives him a wink; the full details of those secrets were now fully buried in a Mysterium vault somewhere on the West Coast, but she could give him just a little peek into the broader, scarier world he was in.

The Macbeth quote she knew, but whatever the intentions of it went over Belle's head.
    He can't mean a Necromancer? He looked at Kaze's light show and my decorating act like it was totally new to him. That excluded other Mage-adjacents like Liches. Which was a good thing for him; Belle wasn't yet in the mood to port Milton into the sun, but it was a remote possibility for anyone who ran true and well afoul of any Warlock. "Harbinger eh? Nice." She lets the quote slide, content to let yet another of tonight's mysteries go unanswered.

Jenn and Milton's interest in her past does cause the Warlock to puff up with pride just a bit. It wasn't every day she could talk about Mysterium work to newbies.
    "Mostly it's search and recovery of various artifacts; some cursed, some enchanted, others just weird. From there I handle containment and research; sometimes I remove properties, other times I learn how to replicate them if they're helpful. It's a lot of lab work, but there's just enough adventure sprinkled in to make it interesting."

10. Likes , Endymion, Ruach liked this post
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise
    Jennifer Hazelton Scenes

Blush, imbibe, 

Jennifer Hazelton Scenes

Blush, imbibe, 

NOS
    PRE

Jennifer looks between Maya and Milton as the Northbridge family is brought up. That's a bit more concerning to her.
    I know a bit, what Milton shared with me. Yet an outsider knowing could put Milton at risk. Yet she's a friend of Chris- no, Steve- and I trust him.

She hears Milton's unconvincing response and nods slightly.
    " It's not an easy thing to absorb, Milton. I understand."
    She rather likes his Macbeth reference.

Jennifer gave Steve a fond look at the compliment to Milton. Milton seems ill at ease - who wouldn't be with the revelations on the table?- and Steve doesn't add to the din. She appreciates that.
    "Roomies. In the place that I know about?
    That's a nice idea. I do love the idea of mutual protection. "

Light conversation, while looking to Steve to get his thoughts. It was on the tip of her tongue to share she agreed with the sentiment,as she did similar. It was easy to talk with Steve, he engendered trust in her. Yet she's cautious and chooses not to share.

" That's fascinating. I admit, I love a good secret.
    You seem very good at your job, Maya. An excellent quality, I'm glad for you.
    Enchanted- makes me think of Arthurian legend. Is it similar perhaps? Not that I need to know."

Offering an easy out, hopefully without making it awkward.

"Anyone have a favorite work of Shakespeare?"
    A light topic while digesting new information, if folks were of the mind to respond.
    Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

12. Likes BoxingUnicorn, Ruach liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

A polite smile and a nod to Steve, honoring his acknowledgement. He studies this...individual for a long moment. As always, the Lords looks quite plain, but his skin is so pale. And he does not blink.

Whatever does she see in him? He wonders. Not in a jealous way. It's more of a...clinical curiosity. Like a lizard trying to imagine how it must feel for a mammal to regulate its body heat. There's the looks, obviously. No denying those. But he's also quite sure that physical attractiveness is not as high on Jennifer's list as others. And the light show also... Maybe that's it. A shared sense of...extraordinariness.

Maybe. But does it really matter? It cannot last. Not as long as she will. Surely, she must see that. Milton's hyper-pragmatic brain cannot reconcile what it reads as a fruitless waste of time and resources.

"My family's history!" He repeats Maya's words, intrigued (even if his tone is a touch brittle). "That isa coincidence," not really sounding like he believes that, but not seeming too terribly bothered by it either. He arches a brow, "And which secrets would those be?" There are quite a few. But he's fairly certain the one that matters isn't on the list.

Fascinating. Jennifer finds just the right word. "I agree. Quite fascinating. What, exactly, do you mean by removing and replicating properties?" Milton's a smart guy. He's read a fair amount in a rather omnivorous way. She's talking as if this is scientific research. But something doesn't sit right. And it's piqued his curiosity.

He smiles at Jennifer's question, appreciating her attempt to direct the conversation. "I do love his tragedies. MacBeth in particular is a favorite. But I recently re-read Richard II and there's a fine monologue by John Gaunt in the second act that I'd never really noted before. A bittersweet thing, where he laments the King's mis-management of the realm and also expresses his deep and abiding love for the land. 'This Scepter'd Isle," he calls it. Very touching." He looks around their company, obviously eager to hear their own opinion on Shakespeare's oeuvre.

Recall Shakespeare Details, 2 successes
    Health: Vitae: WP: BP: 1

14. Likes Ruach, liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (An Extremely Fit and Healthy Glow)
    Presence
    (Disconcertingly easy to talk to and open up)
    Toxin Resistance
    (+2 vs drugs, alcohol and toxins)
    New Identity(Steven Chojun Trueheart)
    Kaze

Nimbus. The sound of rushing wind and flashes of lightning surround Kaze, and his clothes and hair move as if he is in a windstorm.
    Monthly Rits

Monthly Rits Spell Cloaks Spells do not show unless scrutinized
    Transform Aura pot 1 (Aura is as a Sleeper)
    Organic Resilience (Life Mage Armor 2e) pot 3 ( Armor 2; Defense 2 + Higher of Dex or Wits)
    Body Mastery pot 1 (x2 rate healing Bash, Letha, Agravated; +1 success on all extended and instant rolls to resist diseases, poisons or drugs; +100 years lifespan)

Scene specific spells: in mini-sheet 4
    Scene Specific

(Portrait) Portrait of an Angel
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 5
    Vulgar -1
    [1]Transform Aura[M]
    [2] Supernal Vision[D]
    [2] Organic Resilience[M]

(Bad House) The Return
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 9 (Dex 6 from Honing the Form)
    Vulgar -1
    [4] Honing the Form
    [3] Organic Resilience Aurora's Life 5
    [2] Body Control [M]

+2
    SL
    PRE

Kaze smiles at the civilized little group they're turning into.

Then a ring tone sounds, The Sorcerer's Apprentice.

"Oh...wow. Really Dad?" Kaze says, looking at a text message, sounding kind or excited and bummed at the same time.

He turns to Jenna, looking her directly in the eyes. "I am so sorry, Jenna. I have to jet. Like literally. I'll call you later and fill you in, but...I really don't know when I'll be back in town." He touches her arm gently, perhaps just wanting to remember touch better while they're apart.

Then he make his way out into the night.
    Spells: Monthly Rits Transform Aura (aura appears to be a sleeper) Spell Cloaks (See mini-sheet)

16. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Rose Among Thorns
    Matriarch
    Presence
    (Friendly)
    Direction Sense
    (I Know The Way)
    Danger Sense
    (Spidey Adjacent)
    Occultation
    (Blinded by Thorns)
    Belle

PRP Stats

2/5 Personal Spells
    1/3 Vulgar Spells
    Health

Combat Stats

OCC
    PRE

The idea of mutual protection strikes a chord with Belle as Jenn mentions it. "Yeah, exactly. Cooperation is a valuable resource." The reference to Excalibur causes her eyes to light up...metaphorically, not literally. She's always been a fan of legends and fairy tales like Camelot. "Sometimes; more often than not it's more of the One Ring sort. People are far too eager to shove curses into things rather than blessings."

While Belle was slowly beginning to warm up to Milton, she wasn't about to give away Mysterium secrets just because they were in the family. Besides, Milton could just be an adopted Northbridge. She taps the side of her head with just a hint of a cheeky smile. "Afraid I can't say too much; part of the job description. But it wasn't anything harmful like a family curse. Though those do pop up a lot more than you'd think." She'd at least let the poor man off the hook of worrying about pissing off a witch doctor centuries ago and incurring his wrath. "Well, think about what I just did to my clothes. Some items have similar properties built into them as opposed to being added on externally. By learning more about those properties I can either learn how to duplicate them or prevent them from causing harm." A bit of an obtuse job description, but it covered most of the bases. "It's like an adaptation thing: observe something and then learn to duplicate it."

Seems like the crew was on a Shakespeare kick. Belle thinks for just a moment...
    "Twelfth Night, definitely. It's got all the best things about Shakespeare's comedies: costume mix ups, mistaken identity, love triangles, clever jesters. And all of it's fairly mundane; it's just people making mistakes and finding their happy ending." Belle preferred happy endings to tragedies as a whole.

Belle doesn't catch Kaze's departure until he's halfway through dismissing himself. She's a little surprised at the abruptness of it all, but she gives the Obrimos a wave as he exits.
    "Hey, catch you 'round, roomie." As Kaze departs Belle turns back to Jenn. "So, what's your favorite Shakespeare, Jenn?"

City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Jennifer Hazelton Scenes

Blush, imbibe, 

Jennifer Hazelton Scenes

Blush, imbibe, 

NOS
    PRE

Jennifer glanced to Milton. Brave or dangerous to ask that question gere. So much that they didn't know about this area and who might be listening. Perhaps even listening unseen.
    " This sceptered isle? I might have glossed over that part.
    I don't remember it well."

Jennifer nods to Steve. Concern flits across her face. A gentle hand placed over his.
    " I understand. You're going to be careful, right?
    Call me when you get in."

Jennifer disengages smoothly so Steve can attend to his important business.

Dark eyes follow him out.
    After a beat, she replied. " Much ado about nothing. I used to be upset Hero had only one line. Yet she was an ideal woman of the time: deferential of her father and waiting for a suitor to properly court her.
    Wheras I rather adored Beatrice and her ' merry war' when I was younger."

19. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread