Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(2109) Autumn Greeting

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Sep 1, 2021 : Eternal Seasons (2109)
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Presence
    (Wilting Wallflower)
    Socially Small
    Ashley Green

Mask: 5' 5" with frizzy blonde hair. Skin and bones. Commonly wears gardening gloves.

Mien: Ash grey skin, except from elbows and knees down, which are lime green and sticky with sap. Crimson eyes. Drooping elf ears. Hair is actually straw. Covered in burn scars.

Mantle: Flickering candlelight reflected in her eyes.

PRE

There was great sigh of relief at finding out the Gentry in question... wasn't likely to be hers. Granted, it was hard to tell as they were ever fond of taking on different names in ever an effort to hide their True Name, and even one of their number was reason enough to put a whole city on high alert. Still, the lack of a personal connection gave her a measure of reassurance this problem wasn't connected to her.

"I probably don't have to explain that my memory of back then is hazy and muddled. Not seeing others like me might not be of too much help, my Keeper didn't seem to have a personal touch. Although it might be likely if they shared my color of skin. Well, half my color of skin, the green probably has more to do with what I personally did rather... right, rambling again. I do remember being taken during a Wild Hunt... I think. But my Keeper was more akin to fire and hunger. Actually hunting down others as a sport doesn't sound much like him. I know I'm making some assumptions here, or perhaps excuses to hide my fear, but I just think someone who calls their self The Huntsman would have a different relation with those under his captivity." That was a good bit more to come out than she had planned on when she started talking, so she sat quietly while he explained the figures of note in their slice of Sacramento.

"Oh, I remember Seraphina. I don't think anyone who saw her could forget her. No offense, but even you disappear when you stand next to her."

"Ah, a place to stay would be appreciated. And perhaps a line of employment. I can't say I have much experience working in an amusement park, but as this seems to be the base of operations, I can certainly try to fit in. Or stay out of your way. I'm much better at the latter."
    Wizened Woodwalker | Autumn Mantle 1: flickering candlelight reflected in her eyes.

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Mantle - Chilling breeze, summoning tiny leaves
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.
    Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The Flowering nodded again. "Of course. it is a difficult time. How long have you been back, if you don't mind me asking?"

There is a slight bristle of the Autumn King's Mantle, though his face remains impassive. Jealously was coming ever easier these days, to things smaller and smaller. He did not need to be the center of attraction, save one day soon, and it was only natural eyes turned to his darling wife. "She is a most beauteous woman, it is true, but she has far more admirable qualities. Her husband is a man of great fortune to have found her and won her heart." The words sound sombre and sincere - his hands fold one in another, subconsciously touching and covering the wedding band on his finger.

He smiles. "Excellent. There are rooms at Edna's you can use." he reaches inside his jacked and produces a key. "I cannot promise the work here as riveting, but it is steady and reliable, until you get your feet under the table. There are a few other places I'm sure we could spot you - a coffee shop leaps to mind, or if horticulture is your vocation, there is a Winter Ogre, Gerrit, you may do well meeting - he owns a flower shop locally."

Rhodes rubs his chin. "I think that handles the Freehold pleasantries... If you have any specific questions, now would be the time. As for Court I hold an informal approach - there in only one outher, Anatole, a staunch dwarf who largely keeps to himself unless threats arise, and then he has been ever dependable. I make myself available for all that seek knowledge found within the Leaden Mirror, but my courtiers especially. We are not a large Freehold, and so cooperation for mutual survival drives us more than Courtly politics. Relations between us are strong here - they have to be. And so it brings me to my next question - what was it that brought you to the Court of Fear?"
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

Presence
    (Wilting Wallflower)
    Socially Small
    Ashley Green

Mask: 5' 5" with frizzy blonde hair. Skin and bones. Commonly wears gardening gloves.

Mien: Ash grey skin, except from elbows and knees down, which are lime green and sticky with sap. Crimson eyes. Drooping elf ears. Hair is actually straw. Covered in burn scars.

PRE

"Only for about a year and change. I was in Cheyenne's Freehold long enough to see it under the color of each season, though I didn't really try to integrate myself into it. It's a lot to come back to and I had to realize that returning to my old life simply wasn't an option. Even if I didn't have an evil twin."

Wedding Ring Perceived

There was something in Rhodes demeanor that the shy woman could see. The way his fae winds picked up in intensity for a moment, the way he fidgeted with his wedding ring before hiding it, the way he had spoke of Seraphina. It could've been nothing, just an innocent matter of phrasing, speaking the words as they came to him. However, if the first thing he talked about after mentioning Seraphina's multiple blessings was her husband, she felt like that meant her husband was also something he considered to be admired about her. From what she'd seen when she found the gathering, the Autumn Sovereign and Spring Queen were certainly close. Was he implying he should be admired for nabbing her as a wife? Or did she have another in her life that he was jealous of? Maybe a conflict of honor if he was married to another, or previously married to another. She couldn't rule out his wedding band being a keepsake from another relationship.

Things to file away for later. She didn't dare bring up such personal information, not on a first meeting and not before the person she was meant to show a certain amount of fealty towards.

"Ooh! The flower shop actually sounds pleasant enough," she mentioned as she grabbed the key and slipped into one of her many pants pockets. "It feels somehow wrong, like some sort of secret I'm supposed to be ashamed of. Being fond of working with plant life when that was much of my Durance. However, it was my working with plants that allowed me to find a way to escape. And I certainly have a bit of experience in it now. And if I'm good at something, it seems a shame to not put it to good use."

Ashley fidgets a bit while trying to think of a good answer for the next question. Of course, it made sense that the Autumn Sovereign should know why she choose this Court. Her last one did, after all, he was even the one who lead her to it. However, it was still something incredibly personal to her, a defining weakness. And also perhaps why she found her grasp on reality these days a bit tenuous. There's a period of uncomfortable silence (mostly for her) until she speaks up again.

"You probably have noticed that I'm fairly meek-mannered. There's no real denying that. However, I doubt social anxiety is a good reason to join The Leaden Mirror nor something you're looking for in applicants. But to be sure, fear controls me. ...My Keeper. I only ever saw him as a roaring wall of fire. Torching everything he touched. Consuming everything and everyone in his path. It still haunts me. And when a wildfire happened near Cheyenne, I was reminded so much of him, I... I froze. I couldn't do anything. Even afterwards, I was so frightened, I was willing to grab all my things and move cross-country just to be away from it all."

"But you can't really run from fire. It's kinda ubiquitous. The Fall Queen of Cheyenne, Neon Nights, explained as much. She showed me that with as violent as my reaction to fire was, The Great Conflagration still had a hold of me. I was no longer in his possession, no longer subservient to him, but I was under his thumb all the same. But if I embraced my fear... acknowledged it... turned it to my use. Would that not be taking a little bit of his power away? Large fires still frighten me. Even small ones can inspire flickers of terror."

The Wizened reached under her dress and into a back pocket before producing a matchbox from it. Knocking it open and slipping a match out, she struck it against the side to light it. The attention she paid it was intent, somewhere between enraptured and fearful.

"But now I start the fires. And that gives me a little control. And I watch them burn. And hopefully it'll desensitize me. Fire is scary. Everyone should be afraid of it. But if I am to be burned, I wish it to be because of my own actions."
    Wizened Woodwalker | Autumn Mantle 1: flickering candlelight reflected in her eyes.

4. Likes Aeolus liked this post

Eternal Seasons will close in 5 days (21 Sept) for the Autumn Equinox

6. Likes , Xadun liked this post
    Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Mantle - Chilling breeze, summoning tiny leaves
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.
    Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

"Ah." The simple comment was heavy with comprehension. "Yes, that does make things difficult."

"I'll see about contacting Gerrit and see if he would be amenable." He smiles genially.

"I... cannot say I have. You seem relatively relaxed to me," the Flowering remarks calmly. He listen in silence as Ashley explains her thought and reasoning, observing the striking of the match until the Wizened settles. "Seeking control of one's Fear draws many to the Mirror. Should you need any... assistance in that area I can certainly make myself available. As well as contracts, and the like."

He leans back. "Well then. Do you have any questions for me? Anything else you want to know about the Freehold?"

Damn, wrote this and forgot to post. We need to wrap for the coronation. You all done?
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

Presence
    (Wilting Wallflower)
    Socially Small
    Ashley Green

PRE

The Wizened waves the match out just as it starts beginning to burn at her fingertips before putting on a practiced smile.

"Oh, well thank you! I try my best." Relaxed was a nice change of pace. Maybe it was because it was just two of them. Maybe it was because of the reassurance of the Wyrdstone. Or maybe it was all in her head to begin with and the only person who thought her uneasy was herself. It seemed to be a compliment, though, might as well take it as one.

"Well, I might have some questions for the future, but for now, I think just settling into a room at... Edna's was it? That should be all I require for tonight." Not that she had much to stow away, but getting acquainted to her living quarters seemed plenty to deal with for now.

Yeah, I'm good to wrap this scene. Thanks!

The day comes to an end. A rogue wind blows through the park. A chill in Summer. A reminder of the Autumn coming closer.

Great scene. Closing.

10. Likes liked this post
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread