Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(2109) Autumn Greeting

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Sep 1, 2021 : Eternal Seasons (2109)
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Mantle - Chilling breeze, summoning tiny leaves
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.
    Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The Flowering walks casually in the direction of some Funderland offices stopping some twenty feet from the others. He glances aroundd, making sure the park is as deserted as it appears.

He turns and watches Ashley carefully with emerald green eyes that look almost anime-esque in their appreaence - too large to be human. Boughs of foliage spread from his shoulders, wrists and feet. Thick dary leaves and scarlet flowers blossom at those points as well as his head and temples. In this proximity, the icy wind of his mantle chills to the spine, and there are haunting whispers just beyond the hearing of the wizend's ears.

"So, Ashley. Introductions, I suppose," he says in a deep rumbling voice. "My name is Rhodes, Dread Lord of the Autumn Court and Director of the Freehold of Sacramento. What brings you to Funderland?"
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

2. Likes , Aeolus liked this post

Presence
    (Wilting Wallflower)
    Socially Small
    Ashley Green

Mask: 5' 5" with frizzy blonde hair. Skin and bones. Commonly wears gardening gloves.

Mien: Ash grey skin, except from elbows and knees down, which are lime green and sticky with sap. Crimson eyes. Drooping elf ears. Hair is actually straw. Covered in burn scars.

Mantle: Flickering candlelight reflected in her eyes.

PRE

A couple eyes turn towards her unexpected presence and she's certain she feels the tension rise at her presence. She catches Rhodes' scowl before he seems to brighten up, but the smile feels anything but warm. As she's led away from the group, and now much closer to the elder Autumn's Mantle, she can feel just how potent it is. A brisk, biting wind that steals the warmth of the fading summer and worries her with whispers too faint to actually make out their words. There is, perhaps, some relief to be had in that they share a Court, but she isn't sure of how much comfort to take in that. It just means that instead of getting a beatdown, she'll be under interrogation. Hopefully with no need for tool assistance, she was perfectly willing to say everything she knew unprompted.

"Ah, Dread Lord! Greetings, your lordship." She dips into polite curtsy before clasping her hands together and resuming her furious hand-wringing. "That would explain your potent Mantle. Then I guess I lucked into the right person. I'm an Autumn Courtier from Cheyenne. Err, Wyoming. Kinda out in the sticks. I guess you probably wouldn't know much about it. Lovely place. Too close to home though." She stops to take a deep breath and calm herself, else she blurt out any further inane details. She didn't consider herself much of a conversationalist, but she could still be a little chatterbox if left to her own devices.

"Right. Intent. I was actually looking to find residence in your little town. Well, not really little. Not really a town. Large city? No, doesn't really have the right... my apologies. Uh, glamour signs sang to me that Funderland was where to find the Freehold and I thought I should maybe introduce myself and ask permission and make friendly. And if that didn't work, maybe ask directions to the next nearest Freehold? When I set out to find a new one, I think I underestimated how secret they can be."
    Wizened Woodwalker | Autumn Mantle 1: flickering candlelight reflected in her eyes.

4. Likes Yumyumcrow, , Aeolus liked this post
    Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.
    Rhodes Scenes

(Communion (Air))Glamour 1 Spent
    +1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

There was a chuckle. "The Wyrd has ways of guiding us, my dear. Especially in these parts." Eyes lit at he mention of the Autumn Court. The eye contact was next, watching her reactions carefully. "Ah! I see it now. And remaining close to one's old life can be so challenging. Well... to me an excellent start but it also complicates matters a tad. Fortunately, we have a suitable resolution. If you would be so kind as to step this way, we have a small test we administer to prospective members. Nothing arduous, I assure you - but necessary. Being of the Leaden Mirror, I also expect you shall find it more than a little intriguing." The Dread Lord turned and proceeded in the direction of the offices, a flare of he Wyrd igniting around him.

2 successes

She was alone.The sensation of the air showed they - and the other lings - were the only people nearby. It set his mind at ease. Ashley was on edge, that much was clear. If could be simple disposition, meeting new people.... or something worst. It seemed harsh to those on the outside, but comforting one against Fear insulated one from it. people on edge were more likely to make mistakes. and if this was an act.... well. He had considerable prowess up his sleeves.

Pulling a set of keys from his pocket he opened the main door and stepped inside without a backward glance. Down a corridor and into another locked office. Inside there was a meeting room with a small kitchenette in the corner. On the table at the back stood a large, onyx-like stone, pulsing gently with red and green.

"This is a Wyrdstone," Rhodes says simply. "A magical artefact. Something about the local area makes large-scale Oaths incredibly fragile meaning we cannot bind our freehold in the traditional pact. This has proven to be an accepted substitute. Simply place your hand upon it and provide it with an infusion of magic. The stone will do the rest - making sure you meen this freehold or it's individuals no harm. Past that point, we can talk a little more candidly."

There is a smile. "It will be quite painless, I assure you."
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

6. Likes , Aeolus liked this post

Presence
    (Wilting Wallflower)
    Socially Small
    Ashley Green

Mask: 5' 5" with frizzy blonde hair. Skin and bones. Commonly wears gardening gloves.

Mien: Ash grey skin, except from elbows and knees down, which are lime green and sticky with sap. Crimson eyes. Drooping elf ears. Hair is actually straw. Covered in burn scars.

(Feeding Glamour to the Wyrdstone)Glamour 1 Spent
    PRE

She made sure to hold eye contact when it was made, which also allowed her to notice Rhodes' overly large eyes. Previously she'd been more drawn to the flowers at his wrist and cascading from his shoulders, but she did want the Dread Lord to see her Mantle, meager though it may be and increasingly so in the face of his blustery winds, and this gave her chance to a different facet of his Mien. ...It actually made him look more alien to her. Such large eyes may look fine in cartoons, they were unnerving when seen in real life. But perhaps that was only fitting.

"Like a joke in poor taste. A reminder of what might've been but cannot be. Especially when you have some pretty-faced dunce filling your shoes now. I didn't think I could move forward if I lingered."

She felt a pang of guilt at his mention that it might interest her because of what Court she was in. She had fallen in line with The Ashen Court for its ties with fear rather than its curiosity. Sure, she planned to cultivate her own knowledge on things, but that might only be a limited field of interest. Did that mean she was doing it wrong? Would the Dread Lord think less of her if she didn't show proper interest in what he planned to show her? If there was anyone fit to judge her on the matter, the Autumn Sovereign would have to be it.

She followed the Fairest further into the offices while contemplating just how much curiosity she should force to make her seem sufficiently Autumn. Luckily, the pulsing stone he brought her before was actually quite beautiful and enchanting, so she didn't have to feign interest in it.

"That is a beautiful rock. It flows like blood but stays in one place. Like it's constantly melting. And you said it's a Wyrdstone? Does that mean there's more than one? Did it have to be crafted? From what materials would you have to make something like this?"

It was strange but... was that a frown when he explained it wouldn't hurt?

"So like making a promise on a rock? I should be capable of that."

The Wizened channeled a bit of her own Wyrd into the Wyrdstone. She disliked spending Glamour given how little she managed to keep these days, but it was more-than-reasonable price to pay to prove the sanctity of her intentions.
    Wizened Woodwalker | Autumn Mantle 1: flickering candlelight reflected in her eyes.

8. Likes , Xadun, Aeolus liked this post
    Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mantle

Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

There is a nod to the summary. So many experienced the same, himself included.

The questions are initially unanswered. The Fairest simply gestures to the rock again.

As Ashley touches the stone, she can feel it pulsing slightly beneath her touch. It feels very much alive, like a vein beneath calloused rough rock. In feeding her glamour to it, a bond is formed between it and her - invisible, yet magically tangible. The bond is a web that weave through the Freehold, neither good not evil but simply there. She can feel the presence of Rhodes as she turns around, sensing the connection between them, knowing intrinsically that he is no threat to the Freehold.

The Dread Lord is smiling, a little more naturally. "Remarkable, isn't it?" he says quietly, almost reverently. "It is a treasure work more than most other things in this Freehold. There are more, but it is exceedingly rare, formed of the heart of dragons petrified over time in the Hedge. If it is possible to replicate, such a technique would be similarly priceless. However, most find Oaths more reliable and practical. I have come to take faith in the reassurance the Stone provides - and I have studied it extensively."

"You can feel it, can't you?" he asks, watching the Wizened. "The connection. The knowledge I am not a Gentrified puppet. That I mean the Freehold no harm. It works both ways - I know these things about you, without the need for assurances and Oaths. You will know all you come across and if they are bound to this Wyrdstone and, accordingly, this Freehold - and if anyone bound to is breaks that binding and betrays us." He offers a small smile. "I realise there is a touch of theatrics, but what is life without a little Fear?"

Rhodes turns and sits on one of the chairs gesturing to the Autumn to do the same. "Welcome to Sacramento, Ashley. We were involved in a rather intent discussion, I am afraid, but we will not turn people away. Those outside were talking about one of our pressing dangers. I will not lie to you - Sacrament has it's threats at present. In joining this Freehold, I expect people to serve a role in it's protection - however they are able." He reclines in the chair. "Tell me, have you heard of the Dread Queen Ann of San Fransisco?"

Either you can use what you know or roll Int+Streetwise or Int+Politics :P

10. Likes liked this post

Presence
    (Wilting Wallflower)
    Socially Small
    Ashley Green

PRE

Ashley takes a moment to peel one of her gloves off and place her hand back on the stone, wanting a better tactile connection to it. The muted pulse from before feels so akin to a heartbeat, which makes sense considering its source. At least in the fairytale way that anything in their lives made sense anymore.

"Its voice is pleasurable. Reassuring. Frankly, knowing now what it does, I'm surprised you guys didn't draw knives on me the moment I was discovered. I mean, I'm glad you didn't, but I would hardly blame you if you did. A magnificent find. And so fortunate a find, if as you say oaths are more difficult here. Yes, I believe Wyrdstone is an apt name for it." She had never been particularly superstitious before her taking, but she found with how fate was so tightly bound about them now that there was indeed merit to an external force that ebbed and flowed about them.

Now that she could be trusted not to bear any ill intent for the Freehold, it seemed it was time to pull back the curtain on some of what they were looking out for. Specifically, a rival queen to Rhodes. Perhaps. She certainly recognized the name as what the previous discussion had been about before she had mangled introducing herself.

2 successes

"I may be wrong in what I've heard, but I think that's former Queen? Word in Cheyenne was to watch out for her. Something about taking humans and putting them in labor camps? Or something of the sort. It's all a bit a game of Telephone. I'm probably muffing up the details, but I think the short of it was that she lost favor for atrocities she'd committed."

"I'm not too sure of how much use I can be. Or, well, I'll try! At the very least I think I can track someone real good. And I have a mind to cultivate some Goblin Fruits, Hedge providing. But I'm not much good with dealing with other people. No matter how you slice it."

12. Likes liked this post
    Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mantle

Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The Fairest nods in agreement. "Well, if we all walked around knifing everyone that showed up, we would develop a much more unsavoury reputation wouldn't we? And while there are dangers, that does not change that we should support those that escape the Gentry's clutches."

He chuckles. "You hear right. Makes me wonder how long you were standing there before announcing yourself." Rhodes laces his fingers in front of himself, turning sombre. "But you are correct. Ann was once the Dread Lady in Sacramento. If her reputation has made it all the way up North..." he shrugs. "Still. As one of the nearer Freeholds we seem to have attracted her ire following the banishment from San Fransisco. More importantly she did not lose influence, only the position in that Freehold. Many people fled that city with her by choice, by pledge or by terror. She has captured people, enslaved them, created dream poisons.... some of the worst things we can do."

The Flowering sighs. "The was a Gentry stalking the town in the last year. It has moved on, but there may be some leftovers of it's time skulking around the city."

The Dread Lord nods. "Excellent! There is space within the Autumn Hollow you can utilise for that very purpose, if you contrubute to it's maintainence. And there are others that struggle as well. If you are willing, that is enough. We all have talents - we just nee dto be willing to aply them."

14. Likes liked this post

0 Scenes

Just a reminder that with the Swearing in with the Wyrdstone Ashley can increase her Freehold Status to 1!

Presence
    (Wilting Wallflower)
    Socially Small
    Ashley Green

PRE

The Wizened woman begins fidgeting with her hat as the topic of eavesdropping came up.

"I... tend to blend in with the background. Not literally, of course. But I think of myself like a decorative flower pitcher. I add color to the room, but people forget that I'm there until I bump into them or they me. I grew accustomed to keeping to myself... you know, over there. So now I have to build up some steam to talk with others. Snooping has become something of a habit. It's easy to listen when nobody thinks much about you being there." She didn't seem too upset about it, more embarrassed that she'd been called out on her listening in than peeved about her being ignored. After all, the Wyrdstone could now confirm that we wasn't spying on them to provide information to others. Frankly, it was something of a reputation she didn't mind cultivating: the little dormouse everyone took for granted.

She froze up at the mention of a Gentry lurking about. Sure, Queen Anne seemed to be a pressing threat, Rhodes certainly seemed to see her as much. However, there was still a distinct difference between a Changeling acting like one of the True Fae and one of their members actually prowling the area.

"Just out of curiosity," she stammered out, "uh, which Gentry was this? If you wouldn't mind sharing such information. Not that any Gentry is good, I suppose they're all equally horrible. But you can probably understand my... well, Fear if it were mine. I don't think I'm ready for such a confrontation."

17. Likes , Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mantle

Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The Dread Lord nods, gesturing to his floral appendages. "I can sympatize. But you seem to be doing reasonably well thus far."

"He called himself the Huntsman. We also saw several of his minions - they looked nothing like you do, if that is reassuring." Rhides watches, curious. He hoped it wasn't - such a coincidence was likely to scare the jumpy woman away.

"Each of our Courts holds one of the attractions as our base. We - unsurprisingly - have the Haunted House, Enda's. Former Murder site. It is also the base for the Autumn Hollow I mentioned before. We have seasonal monarchs - Myself, Lady Seraphina of Spring you saw outside - the golden-scaled Treasured. Queen Circe is the ruling monarch of Summer - a blue-skinned elf, and last King John of Winter - a Darkling who blends, much like yourself."
    The elf counts them off on long pale fingers. "Of course, if you need anything - accomodation, assistance getting set up and so on - you can come to myself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread