Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

The Resurrectionists: Sherah Israel

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Jennifer Hazelton

It's 11: 05. You are miles outside the city in a hundred-year-old cemetery you'd never heard of a week ago. The sun will be up in seven hours. Between now and then you've got to find a hidden grave, dig up the sleeping corpse of a fugitive vampire, drive him into to the city and get back to your haven.
    You've got a decades old note telling you vaguely where this grave is and you've got a box the size of an army duffel bag. Jack and Quinn were told very clearly you’re not supposed to open until you find the corpse. A chest has been entrusted to Seneschal Jack and Priscus Durant. The chest is well made with exquisite craftsmanship. This extended to a very strange, ornate lock on the chest. It looks like one would have to break the lock to open the chest. Upon testing the weight of the chest, it would require two Kindred to carry the chest between them.
    The vampire you're after is a former Sanctified confessor called Rafael Pope who went to ground in the '30s when the covenant declared him an outlaw for teaching church secrets to outsiders. The Sanctified call him "the Liar."

This place is called Arkwright Cemetery. The place is huge, made up of a dozen different lots and old graveyards all closed in with a tall, snaking wall of smooth stones. You're standing on the edge of it, in the old Jewish section.

Behind you is the narrow rusted gate you snuck through referred to on the map as the South Entrance. Sticky burrs still cling to your socks and pants from the overgrown mess outside. To your left, the cemetery stretches into a misty haze turned orange by landscape lighting. Down there it's all low-cut grass and bland slab headstones. To your right, the cemetery sprawls up a hill and disappears into the dark. Jagged headstones, leaning obelisks and moss-spotted tombs stand out against the dark ground, some of them the bright gray of dead flesh. Consulting the map that Jack and Connor have or the plans that Milton has reveal the layout of the cemetery. It's still out here. Calm. It smells like wet, cut grass. Somewhere you can hear a car's distant tires glide through puddles. You are well aware that beyond the wall and across the road lays a residential area. A small gated community, well maintained.
    If you'd had the time you could've planned this out for real. Instead, you had one night to get ready. One night to read up on this note, ask around about Rafael Pope or learn what you can about this cemetery. What did you do with that night?

Please post all equipment that you brought with you, including weapons, in a spoiler tag in your first post. You can only use items that you detail here in your first post. Your first post can detail a summary of what you did the night before.

Staying Alert shall be Dice Pool: Wits + Composure + equipment. It is a contested action.

Searching shall be
    Dice Pool: Wits + Composure or Investigation + equipment. Characters can use teamwork on this action (see p. 134 of the World ofDarkness Rulebook)
    Action: Extended. Each roll represents 15 minutes of activity. This action describes a character crouching in the mud, wiping moss off of headstones, squinting at faded etchings, tromping off of the foot path into weeds and thorns and turning over broken tombstones laying face-down in the earth. This action can't be undertaken without getting hands dirty. Do let me know what your character is doing in this action.

Drakken Endymion Killian pisces Shenanigans Connor OBrien Jacque Maeve Milton Maeve
    Please direct OOC comments here

2. Likes Endymion, liked this post

Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Boxer's Build)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Connor OBrien

+1
    SL
    NOS
    PRE

Connor met with Milton and Maeve last night after their investigations, he had only come up with more rumors, but they were decent rumors. He laid them out to the other two Kindred almost in a bullet point fashion.

1. Mr. Pope ran with Belial's Brood while he was under a blood hunt.
    2. Mr. Pope was a Dragon before he was sanctified.
    3. Vincenzo has an army of ghouls.
    4. Vincenzo belongs to two different Covenants, one of which is the Lancea Sanctum.

The rumors about Vincenzo were the most substantiated, and it also meant he was a very formidable foe.

Upon arrival, the haunt filled Quinn and Jack in on what he'd learned, and he assists one of the other Kindred in carrying the chest as they make their way to the Jewish part of the cemetery. He allows his sense of sight to sharpen, taking in every bit of extra light they can, keeping his head on a swivel the entire time. They needed to find Rabbi Meil quickly.

"I've given some thought to the note, and I'm sure I've not been the only one to make this connection, but I think Two O'Clock is a heading, not a time. I'll admit, I'm not the best with riddles, so I could be completely missing the mark on this."

2 successes

Equipment
    Nosferatu Curse: An Aura of Danger, like the feeling that causes the hair to stand up on the back of your neck.
    The Vanishing:

4. Likes Endymion, pisces, liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

(Heightened Senses)Vitae 0 Spent
    PRE

After a night of researching public records, connecting with business allies about the owners of Arkwright, collaborating with Maeve on following other, more obscure leads, and speaking about Connor about pertinent rumors, Milton still does not feel prepared for this.

Perhaps that's because this is not Milton's arena. Not even close. Traipsing through a derelict graveyard in the dead of night, looking for a moldering grave? Maybe if he were a Haunt. Even a Shadow. But Mr. Northbridge is a Lord. And an urban creature at that. This is amply apparent from his attire. He is in his shirt sleeves, no tie. A pair of slacks and an older pair of dress shoes. This is as casual as it gets for Milton. Lucky for him, he has a fresh pair of clothes back in the car, should he need them.

Oh well. Nothing to do but heighten his senses and get to searching. He moves forward, stepping primly. Slung over his shoulder is a laptop bag containing his computer as well as the plans of the cemetery and some of the documents he had uncovered at city hall, along with some hand written notes concerning the information he and Maeve had uncovered the previous evening, should their party need to reference them.

Connor speaks first and, to Milton's supernaturally sensitive ears, it sounds like the Haunt is screaming. He suppresses the urge to cringe. "A valuable insight, Mr. O'Brien," he replies softly. "I believe you may have something there." Milton extracts the graveyard's plans from his bag and examines them in the dark with his enhanced eyes. "However, I believe our best bet is to locate the One Sigh Hill Monument, also known as Lady Grief. What we're looking for should be south of there. And the note mentions that she will know about a 'key.'"

That's precisely what Milton sets out to do. With great care and attention, he starts to move further into Arkwright, stopping every now and again to consult the plans or the map or compass app on his cell phone. Perhaps the others will follow him? Perhaps they have their own angles of approach. He has their cell phone numbers, should he need them.

Searching Rolls

Equipment

I applied a +1 equipment bonus for use of the cemetery plans and the smart phone apps during Milton's search. If this was inappropriate, please feel free to subtract from the rolls accordingly. Limited the number of initial search rolls in the interest of time, and in case the group would like to switch to a teamwork model.
    Health: Vitae: WP: BP: 1

6. Likes pisces, liked this post
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

(Blush)Vitae 1 Spent
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Jack and Quinn were on the way in his SUV.

"I picked up a small fire extinguisher considering the vision you had," His hand tightened on the wheel as he considered how sideways that could get with or without the tool. "One other thing, Mister Holden has had an aura about him that I can't quite place. He either is uncomfortable with the situation or he is uncomfortable with my probing. Pay attention to him and if you catch that mood, find out what's on his mind."

Ramón Llull's name is often associated with "Ars Magna," due to his 13th century attempt to create a quasi-scientific system of thought to quantify all faith and rational thought. He published his work, today called the Ars Magna, in a 1305 text called Ars Generalis Ultima, which he upheld as a systematic method of thought through which all other beliefs and sciences should be considered. It involved the random combining and juxtaposing of keywords associated with the perception of God across interfaith lines.

He shared what he had found out about the Ars Magna with the group as they arrived, and kept a crude recreation of the logic machine with him in his pocket in case they needed it to decipher some clue. He looked at the note and considered Connor's theory, "That sounds like a decent next step after we find the grave." Rabbi Meil seems to be the starting point. "The faster we find it, the better. I propose we each check a row in order, but let's be careful and lay low while doing so to avoid this alleged 'army of ghouls'." Jack's eyes scanned the scenery.

Equipment

Holding action for his suggested teamwork roll on searching

Blood Hunt:

8. Likes Endymion, pisces, liked this post

Maeve O'Ryan
    Presence
    (Forgettable Face)
    Dexterity
    (Graceful Movement)
    Clan Status
    (Mekhet)
    Allies
    (Street)
    Maeve O'Ryan

PRE

She wanted to be more prepared, but one can only have so much time to research. She needed to get better at it. At least she had Milton to bounce ideas off of and Connor sharing these rumors. It was very interesting. Something she didn't expect to really enjoy with the two of them, but then again, she's always loved an investigation.

Tonight she has dressed herself in a pair of black jeans, a black, v-neck tank top, a pair of boots, and her blue hair is up in a pony-tail. She's probably all the more forgettable now that her face is meant to be more prominent.

"It could be a heading, for all we know, Lady Grief is located in the direction of 2 o'clock by some standards of the map. But then, we have a map. Is that so?" She looks at Milton, "Or perhaps, in general, we could keep it in mind. There's a lot, however."

"I agree, we should work together while we search. Prevent us from coming up with the exact same findings over and over,"
    and for once something really hits her, "I'll take point if someone taking point will help. I've got pretty sharp eyes." And she meant that. She's a lot more fiercely sharp in wit than many might take her for. Yes, she's going to continue on the path Jennifer sent her on and see if it continues to work. It's hard when you disagree so much with how the niceties are handled. So overly formal.

She watches as Milton just goes off. Wait, no. Don't do that. I need to do this, you've already got enough you Ventrue butt face. Her beast growls inside and she has to push it back. It's fine. It'll be fine. "Really, I've got this." She hopes she's got this.

Perception - 3 Successes

Equipment:

As Maeve states, she wants to take point on the teamwork action.
    | BP 2

10. Likes Endymion, liked this post

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn Nodded to Jack within the privacy and confines of the SUV they shared. "Of course, you can count on me to read Holden. One thing, quickly- I can use Telepathy to form mind to mind communication, even if I am obfuscated as long as I have eyes on you. I know its asking for a lot of trust, but if you open your mind to me, when I speak in your mind, you are able to speak back to me. Or simply rub your temple with your left hand if you have an order to give me you don't want anyone else to hear."

Quinn was dressed in her favorite sneaky gear, except this time she had on some serious black hiking boots to keep her footing on the uneven ground. Her hair was French braided away from her face, and she wore no makeup or jewelry.

In her hand she held a large and wicked looking blade. There is no way to conceal this weapon. It was a metal fish-spine sword, with viscous serrated bits, ensuring horrific damage. It was made to kill, and looked it. It had a sheath and belt to hold it on the body. A pair of binoculars hung around her neck. The other obvious piece of equipment And her pockets were full of useful things, leaving the clothing behind in the SUV she shared with the Seneschal.

She listened to the accounts of Connor, and Milton, and Maeve. Quinn grinned at Maeve. "Then these will definitely help cousin..." She took the Binoculars off her neck and offered them to Maeve. If she wanted to take search point, those bad boys should help. Heightened senses only went so far after all. And if she didn't like the night vision feature, she could turn it off. Perks of paying big money for the damn things.

Quinn shared the information she had about the box, and why they had to lug it around with them.

Info About Box From Quinn

"I agree with Mr. Northbridge and the Seneschal, I also think that Maeve should take point on the search, and Connor can keep alert to anyone coming up upon us. I will help the Seneschal with the box." Quinn grinned at Connor. "I brought this for you. I figure it would be of more use in your hands than mine." She confessed softly, handing him the crazy weapon and the sheath and belt for it. "I want that back." She said with one eyebrow arched as she handed it to him.

Equipment

Holding for Teamworking Rolls

12. Likes Endymion liked this post

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

(Blush)Vitae 1 Spent
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Book keeping: Blush

Jennifer Hazelton

This is an old stretch of the cemetery without a doubt. Lots of stones here have been half-swallowed by grassy ground. Others stick out of the earth at odd angles or lay face-down in soft black soil. Plots are crammed in next to each other, huddling into the small space available in this section. A few monuments poke up above the waist-high headstones.

Connor notes a boot print beside a tall, stark headstone gleam white and blank in the dark. Behind its severe, weathered angles is an oil drum, burnt black and punctured. The boot print is pointed towards Waterlow Hill. His instinct causes him to check the way that the team had entered by the narrow gate. Now, he notices a small piece of black wool fabric.

Maeve and Milton notice a short stone pedestal capped with a green bronze dish, ringed with numbers, like a clock. Whatever metal decoration used to stand up in the middle of this bronze bird-bath is gone. A sharp metal stub is all that’s left. The pedestal reads, “Josef Meil, 1923-1984” (One o'clock on this pedestal points into Waterlow Hill.)

15. Likes , Endymion, pisces liked this post

Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Boxer's Build)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Connor OBrien

(Heightened Senses (smell))Vitae 0 Spent
    +1
    SL
    NOS
    PRE

Connor graciously accepts the sword from Quinn, strapping the belt on before moving to investigate a boot print and piece of fabric that caught his eye.

"I'm going to need someone else to keep watch for a moment, I think I found something."

The Haunt takes the bit of wool in his hands and wills his sense of smell to sharpen. Holding the woolen fabric to his nose, he takes a deep breath, trying to familiarize himself with the scent of the owner before turning his head up to the night sky and taking a deep breath of the cool air. He thinks that even if he can't track the owner, he can at least try and get a time frame of when they passed though, and decide whether he thinks they may be alone in the cemetery or not.

1 success
    Nosferatu Curse: An Aura of Danger, like the feeling that causes the hair to stand up on the back of your neck.
    The Vanishing:

17. Likes pisces liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Milton stumbles upon Rabbi Meil's monument quite by accident. And is pleasantly surprised: there, atop the structure, is the very clock they've been looking for.

The Lord glances at Maeve, beside him, smiling with delight at their discovery: "If it isn't the good Rabbi," he says, managing a joke in all this gloom and decay. "And, if I'm not incorrect, we will need to follow the course indicated by 2 o'clock to reach the resting place of the boy." Beyond that, it's a matter of finding Lady Grief, her supposed key, and the grave of 'the Liar' himself. Simple, really. Or so Milton hopes.

He looks back their comrades and gestures for them to approach, his gaze lingering for an extra beat on Connor sniffing at his rag. Haunts. What can you do?

Again to Maeve: "I am happy for you to take the lead, Ms. O'Ryan. Shall we continue on once the others have joined us?"

Team work sounds like a good idea!
    Health: Vitae: WP: BP: 1

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread