(Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)
    First thing you will notice about Ale is the abundance of her tattoos. They go from her face all the way to her feet, and not much is left bare. The second thing? Her strong Italian accent.

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

-2 Vitae for Blush of Life and Drink, 
      -2 Vitae for Blush of Life and Drink

+1
    SL
    PRE

The smile was returned, “Ah, I don’t think that is reserved for men. Being right has its benefits. But being wrong offers invaluable knowledge.” Something some often forgot.

She listens with a nod, “That isn’t a bad idea. But not many of us are comfortable being in such close proximity of another predator. Something similar has been done, though it was quite some years ago.” She had even danced that night.

There was actually a laugh, “Nothing to apologize for. I welcome suggestions, and am quite versed in the difference of a suggestion and someone attempting to tell me what to do.” Suggestions were always good.

Chuckling, “Orson Welles,” a pause, “a familiar name, but not one I’ve really read. I’ll take a look into it.” Might be a nice change of pace.

A leg crosses as she leans back, listening to the argument. “An interesting view, but humanity has been coming around to how destructive religion can be. There are fluxes, which are only to be expected. It may fill a gap, but as the years go on, more are understanding what a hoax religion is.” A shrug, “But maybe I just run in a different crowd who view religion as nothing more than fiction created to control.” But religious topics weren’t usually enlightening.

“It allowed him to see another night.” And got her Cain. With a shake of her head, “No, he was born as a regular dog, though the breeder had been breeding only select dogs with the best genes.” Giving Cain his size. “It happened over time. Like I mentioned earlier, numerous evenings, countless months. It isn’t something that happens overnight.” Unless one has the magic for that. She called it magic, cause it would work that quickly.

A sly, calculating smile spreads across her lips, “Your Sire was smart. The talent opens many doors and possibilities to one willing to learn. But a Beast should always be respected.” She respected Cain for what he was, an animal meant to protect her. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Alessandra Antinori │BP 6│Strong Italian Accent

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

A dry chuckle, his dead lungs rasping out the air, "Failure is the mother of success, it's true. And being wrong is the engine of our continual education. But it's only in hindsight that one can relish failure. On the other hand, being on the right side of history is always an immediate pleasure." Which is why Milton likes to take his time, always considers his options as carefully as possible. This habit doesn't guarantee success, but it does increase the odds.

His visions of Kindred dancing arm and arm, elegant and stately, lose a bit of their vivid color when Alessandra reminds him of the presence of the Beast. "Ah, yes. That is the issue, isn't it?" As always. A pause, while he considers the implications. "Though, I must say, it would be a fine way to gauge who has cultivated the proper control. We all must contend with the monster, and I should hope our fellows have learned to do so at this point." If not, it's best to have out with it now so that everyone is aware who lacks the composure.

"He did write, but for movies. He was a director and actor as well. An early American auteur. He wrote and directed Citizen Kane." A look of inspiration lights up his features, "Has the idea of screening a film at the start of a Court ever been considered? How nice it would be, to provide a common, aesthetic experience that might then spur discussion for the rest of the night..." Milton was just full of them tonight. "I imagine it would be something like displaying art in Elysium, as you mentioned earlier."

The topic of religion has introduced a productive difference in understanding, something Milton cherishes. It allows for deeper conversation. "Respectfully, Your Grace, I would argue that this trend of disillusionment you mention is only apparent in certain parts of the world. Or even certain areas in a given region. There has been a swell of religious devotion in the Muslim world over the last half century, for instance. And even in this country, those segments of the population still enraptured by the Christian faith continue to become more fanatical by the day. They are never short of new recruits." The rubes. "I can firmly agree that it is a fiction, and a means of control, but that does not change my point: in order for faith to be used as a mechanism of control, those who have faith must have a reason to buy into the ruse. My argument is that their reason is tied to their material conditions (not some spiritual yearning). Render a man's existence miserable enough and they will be filled with a burning passion for another story. Give them that story, give them that faith, and they will do almost anything for you." A great tool and a great danger, depending on where you are situated.

Back to Cain and the time it's taken to get him to his current state. Not something that happened over night? "I imagine not, Your Grace." The training, the devotion must be total. How else could one control, let alone trust, such a monstrous animal. "And now that he is...sustained by you. Does he eat as a normal animal would, or is he wholly...dependent on what you provide?" Milton burns to inquire further. How, for instance, is the vitae offered? A bowl? Sprinkled on some meat? Directly from a wound in her tattooed wrist? How does she manage to stop the beast after it begins to feed? How long can it go without her potent Blood? But he does not want to pry too deeply, too quickly.

"My sire was a wise individual," for the most part. "And also a font of colloquialisms and sayings," he adds fondly, though there's an ironic twists to his lips. "He had words for almost every occasion." Not they always helped. It's clear from his tone that Milton is speaking not just of the undead but the truly dead. Elias Northbridge is obviously gone from this earth. "Please tell me if I overstep my bounds, Your Grace, but I'm curious: what was your sire like?" He could've said is but does not want to presume.
    Health: Vitae: WP: BP: 1

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)
    First thing you will notice about Ale is the abundance of her tattoos. They go from her face all the way to her feet, and not much is left bare. The second thing? Her strong Italian accent.

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

A smirk as she nods, “I’ve seen many fall from failure to learn from their mistakes. And it’s a shame.” That was the truth of it. “But some have to great an ego to accept they made a mistake.” And that was that.

“One would hope others have learned by now how to control their Beast. But hope can be dangerous in our world. The option of dancing can always be offered, and not held against those who would rather not.”
    Not everyone liked dancing.

“The art I have on display, and often rotate out, had been meant to inspire discussions among those gathered. But sadly, it hasn’t. Film could be an idea, but one approached carefully. Everyone has strong feelings about certain things, and keeping things civil could be difficult. Well, if people don’t behave like adults.” Humor in her voice.

“I can agree with that. But it’s given the rest of the world a chance to see what happens when religion is given too much power. People, for whatever the reason, need something to cling to, something to tell them they are correct. The problem lies in the illusion religion creates in its followers. The illusion that their way of thinking is the only way, that there is a promise of this wonderful afterlife if they believe in the right god or deity. It’s also used an excuse for behavior, for hate and to divide.” She never bought into it.

She couldn’t help it, she laughed, “A very interesting question. He survives off my blood and my blood alone. Essentially like a Kindred would.” And it worked for them.

There was a nod as she listened to him speak fondly of his Sire. At his question, the Savage bristles, “I don’t speak of him.” And that was that. Somethings were best left in the past and not spoken of.

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

"Only the strong survive," Milton says, by way of agreement. "It's a bastardization of Darwin's thought. A cliché. But a cliché, even one born of a fundamental understanding, survives. Precisely because it tells the truth." He mirrors her smirk, a conscious or unconscious assumption of her body language? "If one is not strong enough to admit one's failure, there's no way to learn. No way to learn, no way to adapt. The fate of such an individual is easy to guess. Your repeated observation is sufficient evidence of the outcome." The storehouse of her experiences is tantalizing to Milton. How much she has seen, done, in her rise to the heights of power. It's almost intoxicating to think about.

"Sadly, that too is the truth, Your Grace. It is, indeed, dangerous to assume." A beat, "Still, you offer an easy enough solution. Allow the option and those unsure of their...composure can opt out of close contact." Though it would be quite within her power to compel them to dance. Which Milton finds a humorous scene to imagine. "I, for one, would be happy to participate. Even if I'm not the...picture of grace." Far from it.

"Oh, it is all those things and more." Religion. "A most pernicious lie. But, quite useful for those who know it's a lie, consciously or not, and propagate it for their own ends." A cruel, little smile. He wonders if she is catching his implication about the Second Estate. The source of its strength and persistence. Likewise, there's the intimation of Faith's possible uses for anyone in power, including her. Milton could envision a far off night when, if necessary or useful, Alessandra might assume some sort of quasi-religious mantle as an ancient and inscrutable, divinely-ordained ruler. What he would give to see that. "But. People will believe what they need to, yes? I suppose I am simply curious as to whether our resident Priest is a true believer or one of the more...strategic sort." A shrug, yielding the topic if she wishes to move beyond it.

Her laugh takes him by surprise. He even looks a little shocked before offering her a chagrined bow of the head. "Interesting, perhaps naive. Forgive me if I ask after the obvious, Your Grace. And thank you for entertaining my curiosity. It's just that I know so little on the...topic. And it is so fascinating." A pause as he once again glances at Cain. Back to her. He would love to study the creature, but it's simply too intimidating to look at for long. "I have heard that Ghouls cease to age at the normal rate once they become...infused. Will it be the same for Cain?" More questions race ahead in his thoughts: Does the beast ever sleep? Does it display affection to its master? Will it play fetch if coaxed? Again, he measures out his queries so as to avoid seeming desperate. Or annoying.

When she offers her terse refusal to speak of her Sire, Milton becomes a lighter shade of pale. "Once again, I have to beg your forgiveness, Your Grace... I did not mean to pry... Or to bring up an unwelcome subject." Without thinking, he looks down at his pants leg, picking off a piece of invisible lint. Even clears his throat, a most useless gesture. Sheer habit. The very picture of a chastened man.

Still, it is interesting, this distaste for her Sire... What could it mean? Stop it, Milton. You're going to get yourself killed. Again.

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

A single nod, “Exactly. Sometimes simple and cliché is the best way.” Even she liked to take the easy way sometimes. “I have to say, it’s refreshing to hear someone understand it. Failure does not have to be the end, it is merely a chance to pause, learn and grow. But so few take that opportunity. I was given a chance to learn from my mistakes, and I was able to overcome them, with some work, and ascend the ranks. When we become too arrogant and stagnate, we essentially kill ourselves.” Maybe the chance she was given by Asa was why she extended second chances to others.

Another laugh, “Dancing was one of those things I was never gifted with. My mother tried when I was young, but the lessons never stuck. But I do enjoy,” believe it or not, “to see others who have some talent in that sphere.” And usually, the music was more to her liking. “Perhaps I will take such an opportunity to play my piano for the Domain.” Maybe.

“That is true. But in my eyes, it has never been a true way to get what you want. Sure, it’s entertaining for a small amount of time, but then it just becomes boring. No challenge.” And she lived, ish, for challenge. “It’s hard to say. I haven’t really sat down and listened to what he has to say on it. I intend to, at some point. I only hope he doesn’t fall into the mistakes others have made.” But if he does? She wouldn’t be surprised.

A hand waves dismissively, “Having questions is natural and I’ve always encouraged questions. Hell Hound are not seen that frequently, so I expect questions. But he’s been an excellent way of enforcing the Laws.” Who would approach without asking with Cain sitting there? She takes a moment to glance to him before looking back to Milton with a nod, “Yes, it is the same for him. I have had him for a few years and he has not aged, and he won’t.” she had no intentions of getting rid of him. It made sleep much easier with him watching over her.

Sighing, well, as much as a dead human can, “There is no need to apologize everytime you think you have offended me.” A pause, “It begins to sound disingenuous.” Blunt, to the point. “You had no way of knowing, and I have not been offended by your question. Now you are aware that it is not something I will discuss, so we can move on.”

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

“Perhaps it takes persistent experiences with failure to drive the point home.” Milton spends his unlife in the halls of financial and government power. One does not navigate those spaces and not confront the reality of spoiled plans, failed strategies, and other obstacles. You either adjust to that eventuality or remain in a state of constant frustration.

He chuckles at her profession, “Another thing we have in common, Your Grace. I’m afraid ‘two left feet’ isn’t adequate to describe my lack of ability on the dance floor. But, that comes back to failure, doesn’t it? I’m happy to keep trying.” Besides, for him, dancing is more about the social proximity than the physical. Try to step in time and chat up your partner. He hadn’t even thought about the piano: “What a delightful idea. It would be the perfect opportunity.”

Milton could keep going on the topic of religion. Especially her contention that it's not a true way to power. What exactly would a true. way be? Power is self-legitimizing. Once you have it, you can make the truth. Still, the night is getting late. The topic can be revisited another evening.

Cain, an excellent means of enforcing the Laws? "Of that, there is no doubt," he responds. "How fascinating, thank you for sharing those details, Your Grace." He does not look at the Hound again, either out of respect or fear.

"I..." he pauses, "You see, Your Grace, I nearly did it again," a rueful chuckle. "It's my upbringing. I was taught that politeness is a type of armor you don on the field of conversational battle. Very deeply ingrained." Another beat. "It becomes second-nature, especially in...intense situations." Surely she must understand. Milton is looking at the most powerful Kindred in the domain. Her political and mystical might borders on the terrifying. Even in a casual setting.

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

A nod of consideration, “Possibly.” But there would always be Kindred who wanted everything handed to them and not earn it. They were always around. Kissing ass and wanting…wanting…wanting.

A light chuckle. She could wield two guns and eliminate numerous targets at once. But dance? Nope. “It would prove for an interesting evening. You should pass the idea along to Seneschal Jacque.” Themes were a bit difficult for her to plan. She could have an idea, but usually how far it gets. A smile, “It’s been quite the task to relearn.” The muscle memory was there in her hands, but it was rusty.

“Of course. I’ve always tried to encourage questions if people have them.”
    But some were either afraid, or didn’t care to ask them. “Especially if one is respectful in their questions.” Which Milton had been.

There was a smirk tugging at her lips, “I understand, and it’s not a bad habit to have. The political and just nature of our Danse is dangerous. Politeness will always get you far.” She didn’t fault him. “Though rest assured that should you offend me; I won’t hesitate to let you know.” The Savage was not bashful and did not hide her displeasure when she felt it.

“But, the night grows late, and I have some paperwork I have to see to.” Standing, “Thank you for the conversation, it was quite pleasant and I hope we can talk more again.” Then she seems to think of something, “Would you mind if I displayed your fine craftsmanship at Court? This is too magnificent to not be viewed by others.”

8. Likes Endymion liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Pass the idea along to Jacque? Very well. "Certainly, Your Grace. I'll be sure to mention it to Seneschal Jacque next we speak."

She gracefully absolves him of wrong doing. If Milton still drew breath, he would sigh. "I appreciate your understanding. And I have no doubt you would make me aware." Which is precisely what he'd been trying to hedge against with those apologies. Though now he knows such social niceties will not make much of a difference with this Prince.

She stands and Milton follows suit, "By all means, don't let me keep you from your work. It's been my pleasure to spend this time with you. As I said, I am available to you whenever you have need of me." Nothing could be more important, frankly.

And then she drops a bomb.

Display her gift? At court?

His normal, understated affect cannot hide the parade of emotions that cross his features. Shock, a touch of confusion, and then, overwhelmingly, pride.

"I...I..." He fairly sputters. "Would I mind?" He repeats, a little gobsmacked. "I would be honored, Your Grace. You pay me a great compliment." He bows, deeply, holding the gesture of subservience. Just very, very pleased at her recognition. Public recognition at that. Simply ideal.

"Thank you again, Your Grace," he says as he rises. "I hope you have a productive and enjoyable evening. Until next we meet."

Milton will allow himself to be dismissed and escorted out by Alessandra's ghoul whenever it is clear that she is done with his company.

Thank you for this scene! Great stuff!

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

The Savage nods with a smile as Gabriel appears to escort Milton out.

Was a fun scene! Thank you!

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
Closed Thread