Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(2109) Nights in Ivory

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Aug 31, 2021 : (2109) Eternal Court
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

HP: 0/7 [7 Bash]
    WP: 0/2
    Vitae: 2/6

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

Def: 3 (Dex; Tonfa +1)
    Armor: 1/0 (Reinforced Clothing)
    Initiative: 4
    Speed: 9

PRE

The mention of film prompts a thoughtful nod to Conner. "Any storytelling medium can be a chance to communicate truth. What separates the good stories from the great ones is whether they give an action statement to go with it. Though fun is something I think Kindred don't take enough advantage of."
    Mostly because what Kindred find 'fun' can be devastating.

3 successes

Conner's competitive spirit was beginning to catch up to Edward's. At long last the dreaded queen piece was out to play.

"My studies were mostly preventative in nature; the Lancea Sanctum libraries are full of manuals and books that talk about detecting and combatting feral occult influences. Although I learned much of that in reverse by studying Theban Sorcery." As much as the Lancea worked to distance their 'dark miracles' with other sorcerous origins, mechanically there were too many similarities to ignore. "Things like ritual components, rote practices, even divisions of reality from which certain powers can be drawn; though that last part is strictly theoretical." At least as far as we know. He thinks about Edward's request for recommendations. "Precious few, and most you'd have to look at the restricted sections. But I do have friends in the Academic sector who have pulled strings for me in the past." ​Knowledge certainly helped distract him from getting into trouble in the past; maybe a new pursuit would help Edward keep in line. "Perhaps we can get a rental agreement going? I'm hoping to convert part of the Lance HQ into a useful library at some point." As long as he knew where the books were and that they would be returned.

Cyber-security? That's an understated but useful field, especially for us Kindreds
    "Do you currently pursue cyber-security as a business? I imagine that we could find many useful applications in this day and age." Conner tries to imagine what a 'public library' computer server in Elysium would look like, and how that could be implemented given the Laws. Though the Masquerade risk was high, if they took enough precautions it could be a worthwhile resource.

16/16, neck and neck

2. Likes liked this post

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Daeva Vice: Wrath
    Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

The fun point was true enough, but Edward hadn't done anything for 'fun' in decades. He'd have fun of course, but that had never been the reason for an activity. For instance, while the chess was fun, the primary purpose was feeling out how the Shadow across from him thought.
    1 success

The answer? Flexibly.

"I would very much appreciate being on the mailing list for that library to be. If there is any difficulty with construction, it would be my pleasure to advance rental fees." Edward didn't want to overstep and assume there might be financial problems, it's only that Conner did say TA, and TA's aren't exactly known for being well compensated.

"I do indeed." Edward pulled a business card from an inner pocket with the label 'Danse Security' and handed it to Conner. "Ambitious ventures and security tend not to go hand in hand, as a result, I fear my imagination is somewhat stunted by the focus towards the latter inherent in the profession. Unless of course, I am imagining ways in which something might go south." Edward laughed. "But I don't intend to dissuade fresh eyes from generating fresh ideas. Did you have something in mind, or were you considering the subject more generally?"

4. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

PRE

Conner's Beast squirmed at the continued insistence with building ties with this disgraced Incubus. But the Man was intrigued, and willing to see past mistakes made. He was in no position to throw stones.

1 success

"I'll definitely keep that in mind. The curse of any ambition is the necessity of resources to make it a reality."
    Peer or patron, there is something here that bears merit. "Ideally I'd be renovating any pre-existing spaces before building new ones, but we shall see what comes."

Conner takes Edward's business card and flips it forward and back, his keen eyes hovering over the lettering; his fingers brushing over the material. The corner of his mouth curls up as he looks at Edward. "I appreciate the wordplay." A clever mind and a sense of humor...assuming he came up with the company logo. "General perhaps, but thinking about all the investigations that are taking place I can't help but wonder if a dedicated online research hub would be a worthwhile investment. Something to save time returning to Havens and retrieving personal computers, but with a dedicated server to maintain a closed network." Digital communication was an unavoidable resource in the world they lived in, and even given the risks of the Masquerade they would be amiss to not use the resources available in their nightly life. We can't live in the past, we have to forge ahead. He looks to Edward, gauging his interest. "Though I'll admit my digital expertise is mostly databases and spreadsheets."

PRP Stats: In Minisheet

6. Likes liked this post

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

The game was petering out, looking to settle into an endgame neither of them had the capacity to convert, and so Edward made it complicated.
    3 successes

It wasn't a trap so much as playing a move that made it hard on both of them. If Conner rose to the challenge then he would win, if not, Edward would take the win.
    Final roll

He smiles at the recognition, and then considered the proposal. "There have certainly been more than a couple occasions in which a method of secure central communication would have eased matters significantly. A private forum, for instance. I easily envision the equal application of the concept to the digital storage of secret and sensitive documents."

There would be steps to take, of course. Perhaps a starting run with only Domain officials? With admin control to the Prince, whitelisted IPs, large locally stored passwords alongside shorter unstored passwords to be entered at the time of entry, and detailed traffic logs, it would be as secure as any other method of storage and communication. Maybe even more so.

The general problem with such proposals was the biggest security flaw: users. Even worse than normal users, Elders tended to have zero understanding of Cybersecurity OpSec, let alone any understanding of computers. That could be handled case by case, and Edward wasn't about to assume Alessandra, Twist, or Jacque lacked in any skill.

"Many details to consider." Edward smiled apologetically, realizing he had briefly spaced out. "I feel somewhat abashed to have never thought of it myself. You've helped me see a few obvious ideas tonight before which I had been blind to, thank you, Mr. Wells."

Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

Conner surveys the board, reviewing his options...

2 successes

It's not until after he takes his hand off of the piece that he realizes he's played right into Edward's hands. The Beast squeals in indignant rage at being outsmarted, but the Man is content to watch events play out. After all, this was only a game. And I've gotten more than I came here for.

"Definitely! Hard copy items can be lost, destroyed, stolen; but backup copies, especially for important investigation data, could be valuable."
    One of the downsides of the Lancea's stringent hold to tradition was their lack of proficiency with tech. Unlike the Christian Bible, which benefitted with countless digital copies across multiple platforms, the Testament of Longinus was strictly kept in physical copies painstakingly cared for. His own copy had been basically his baby since his initiation.

Edward's compliment is a welcome surprise, though it's accepted with a Bestial undercurrent of disdain. Of course he wouldn't THTNK of such a thing. How would such a creature who challenges a Priscus in broad daylight THINK. But Conner nods graciously, content to let courtesy win out over pride. "Perhaps not so much 'obvious' as 'unlooked for'. I think I may suffer from the opposite of your own foible: I think too far ahead for my reason to catch up to my ambitions." Conner was many things; but above all he could recognize his mistakes. And maybe Edward could too.

As the game draws to a close, Conner looks around and sees the night begin to draw to a close. He rises from his chair, and extends a long overdue hand to Edward.
    "Thank you for your time Mr. Heinrich, and thanks for the game. I will keep your efforts in my prayers, and I look forward to more of these discussions." Us screw-ups have to stick together, I suppose.

Edward wins by 1 suxx!

PRP Stats: In Minisheet

9. Likes liked this post

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

"A, no doubt, more accurate characterization." Edward agrees and wonders how one was to know what they have not yet looked for.

He rises with Conner, pleased to see the Shadow was now willing to shake his hand. Edward grips his opponents hand with soft even pressure, "of course, Mr. Wells, and I join you in the sentiments. Be well." And then drops the hand back to his side. Edward returns the pieces to just after the pawn break, and began to think about an approach superior to caution.

Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

With the game completed, and the denizens of Court beginning to go their separate ways, Conner departs for the staircase to Nox proper. The night is still young, and the Shadow has much to think on.

Thanks for the great scene!

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
Closed Thread