Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
(2108) Three's company ?

Aug 1, 2021 : (2108) Formal Court
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
    Helen Kingsley
    Helen Kingsley Scenes

Blush / Food consumption, 

NOS
    PRE

Helen observes those who enter after her as well as those who bunch up in a group. But this, as well as the exchange of recognition formalities is sorta swept to the wayside when the Prince arrives. The dress strikes her as somewhat extravagant, but that's undoubtedly the intention behind it, even when not necessarily taking her own, more... conservative appraoch into account. Still, without much further ado, she postpones those reflections, as the presence of the Prince demands the appropriate token of respect due to that particular kindred's position. Thus, she curtsies long and deep as is due and expected in the way she's been instructed to when she first got here. As they enter, the Iudex and Seneshal are also afforded their due.

Interestingly enough, the man who played a role in the parting ruckus in the last court appears. She's not too sure what to make of some of the stuff he's carrying. It seems like he really has a bone to pick with Jennifer, at least according to the little stuff he does and the one he doesn't do... She still wonders what he's up to when he approaches and addresses her. Well, this might get interesting indeed.

"Helen Kingsley, Mr Heinrich."

Not that she expects him to be overly surprised she knows who he is. Or anyone, really. She shortly gets distracted by Bellemy's arrival.

"Sure, Miss Salem."

Her hands disappear behind her back as she focuses back on Edward and looks straight up into his eyes to make up the 4 inches of height difference between the two of them.

"You see, people who openly disrespect the head of my family and then expect me to react like that didn't happen ? I don't like those. Or, if you think about the Position of Priscus in a domain like this, perhaps it is worthy of the respect due to someone who is afforded the powers they have been granted by the Prince, regardless of what you think of the particular person holding the title ? I mean, that's the way I learned it way back."

She lets that sink in a little and puts some extra sugar into her voice, just for him. Perhaps it not only gives him an in, but maybe it makes the upcoming decision a little more more palatable.

"First case, this meeting is over. Second case, feel free to join me. I'd say the decision on whether you're intruding or not is yours."

Nosferatu Curse: The vibe that that shadow is not doing as a shadow does as soon as you're not looking directly at it.

2. Likes , , liked this post

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Daeva Vice: Wrath
    Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

Continued from (2108) Formal Court...

After the respects paid came to their conclusion, his attention turned to Helen, who faced him directly without games, an approach he repaid with his full attention.

"I find myself in a difficult position, Ms. Kingsley." Edward began, "I do not wish to feign ignorance, but I equally loathe to make assumptions regarding the contents of your mind. I will err on the side of assumption and beg your forgiveness if it is in error."

"If you reference my lack of respect paid upon entering tonight, then I would ask you to not confuse a lack of respect with disrespect. The two are not interchangable, and I regard the semantic difference as significant."

"This distinction is important in light of a mistake on your part. Within this Domain, the title of Priscus is not awarded by the Prince, but an internal decision arising from each clan. It is curious to me that you were unaware of this point, but then, you have only been present a handful of months."

"As the decision is therefore made by the Nosferatu, an assortment of whom I have no opinion on, the judgement I arrive upon is my own."

"To answer your question then, it is in the second case." Although Edward did wonder if she would accept that.

In the meantime, the entirely reasonable excuse of first answering Helen had expired, and it was now time to greet the third.
    "Good evening, Ms. Salem. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Their initial interaction so far had been only posturing. To counteract that, he chooses something honest and positive to add.
    "My compliments on your attire. It is a true shame that such stimulating forms of self-expression are only seldom employed. I find myself especially refreshed given that one is accustomed to witnessing it from the Daeva. Would you please tell us a story of its creation?"

"Assuming, of course,"
    Edward turned back to Helen with a small smile, "Ms. Kingsley found my answer acceptable?"

Helen Kingsley
    Helen Kingsley Scenes

NOS
    PRE

She had almost forgotten he's also one of these guys. Well, if nothing else, he fits right in.

"No mistake, Mr Heinrich." she corrects him. "I'm perfectly aware what a Priscus is and how the position works. I guess where we don't agree is whether the powers granted by the Prince to each Priscus come with a sense of acknowledgement and acclaim worthy of respect in itself. Call it status, call it rank, whatever. I think it does, you seem to think otherwise. I don't agree with the sentiment, but I'll accept the answer."

Nosferatu Curse: The vibe that that shadow is not doing as a shadow does as soon as you're not looking directly at it.

5. Likes , liked this post

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

"I apologize for assuming error, and thank you for your open-mindedness, Ms. Kingsley."

Edward gave Bellemy a quick glance. Her extended silence didn't seem directed at him, given that she also wasn't answering Helen, so he paid it no mind.

"I am curious as to your opinion on a philosophic matter if you would be so kind as to indulge me, Ms. Kingsley. The question is to the relative supremacy of appearance versus substance."

Helen seemed to have opinions on this sort of thing, and Edward was interested in listening to her.

"I ask as you seem to believe, to paraphrase your words, that power is intrinsically worthy of respect. At a personal minimum, I hesitate to equate a lack of power with a lack of respect. It would seem to do so would be to reduce us to mere apes, forced to operate within the undignified rule of the strong. What is your view?"

Bellemy Salem
    Presence
    (Dreadful)
    Fame
    (Author (Pen Name))
    Contact
    (Street)
    Contact
    (News Media)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Bellemy

Nosferatu Curse:

Phisically deformed head and mouth with shark-like teeth and a grotesquly emaciated body, too long nails and a palpable aura of inappropriateness.

FAME
    NOS
    PRE

Bellemy eyed Edward as he approached. Once it became clear that the nosferatu was his intended destination the haunt offered a respectful nod to him.

Bellemy's mouth opened to offer a greeting but was silenced by Helen's terse words. The haunt's gaze moved toward Helen, hoping the shocked look was concealed.

Quickly Bellemy turned to Edward, mouth forming words of comfort in an attempt to smooth over the brusk interaction. Again the haunt's mouth clamped shut, this time at Edward's retort. He was measured and obviously well versed in courtly etiquette. With a smile words began to form.

And were snatched away by the breeze of Helen's words. Bellemy glanced side eyed at Helen hoping beyond reason that the fellow haunt would take a moment to collect herself.

Of course Edward parried the verbal thrust with the grace of an experienced fencer again scoring a metaphorical point against the honor of the Nospharatu.

It was all too much and so Bellemy finally found a chance to speak. "Mr. Heinrich, It is so very nice to make your acquaintance, your reputation precedes." Bellemy gave a small curtsy as required by the forms of old etiquette of the Kine gentry. Bellemy would not dishonor the family by apologizing for Helen but did attempt to lessen further damage.

"I am sure you have a reason for your opinions, although Miss Kingsley is quite right, our Pricus is beloved to us as a whole and it is hard to fathom why one might think differently. Perhaps in the future you may find space in your heart for possible reconciliation? It is hard to change an opinion, it is true, but given enough time, all things are possible."

Bellemy took up Edward's change of topic to Bellemy's style. "I thank you sir, it does indeed take effort to look this good." the haunt laughed and leaned in, with a conspiratorial look about the room Bellemy mock whispers "It's a disguise but you mustn't tell.."

Bellemy looked at Helen and waited, Edward had asked an interesting question and the nosferatu was interested in the answer.

Apologies for my tardiness due to another bad work week.

Curse: See Minisheet

8. Likes , liked this post
    Helen Kingsley
    Helen Kingsley Scenes

NOS
    PRE

Helen frowns as she ponders Edward's words.

"Power demands respect and enforces it as well. Intrinsically, if you will. What I'm getting at is that there is that split between personalized power, although power often is too strong a word for that, and institutionalized power. Basically the level of respect and status someone gets from two sources: Who they are, as in record and personality, and what they do, as in position, job or rank, if you want to call it that. The extremes would be that guy everyone likes and respects, but who has no formal pull over his peers whatsoever on the one side and the dumb idiot who has fallen up the ladder so many times nobody dares to tell him what they truly think about him to his face. I'm pretty sure you know some people from the job back in the living days. Most people do. My point is, these two sides of the coin influence each other to a degree, but they don't cancel each other out.

The way I look at it, each Priscus carris a special responsibility towards their family and the domain as a whole. To be able to deal with those responsibilities and as a sign that the Prince acknowledges that whoever fills the position is a cut above the rest of the rank and file, each Priscus holds powers that carry the authority that comes from the responsibilities of the office itself, as given to the Priscii by the Prince as per the domain laws, while also signalling the support the institution of the position itself is being granted by the Prince.

Which is why, in a more informal setting, I wouldn't have said anything at all, because that's just private stuff between two people, none of which is me. But in here right now, personal feeling towards a person don't play too much of a role, really. Because regardless of that, not respecting a formal position of importance for the domain said person might hold is not a personal insult. It formally and openly denies the notion that said person is anywhere above the rest in responsibilities, formal authority and standing. This formal denial, Mr Heinrich, and I know Im being old-fashioned about this, is disrespect, in my opinion."

Her posture normalizes a little more as she carries on speaking, still, she keeps her eyes on Edward.

"Once we allow petty grievances and..." She doesn't say anything while looking for a word considered inoffensive in the place. Most that come to mind aren't, so it takes a little. "... other stuff to break whatever machinery we have envisioned to keep ourselves organized and in check to function as a society ? That is what reduces us to mere apes,forced to operate within the undignified rule of the strong."

10. Likes , , liked this post

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

Edward gave a short bow in response to Bellamy's curtsy, all while repressing a chagrinned look. My reputation, indeed.

When her words came, they came as a small shock to Edward. Here was a woman whose disquieting presence required no Beast, and whose lips came such gentle and eloquent words. How jarring.

He smiled sadly, "I fear that both Priscus Hazelton and I have tried to bridge the gap on several occasions. Each in our own way. Undesirable as it is, I cannot help but believe we are doomed to clash."

And what else was he supposed to do other than strike back? Reach out for reconciliation after Jennifer attempted to humiliate him in front of the entire court just last month? Was he supposed to roll over, belly up, begging for forgiveness, pleading like some beaten dog? I think not.

Edward gave a short and good-natured laugh at Belemy's joke, "your secret is safe with me, Ms. Salem."

And then Helen's answer, long and thorough. He appreciated both qualities and laughed softly at her reversal. "Touché, Ms. Kingsley. It would seem there are many methods of being reduced to mere animals."

Helen broke power into different conceptual pieces than Edward. One of them might be wrong, or even both, but the only thing that was certain was their difference.

"Even upon first listen, I sense there is a wisdom to your position. I shall mull it over at length."
    Difference, even when wrong, could be useful.

12. Likes liked this post
    Helen Kingsley
    Helen Kingsley Scenes

NOS
    PRE

"Of course, where'd the fun be if there was only one tested and true way for it ? Dead or not, people are way too inventive to let that happen."

She smirks. Trust people to come up with problems no matter of the solution at hand. It has always worked and always will.

"Well, there's always at least one person who thinks so, or else, nobody would hold that particular position after a solid smack to the head. The question is what to do with that wisdom, isn't it ?"

14. Likes , liked this post

Bellemy Salem
    Presence
    (Dreadful)
    Fame
    (Author (Pen Name))
    Contact
    (Street)
    Contact
    (News Media)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Bellemy

Nosferatu Curse:

Phisically deformed head and mouth with shark-like teeth and a grotesquly emaciated body, too long nails and a palpable aura of inappropriateness.

FAME
    NOS
    PRE

Bellemy nodded amicably to Edward. "Alas I shall, none the less, hold a candle of hope that things may change between you." Bellemy maintained a pleasant demeanor throughout the various exchanges.

The haunt listened to Helen's impassioned explanation with interest and gave a small nod of approval. Points scored, well done cousin. Now if we can just focus your fire, you would be a rival to be reckoned with. Now let's see if we might lighten the mood.

Bellemy looked back to Edward. "So Mr. Heinrich, Ms, Kingsley and I would be most appreciated if you would honour us with your insight. Have you heard anything juicy lately? the more scandalous the better. I admit I am hungry for distraction."

Curse: See Minisheet

16. Likes liked this post

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

The fun? Edward didn't see it as fun; he saw it as being painfully caught between the values of others while struggling to remain faithful to his own. It was not 'fun' to be kicked from the Invictus because he refused to violate his oath. It was not 'fun' waiting for the subsequent childish escalation coming from their dearly beloved Priscus.

But that was unlife, and it was already clear he had misjudged matters again. "Indeed." Edward smiled politely in the face of the gratingly smug rhetorical questions exiting from Helen's smirking face.

He nodded, Bellemy's aspiration was a good one, even if hopeless. At her invitation to gossip, Edward smiled apologetically. "I fear I must leave you two to that particular discussion, Ms. Salem. The hour grows late, and I have some distance to travel before the Daysleep."

"I wish you both an excellent remainder of your evening." Edward gave a short bow and left to the main court.

Closed Thread