THREADID
    Seneschal, Lady Notary, Priscus of the Nosferatu
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise
    Jennifer Hazelton Scenes

Blush, imbibe, 

Jennifer Hazelton Scenes

Blush, imbibe, 

NOS
    PRE

PM Scene:
    Date: May 22nd
    Location: Jennifer's Haven: It’s a middle-class neighborhood: the houses are too run-down to be a bland suburbia, but it’s quiet and clean.
    "Hello, Priscus Durant," She greets. "Please come in."
    Jennifer is wearing a new 1890's pin of green and gold, featuring pearls. The design is of a sprig of leaves. She wears a business suit in her Clan color of green, tailored to her 5'7'' form. Black silk scarf has been elaborately pinned to hide the left side of her neck and quite a bit of shoulder.
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/298574650305893326/

The home appears to be well furnished. It is furnished in light honey wood tones and subtle light blues and greens. There is a dining room in sight, a long wooden table spread with some different books.
    Jennifer leads the way into the main room off of the entry way. There is a window with heavy black out curtains are drawn, concealing the outside. Two small electric lights are set in end tables in the corner of the room, providing just enough light. The sitting area is composed of a leather love seat against the window. Facing the love seat are a pair of dark blue arm chairs in birch veneer. A low coffee table squats in the center, complete with a small zen sand box and a table top book on Botany: Roses.
    There is a gift box on the table, wrapped with a blue silk ribbon. It is a jewelry size box.
    Jennifer gestures to the seating arrangements.
    "I am glad that we could make this time to meet with one another. Two scholars such as ourselves likely have a great deal in common. Quite a bit of difference in our interests, as well, I am sure. Make yourself comfortable." She suggests, her Curse causing her voice to slither like a serpent. Jennifer takes a seat in one of the arm chairs. She waits for Quinn to make herself comfortable.
    The Nosferatu reaches a hand out and gently moves the gift box into Priscus Durant's side of the coffee table.
    "I realized I had neglected to give you a gift to signify your new role. I must rectify this." She says pleasantly. She expects that Quinn is well aware of the Invictus gifts due to the intriguing information Quinn had shared about the coterie she had spent time in. Upon opening the box, Quinn finds a tanzanite and sterling silver bracelet. There is a card of a local jeweler and a personal number written on the back in case any adjustments need to be made for the fit.

“Good evening Lady Notary Hazelton.” Quinn said softly stepping in, and of course she did the most natural thing. Looked around. Nosey Mehket, was nosey. She couldn’t help it. She noted the door she came through, but any others she could see, and of course windows could be emergency exits should Quinn and her Ladyship be attacked here. Goddamn Jackal made her so paranoid at this point she was considering security steps she usually didn’t like much. Like cameras in her own house.

Quinn was dressed in smart business casual, thankful to be out of court, but not wanting to insult a Kindred of Quality either by showing up looking like a hobo. She wore her hair loose and flat ironed out straight, with a white women’s dress shirt with a stylish French cuff, and charcoal style form fitting ankle length dress pants with a pair of black pointy toe flats.
    https://i.imgur.com/HaWNCDE.jpg

“Thank you!” She said sincerely with a warm smile, and took the seat across from her, folding one leg over the other. “You have a lovely home. I like the colors. Soothing. The woods and the greens and blues are very complimentary to a relaxing feeling in the space.”
    She made it a point to share what she thought was good about it instead of a generic compliment.
    She looked genuinely surprised, but pleased by the gift, gingerly taking it up and opening it in front of her Ladyship. It was beautiful, and the tanzanite and silver went very well with almost anything. Hell she could put it on now.
    “Oh, your Ladyship it's beautiful. Thank you! It’s been so long since I have been given a gift like this, and you know what is curious? The last gift I got was from a Kindred named Janos, who is also your family.”

“I am pleased that you like the gift.” Jennifer replied. “I think I may have fallen in love with that stone. The fact that it can be various colors and looks so perfect in many settings. You deserve it, Priscus Durant. You inherited a mess. He’s likely cast a pallor over the Mekhet family in a few Kindred’s minds.”
    "Thank you." Jennifer glances around the room, as though trying to see it with fresh eyes. Quinn had noticed the video camera facing down on the front door. There was a second panning over the driveway in front of the house. A third could be seen looking down at the stoop to the kitchen door. There were small little devices in the corners of the windows that Quinn likely recognized as motion sensing devices.

"It isn't my ideal Haven. Yet I have been pulled in a few directions of late, that I have put off working towards that ideal."

The choice in address was noted. Quinn had been sprinkling little breadcrumbs in her conversations. Even when she was speaking with someone else, Jennifer had made a note of it. The Mekhet’s Invictus education was on display, and Jennifer wasn’t shy.
    She smiled as she heard the address, remarking: “You’ll have your hands full if you try teaching proper etiquette to your Ordul Cousins. I have to say, while I find it refreshing: it is intriguing.”
    A look to Quinn’s eyes, her dark eyes calm and steady.
    “My cousin in another city pleases me with his thoughtfulness. Too many don’t look closely enough at some members of the Nosferatu to see their many gifts. I trust you have considered what I proposed in my letter to you?”

Quinn smiled and nodded. "Yes, Janos is one of a kind. I owe much of my education to him." She nodded a bit. "He had his work cut out for him with me. It wasn't always gifts and rose petals between us, but he taught me a lot. One thing he didn't get around to teaching me was how to intimidate people. He never saw me in that light. Just a baby bird he had to protect, and he always assumed I would stay with him so he always could." She paused and spread her hands. "So here I am. Getting to know you better. I trusted him, I trust his clan."

She sat back a bit and watched Jennifer a moment. "Let me see if I have grasped your situation. You have learned the rudimentary bits of using the beast to tell you about the strength and state of another Kindred, and how to read the aura. You know enough to scrape by on it, even have some success, but the real mysteries behind what you are reading are still just that to you: a mystery. You want the full education that you are certain I have, since I have been so forthcoming of my strengths and weaknesses."
    Quinn watched Jennifer then. A patient smile on her full lips.

"Horatio did create a miasma. I do believe that you were doing well, and then the Court happened.” Jennifer replied.
    “Can you detail a bit about why you want to learn? A little context for how you want to be able to use this?
    I am pleased that we have an agreement. Personally, I am going to confide in you. My mentor taught me a bit, and I had some experience in reading auras.
    I was Torpored during an investigation, where I had to kill a criminal. I came back a bit mentally scarred and it took a minute to realize something had actually been forgotten down in that hell of Torpor. I appreciate your direction. I have been carefully practicing determining the nature of those I encounter. What is something you recommend to gaining a full knowledge?
    "You are certainly in a difficult position. Maeve has an observant mind and a clever tongue. I think she's going to do well, with a little seasoning. Does she have the wisdom to see what she lacks?
    Conner, I admit, I find him green. Yet he could become quite a kindred if he heeds your guidance. He has the aggressive nature of the beast, and he can learn to become smooth. Or subtle.
    I never was very successful in life in regards to romance. A brief first love with a charming girl. A few months with a handsome, but narcissistic, boy. I became a scholar, choosing academics over social obligation early.
    It was the Court that intrigued me to learn politics. I wanted to be respected."

An honest admission. Truthful, which was her way.

" I've been noticing how you sprinkle breadcrumbs in conversation. I remember what you stated about your experience in a coterie. I'm intrigued, and would like to know more.
    Yet I respect your choice, and won't try to lure you away. I won't try to steal secrets of your covenant."

A stated promise.
    "What are you testing for?"

"It's very beautiful. I concur on the stone choice. Tanzanite is a wonder. I will wear it at my earliest opportunity." She assured her with a friendly smile. Quinn's face turned attentive as she listened to her past experiences with Auspex, and then Horatio. Ugh. It was like the fart that got permanently recirculated into the air. "His departure really just was...the best thing that ever happened to the Mehket, and the worst all at the same time. Trying to clean up his mess is like whip lash. I never know when its gunna come around and cause me pain again."

"Invictus manners I am afraid would take longer than I have to turn those two around, but a little quick and dirty so they can survive is doable. Although Conner's uh...attempt at flirting was more in line with how Kine males behave. The idea of trying to teach him how to flirt feels problematic but doable I suppose. A history lesson to Edwardian social moors serve him well in court. I'm afraid flirting was never my specialty, even when I was Kine I struggled with it. I'm not really the type to make the first move I'm afraid. When it is an unwanted pass, I ignore it completely, or simply pretend I assume it was trying to be 'polite' and acknowledge the time and care I put into my appearance."

She paused and noted her struggles and successes. "It can be used effectively as a screening tool for Amaranth, to classify threats, but you have to be careful to not make to many assumptions on the aura and truth. It's usually where most Kindred screw up. The first level of Auspex is fairly easy and straight forward, but reading auras is truly a task that takes shape with a subject over time to discern the true meaning of their baseline emotional state, versus situational, and stressful states of being." She nodded to Jennifer in agreement. "We are in accord."
    Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Good, I am glad that you like the stone." Jennifer was pleased. She enjoyed looking for the correct precious gemstones for the Florentine code. The Family Mekhet had such a good color scheme. She was already thinking of another set that could go along...

"In time, he will fade from memory. Already we have fresh, new faces who do not know him." Several from her Family. "I admit, I didn't watch much of the flirting. I was hoping my new arrivals could get out on a good foot with you and Dirt Nap." She wasn't certain if Helen had appreciated that. Although one couldn't remain part of the wallpaper and be useful, unless they had laid the groundwork and were watching the right Kindred...
    "Assumptions on the aura and truth? Can you elaborate? For example, if I am watching with an open mind when someone answers, to see if they are evasive or deceptive. I tend to watch my Family closely when questioning new arrivals to see if I can spot deceptions."

Jennifer considered their baseline emotional state and how it could change from situational states of being. Or stressful states of being. Although she imagined for some, being questioned by a Priscus could be a stressful state of being.
    "So would you advise observing someone before they are stressed to establish a baseline?"

That also suggested meeting outside of Elysium.

"I can detail as to why I want to learn. It's occurred to me that I focus to much on meeting the needs of others, and I always have been of the mind that if I meet those needs it builds loyalty. Recently however, I am beginning to see no matter what you do for some people, how far you go, some people just want to burn the world. They look at you as nothing more than someone to use as a stepping stool. They cut you down to use you to try to climb up. Like a barrel of freshly caught crabs.

I want a secret weapon that no one would think I have the ability of. A kind of ...'oh shit' handle should I have to actually cow someone. I'm afraid my education was to make me, pleasing. Underestimated. Beautiful, but not to forceful. Scary, or intimidating. Not so much."

Quinn winced at the tale visibly. "I am sorry to hear that. I will help you regain what you have lost. You are trustworthy and you and I have the same loyalty to the domain.
    I appreciate that. I could see us being loyal friends. I wish to build this with you."

"One of the most important things to remember with Auspex is that you are only seeing a candid snapshot of a moment. A fleeting moment at that, unless you try to dig deeper to watch the aura shift and change. Otherwise it only provides the most present emotion at the time. Think about it? Do you feel you know the whole circumstances of something because you saw a polaroid? Of course not. It's like studying a foreign language. You take in bits of the aura overtime as you are understanding a subject, before it becomes fluent and you have a feel for the language. Then you are able to read it, and eventually write it."

"Maeve is set on burning me down, and then she's going to start on the rest of you.
    I am sure you recall her high praise? In the Mehket meeting we had she said the exact opposite about everyone in the court. Then later said that I wanted her to behave to make myself look good. Everything out of her mouth was a lie, your Ladyship. She stabbed me in the back twice, and then already with Conner. If I had enough martial knowledge, I would kill her for her treachery against her own blood, and turn myself in to her Grace. I am done with her, and if you know what's best for yourself, watch your back. As for Connor...Conner will heed my advice, but I fear Maeve using Conner's natural weaknesses against him."

Quinn smiled and nodded. "I Have been hearing rumors about how this is an Invictus Domain. I wanted to see if those who have such ....thoughts, have any idea what any of that means. So I drop words, and sayings...little bits here and there to see if any of these ignorant haters recognize anything. They don't know shit. It's all a bullshit party line response. It makes me wonder if its sheer ignorance or something more malignant. So I test, I watch, and I wait. I won't have some ignorant uncultured swine weaken our court with their filthy lies."

She practically hissed that last out.

Jennifer considered this for a moment, thinking of Quinn's education.
    "I can see being annoyed that you were not taught what you seek. I know I wish that I had been allowed to mature a few more years, alive. One's mental acuity could be much more desirable. Yet so many Kindred seem to want young looking childer." She shook her head in annoyance.
    "My Sire was a bit skewed in perception. He told me that the other clans either fear our strength, or our Blood Gift." She gave a thin smile. "So he taught me both schools. Yet it took me awhile to work out from the chip on his shoulder towards Covenants. Its amazing how the Kindred around us during our education shape us."
    "I am glad that you see me as someone loyal. I do think loyalty should be rewarded." She paused, considering the words Quinn had used. "I think you and I could be good friends."
    Jennifer considered what Quinn says about Auspex. She considers the snapshot of the moment. That seemed to gel with what she remembered learning years ago.

"This is intriguing. I will have to do some experimenting to learn it properly. So if I am studying to try and get an emotional range of someone based on their expressions, and I use Auspex, I might have more information. Yet I will never see the entire circumstance. I do think this could be intriguing."
    Jennifer paused, considering.

"Maeve and you got along, I presumed. Yet she gave you high praise in front of the others, and then said the exact opposite?" Jennifer frowned. "You want her to behave to look good? Has she not been in a Domain with a strong Prince? The Prince can just smack her down and put her in a closet. I really wouldn't push her Grace.
    Her Grace has been very generous with her bi - partisan outlook, allowing all Covenants. Yet she won't suffer fools.
    I am so annoyed by how people claim this is an Invictus Domain. They want to whine that the Invictus clings to its power and is irrevelant- yet if their way is so much better, why are they still whining on the outside?" Jennifer posed. "I don't understand staying Unaligned for a great deal of time. A proper length to learn about the different avenues, of course.
    Yet just criticizing and not changing anything?" She shakes her head.

"Has this tactic yielded any liars?" She inquired, curious.

"They want young childer because right now youth and beauty are so prized in Kine society. Trends have changed, and our elders struggle to keep up with it. I feel fortunate I was able to complete my degree and have some years under my belt before I was chosen by the Kindred." She nodded in agreement. "I tell you one thing. I wish I had known this was going to be my existence, and I damn sure would have lost a couple of dress sizes first. I feel like the chubby kid at the prom!"

"I had a unique education. I feel more at home with Mehket usually, but also with the Nosferatu. I spent most of my time with those two clans, and the Gangrel. The Daeva and the Ventrue kept to themselves mostly in my last domain. So it was a little weird, I guess. I always got the sense that the Ventrue resented my sire, and myself by extension because he took the right to rule so to speak, by force. That's not really something that Mehket are known for. I was never good enough for the Daeva I guess. Not pretty enough, or fashionable enough, or interested in the same things they were. I am a bit of a nerd."

"If you want to see more, you have to dig in with more effort, to the point where as you are interacting with the subject of your scrutiny you see it undulate and change. Literally shift colors before your eyes as the emotional state change moment to moment. It takes a lot of practice, and I highly encourage you to keep a journal. I actually encourage pastels, painting, or drawing if you have the ability to do so. I want to test that theory and see if a visual representation over time is more insightful than just writing it all down and journaling my findings. Or at the very least, mark down your findings with the colors in the correct ink, or a little visual representation."

"We did get along, until suddenly she missed two informal courts, and then a formal. I met with her privately before that very public rebuke in informal court. She told me that she didn't feel like showing up. Part of which was due to being drained a bit of blood. I could mentally understand that. I don't like being around other Kindred hungry, so I accepted the excuse, and helped her find a way back. Even made time for a frivolous evening with her, only to have her fuck up Conner's first impression in court with her utter nonsense as soon as she got her acknowledgement back. In the Mehket meeting I held she literally called you all idiots and pointed out Seneschal Jack specifically as being 'insecure' because he corrected Mable on not showing him the proper respect he is due for his station in court. I explained that we are Kindred, and solitary predators, to not answer a slight, no matter how small, is to invite attacks and disrespect from all. Or more bold measures. It was then I realized just how two faced she actually is. She will tell you whatever you want to hear with vague promises or excuses and the moment your back is turned bury the knife in it. Fuck her. She's hurting her own family, what do you think she would do to the rest of you if given half the chance?" She raised an eyebrow with a sour look on her face.

"The Invictus is the only thing at times that has the power to steer the Masquerade when things have gone to hell. I've seen it first hand. There was a breach during the siege portion of my sire rising to the heights of Viscount. I could not believe what it took to contain it all. It was incredible, and the one who perpetuated it did it to try to throw Abel and the coterie off, to buy time. It didn't work, obviously, but the fact some little shit would pull something so drastic just goes to show you how far Kindred will go to hold onto power. Even though their Prince was not well liked. It was the age old tale of 'the devil you know...'"

"Agreed. Being unaligned is all well and good if you are simply feeling the landscape out in a domain, but making it a goddamn destination is just appalling. I pointed this out to Maeve, but she simply said she didn't want anyone else telling her what to do. A flippant and bullshit answer, just like the rest of her."

"Not liars, but certainly shows their complete ignorance. If they don't even know some basic terms or anything else, then how can I take anything they say seriously? I just intend to watch very very closely to make sure those false assumptions and party line gossip doesn't blossom to anything more. The irony is that those idiots wouldn't last five minutes in an actual Invictus domain."

3. Likes liked this post
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise
    Jennifer Hazelton Scenes

Blush, imbibe, 

Jennifer Hazelton Scenes

Blush, imbibe, 

NOS
    PRE

"We share that we were able to complete our degree. I trained as a White Hat." Jennifer shared.
    The times changing were very true. She had been Embraced to teach her Sire computer skills for the Nosferatu Family. He had quickly abandoned learning the skills himself and set her up to assist the Nosferatu with her computer skills.
    Jennifer nodded in agreement, stating. "Yes, keeping up to date is important. I am able to do that with my computer education. I wouldn't give a second thought to dress sizes. I certainly do not, Priscus Durant. Your mind is much more valuable."

Jennifer considered seeing more with the Blood Gift of the Mekhet. She was going to have to spend some time in study to excell at this.
    "I feel comfortable with the Daeva that I have met through the Invictus. A few have been very friendly." Although she still remembered the Daeva who had remarked ' I hope the prince doesn't give her a public voice' Vapid whore, was Jennifer's opinion of that one. She hadn't found that out until months after the fact... and Jennifer had reported to the Mekhet, Lady Micha Chappelle, in St. Louis.

"Although one Daeva in particular seems to think he's more important than he is." A disdainful sniff. "Have you seen the games Mr. Heinrich has been playing?"

Although she couldn't share the chief complain between her and Edward -- the willful ignorance of the Blood Oaths.

Jennifer frowned a bit as she considered what Quinn has shared regarding Maeve. "She said what about Seneschal Jack?" Her Cursed tone was ice cold. Her face tightened into displeasure.
    "Insecure?"

Jennifer heard the rest of what Quinn said, but her focus on what someone had said about her ally. What would she do to the rest of you of given the chance?
    Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

5. Likes pisces liked this post

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn nodded her head in agreement. "I was taught the same." Initially. Quinn's mischievous nature however had its own way in how she developed. Even in college she'd run the most successful gambling ring in the whole place. They always suspected Gage, never her. "I am pleased to hear you say that. I'm afraid I've grown sensitive of those types of things being the eternal new kid on the block, matching my sire's luggage." It was a colorful way to convey that she was hazed constantly due to the traveling nature of her sire's function in the Invictus.

Quinn smirked ever so slightly at Jennifer's mention of Edward. She nodded a bit, and then looked thoughtful. "I believe he is reeling from his change of circumstances, your Ladyship. To be amongst the unaligned after being apart of the Invictus I imagine is quite an adjustment to make. Judging by his actions and slights towards you, I imagine he somehow blames you. I have been trying to keep him occupied with other things. Sometimes simply re-directing energies is enough for some Kindred, though I admit, he is quite mercurial." Of course she knew about the blood oath, but that was a dangerous piece of information to have outside of the Invictus. Even one so friendly to the Invictus as Quinn.

Quinn nodded emphatically to her news about what was said behind the Seneschal's back, compared to the glowing praise in public. "I was taken aback myself. I tried to educate, but I do not believe she heard me. I respect the Seneschal, but I fear in sticking up for him I may have lost her." She sighed slightly, and warning beep on her cell phone made her jump. "Oh my gosh! Look at the time. It's an hour until dawn, your Ladyship. I regrettably must say goodnight to you."

Thank you for such a wonderful scene! I am ready to close as discussed!

7. Likes liked this post
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Jennifer Hazelton Scenes

Blush, imbibe, 

Jennifer Hazelton Scenes

Blush, imbibe, 

NOS
    PRE

QuoteQuote:
    Judging by his actions and slights towards you, I imagine he somehow blames you.
    "Just like a child." Jennifer responds. "I've given him time to correct his course. He tries to remark he thinks Ms. Woods is worthy of more respect than I, he won't be pleased with the correction. After all, he did say you were a shining light. Yet that Ms. Woods and yourself ought to both be recognized."
    Mable Wood was pleasant, yet she was not a Priscus.
    Honestly, she had been nice. Just as she was held to the Oath she swore.

"Thank you for your honesty. I have been of the mind to meet with her and help her to learn. Although this must be corrected." Jennifer glanced to the wall clock.
    "Of course. It was lovely to catch up. Shall we meet next week to begin your own training?" Jennifer suggested.
    "Good evening, Priscus Durant."

9. Likes pisces liked this post
Closed Thread