Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Summer's Respite

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Jun 20, 2021 : (2106) Summer Solstice
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Giant
    (7 feet tall; not fond of low ceilings)
    Strength
    (Lean but well-muscled)
    Spring Mantle
    (+1 to Pres/Day)
    Liam Gelt
    Mien/Mantle

Mien: Liam's skin is hardened into a bark-like armor with pine cone-like ridges throughout. His hair is made of pine needles that act a bit like a hedgehog's quills; standing up when agitated or smooth when calm. His eyes are a deep amber and his tears appear to have the consistency of sap until they leave his face.

Mantle: The scent of pine sap in a close radius, his needle-like hair ripples occasionally as if tugged by a light breeze.
    Combat Stats

Def: 2 (Dex/Wits)
    Armor: 0/0
    Initiative: 5
    Speed: 12 (w/ Fleet of Foot)

Ogre Seeming Bonus
    -Add Glam to Str pools (1 per Glam)

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Gargantuan

Liam sets up just next to the eating contest being manned by Circe. With a swiftness and experience that defied his size and oddly proportioned limbs he unloaded several stacks of plastic cups and napkins for use. Then the cooler was opened, filled mainly with ice but also several canned beers, iced tea, and as luck would have it, whiskey and cider.
    2 successes

This came almost as easy to the Ogre as feats of strength; within moments Liam has a glass of whiskey mixed with the sweet sharpness of apple cider ready to go, on the rocks if needed.
    He hands the drink to James Turner with a satisfied grin. ​"So, long time no see. How's life been treatin' ya?"
    Hedge Patrol V: (Fast Reflexes 1 via Pledge)

Mantle (Autumn)
    (Shadows, heat and ringing metal)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK
    A shorter, barrel chested man with a thick beard.

MEIN
    A 'dwarf' with burned, scorched, and scarred skin.

PRE

Smith

Anatole moves away from the wall; the aura of his Mantle stretches the shadows as he does. He moves over to where Liam Gelt and James Turner have established themselves.

"What drinking options are there?"

He flashed a grin as he joined them.

"Good to see you both. I'm glad there is someone else who doesn't feel the need for fun and games."

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Mantle - Chilling breeze, summoning tiny leaves
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The Dread Lord makes his way with an easy elegance over to what might, generously, be considered the non-combatant's table. "Gentlemen," he greets the group with a broad smile. "So good to see you all. I take it you are the, ah, ones less interested in the festivities of the day?" He looks around, keeping half an ear on the conversations that drift around like his own whispers.

He glances up at the Giant man, who still had close to a foot on Rhodes' own six two. "Liam, wasn't it? How have you been settling in? And Anatole? Your work going well, I trust?" A glance to John as well. "As yourself, of course, Lord Winter. All ready for the new semester?"
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

John Campbell
    New Identity
    (John Campbell)
    Rigid Mask
    Trained Observer
    Composure
    (Placid)
    Perfect Stillness
    James Turner

Mien
    Skin pulled back tight against his frame and a ghostly white, eyes and mouth sucking and empty pits that appear to be without end. His shadow a deep black that seems to be driving the body instead of the other way around.

PRE

Whisperwisp

James had walked up and taken the drink from the Giant and took a sip, letting out a satisfied sip after the glass left his lips. “It’s good, not too strong or too weak which is nice.” He couldn’t help but chuckle at Anatole’s words though, a smile playing across his lips as Rhodes echoed the sentiment. “It’s clever and well executed I’ll say that. If I’d been dressed more appropriately, I’d maybe practice my knife skills, but yea, competition and I haven’t ever been good company. I was picked last usually if I was ever picked at all.” No sadness to the statement, it was so long ago and in another life that it was as-if someone else had lived it, because they were now.

“It’s not my season, John is fine, please. I’ve been busier than usual, trying to cram in as many classes in the abbreviated summer semester as I’m allowed. Though I do have news about the Market.” He said with a nod to Anatole as the only other one there that had been there. They had enough problems on there plate as it stood, he could let this particular dog lie for now.

Continued from (2106) Summer Solstice...

Goes by the name: John

5. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Giant
    Strength
    (Lean but well-muscled)
    Spring Mantle
    (+1 to Pres/Day)
    Liam Gelt
    Mien/Mantle

Mien: Liam's skin is hardened into a bark-like armor with pine cone-like ridges throughout. His hair is made of pine needles that act a bit like a hedgehog's quills; standing up when agitated or smooth when calm. His eyes are a deep amber and his tears appear to have the consistency of sap until they leave his face.

Mantle: The scent of pine sap in a close radius, his needle-like hair ripples occasionally as if tugged by a light breeze.
    Combat Stats

Ogre Seeming Bonus

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Gargantuan

The Giant nods in approval at James' praise for his efforts. "Glad to hear it!" He certainly took pride in making things as much as breaking them, especially if they made people happy.
    He offers a friendly wave to Rhodes and Anatole as they
    approach. "Good to see you folks! The more the merrier. I've been holding up pretty well, thanks Rhodes. Sera's done a good job of making me feel right at home." He remembered what Sonnie had said about Rhodes and Sera being close; he certainly looked the part of a kingly courtier. Maybe there was a softer side that she brought out in him? Liam wasn't so much a romantic as he was an observer.
    To Anatole he gestures across the table, outlaying the contents. "Didn't have time for too many fancy items, but there's beer and liquor if you want something straight or mixed. There's also lemonade and iced tea if you want something non-alcoholic." Or if they wanted one of his personal favorites: the Arnold Palmer. He stands at the ready to whip up whatever drink requests the Autumn King and the Burned Dwarf have in mind. And this talk of Markets? What was that about?

Mantle (Autumn)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK

MEIN

PRE

Smith

"Oh ho! Hard liquor sounds good to me!"

Anatole chuckled and attempted several lack lustre poses with his walking stick.

"I have been working well, Dread Lord. Well. Market? What of the market?"

At James Turner mention of the Spider Market, the burned dwarf's entire posture shifted. The Onyx had the Ashen Courtier's interest right away.

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Mantle - Chilling breeze, summoning tiny leaves
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

"I'm sure someone will be needed to cut the cake," the Autumn quipped to John.

The Dread Lord smiled, watching Liam intently with those deep green eyes. "Yes..." he drew out the word deeply. "She has a natural talent of that." The icy wind of his mantle whistled coldly around for some yards. Something about thinking about that suddenly had the Dread Lord looking over his shoulder at the entrance, and into the dark corners.

Fear took you in weird times. Taking a slow breath he waved a hand towards the whiskey. "I'll take a scotch as well Older the better, a Islay... no, a Speyside if you have it." It settled the nerves.

"Good, good," he nodded approvingly. "Any plans for what you intent to turn all this hard work into?" Th Dwarf had been rather reticent to discuss anything further, though he could understand caution better than most.
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

9. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post

John Campbell
    New Identity
    (John Campbell)
    Rigid Mask
    Trained Observer
    Composure
    (Placid)
    Perfect Stillness
    James Turner

Mien
    Skin pulled back tight against his frame and a ghostly white, eyes and mouth sucking and empty pits that appear to be without end. His shadow a deep black that seems to be driving the body instead of the other way around.

PRE

Whisperwisp

"Touche, but I think I'd have to avoid a lot crossfire to get to it." He chuckled briefly and finished it off with another satisfied sip. Though the talk of scotch made him remember that he could order something other than his usual. Raising his glass in agreement with Rhodes at Liam's compliment, finishing another sip for the toast he raised a brow at Anatole and quickly shook his head.

"No new news, I just hadn't told anyone what we'd saw there. Figured this was as appropriate on occasion as any. Anyway, Market seems to be a sort of Caste system broken down to buyers, sellers, both, and slave. At the top of that Caste sits the head of the Market Lady Ambrosia. Be careful as you enter, the bands bind you to an agreement while within the market. None of us were brave enough t osee if we could get out without buying anything but if you broke the agreement, it takes a price." John made a chopping motion at his wrist holding the drink. "The rules aren't explicit, they say it's common sense. Unsurprisingly I neither trust or like it." Another drink as he boiled it down to the two points of distinction he saw and stood out.

News have been delivered he took another drink fading to the back again as Rhodes and Anatole spoke business. He turned to Liam, feeling his heart race as he had to push back the anxiety to say something. "So Bartender, Library on Goblin Fruits if my quick recollection is right? Any other interesting talents?"

Goes by the name: John

Giant
    Strength
    (Lean but well-muscled)
    Spring Mantle
    (+1 to Pres/Day)
    Liam Gelt
    Mien/Mantle

Combat Stats

Ogre Seeming Bonus

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Gargantuan

It just so happened that Liam had remembered Islay scotch, though it'd almost put him over budget. "Coming right up!"
    1 success

Liam takes a bit more care in preparation of this drink, perhaps because of who he's making it for. After a moment he hands Rhodes a glass of Islay scotch. "Here you go, Sir." ​The title was less of a formality and more of him slipping into his customer service persona. He was certainly relieved he could accommodate Rhodes' request.

He was about to suggest a drink for Anatole, but the Dwarves' attention seems raptly drawn to James' talk of the Market. He himself was drawn in by James' description of cursed bracelets and Market Ladies and the tiers of authority. The storybookishness of it all was so enticing. If only the Hedge were truly like the stories; with more happy endings.

James mentions his Archive, and Liam's face lights up.
    "Oh yeah! I've got that and records on Hedge-Beasts in my Hollow. It's a long story, but I found this seed that grew into a big tree, and the tree tells me stuff about Fruits or Beasts that I want to know." Not that his Archive was the best conversation partner. It was fairly stern and to the point. "Interesting talents?" ​Liam wracks his Ogreish brain for other fantastical things associated with him. "Well, I tend to have a Goblin Fruit or two I can find for myself. Those tend to be pretty useful. And I've been working on some Contracts to let me bend weather and nature to me, if I want to." Thankfully he hadn't needed to use those yet. "But mostly I'm good with moving things." He takes a brief moment to flex a branchlike arm. ​"You need pretty much any solid thing pushed or hurled, I'm your guy."

He pauses, suddenly a bit self conscious about being so bold around the Winter King, even if he was off-duty. "I'm kind of figuring out a bunch of ways to help out wherever I'm needed. That's what Springs are for, right?"

12. Likes liked this post
    Mantle (Autumn)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK

MEIN

PRE

Smith

"Lets say I am formulating a scheme to turn money into bricks-and-mortar. The seed is there now. Working on some options."

Anatole gave the Dread Lord a smug, cat-like grin. The wizened grunted at the Onyx Sovereign's recap - and again at the information he had not been able to discover himself.

"Ah yes. So that is how it is set up. I can attest. I have witnessed the effect of the Pledges that hold in that Market. Very draconian. Very swift."

He shot the Dread Lord a glance.

"There is a solid Market for Contracts there... And also mounts, if such things are required. But if you intend to visit, most definitely take some manner of trade goods with you. You'll need it. They will accept your own Glamour, too, but with... caveats."

He directed his gaze to the Onyx once more.

"Willing to share anything on this Lady Ambrosia character?"

14. Likes liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread