(John Campbell)
    Rigid Mask
    Trained Observer
    Composure
    (Placid)
    Perfect Stillness
    James Turner

Mien
    Skin pulled back tight against his frame and a ghostly white, eyes and mouth sucking and empty pits that appear to be without end. His shadow a deep black that seems to be driving the body instead of the other way around.

PRE

Whisperwisp

John had thought he'd known himself well but the last few seasons had taught him that there was holes in his knowledge there as well. Images he'd seen so clearly, memories remembered so vividly all seemed murky and suspect now. "Pokers good, I don't often get invited to poker nights." A small shrug of his shoulders knowing it was a mixed bag of why he didn't.

He smiled though as they at least seemed politely interested in attending a meeting. Exposure was always good, hopefully it lead to a deeper understanding. Listening as Rhodes with a careful ease segued the example into a teaching moment, John admired the careful ease there wondering how the Dread Lord did it. Then as he walked into the center of the room John's eyes flitted about the room wondering what to expect.

Then the environment seems to blow away like leaves on the wind, John didn't know what he was expecting but it hadn't been this at all. His feet shifting unconsciously maintaining a balance that wasn't needed in dream. John was working toward being able to do those things himself, furthering his ties with Dreams. It always felt like the more he knew the more new mistakes he learned he could make. Though as the topic turn to Oneiromachy John's eyes moved to his hand, he could feel the Dream pull and tug but not find purchase. So close.

"Since our confrontation with the Jolly Green Giant I've been practicing in that regard." He'd felt so helpless in that encounter, after his sneak attack he couldn't do anything but watch it take out Rhodes and then had to stand right there and wait for the same fate. He could still feel the lump in his throat even as his dream self's breath drifted in the air. He gave a deep nod to Cassandra, he always admired that determination in her. It pushed him to go that little bit further.

Goes by the name: John

2. Likes liked this post

Cassandra Moore
    Presence
    (Charismatic)
    Striking Looks
    (Radiant)
    Intelligence
    (Keen)
    Kith Blessing
    (Prismatic Heart)
    Status
    (Entertainment)
    Cassandra Reeding

Eyes like cut, polished emeralds, waist-length scarlet hair, and glowing prismatic skin that seems to react to her emotional state, however what they mean is anyone's guess.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Wyrd
    •••
    Polychromatic Artist

The scene of the dream changes turning into a beautiful, naturey winterland scene. There is a tug in her to want to explore and play with the snow, but she recognizes by the shifts that it isn't quite right. Yes, this is a dream. A very vivid one at that.

She listens once more, her eyes occasionally flitting to the surroundings and then he asks her to try to make a change. Fear floods her and her body tenses. It took her a significant amount of energy to just be able to grasp onto the base of the dream. How would she make a change to it? Or what if she tore it open and make it collapse? That would be worse.

"I-I'll do my best." She glances at John for a moment in a kind looking of mental support kind of way. What kind of addition or subtraction did she want to make? She gazes at the snowman that Rhodes had just created and she focuses, thinking about the dreamer this time. When someone makes a snowman, they think about a face and body of twigs, rocks, and a carrot. So upon that snowman it goes, the eyes and mouth now forged by rocks, a carrot for a nose, and twigs for the arms.

Make a change - 1 Success"

Finally, she succeeds something on the first try, just barely. She could feel it barely take like a brief, small spark starting a fire at the end. It makes her smile faintly, trying not to smile too heavily at success. She wonders if she could have made a slightly bigger change. That takes that happy spark of success diminish just a little bit. Just barely a success. She looks at Rhodes once more for his reaction and notes he'll give.

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Mantle - Chilling breeze, summoning tiny leaves
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.
    Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The thought of a round of cards was ear-marked for the future. Always good to get to know people.

He nodded acknowledgement of John's practice. "Perhaps you could show me, if you wish. Some other time."

Rhodes watched as the conversation grew still. The glances between the Winters were noted, but not raised. There was clearly an association there beyond simple acquaintance, that much was clear, but also unsurprising. They shared a Court, a way of thinking. Despite being the teacher, he was also marginally an outsider in a way.

Something about Cassandra radiated fear, however. He knew what to look for. Twitching. Pupils. Stammering. The tiniest of signs. Still, she reached out and changed the dream, faster than before.

"Good," he said simply. "The more you practice, the easier it will come." Reaching up to one of the branches, he snapped off an icicle. "Remember, dreams are all in the mind... and so the true limit is the imagination."

Then he flicks his wrist towards the snowman.

3 successes

The icicle lances out like a knife, straight into the head of the Snowman.

"The same is true of fighting in the dream. Fighting here does not rely on mere strength, though skill and training can be used just the same. However, force of persona or intelligence are just as clear weapons, as is one's connection to their fae nature." He continues as if nothing had happened, turning to look at them both after a calculating and satisfied look at the throw. "One's survivability is linked to their fortitude more than their physical health. And... just as one can fight with regular skills, we can turn the simple tweakings of the dream - a different skill, but a learnable one never the less - into weapons, turning the very dream itself against those we might face..."

6 successes

The Dread Lord spins on a dime and lashes out his hands in a wide arc. The Snow roars away in an avalanche, shattering the ices of the river and obliterating not only the snowman but the bank of snow on the far side, the scream of the winds whipping around him.

Within a few seconds, the calm returns, though now a fan of cleared snow and shattered ice forms a clear arc with Rhodes at the apex. The chunks of ice bob and sink. A smirk draws across his features.

"Everything here is a weapon, if so employed. It is a dangerous place, where we are simultaneously at some of our strongest potential and most vulnerable. Great good..." he tilts one hand like a scale, "... great evil. Employed one way, excellent for intelligence-gathering, teaching, healing. For another, threatening, intrusive.... vengeful."

The Dread Lord spreads his arms wide, leering at Cassandra. "Now.... attack!" he barks, voice ringing through the cold air.

This is more about seeing Cassandra be able to perform an attack - Rhodes is going full defense (which would be 8 with armour of 2). Feel free to roll and any success will mean the attack was at least on target
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

5. Likes liked this post

John Campbell
    New Identity
    (John Campbell)
    Rigid Mask
    Trained Observer
    Composure
    (Placid)
    Perfect Stillness
    James Turner

Mien
    Skin pulled back tight against his frame and a ghostly white, eyes and mouth sucking and empty pits that appear to be without end. His shadow a deep black that seems to be driving the body instead of the other way around.

PRE

Whisperwisp

John nodded his agreement with Rhodes, he wasn't done with the work yet. There was still a lot he didn't know, not really. Tools to utilize, more familiarize himself with. "Anytime you'd like." As Cassandra began to focus and their eyes met John just gave her a reassuring nod as he took a breath. He had thought about helping her but this was her test. He couldn't help the smile as she succeeded and also how she succeeded enjoying the touch.

It seemed Rhodes hadn't been idle in his downtime either. His skill even more impressive than the last time. Hopefully there didn't need to be another confrontation with It but if there was he liked their odds more this time around. A small smile on his face as he couldn't help but enjoy the artistry that went into the snowman's annihilation.

His attention returned to Cassandra though his body turned so he could see the both of them wanting to wait and see what happened and which avenue Cassandra would choose. He remembered Sonnie surprising him during the first lesson. She had taught him a few valuable lessons that day. "Don't forget, it's easier if you incorporate the themes and elements already in the dream to attack."

Cassandra Moore
    Presence
    (Charismatic)
    Striking Looks
    (Radiant)
    Intelligence
    (Keen)
    Kith Blessing
    (Prismatic Heart)
    Status
    (Entertainment)
    Cassandra Reeding

Eyes like cut, polished emeralds, waist-length scarlet hair, and glowing prismatic skin that seems to react to her emotional state, however what they mean is anyone's guess.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Wyrd
    •••
    Polychromatic Artist

She watches Rhodes destroy the Snowman they created twice over and her emerald eyes are slightly wide, knowing to expect that she will need to do the same. Breathe.

The true limit is the imagination. She holds onto those words. Then John speaks, reminding her of the environment. When she thinks about it, this is the environment she feels most comfortable in. It rings with her Season. It rings with the beginning and end of her Durance. It makes her want to challenge herself all the more.

Gimme a bow? - 1 Success

The Artist gets crafty and reaches down, swiping the ground and pulling up a short bow and an arrow made of ice as if it had always been there. She rushes sideways, putting just enough distance between them for a clear aim.

Nock. Draw. Aim. Loose. Cassandra nocks her arrow, drawing back, her eyes locking on her target before letting her arrow loose. They say the easiest way is through motions you are familiar with, right? She feels like she read that somewhere. So she goes with it, choosing to do something she's been working on as muscle memory.

Let loose - 1 Success

Her target is not Rhodes, but rather the tree behind him. Never aim at a target you aren't intending to kill. She could have created blunted arrows, but she hadn't thought quickly enough to do it, so into the tree it goes. Keeping a defensive posture, she watches and waits, ready to move again if she must.

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.
    Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The reactions are simple enough to read - they are impressed.

As well they should be.

It was even better than he had planned. Now they had a demonstration of power - still not at his full potential - that they would carry with them. Just a small reminder of what he could do hear - and so, everywhere - was a seed of Fear.

He gestured a hand towards John, offering a single nod in agreement of his comment. This stuff was old hat to the Winter King - having him here was useful in it's own way. It helped Rhodes keep his standards high.

Emerald eyes returned to the Winter Thane as she bent the dream with another smooth form, bringing her bow from the essence, and loosing an arrow, clearly not at him, but behind. He heard the thud into the tree, and smiled. Clearly this was a talent she possessed in the mortal world. "Do you see? As simple as the real thing. Even easier, perhaps, as the potency of our fae nature adds to our movement and actions." He walked towards her slowly. "Now you know how it feels, you can put them all together. This is a dream. You do not need to make a bow to have a bow. The power of the mind. Observe."

Rhodes rolled up his sleeves, showing the black roots working the war up his wiry forearms, and flicked an empty hand towards the tree Cassandra had just shot.

1 success

As his hand outstretched, a dagger coalesced into existence, spinning after the arrow and thudding into the same tree.

"One single, fluid motion. A derivative of the actions we use in reality. Controlling the environment is a forceful derivative of the manipulations of the environment."

He smiled at the Winters before him. "Perhaps we should leave it there for today. This class has involved slightly more theory than my previous ones - though that was at a time dream protection was more pressing, and I think you appreciate that approach a little more, hmm? A little tailoring to the times, to the student." Of course she did. The Dread Lord felt he had a reasonable handle on the Winter Thane, just as he felt she did on him. It was what made the dance. Rhodes' eyes moved from Cassandra to John. "I realize a lot of this is the same for you, John. Hopefully there was still something insightful you could gain. And as I say, we can always spend another session together on some more advanced work."

The horizon of the clear sky begins to turn fuzzy.

"Do you have any final questions for the moment? If you think of anything, I am only a call away, and I would be happy to run another session. Or perhaps some practice within the Winter Court would be helpful? Anything to ensure a general competence."
    The fae-like gaze moved from one of the winters to the other.

We need to get this wrapped up in the next day or two, so we should do closing things. I hope you both had fun!
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

9. Likes , liked this post

John Campbell
    New Identity
    (John Campbell)
    Rigid Mask
    Trained Observer
    Composure
    (Placid)
    Perfect Stillness
    James Turner

Mien

PRE

Whisperwisp

John smiled and returned the Dread Lord's nod that smile growing as Cassandra's shot struck true and then the Dread Lord demonstrated the lack of need for a weapon. "I think your staff might be the exception to that rule. I'm close to being able to do that myself. Maybe I'll stick with a knife? I don't know." He hadn't really thought about it. It had always felt so close but the knowledge the bargain kept slipping through his grasp.

"It was quite a different experience and reminding me that I need to take time to keep an eye for prophesy. I've just been focused on defense for so long." He gave a tired half smile and a knowing look to Rhodes. It was nice to get the more technical aspects of the dream but he knew that was more for Cassandra, seemed more her learning style. Putting the pieces together once Rhodes had brought it up.

He shook his head, not having any more questions himself. "Your time and knowledge is always welcome and appreciated. We'll do our best and stay on the look out. I've been trying to think of ways to more easily practice Oneiromachy I have an idea but haven't tested it yet."

It was wonderful as always, thanks for the scene!

11. Likes Xadun, liked this post

Cassandra Moore
    Presence
    (Charismatic)
    Striking Looks
    (Radiant)
    Intelligence
    (Keen)
    Kith Blessing
    (Prismatic Heart)
    Status
    (Entertainment)
    Cassandra Reeding

+1
    SL
    PRE

Wyrd
    •••
    Polychromatic Artist

Cassandra lets out a slow breath, setting her bow by her side, listening. Rhodes pulls out the dagger, showing her that she could have just pulled one from the dream without the shift. A little disheartening, but practice is practice. Another reminder that her limit is her own imagination. She nods, smiling that at least it had worked.

"I will remember that." Cassandra is not the improvisational artist. Not really. She's an intellectual and categorizing items is the way things make sense, in little boxes. She'll need to learn to break out of them, but she's not quite there yet. She may never be in truth, not fully.

She wasn't entirely done, ready to just keep going, but she does recognize the need to pause and process. If she keeps going, much like with her bow, she'll wear herself out. Even now, she can almost feel the ache of the muscles of her arms.

She notes Rhodes' mention of the difference between this session and the previous one he had done. More theory than on defense. Did she take up too much time with her questions? Was it that she had to work too hard at first to- rabbit hole. Can't go down the rabbit hole of those questions.

A smile to John. She knew this was all review for him. She almost feels bad in that sense, but she knows he also knew that he was walking in on something she knows next to nothing on how to do. Well now she's a little versed. Just a little bit. She did hope he got more out of it than she imagines he did.

"You know me, offer me the chance to learn something and I'm already first on the list. I definitely need more practice first, however. I'll take time and process." It will be better that way. She needs the basics perfect before moving onto something more advanced. It's just how she is.

When he mentions in court practicing, she realizes she hadn't even considered asking John to mentor her at all. Perhaps at some point. Differing perspectives can be good for the learning process. "Certainly something to consider." It reminds her of how she's taught students before, practicing with a partner because having that extra voice, when done right, can cause quicker and more effective growth. You'd think it would be intuitive, but music can be quite solitary.

"I don't have any questions that I can think of for the moment. As I said, I'll process and practice and see where it goes from there. Thank you, Rhodes, I appreciate you taking the time to teach." And now she's curious what John's idea is. She'll have to ask him later.

Thanks for the scene! Lots of fun and look forward to future ones.

13. Likes , Xadun liked this post
    Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mantle

Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The Dread Lord smiled again. "Ah, yes. I didn't bring that up because it was solely suited to combat... but the contracts of Dreams can enhance the potency of weapons, just as I used them to totally reshape the entire dream with ease. Should anyone wish to learn those talents, I can impart what I know." Eyebrows raise slightly at John's 'idea'. "Really? I would be curious to see it. Oneiromachy is an art fully to itself - practice does take one far, but occasionally you need to face actual opponents."

"Splendid."
    Rhodes nods, apparently satisfied. "One piece of advice - Dream manipulation is curious in that the theory of dreams themselves offers little in the practical skill of actually changing them. I suppose they are akin to... weaponry or fighting, in that regard. "Pointy end goes in the other guy" is the theory, but hand-eye coordination, strength, and so on are the skills used. One can be excellent without a sound grasp of the theory, or can be a skilled interpreter without being able to change even the simplest aspects. But as with all skills, raw talent is only honed by practice. I don't need to explain that one to you, I'm sure."

He nods and Cassandra looks back to John in thought. "Oh, certainly. Autumns have a certain reputation, after all. Some people prefer to see things from a, ah, more familiar face. As long as the message gets out. And John is certainly no novice as an oneiromancer in his own right - I'm sure he would be willing to provide guidance." He flashes the Winter King a smile.

The Dream is turning to mist from the horizons inwards, the amount of tangible land slowly shrinking around the trio.

"Yes.... well. I had hoped we would have more attendees, but I run such things from time to time. Next time we may wish to focus on more.... advanced things, or a practical run perhaps. We shall see."

The fog began to reach where the dreamers were stood.

"See you on the other side."

Thank you both! closing up now.

15. Likes liked this post
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
Closed Thread