Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(2106) The Prince and The Lord

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Jun 1, 2021 : (2106) Eternal Court
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

What was that about avoiding the attentions and appetites of larger predators? Well, the largest of them all is headed in Milton's direction.

At the Prince's approach, his Beast coils tight in fear; a snake trying to protect itself. The sensation is akin to choking or drowning. He has to remind himself that he no longer breaths. He summons all of his willpower and manages to avoid fleeing before her.

And then she's speaking to him. But why? What could she want with him? What did I do to deserve this?

To cover his discomfort, Milton bows stiffly. "Good evening, Your Grace," he replies once he's straightened. "I'm doing very well. Very busy, but that is my way. You honor me by asking. And yourself?"

Piano? Interested? What? Oh.

"I am no musician, Your Grace." A rueful smile. "But I do enjoy handicrafts. Models and woodworking, mostly. Small things. When I have the time, of course." Which is rare enough.

"But I like to think there's more than enough time to expand my skills and work on larger pieces. Furniture and the like. Eventually."
    It might take years, decades, centuries, but Milton plans on hanging around.

His eyes take in the marvelous instrument before them. "I was just admiring the craftsmanship. This is a machine that produces beautiful music. But it is also beautifully made." He glances at her for a moment and tries not to flinch. She is beautiful, in a terrifying sort of way. His eyes return to the Steinway.
    Health: Vitae: WP: BP: 1

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)
    First thing you will notice about Ale is the abundance of her tattoos. They go from her face all the way to her feet, and not much is left bare. The second thing? Her strong Italian accent.

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes
      ExitScene

-2 Vitae for Blush of Life and Drink, 

+1
    SL
    PRE

It was always amusing to her to watch how different Kindred reacted to her approaching and speaking with them. Some handled it better than others. How would Milton do?

A smile, “Being busy is better than being idle with nothing to do. Makes the night go by terribly slow.” That was the truth. “Oh I cannot complain, busy as well.” But as was to be expected.

“Models and woodworking? Like the cars, and airplanes models?” seek clarification. “Afraid it wasn’t a craft I was able to master myself. But it seems like an interesting hobby to have.” He might be interested in her butterflies. “If you decide to expand your skills, let me know, I would enjoy seeing some of your work.”

An affectionate look was offered to the piano, “Yes, some of the finest. Made in Hamburg from the ground up. Hard-rock maple wood, making it project the sound, but not distort it.” Very important when playing. “It’s been a journey getting used to playing again, but also very rewarding.” A little about herself.

“How has Sacramento been treating you?”
    Alessandra Antinori │BP 6│Strong Italian Accent

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

She smiles and, intellectually, Milton knows it's a good thing. The Beast however? Well, it perceives the gesture in line with its origins: a display of teeth, an intimidation tactic prior to attack. The Lord will not give in to his baser nature, though. He must continue to remind himself: This is an opportunity.

"Oh, indeed. Quite right, Your Grace. I find that industry keeps us whole, as it were. Especially us. Among the Kindred, idleness can be dangerous, as I'm sure you have witnessed time and again." He wonders what Maeve does to fill her nights. Other than dying her hair. At least Quinn seems to keep herself busy. He does not ask after what occupies the Prince, not wanting to pry. He imagines she has many concerns, most of them bloody...

"I have dabbled in cars and airplanes, Your Grace. Guilty as charged. But currently, I am fascinated with boats. Miniature models to scale. Lately, I have been working on a Greek Bireme, an ancient long boat with both sails and oars. It's a lovely piece, I..." He stops himself, looking abashed. "My apologies, Your Grace. I do go on. It is a very interesting pursuit, as you say. And relaxing. A lovely way to put the hands at the service of the mind, and vice versa. Much like playing music, I imagine." His eyes sweep the length of the piano. It is a wonderful thing. "In a few centuries, I am sure to have something worthy of you. When I do, I'll make you a gift." He offers her a smile. It is a little tight with fear, but genuine.

Maple? Intriguing. As Alessandra describes the instrument, it's clear that Milton's unremarkable, but very keen, eyes are cataloguing the details. "Imagine it, having the knowledge, and the skill, to construct something that must look and sound perfect. A necessary balance of aesthetic and functional features. Simply remarkable," he speaks softly, voice full of wonder, almost as if musing to himself. Then: "That does sound rewarding, Your Grace. How long had it been, since you last played?" Perhaps she will date herself. Milton does not have a clue how old Alessandra might be.

"Sacramento has been very welcoming, thank you for asking. Those who dwell in your domain are upstanding specimens of our kind." Most of them anyhow. "And my concerns among the Kine are expanding by the day. Business, if you do not mind me saying, is very good, Your Grace." Will she care about his business dealings? Who knows. But the Prince has asked and so her subject answers.

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)
    First thing you will notice about Ale is the abundance of her tattoos. They go from her face all the way to her feet, and not much is left bare. The second thing? Her strong Italian accent.

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes
      ExitScene

+1
    SL
    PRE

A soft chuckle, “Oh yes, witnessed too many times to count.” And saying how many gives away too much. “Though I am always interested to hear how others spend their evenings, what they have come up with to pass the years. Real-estate is a favorite of mine.” Not giving anything away, she had many investment properties.

“Can’t say I’m familiar with those.” Then as he speaks about it, she appears interested. A laugh and shake of her head, “Please, feel free. It’s not something I know a lot about, so hearing about it is quite interesting. But I understand what you are saying, I’m sure there are those that find my hobbies uninteresting to hear about.” A shrug, “But I find myself eager to hear about things I don’t know anything about.” But that could just be her. “That’s very generous of you, I’ll look forward to it.” But that was speaking of the future, one that was never guaranteed.

A simple nod, “It is truly remarkable. Though to sound perfect it requires a patient hand and a trained ear. Which is sadly a dying art, with so many going to digital tuners and what not.” A shake of her head, “Really sad.” She had honed her own skill over centuries. “Played for an audience?” she asks, looking at the piano, “Well, giving away that knowledge would age me, and a woman never tells her true age.” A softer smile, “But lets just say I was classically trained as a child. But over the years, and not having a quality instrument, my skills went unused. But I did play it the other night, I’ve been in the process of retraining myself so to speak.” It was a long process.

“That is always nice to hear. Though I’m sure there have been those who would argue with your assessment.” Humor in her voice. “As to business being good? Well, that is always the goal. Business going poorly would mean there was something wrong somewhere. Not acceptable in my opinion. I’ve always strived to be as successful in my business dealings as possible.” Failure, was never an option.

5. Likes Endymion liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Alessandra laughs. Actually laughs. And not at him. Milton is confused by the sound for a moment. Not sure how to react. Why would the Prince of the domain, apex predator and Blood Sovereign of Sacramento, laugh at something he's said? Is she toying with him? Just keep talking you idiot. And so he does.

"Real estate is a very wise investment, Your Grace. Especially given our...longevity. The years come and go, times change, but land remains. The market at present is quite robust. Even if there are dips, you will easily be able to wait them out." A thoughtful pause. "Just as attractive is the ability to...insulate those assets. It's quite easy to mask one's ownership of real estate behind land trusts and other entities, as I'm sure you know." Another pause, "Are you buying residential? Retail?" His questions are friendly, not probing. He's just making conversation, one investor to another.

She wants to hear about Biremes? Well, she's the first in Milton's experience. "You're too kind. Not many people, kine or kindred, are curious about ancient maritime vessels." He smiles, looking impressed at her interest. "You have my word, if you ever wish to discuss the origins and evolution of the Bireme at length, I will be at your service."

Milton can't imagine that anyone would openly dismiss the Prince's hobbies. That would be suicide. Luckily, Milton is a wonderful listener. "I, for one, could discuss the construction of pianos and real estate strategies all night, so you can always count on my interest." He's not lying. "Are there any other pursuits that engage your time, Your Grace?" Hearing about Alessandra's hobbies is actually helping Milton humanize this terrifying and stunning creature. He'd expected a cold, unfeeling predator. Not a pianist with a real estate portfolio.

"Many of the old ways are disappearing," Milton agrees. "It is a deplorable state of affairs." Words his mother would have spoken. A woman attached, fanatically, to tradition. Long dead now, but still working her will through her undead son it would seem. "Luckily, we persist. Perhaps, in some small way, we can keep them from fading entirely."

Milton chuckles at her quip about women and their age. Does that still count when the woman in question is, potentially, immortal? "I meant no offense, Your Grace. I am a curious sort. It can get me into trouble if I am not careful." He offers her a smile that's almost playful. "I am happy to hear that you've rediscovered this passion, though. I hope, some night, to hear you play."

Business talk? Now they've landed firmly in Milton's wheelhouse. "Quite right, Your Grace. I made the move to your domain because I had many interests in the state. And where better than the capitol to develop them? Since arriving, I've continued consulting with a variety of biotech start-ups and investment firms. Internal audits and strategic planning mostly. But the most surprising area of growth has been in the public sector. I am making significant inroads. I may need to start a small firm to handle the business if growth continues."

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes
      ExitScene

+1
    SL
    PRE

A nod, “I’ve found it to have many benefits. And the dips are to be expected, the market is always changing, both here and elsewhere.” She had property overseas as well. “I also find it easier to move assets around having property.” It was easier to mask where money came from. “Oh, a little of both actually. I started with residential only, but wanted to expand my portfolio, and picked up a few retail properties along the way. I’m always on the look out for ways to invest.” Legal ways.

She wasn’t surprised. “I find that one can never stop learning. We have the possibility of endless nights,” if one played their cards right, “might as well expand our own knowledge as we go. It’s a topic I know little of, so why not take an evening or two to learn.” Seemed logical to her. “Then we’ll have to set something up soon, I’ll look forward to it.” This was part of her putting herself out there more.

One had to wonder if he was offering such things out of fear, or because he was curious. She knew which way she was leaning on that one, but, time would tell. “I dabble in Lepidopterology, particularly the hobby of pinning butterflies.” It had been her way to relax for years. “Art is another interest; one I’ve been heavily investing in lately.” A while ago, she would have mentioned her guns. But that was different time.

“It certainly is. While it’s been a privilege to see how the world and things have changed and evolved over the years, it’s saddening as well. And sometimes the old ways are the best ways. Finding a balance of embracing the new and preserving the old is a balancing act some times.”
    A smile, “I know you didn’t. And being curious is a healthy thing.” Though it could be dangerous as well. “I hope to polish my skills to what they once were and play at Court one evening.” She did, but it wasn’t going to happen anytime soon. “Rediscovering it has been quite rewarding. I had forgotten how one can get lost in the music.” It had been a great way to relax.

“Sounds like it’s been quite fruitful to move here then. I wish you luck with those. Afraid I don’t know much about biotech and investment firms, so I hope it continues to go well for you. Investing in the public sector is always wise.”

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Milton mirrors the Prince's nod. She knows what she's doing. Or her financial managers do. Same difference, really.

"Your approach is very sound, Your Grace. A mixture of residential and retail properties in various locations effectively insulates you from any unforeseen distortions in the market." Yes, he would have advised her to diversify. Not that she would've asked him.

Is she inviting him to join her in a more intimate setting? Yes, she is. Milton is thrilled. And terrified. Still, the chance to make himself more than another set of fangs in her eyes is invaluable. "The invitation is most welcome, Your Grace. I would love the opportunity to speak with you at greater length. About biremes and whatever else may catch your attention." He extracts a card from his pocket and holds it out for her. "Please, call me at any time. For any reason. I am at your disposal."

Pinning butterflies? How...poetic. Surprises abound when it comes to their Sovereign. Pleasant surprises. "Lepidopterology, you say? How fascinating. I would love to see your collection. If you have a mind to share it, of course. Do you have a favorite specimen?" There's clear enthusiasm in Milton's voice, though it's tempered as always. After all, this is right up Milton's alley. A calm, meditative activity, requiring extreme care and a certain, perverse detachment. Classic Northbridge.

Another nod from Milton. It appears that he and the Prince share the same view concerning change. Fascinating, useful, and yet needlessly destructive of older habits and norms. "I agree, Your Grace. It is a privilege. And I would not disparage the convenience or power of advances in technology. What alarms me, however, is the change of pace: materially, culturally, and mentally. At times, it seems like the world is losing any notion of patience, of the pleasures of waiting. Kine and Kindred alike are afflicted. With the disappearance of those old ways, old notions of time and the enjoyments afforded by its passage are also vanishing." Mr. Northbridge is a slow monster in a fast age, which should be apparent just by looking at him.

A performance by the Prince? How intriguing. Milton imagines a room full of Kindred too afraid to clap. And too afraid not to clap. Stuck, with their hands in the air, waiting for someone else to start the applause. "I look forward to that night," Milton replies. "I will savor the anticipation," he adds, calling back to those 'pleasures of waiting' he'd mentioned earlier.

"Most fruitful, Your Grace. In the end, I'm a money man. An accountant, really. I happen to find myself working in the biotech and financial industries, with a growing interest in the public sector. But, money is money. And I deal with numbers. Luckily, someone will always need an individual who can make their finances behave," he says this last bit with a wry smile.

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes
      ExitScene

+1
    SL
    PRE

A nod, “My father taught me about investment and that it was key in a successful business.” move money around, “I’ve only expanded upon his teachings. I’ve found it was necessary as my business grew.” More money, more properties.

An inked hand reaches out and accepts the card, looking at it briefly before sliding it into a pocket. A dress with pockets was a necessity. “I’ll have Gabriel reach out when I have an opening in my schedule.” It was nice to not have to make calls herself anymore. Not that she didn’t, but the circumstance had to be right.

“I happen to keep a few of my pieces in my office, so perhaps one day you will get to see them.” The others were private, kept away from others. “A favorite? Now that’s a difficult question. One would naturally want to say the emerald swallowtail, their colors simply vibrant and stunning. But I’m more partial to the sylphina angels. Along with a striking blend of colors, their wings are transparent, it’s quite the sight to see.” And there were many different ways to enhance that.

A nod here and there was she listened, “It is quite alarming. While I enjoy the conveniences time and technology have given us, I sometimes long for the simpler days. With everything able to be obtained at the blink of an eye and a key stroke, many have lost what patience means and creates. And from it we get entitled and ungrateful Kine and Kindred. Quite sad really.” And annoying as fuck. “People are losing touch with reality and what it means to actually work and put in effort.” A shrug, “But so go the times. I only hope some are as willing as I am to hold on to the older ways of doing somethings.” Or not. Each time something changed, their world went forward, then back.

Would they really be that eager to hear her play? Or did this fall under always sound excited and interested when the Prince does something? It was so hard to tell. And made her long for easier times.

A light laugh, “It does make the world go around and allow us nights of luxury.” But did it ever make them happy? She was never really sure. Sure, she had more now than ever before, but it didn’t feel different. “And someone has to deal with the numbers, not everyone has a mind for it.” Herself included.

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

His card is accepted and Milton withdraws his hand, happy that it is still attached to his body. At her instruction concerning Gabriel, an assistant Milton assumes, likely a ghoul, he simply bows his head, showing that he understands.

Isn't it odd that even the undead exist under the parental aegis? The Prince herself invokes her father, a mere mortal most likely long dead. Milton's mother (most certainly dead) still haunts his nighttime existence. Perhaps, he muses to himself, we truly become monsters when the stamp of our mortal parentage fades into nonexistence. Milton puts away the thought for further evaluation at a later date, when he is not in the presence of the domain's most dangerous woman, whether the memory of her father lingers or not.

"Despite the time that's passed, the wisdom of our parents still holds true. It says something about those old ways," he replies. "I often think of lessons imparted by my mother." Though hers had largely been negative. Often painful. His mother was not afraid to correct her only son, the last scion of a timeworn name. "As you say, though, it is also necessary to expand on those old ways. We must continue to practice and refine what was passed on to us." Even if the lessons were, and continue to be, painful. "An understanding of work, Your Grace, is what is missing, as you rightly suggest. A passion for, and dedication to, industry. Not simply for renumeration, but for the effort itself." A pause, as if he is considering his next words carefully. When he speaks again, his voice is lower, almost solemn: "I hope, should you ever have a task for me, you will not hesitate to ask, Your Grace. I assure you that I will bend my every resource to whatever you may require."

But the talk is of butterflies and the time for assurances has passed. The suggestion that he might one day be permitted into her office is met with a humble smile. It is her right to invite him or not. But the smile says he would be honored. "Sylphina Angels? A spirit of the air, how appropriate. I wonder how that transparency of the wing is achieved, and for what reason?" He muses. "Camouflage perhaps?" Certain fish also use a similar tactic. Sylphina Angels... Milton commits the name to memory, for later research. "Might I ask, Your Grace: How do acquire your specimens? Given our...limitations and the butterfly's diurnal habits." Yes, Mr. Northbridge is a curious creature.

Her laugh is music to the deathly accountant's ears. "That it does, Your Grace. But most don't understand how these financial systems operate. That's what fascinates me about my work: money is the prime mover of this world, whether we like it or not. To know how to track it, read it, direct or redirect it, make it perform in certain ways or achieve desired ends...It's something like contemporary magic. Close to alchemy." It's clear that Milton's thought a lot about this, odd as it is.

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes
      ExitScene

+1
    SL
    PRE

A nod of understanding, “It certainly does.” Though she didn’t know how ‘old’ he was. But he was either old enough to understand or he was just that smart. “Ah, but money makes the world go ‘round. And money also brings prestige, which to some, means more than effort. Quite disappointing, really. I’ve come a cross it numerous times over the years with my business, men wanting the notoriety of working for me without putting in the time and effort.” Which was why good help was so hard to find these days. “Thank you for the offer, I’ll keep it in mind.” Though he struck her as being more useful behind the scenes, moving resources than the battle field. But everyone had a place.

“I haven’t spent the time to dive into that particular trait. But one would muse it was for camouflage, it would make sense.” She didn’t care for reading too much into each species. “Oh, I’m able to purchase them online. Before then, one would be surprised how easily others can be swayed to provide a few butterflies for a decent amount of money.” But now the internet opened many more avenues up.

“An interesting way to look at it.” She comments, “I understand enough to keep the money flowing in and under the radar. It’s all I need to keep all aspects of my business going. But I have picked up a few tricks over the years, one has to. We need to adapt our habits to best fit where things are going.”

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread