Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
(2105) Autumns under a Tree

May 3, 2021 : (2105) Eternal Seasons
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Mantle (Autumn)
    (Shadows, heat and ringing metal)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK
    A shorter, barrel chested man with a thick beard.

MEIN
    A 'dwarf' with burned, scorched, and scarred skin.
    Anatole Scenes

PRE

Smith

"You go and do your thing. Some other time."

He waved John on with a quick smile and pivoted on one foot as Rhodes drew near.

"By all means. Shall we?"

He gestured to a quiet spot under a well manicured tree at the fringes of the main gathering.
    Rhodes Xadun

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Mantle - Chilling breeze, summoning tiny leaves
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.
    Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The Dread Lord flexes his long fingers, as they Autumns make their way under the tree, coming into bloom.

"A couple of things. Nothing too taxing, I hope," The Dread Lord's easy smile flourishes. "First, I wanted to make sure there was nothing Courtly you wished to discuss. Anything you needed from strictly our side of things, as our last conversation showed you seem to have your mortal side all straightened out. Being halfway from the Season it seems a good time to check in for that nature of things." He had left the Dwarf to his own devices - partly to keep his eyes on his own life, but also because any Autumn worth his salt worked whether they had support or not. It was a test, of sorts, and for the Rhodes the first one was whether they were willing to come to him. Help does not just drop into the laps of those that do nothing.

"Second, following discussions with the other monarchs we have decided to act on what remains of Ann's orchard. Having such a potent supply of Goblin fruit on our doorstep is a poor thing to leave open, and they have agreed to a plan to remove this variable form the equation - a plan for which I would like your assistance." He pauses for effect. "However, this is also a prime opportunity to make another sign for Ann that we are not to be trifled with in a language she understands - namely those of magic and Fear."

He leans back against the tree. "Tell me, have you ever explored the talents of the contracts of Eternal Autumn?"
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

3. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Mantle (Autumn)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK

MEIN
    Anatole Scenes

PRE

Smith

Anatole barked a laugh and knuckled his moustaches.

"Oh I'm fine. Neck deep in mundane things. Assisting with patrols and so forth."

He bowed his head, posture becoming thoughtful.

"Oh good! Good! High time that Orchard went, as we do need to claim our backyard back. Eh... The one thing I haven't done much is delve into the mysteries. For certain, my knowledge has increased. But that has been at the cost of more... esoteric... learnings, if you catch my drift. Contracts are still my weakness - though for certain I am working toward improving my kenning. But my ties to the Court are still only light. I don't possess any of the Courtly contracts. Not yet, anyway."

He added the last sentences a bit more carefully, eyes narrowing.

5. Likes Xadun liked this post
    Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.
    Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The Dread Lord nods. It was good the dwarf was getting involved in things - it meant Autumn did while he did not have to, quite so much. Menial tasks were never his forte, preferring to work smarter, not harder. "Anything worth noting out there? And signs of our past issues?"

The enthusiasm pulls our a more malicious smile from the King. "No matter, no matter. Our minds are so easily lost, and clarity of sight and mind is the first and foremost tool; a worthwhile endeavor as much as any Contract lore. Should you wish to delve into that particular avenue, I will be more than happy to share my learning. But if we execute this correctly, this will be one of the largest demonstrations of Autumn Magic the Freehold will have seen. Direct, elegant. A scalpel cutting out the rotten flesh." He pauses, thinking. "Of course, it would be prudent to keep some of the fruit in a place of our own. Too useful to destroy it all..."

Rhodes looks up at the tree above them. "As you no doubt know, the Courts are tied to the cycle of the seasons as much as they are the elements. Just as Spring brings life and recovery, so too does Autumn have contracts that tie into harvest, decay.... and death." It didn't matter if people overheard, anyone with an iota of understanding of Contracts and a hint of logic could have tied those things together. "I intend to use one of these contracts - with a few small adaptations to ensure a minimal requirement in magical energy, but it requires some legwork on location. Naturally you were my first port of call, but many hands make light work. Carving something into each of the trees is a key component, and the faster we can do this, the faster I can enact the contract. Lookouts, as well, to be sure."
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

Mantle (Autumn)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK

MEIN
    Anatole Scenes

PRE

Smith

The tilt in Anatole's head - and the malicious smile suddenly blooming on his face - gave Rhodes all the information he needed.

"Variations? Locations? That is powerful magic. What do you need of me?"

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mantle

Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The Dread Lord matches the dwarf's malicious smile with one of his own. "Directly? We need to carve my name into every tree in the orchard, to fulfill a catch. Without that, the magical energy would take weeks to gather. Then one by one, I kill the trees. It will take time, but easily doable in a few hours with sharp knives and quick hands."

He gestures idly. "Naturally we take some of the fruit as we progress - I'm sure we can cultivate a little grove in the Hollow somewhere. Of course, if there is still movement there, that brings a different issue, a different challenge. I'm not expecting it, but anticipating such eventuialities keeps the mind sharp, after all."

Rhodes watches the dwarf, trying to gage his reaction.

Mantle (Autumn)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK

MEIN
    Anatole Scenes

PRE

Smith

Anatole... doesn't blink. His eyebrows, however, do wiggle up and down as he processes the information provided.

"Carve your name into every tree, huh? Establishing a mystical connection... Making a claim - if not outright taking ownership. You'll be banking on a big wandfall of Glamour to push that through. And if then, it might cost you in other ways. It always does..."

He paused, bowing his head while he ran thoughtful fingers through his effusive curls.

"I'd ask if this was a stealth operation but I don't think something quite this obvious would work that way. We'd need to go in force and hold that orchard while we - you - make the ritual preparations. I take it you've thought of that angle as well. Who are you bringing?"

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mantle

Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The Dread Lord nods. It was good the dwarf was getting involved in things - it meant Autumn did while he did not have to, quite so much. Menial tasks were never his forte, preferring to work smarter, not harder. "Anything worth noting out there? And signs of our past issues?"

The enthusiasm pulls our a more malicious smile from the King. "No matter, no matter. Our minds are so easily lost, and clarity of sight and mind is the first and foremost tool; a worthwhile endeavor as much as any Contract lore. Should you wish to delve into that particular avenue, I will be more than happy to share my learning. But if we execute this correctly, this will be one of the largest demonstrations of Autumn Magic the Freehold will have seen. Direct, elegant. A scalpel cutting out the rotten flesh." He pauses, thinking. "Of course, it would be prudent to keep some of the fruit in a place of our own. Too useful to destroy it all..."

Rhodes looks up at the tree above them, thinking. "Yes.... well. That is the part of the carving, to mitigate the cost of the magic through, jut as you say, the forging of a connection. But some things are worth paying for." His own changing form was evidence he was willing to pay that price.

Anatole points out something that had never crossed his mind - what if they were still there? He had assumed the orchard would be abandoned following Meg's death, but the Dwarf had highlighted that his belief was merely that, an assumption.

1 success

The Dread Lord nods. "I was thinking to begin at night. More ways of hiding and escaping. If we are fortunate, Ann's minions will have abandoned the lot - if not, a less subtle hand would be needed. Distraction and misdirection. I haven't asked others yet, but I'm sure Circe would love another chance to cause havok in Meg's old grounds, and she has plenty of Summers to bring to bear these days. Naturally, you were my first choice." Whatever his original planning, Rhodes either knew the tools of the Freehold or knew how to bullshit on the fly.

Or both.

Sorry, was entirely unsure how to reply - I had also got it stuck in my head that it would be abandoned!

11. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Mantle (Autumn)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK

MEIN
    Anatole Scenes

PRE

Smith

Anatole locked eyes with the Dread Lord for a moment, his smile dangerous.

"Oh of course. It would be prudent to take some samples from the Orchard. That kind of thing cannot go to waste - and as you've said before we could convert part of the Court Hollow to cultivate what we find. I might add... Cultivating some Hedge Fruit might provide the Freehold with some trade goods. There is a travelling Goblin Market that stops near here and it would be a good idea to have something to bargain with. Glamour can only take you so far, if you know what I mean."

His brows furrowed.

"Eh. How about we go in strength, either way. If it has been abandoned something else might have taken up residency and the Summer's can deal with it while I - or you - make the preparations for the ritual. Or even simply scout out the area. And if Queen Anne still holds it... Well... I'm sure Queen Circe would be happy to take the conflict back to Anne's Domain for us."

Anatole started to laugh but managed to cut off his bark; instead he made a coughing noise and balled his fist before his mouth.

"Oh yes. A Work like you suggest would surely be legendary. I get the impression it is high time this Freehold gained some notoriety. Something beyond being the battle ground against a dragon - or the lost Freehold that was burned to the ground."

"I am in, regardless."

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mantle

Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The Dread Lord returns the smile with a rather sinister one of his own. "Capital Idea. If you are making a habit of trades, I've found anything shiny or original works also do quite well. Things that look like they have value, or have an emotional tie are often as valuable a tool as Glamour to the unwary goblin."

There is a nod of agreement. "Just so. I've never known her to turn down the opportunity, but I'll speak with her forthwith."

Anatole's laugh brings out a chuckle. "You seem to overlook recent events all too easily, my friend, including your very own part in them. With the Huntman seeming all but moved on, and the removal of Ann's right hand in Meg, we are sure to have earned something of a reputation. Freeholds of larger size and resource have caved to one of the Gentry's attacks, and the Iron Ogre was known through the South West as an agent of Fear. But I see your point - I would also like a certain... seasonal mark where someone has sought to encroach on my domain." Did he mean to go toe to toe with Ann? It was hard to say from the expression, but the thought was certainly reeling through his mind.

"Splendid. When we are ready, I will call."

Looking around, he sees Circe and John making some kind of pact from the glimpses he caught and the feeling on the edge of description, while Sera is heading for the Offices and the Wyrdstone with Worm. As Reigning Queen, it was easily her right and didn't need him complicating matters. Still, it seemed the vivacious Italian was now available, and he made turned to head over.

Unless Anatole stops him, that's everything and Rhodes will head for the Main Thread and Circe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread