Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
(Eternal Court) By the Chess table

Mar 4, 2021 : (2103)Eternal Court
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Giant
    Mask of Tranquility
    Alexander Moore

NOS
    PRE

Alexander watched the Prince enter, hesitating at the sight of the large creature at her side before giving her a deep bow. Then a bow to Priscus Hazelton, followed by another bow to Priscus Durant. Turning back to Mr. Heinrich, he considered the daunting task ahead of him, taking a moment to regard the chair far below.
    Curse: Incredibly tall and emaciated, their skin is stretched over their large and bulky frame, with long limbs and a strangely shaped head.

2. Likes liked this post

Giant
    Mask of Tranquility
    Alexander Moore

NOS
    PRE

“Thank you, if you’ll give me a moment.” Shuffling steps brought him to the side of the seat, and using the action of opening his suit jacket to allow himself a moment to steel his resolve, Alexander began “The Process”. Grasping the back of the chair with one hand, he began to lower himself towards the ground, folding himself into a more convenient form. Barely audible creaking emanates from his frame as he conforms to the chair. He is left looming over the table, his legs crossed in front of the chair in an attempt to make them less obvious. He considered the chess board, the grand strategy he was employing on his own body giving him pause as he looked back at Mr. Heinrich.

“I have dabbled on occasion, and you Mr. Heinrich? Shall we play a small game to pass the time?” He reached down and picked up one of the pieces, the bishop and let it roll in his palm while he watched Mr. Heinrich.
    Curse: Incredibly tall and emaciated, their skin is stretched over their large and bulky frame, with long limbs and a strangely shaped head.

4. Likes , pisces liked this post

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Daeva Vice: Wrath
    Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

"Of course, Mr. Moore," Edward replied with a smile and forced his vision away from the disgusting, fascinating display to the board.

"Ah, I admit to hearing you say that is something of a relief. I do not believe I've played in years, and even then, much like yourself, I merely dabbled. What first brought you to the game?" Edward took one pawn from each side, put his hands behind his back, and switched the pieces a few times before offering two closed fists. "Your pick, Mr. Moore."

6. Likes liked this post

Giant
    Mask of Tranquility
    Alexander Moore

NOS
    PRE

Shifting slightly in an attempt to find some form of comfort in the chair that he had lost in his own body long ago, Alexander stared at Heinrich for a small moment, listening to his Beast’s nervous chatter for sitting so close to a stalking predator.

“I learned to play when I was a child, but only became interested in the game once I began to play in University”

His eyes flicked between the closed fists before him until he raised his right hand and made a small gesture.

“Your left.”

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

"University? I have found no occasion to attend one myself. What was it that caught your scholarly interest?" Nothing like asking someone's major, although Edward hoped his open-ended phrasing would invite elaboration or a story.

Edward smiled as he revealed the white pawn. He returned the pieces to the board with smooth sure hands. "It would seem our choice of seats was positively prophetic," Edward commented offhandedly.

Giant
    Mask of Tranquility
    Alexander Moore

NOS
    PRE

“I was schooled in medicine, surgery and the like, mostly I was drawn by the prestige that my own talent for the subject brought on than anything else.” Alexander gazed down at his still raised right hand, flexing the long fingers with bulbous joints, imagining creaking as the bones moved smoothly against each other.

“Quite lucky for me then. I’ll take my move.” Reaching out with his right he delicately grasps the pawn that Mr. Heinrich just returned, moving it into the center of the board.

“E-4” He leaves his fingers inches above the pawn, distractedly looking about the board before looking up at Mr. Heinrich expectantly, his hand now back at his side.

3 successes

1 success

1 success

2 successes

failure

failure

failure

2 successes

1 success

1 success

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

Edward nodded, prestige was a normal motive, although almost anyone who chased it would evade confessing to the chase. After all, it was more prestigious to study medicine out of a desire to help others than out of a desire for prestige. Therefore, it was only natural to lie.

"And does prestige retain motive force in your Unlife, Mr. Moore?" It was too personal a question, but Alexander's words were a desert and having to carry a conversation the other man initiated annoyed Edward. Insist upon brevity if you must, but then at least do me the courtesy of asking a question.

On the other hand, maybe Alexander just wanted to play chess. With that thought, Edward shook off his annoyance. I shall oblige. "e6."

Chess Rolls

Giant
    Mask of Tranquility
    Alexander Moore

NOS
    PRE

Alexander gave Mr. Heinrich a small look, raising one his eyebrows before looking down at the board and frowning. “Not as much, no. It was difficult to come to terms with, as you said, my Unlife, I find myself unsuited for the oaths I took as a doctor.” His frown continued to deepen as he looked down over the board, and he played in silence for awhile.

Whatever confidence he had in his ability to play was quickly eroded by his opponent’s impending victory. He was so tall that he could nearly look straight down at the board if he leaned forward slightly, but even then he realized he was blind to the movements of the pieces. His initial success was all he had, and that had simply overextended him to where he was now, no longer playing his own game, but going where his opponent directed. With a forced sigh Alexander recalled his Sire, and their teachings, once again finding himself lacking and not even taking advantage of what was in front of him. He was glad they were so far apart, he could almost hear the Dwarf’s slow boring lecture.

“So Mr. Heinrich, may I ask what you do for a living, er unliving?” Alexander tried to lean back in his chair, maybe get his mind off the game so he wouldn’t agonize over it too much.

12. Likes pisces, liked this post

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

Alexander's answer made perfect sense to Edward. It seemed the giant believed the prestige reflected an underlying nobility and that when his new nature tainted the oaths and by extension the nobility of his work, he stopped.

Edward could empathize. Did empathize. But he wasn't about to have a heart to heart with a man who before tonight Edward had done nothing more than exchange names with. So Edward left the matter with a, "I understand." and turned his attention to the board.

He had been taught to play closed structures by his Sire, as to avoid embarrassing blunders. That Edward played the French, was, therefore, no surprise.
    If a strong player were to look at their game after the opening, they would dismiss Black's position as losing, but among weaker players, converting advantages, especially within closed structures, was no easy matter.
    After a long period of shuffling pieces and quietly improving his position, Edward executed a long prepared pawn break which led to a game-ending attack.

And only then did Alexander speak — his words, after so long a silence, jarring.

"My professional occupation," Edward smiled, politely offering the stumbling Haunt a different way to phrase the question, "is in the realm of cybersecurity. I own a consulting firm." Which, due to a few lucrative contracts, had made Edward quite wealthy, although he'd loathe to admit it.

"And what of yourself, Mr. Moore? I gather from your earlier words that you have found continuing your Kine profession disagreeable. If not that, then what occupies your nights?"

Giant
    Mask of Tranquility
    Alexander Moore

NOS
    PRE

Alexander had left many old habits behind when he became Kindred, yet the pull to chew the inside of his mouth wrestled against him. He resisted, barely, knowing that it looked ghastly on his face and that he’d likely bite through his own lip. The game was over, and he was free to continue making a poor attempt at conversation. Sometimes he thinks he might’ve preferred roasting over the fires of Hell to this, but regardless of his discomfort he still wanted to know a little more.

“You must be self-taught then, to be doing well in such a field you must have quite the skills, what is your company’s name? If you don’t mind me asking.” A perfect job for the man, invisible and far reaching if you had the ability.

Alexander looked at Heinrich for a moment before looking up at the ceiling for another moment. What had he been doing? So much reading and wandering, idle nights under street lamps and through the sewers. And the Necropolis of course. “You are correct, I no longer have the will nor the shape to work with Kine any longer. With my change in appearance it would be difficult to try and reenter the hospital in such a capacity. So I’ve been learning the city most nights, keeping up to date with some medical journals and doing some work in the Necropolis.”

Alexander continues to peer about the room for a few more seconds after he finishes speaking. “How often is Court held in other venues? I had anticipated a changing locale after my acknowledgment on the Farm, but the Nox seems to be the meeting area of choice.”

15. Likes pisces liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread