Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque arrived ahead of time, dressed nearly as formally as he had at court. Flawlessly shone shoes, pressed suit and vibrant vest. Accessories tied together his wardrobe, his Rolex most noticeable followed by a tie bar and amethyst cufflinks. At the center of the meeting room table he had placed a marbled chess board, tall enough to conceal a carrying case for its pieces but for now each were set in their respective places.

The Pricus of Lords sat and patiently waited for his guest this evening: Mister Milton Northbridge.

Blood Hunt:

2. Likes liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Milton arrives after Jacque, at the appointed time. Indeed, he locates the meeting room just at the hour and the minute, neither early nor late. His punctuality speaks to a certain obsessiveness and, perhaps, trepidation. Being before or behind the time could breed displeasure in his Priscus and Milton would rather not risk such a development.

Like Jacque, Milton appears in an ensemble strikingly similar to his courtly attire. The suit is a slightly darker grey, the shirt shades toward a champagne pink, and his tie has a subtle black and white print. Now, as then, his clothing screams middle management, though it's all well made, well tailored, and well pressed. Everything about Milton is well pressed.

In his left hand, he holds the strap of a black, leather bag, large enough to fit a laptop and a few other, essential items. With his right hand, Milton knocks on the open meeting room door before entering.

He stops just a few feet inside the room, not wanting to go any further until he is invited to sit. He glances at the chess board, admiring it for a moment, before finding Jacque with his placid gaze.

"Good evening, Priscus. Thank you for meeting me."
    Health: Vitae: WP: BP: 1

4. Likes liked this post
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

At his entrance, the Lord stood, some in part to normal politeness and etiquette and more to appease the Beast's desire of some kind of initiating reflex. "Always happy to make time for Family," he responded while motioning to the seat across from him. "Please, have a seat." His words deliberate, pointed. The Beast will not have its way this night.

Once comfortable, he reclaimed his seat, "So, you made mention of some additional questions?" He smiled as he rotated the board a quarter turn, "Do you have a preference on starting?"

Blood Hunt:

6. Likes liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Milton assumes the seat indicated, only pausing to set down his bag and unbutton his suit jacket. He composes himself quickly, hands folded on the table before him. He has not elected to counterfeit life for this meeting, seeing it as a waste of resources. Accordingly, his face is pale, indeed quite waxen. He does not blink. In short, he appears as he truly is: a walking corpse in a suit and tie.

"Please, you play white, Priscus," knowing full well that means Jacque will make the first move. To Milton, it's a gesture of respect. He returns his fellow Lord's smile as the board is positioned. It is, to all appearances, quite genuine.

"You remember correctly. I am most interested in the role of Priscus as outlined in Her Grace's laws. From an academic and a practical perspective." Especially practical.

But before Milton can continue, his mouth suddenly forms a small 'O' of surprise, as if he's just remembered something. This is because he has, "Ah! Before I go on, I brought something for you."

Milton's lifeless repose is broken as he reaches for his bag, unzipping it below the table and extracting something. The bag is re-sealed and placed at his feet and a small, red book is produced and set on the table before him.

"This," Milton says, "is volume 62 of the Loeb Classical Library. What's known as Seneca VIII, the first book of his tragedies. I particularly recommend his Hercules Furens, which is given first place therein." He gives the book a pat. "A very handsome little thing, with the original Latin facing a fine english translation." He stands, sliding the book across the table to Jacque. "A gift for you."

Seating himself again, Milton resumes his deathly composure. "My sire was fond of giving Seneca as a gift to those of our Blood. I find it pleasing to follow his example." A pause, "My apologies if you already own a copy," he finishes with a small, self-deprecating smile.

8. Likes liked this post
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque nodded, giving the board another quarter twist to place white in front of himself. He then quickly moved the queen's pawn as he absorbed his cousin's question.

Pale fingers ran across the cover and spine of the book, the word gift pulling a grin to a corner of his mouth. "It is lovely, thank you Mister Northbridge." He waved his hand dismissive of the apology, "I do not, but even if I had I tend to treasure an item received with purpose and meaning such as this one."

He leans back and intertwines his fingers, "There really isn't much mystery to it I'm afraid. I am responsible for the Ventrue of Sacramento and as a means to that goal I am privileged by Prince Alessandra Antinori to punish and reward members of our blood. Is there something more specific about the Priscii that you are interested in?"

3 successes

Blood Hunt:

10. Likes liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Milton is clearly pleased with Jacque's response to his gift. A self-satisfied little smile flits across his face before he composes himself and speaks again: "You are too kind, Priscus. Once you've had a chance to read it, whenever that may be, I'd love to discuss the plays with you. They are stunning illustrations of our...particular condition." Tales of the mighty and the powerful, plagued on all sides by ill fate, the displeasure of the gods, and madness. What Lord would not relate?

A pale hand finds his own Queen's pawn, tests its weight. Milton gives a slight nod of approval to himself. Moves the pawn ahead one position. The French Defense, at least for the moment.

Milton looks up from the board: "It's just a fascinating difference in organization. In Boston, the Priscii were largely a clan based position, separate from the Court. A family matter. Here, the Priscus of each clan is invested with significant power by the Prince herself." Milton leans forward slightly in his chair, "And quite ingenious, I might add. It fully integrates the clan unit into the political structure of the Domain at large. As functionaries of the court, the Priscii must remain loyal to the Prince herself." If they want to preserve their privileges and powers. He leans back again: "Which, I'm sure, mitigates many of the problems seen in other domains..." Say, a Family revolt against the Prince.

1 success

12. Likes liked this post
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Power and motivation... perhaps even inspiration come hand in hand." His eyes glance over the board and he moves a second pawn. "The incorporation gives some fangs to the roll and mitigates the need for Her Grace to directly address some of the petty bullshit that can come from intra-clan politics." He nods as he agrees with the analysis, "They retain free will, but as you can imagine falters in loyalty or service to the Domain from a Priscus can be detrimental to the family they represent. A further incentive to keep a clean house."

He smiled as he paused for Milton's move, a small gesture of politeness in respect to the game. Afterwards, he continued, "With respect to keeping a clean house, if you are approached to aide in official Domain business it is my expectation that it be done to the best of your ability and without demand for any volume of Boons. I have heard of other Domains where such payment was expected, and I wish to avoid a misunderstanding." He tilts his hand over before adding, "Furthermore, any desire to teach our Family's power to another requires my approval."

failure, 2nd roll 3 total

Blood Hunt:

14. Likes , Endymion liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Milton leans back in his chair as Jacque unfurls his reply, a small smile of real pleasure looking very out of place on his staid features. Good conversation is such a comfort. He listens intently, his eyes still on the board between them.

"Delegation, reward, and formalized consequences, all using a pre-existing hierarchy," Milton adds, summing up Jacques' thoughts on the matter. "Yes, quite ingenious." He sounds impressed, but he's also alert to the pitfalls (which he wisely keeps to himself). After all, whatever autonomy the Clans may claim in other domains is undermined by such a system. From the point of view of control, it is an elegant solution. But when you are the one controlled? No way out.

"I wonder, are the covenants subject to the same integration? I don't recall that they are mentioned in the document you provided me...Or perhaps I simply fail to remember?" He's fairly certain that he hasn't forgotten.

Milton straightens in his seat and studies the board with greater concentration, glancing up as Jacque lays out some of his expectations. "You anticipated my next move, Priscus," he says. But it's unclear whether he refers to the game or the conversation. Another of his own pawns is moved as he modifies the French to suit Jacque's choices. Soon it will no longer be the classic French defense at all. From form to chaos and (hopefully) back again.

"Certainly, you can expect me to assist in every way I am able," he assures Jacques, before continuing with something akin to a look of distaste: "and without expectation of any such...renumeration." The idea of requesting a Boon for the services under discussion is extremely pedestrian to someone with blood as blue as Milton's (even if its color has faded slightly over the years). Prestige, respect, true power: these are earned or taken outright. Not traded or bartered for; at least not in such a context.

And now, with Jacque's words of warning concerning their family talent, that shadow of distaste transforms into a look of outright distain. "I cannot imagine a situation in which sharing such secrets would be called for. But ever it should arise, I will be sure to consult you." Milton leaves it at that. He simply cannot imagine.

He composes himself with visible effort. "But, speaking of expectations, I noted that the Priscus can also bestow certain privileges. I hope I'm not too forward in asking if there are any benchmarks you would define when it comes to granting such rights." He pauses, looking a little sheepish. "I thrive when provided clear guidance...And, frankly, the faster I can leave my current lodgings, the better." He says this last bit with an apologetic grin.

2 successes: 2nd roll, 3 successes total

16. Likes liked this post
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"No," he affirms his cousin's memory. "I imagine it is in some part to limit the possible overlap in jurisdiction." He shrugged his shoulders, "Covenant leaders still suffer from bearing the responsibility should a trend in failure or disrespect arise from their houses."

"I am glad that you value our secret so fervently," he made note of the physical cues. He considered his following question as he made his next moved on the board. A passive play, safe enough to see what the next round held for Milton's strategy.

"It is difficult to place any firm conditions on granting those privileges," he hummed in thought as he considered the board. "A basic haven is what most ever need and Tenancy is rewarded to those who show they intend to establish their roots in Sacramento by the weight of their actions and contributions to the Domain." His eyes moved gently between the pieces, clearly calculating the many choices that could be made for the next series of plays, "When I first came to Sacramento, the Priscus at the time set a condition of earning a place within Her Grace's Court as a condition. I think that is still a worthy reward considering the difficulty, however I would also at least entertain a discussion on the subject should your contributions to the domain earn you recognition among the population instead of mere acknowledgement."

"If you simply eager to leave something so temporary, there may be an alternative option in the works but it is too soon to suggest any details." Cousins of quality echoed through his mind from a distant memory.

1 success, 3rd roll 4 total

Blood Hunt:

18. Likes Endymion liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

Jacque's explanation of the covenants' position in the city is carefully considered. So, Milton thinks, a little bit of wiggle room there. Not much, but some. "Of course," he replies. "In the end, sedition must be answered, no matter how minor and from what quarter."

And yet, given the independence of the covenants (as opposed to the clans), they might be the one element of the domain where revolt could foment unnoticed. Not that Milton is at all interested in revolt. He simply wants to know all of the angles. The better to plan and (safely) profit if possible.

Dull, brown eyes move between his Priscus and the chess board. Otherwise, Milton could be mistaken for a particularly uninspired piece of statuary. Until, that is, his lips move: "That reminds me, I had a very pleasant conversation with Priscus Hazelton at court not too long ago. She confirmed that you are a Kindred of Quality. I had suspected, of course, but it is dangerous to assume." He pauses, watching Jacque make his next move. "Did I mention that my sire was a member of the First Estate in Boston?" Again, Milton is almost positive this was not discussed during their previous encounter, but he's always hedging his bets. Let's see where that bit of information leads us.

Jacque's disquisition on the finer points of tenancy are attend to closely by Milton. Indeed, he puts his own move on hold as he listens. Then: "I understand perfectly, Priscus. Such things should be tied to merit," or the presumption of merit. "I ask because, as a member of our esteemed Family, I am not most Kindred, as I am sure you would agree." It's meant to be something of a joke, though Milton's staid demeanor can make it hard to discern his intent. "What I mean is, I would hope to earn that right and expand and appoint my haven in a manner befitting of our Clan." Milton is Ventrue through and through: he understands well that power is a matter, in no small part, of appearances. "I am happy to earn that right, but wanted to make you aware of my intent to do so." A pause, "I'd also be happy to hear about this...alternative. When you are ready to discuss that option, of course."

Now, Milton's eyes return to the board. He is silent for a long moment as he considers his next play.

"On another topic: I would also like to register my interest in the position of Whip for our clan." A pale hand reaches out, grasps one of his knights. "I know, at present, we are the only members of our Family...worthy of introduction," Jacque's words, "making the role of Whip largely symbolic. But it cannot remain that way forever." He moves the knight out with a small smile. "I believe that I would be well suited to serve in that capacity." And what will Jacque say to that proposition? Milton waits and watches.

failure, 3rd roll; 3 successes total

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread