Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Corn's car (Mysterium secret business)

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Walls and the Floor become slightly tilted, there's a sickly sweet and sharp smell in the air. Faintly, the sound chains (and even fainter: the sound of leather) can be heard. More powerful spells make the sounds more pronounced and colors seem to pulsate.
    Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0
    Active Spells: 1/4
    Personal Spells: 1

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

Crystal gave an overdramatic sigh. "I guess you're right. Maybe having all this power blows up the ego too much or maybe people grow bored with how nothing ever happens around town." Maybe he was projecting a little. "Actually I'm kind of disappointed they didn't agree to the duel - play stupid games, win stupid prizes and all."

Corn's impressions about the big dogs of San Francisco made Crystal chuckle, despite the less than peachy experiences with them. "I guess so. They certainly acted like they were the hot shit, but what else is new. You know, at first I actually envied them a bit. They seemed to have their shit together. But yeah, found not compatible - although they used less nice words." And those had still been the nicer part.
    "Come to think of it, there aren't any Cabals around here, right? The coming and going must play a part in that, but I wonder if someone could actually get something done when it comes to structure around here."

Just as expected: gossip always calmed him down and to extend the olive branch even further Crystal reached for the lukewarm tea and took a sip. Ugh, tea. "What's your take on that? Any non-academical ambitions in that head of yours?"

Corn's background information concerning Vulture left the Mastigos not particularly interested. "I guess. I barely met everyone else around, so I won't strain myself trying to make that happen. But I'm always open to new experiences."
    Health: Willpower: Mana:

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Nimbus: Light purple aura and a scent of freshly dug earth after a rain.
    Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost

Analyze life, WP to boost a roll, Paradox mitigation, Non-path magic, Getting out of Grapple
     Improvised out-of-path, ExitScene

PRE

When Crystal mentioned the ambitions, Corn answered with a nod. "Yes! You know how we have been talking about the Athenaum being empty. I plan to put together a workshop of sorts to do basic alchemy and metallurgy. Thaumium is an exceptional supernatural metal but to make it you need perfected forms of other existing metals. And perfecting purified metal is much easier. So, I am gathering things to build a workshop.
    In short, my plan is to suggest to Campanella , that can make Thaumium if given the right materials, to make a box inlaid with Thaumium on the inside. Thaumium resists magic. Thus, a safebox made of Thaumium would be very hard to break into and it might -not sure but it might- resist things like time-hiccups and time-resets.

However, that's the tip of the iceberg when it comes to alchemy. At some point, hopefully not far to the future, we could make golems as guards.
    "
    For scene effects, see Minisheet. No monthly rituals at this time.
    Occult 4 because Mysterium is about the knowledge!

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Walls and the Floor become slightly tilted, there's a sickly sweet and sharp smell in the air. Faintly, the sound chains (and even fainter: the sound of leather) can be heard. More powerful spells make the sounds more pronounced and colors seem to pulsate.
    Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

He was asking about non-academic ambitions, right? But yeah, that answer just fully seconded Crystal's opinion about Corn. If he ever had any plans to become a mover and shaker in Sacramento, he probably couldn't count on that Moros. "Huh yeah, that sounds interesting. What do you want to do with it once you've created it?" His voice didn't betray him - it sounded as interested as appropriate, given the enthusiasm Corn was showing.

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost

Analyze life, WP to boost a roll, Paradox mitigation, Non-path magic, Getting out of Grapple

PRE

Corn answers without a second thought "Improve it. Find ways to make it better. If improving the already created work of magic proves too hard, keep in mind its shortcomings for the next version. Perhaps publishing the findings to other branches of the Mysterium. Things like that." It was only after a moment that Corn added, "and use it as a guard for the Athenaum, of course!"
    He seemed completely oblivious to Crystal's lack of enthusiasm. It was clear from his tone that Corn wanted to make a Golem out of academic ambition without any goal in mind for it - especially considering they didn't have much to protect in the Athenaum anyway.

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

Crystal fully turned towards Corn, their cockamamie task forgotten for now. "So you're all about the intellectual studies of what's possible and where we could advance?" He considered for a second. "All of this is just an expansion of things to learn for you, right?" If this sounded like an accusation, Crystal certainly hadn't intended it to. "Without thinking too much about it: do you care about a Consilium or your place in it apart from academic achievements?"

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost

PRE

Corn pondered this for a bit. One could think he pondered this for the first time and one would be right.
    "I haven't thought much about it. The Consilium here is more like a big cabal with kickass meeting ground than what I am used to. We don't have a Hierarch and we don't have a clear governing body. The battlemages that protect us and the veil do it in an informal capacity. You see, in a small community like this, everyone knows everyone. We know who is the town sheriff and we lack the town mayor and the town priest, but our saloon is great and the town doctor is so skilled that she can create Hydras if she tries. As we figured out in the previous meeting, half the town disappeared in the gunfight with the evil brigands - the Seers.
    Now, personally, I don't find any interest in consilium politics in Sacramento, at least, not so far. When the whole town is 50 houses, getting a position in it doesn't account for much. However, making a better whiskey distillery or kickass fertilizer for the farms is, in my opinion, more worthwhile.

We're a baker's dozen here, Crystal. There's not much room for advancement in positions. But academia... there's where we can make our mark. And if we do well enough, we could get recognition in the wider order of the Mysterium that holds many times more mages than Sacramento. I don't actually plan to raise the ranks of the Order as it becomes quite cut-throat the higher you go like most academic institutions. But my ambitions lie there. Raising somewhat in the Mysterium order.
    I can't tell you that I would avoid a position in Sacramento's consilium if it was offered, but so far I am not interested in becoming say... the Moros Councilor. I plan to ask Campanella to get that position because I think we need a councilor but I don't plan to gun for it. You should also go for Mastigos Councilor. We don't have many of your path here but that may change. Also, being a councilor means that we have some official to turn to, when things are needed from your path for the good of the concilium. Space and mind create interesting barriers. Like the one around the Circle of Creation.
    "

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

"I see. Well, you make a compelling argument and I respect your view." He certainly didn't share it, though. Frankly, it all just seemed to self-indulgent - and it takes one to know one.

"So what's your endgame? Just get enough recognition to reasonably fly under the radar but get your dopamine fix?" Clearly he didn't believe in innovation for innovation's sake. "And hard pass on the Councilor - could you actually imagine me being a role model for new arrivals or Awakened?" But damn, he certainly knew whom to turn to if he ever had any questions concerning Supernal studies or something. Crystal groaned and shifted in his seat.

"Sorry I think you've asked for me on one of my worse days. I also feel like I'm suffering form culture shock or something, coming from San Francisco and it's super serious, top-dog driven Consilium to this sleepy town of baking circles and midterm papers. So forgive me for being a bit sceptical about all of this." Although the last part was dripping with sarcasm, there was a hint of honesty beneath it.

"Anyway, did you find anything interesting yet?"

8. Likes liked this post
    Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost

PRE

Answering the last of Crystal's questions first, Corn simply said "Nope, we're not close to the gardens yet."

Then he turned to the endgame question.
    He is a bit too interested. Perhaps he's spying for someone else or wants the info for future reference to the highest bidder? Sorry Crystal, I don't trust you that much yet. Better give him something believable but not the whole book.
    "I trust you, so I will tell you about the 'endgame' as you call it although it is not crystalized." Corn said trying to buy time to think of what he should say and what he shouldn't.
    "While getting my dopamine fix but still flying under the radar, I will inevitably form better relations and bonds with mages. Eventually, I plan to be part of a cabal to have some hard allies. Low-key recognition of my talents would help me with that. Using the resources of the cabal - one of which resources would be me - I will have a better, more secure life without compromising my Sleeper life. A bigger house. A better car. Better health for my loved ones. Acknowledgement and below-the-radar raise in the Sleeper world. Such things are easier and much safer to accomplish from within a cabal. Academic recognition within the order would help with that.
    And as I mentioned, I would be a member of the Mysterium wherever life brings me. I don't mean I plan to leave. But I don't know whether I will spend my whole life in Sacramento or I will get tenure position in Miami or Austin or some other place after 5 years. Or whether we will 'set roots' with my wife here till we grow old. But even in that case, the population of mages is in flux. We will never have 40 mages in a city of that size but we will probably get to 20-25 in 20 years or something.

If it helps to condense it, I enjoy doing research in the supernatural, I enjoy learning things and I believe that going after such pursuits would lead to a better life for me and those I love. That would be the 'endgame' in a way, if you want.
    "
    Here it is Crystal. Not complete Bull, but not the whole thing either. You can report to Campanella or Winter or whomever you spy for that I am of no interest.

10. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Jesus, time flies when you're having fun, huh?" This was shaping up to be a long day after all. If he ever agreed on something like this again, he'd make sure to drive himself. Not that Sacramento's traffic was Corn's fault, but still.

Crystal whistled appreciative once the Moros was done. "Wow, seems like you've got it all figured out. But can't you, like, turn shit into gold or something? I mean, we've established that you're not exactly scared of using Magic in your everyday life, why not go all out? Also, do you have your eyes on any potential members of your Mensa-Cabal?" Now that would be interesting. He was going through some names in his head, but none of them really fit what Corn was imagining.

"Good point about the population here, though. I wonder if that makes it easier or harder to gain influence - I mean, if you're one of the few who stick around long enough to cultivate your influence with Sleepers and the likes there is less competition. But I guess you'd have to walk a different Path to answer questions about the future." He kind of hoped that the plans of his fellow Mystagogue would give him a little perspective himself, but everything that's important to Corn was something Crystal didn't have.

Bummer.

The Mastigos looked out of the window again, following invisible clues of something not belonging to their world.

We're well over a month now - do you want to finish this scene after a few more back-and-forths?

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost

PRE

"I have not anyone in mind yet. I am getting to know people and I need to trust those people and they to trust me.
    As for rugs to riches... I cannot turn metal into gold and when I am able to do that, I won't do that. There's a difference between being easy with magic and a complete different one than to abuse magic in ways the Sleepers may notice. I don't want trouble with the Sleepers. Even if they think they were duped to buy faux-gold, it will eventually be mobsters gunning out for me. Fixing a broken chair is different than selling gold rings that after a day revert to brass. I enjoy magic but it is better for everyone, including myself and other mages, if we are under the radar. "

Soon enough, they were close to the gardens. "We're almost there. I will put up my spells again and we should look around for anything interesting. We could hung out another time."

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
Closed Thread