Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque nodded, "The decision to permit my learning the foundational disciplines was not made lightly. I do hope that the Judex sees the results as an excellent return on investment."

He smirked and quietly sipped his glass as the Prince reaffirmed her position on the matter. There was no sense in arguing the point, and perhaps her response even supported her stance. At the end of the night she was a savage, despite the intellect the Lord had come to appreciate. Her comment on the gift was the perfect opportunity to move forward gracefully, "It certainly seemed to grab a significant amount of attention, but nobody motioned to play. I might have started a game but with everyone crowding around the table..." he trailed off in thought, perhaps intentionally to avoid a senseless complaint. "Perhaps I can take a more direct approach to a game in the future."

He slid a pawn forward in an opening move.

"Swimmingly," he responded. "While we're on the topic, towards the end of my tenure as Herald we had a primer conversation on how the Oaths might serve you well when strategically applied within the Domain. I was surprised to hear that you had ultimately declined the concept." He averts his eyes, scanning over the game instead, "I hope to not to be confused with questioning your decisions, but I am very interested in the factors you are considering to reach that conclusion."

Blood Hunt:

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)
    First thing you will notice about Ale is the abundance of her tattoos. They go from her face all the way to her feet, and not much is left bare. The second thing? Her strong Italian accent.

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes
      ExitScene
     -2 Vitae for Blush of Life and Drink, 

+1
    SL
    PRE

She couldn’t speak for Twist, would never dream of overstepping that line. “I’m sure she won’t hesitate to make her thoughts on the matter known to you.” Ale saw the value in it, and could see it being useful in the future.

A low chuckle, “I saw that it seemed to be a beacon for others to crowd around, but not use. Which was an interesting display. It could simply be one of those situation where once others observe the game being played, they might take it as a sign it’s ok. Who knows, others may assume it’s a trap of some sort, set to catch whomever might be dumb enough to touch it.” Humor in her words. Clearly, the table at Court wasn’t a trap, but people liked to assume.

Taking another sip, she watched the move, knowing it was just a simple opening move. Well, if her memory served her right. It had been years. An inked hand reached to move one of her own pawns before answering, “It was a concept I was aware of, but not one I had seen in play so to speak. After seeing how truly useful the Oath’s could be, and how it can weed out unwanteds and those with ulterior motives, my stance has changed.” She was one to admit when she had been wrong, or when her opinion had been swayed. Smirking, “I don’t see it questioning my decisions, only looking to educate yourself. Plus, you're respectful in your questions, always a good thing. See, I was not Embraced within the Invictus, only joining a few years before my accession to my current position as Prince. Years upon years left me uneducated in the finer details of the First Estate. But now?” a light shrug of a shoulder, “I can see the value and will be looking into implementing Oaths going forward. I only make mistakes once.”
    Alessandra Antinori │BP 6│Strong Italian Accent

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

(imbibe)Vitae 1 Spent
    +1
    SL
    PRE

"Who would dare touch the Prince's things?" He jokingly asked. "They would certainly have some kind of death wish."

He nodded as the Prince shared some insight. That was certainly one way to make a conversation short. He smiled at her revelation, "I'm delighted to hear that. Perspective is an important thing, especially with one's leaders. I was curious to know what I may not have been considering to reach the correct outcome." Jack may not be Herald these nights, but his questions appear to be an effort to remain keen for it. "I agree that simply the presentation of an Oath can be telling, and if not, the execution of the Oath will keep you well apprised of the loyalty of your Officers."

Moving another one of his pawns he added, "In other news, I've been considering what else I might be able to do to serve the covenant. Given my strengths and newfound power, I was thinking of petitioning Judex Twist to be recognized as an Invictus Speaker. As the one who introduced me to the First Estate, I thought I'd see if you had any advice or recommendations before I pulled the trigger on that endeavor."

Blood Hunt:

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)
    First thing you will notice about Ale is the abundance of her tattoos. They go from her face all the way to her feet, and not much is left bare. The second thing? Her strong Italian accent.

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes
      ExitScene

+1
    SL
    PRE

There was a hint of a smile, “Perhaps the ones who dared touch my piano?” she was going to have to put Cain in front of it.

“I would always someone ask me instead of assuming and coming to the wrong conclusion. It creates quite a headache, and a waste of time.” The Lord seemed to understand this, and it worked well for him. “I’ve always been one who prefers to something in action before making a decision either way. And from how the wording set events in motion, I see it being extremely useful. The other test will be seeing who is receptive to it, and who is not. Because as we saw, it speaks volumes.” Taking another sip, “I also plan to extend it to deputies as well. I was apprised of disloyalty to myself and the Domain by one with inside knowledge of the Reeve and her deputies. So I’ll be taking care of that as well.” She still regrets not ending them all where they stood.
    Watching the pawn move, she moves one of her Knights out.

Now this was unexpected, but good news. “Advice?” a pause, thinking, “I’m not sure I can offer any. You’ve proven your worth, in my opinion, with how you handled yourself as Herald. I appointed you to that position because you are well-spoken and able to navigate difficult and sometimes, delicate, situations. I see those as being qualities a Speaker of worth should possess. But it’s Judex Twist you will need to impress with what you feel qualifies you for the position.” The Covenant was one place Ale had no sway in how decisions were made. And she was fine with that. Though it was strange that Jacque had brought it up with her. “What is that saying, nothing ventured, nothing gained?” a sly smile as she glance at the chess board, "What do you lose if she says no?" nothing. But you know where you stand and where you can improve.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

The Lord smirked in response to her... joke? Either way he would not be inclined to touch it next.

"I think there's room to debate cause and effect in that situation," he studied the move and eyes lingered over the chessboard as he considered his next words. "The sheriff installed deputies that had a clear... commonality in most cases. When the sheriff is sworn, I would imagine the language would secure confidence that Deputies are vetted for the same loyalty to you and expectations towards the law. Whatever a rogue deputy might do would need to be done outside of the knowledge, collaboration or approval of the Sheriff so what can they really achieve?"

"You honor me with your compliments, your Grace. Whereas I feel my tenure as Herald was not flawless, I do believe I have grown stronger from the experiences of my failures."
    A shrug and a flick of his wrist and he moved another piece, "I certainly hope the Duchess agrees in that regard, but if she does not it would at least be another opportunity to guide my focus."

Very sorry I let posting get away from me!

Blood Hunt:

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes
      ExitScene

+1
    SL
    PRE

She watches him study the chess board, “Reeve.” She corrects, “My first mistake was letting the previous decide how they would be referred. Not again.” Invictus or not, it would be Reeve. “The term Sheriff has left a bitter taste in my mouth.” She wouldn’t budge on that one. “One would think the language would instill confidence, but that is not always the case.” Her circle of trust was tiny, almost nonexistent. “No one has ever needed the approval or assistance of the Reeve, or anyone else, to go rogue. Sure,” a shrug, “it makes it easier, gives them an edge, though it’s not needed. So you would leave them without an Oath?” she asks directly. “Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for the entertainment of watching someone hang themselves, but it can be a hassle.” The slight hint of a smirk touching her lips.

A hand was raised, waving off some of his words, “No one is flawless and perfect. But you fulfilled the role as I requested. As far as I see it, it was successful and well-done.” But he could go and try and humble. Glancing down at the pieces as he moves on of his, and mover another pawn. “She’s always been fair and wise in her decisions. Everything done for the improvement of the Covenant. So I have no doubt she will make a decision that is best for not only the First Estate, but you as well.” An absent nod, “Always a chance for improvement. How would your focus change?”

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque noted the correction with a nod, "Nor would they need to be deputized. A deputy's influence is limited, but it provides a chance for them to prove themselves. I'd put the onus back on the Reeve to keep a clean house, and swear to report any dissent to the Seneschal and/or yourself." He shrugs, "Yes, I would leave them without Oath, or at least by your decree. Your Court are your pillars, so knowing where they stand should discourage any momentum for dissent below them." He thought to himself for a moment before adding, "I imagine an Oath would be a tool at their disposal if they felt it necessary. Either way, it provides the clear expectation for your Court while giving them the space to execute those expectations in a manner they see fit."

"You've witnessed me work through quandaries. When I fail to achieve a goal, I analyze the factors that contributed to that failure." He set a finger on the queen and slid it as he talked, "My change in focus is to mitigate those factors, or acquire new tools to overcome." His eyes lifted from the chessboard, "Mister Boyle's lies and deceptions would have no footing in today's climate, for example, where prior he could successfully manipulate Kindred without a mind to check facts."

He leaned back to sip his drink and wait for the Prince's move, "I'll admit, succeeding in this pursuit would help streamline my endeavors towards the studies of Oaths. Power and influence produce knowledge as much as knowledge breeds power these nights."

Blood Hunt:

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes
      ExitScene

+1
    SL
    PRE

“I’ve always encouraged one to prove themselves. Actions over words.” It was how she had always run things. “Perhaps sitting down with Lady Notary Hazelton, and figuring out the correct wording, will but my concerns at ease.” Maybe. She would always be untrusting. “But I’ll take what you’ve said into consideration.” There was logic to his words.

“I will say, it’s refreshing to hear someone work through a failure instead of pointing fingers at everyone else. Many here have blame their failures on those around them, when in reality, the failure was them. Owning our failures is a way for us to grow and improve, too few see that.” The queen, hm. As her eyes study the chessboard, “His failures and lies were going to catch up with him sooner rather than later. But I won’t lie, seeing him struggle the way Mr Heinrich did would have been a sight to see.” Moving a bishop.

“Becoming Speaker will streamline it?” she was unsure about that, “How so?”

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Like any contract, I imagine it would aide the process if you made a list of things you wished to memorialize." He ponders a moment before citing some examples, "Always uphold the laws... Acting in good faith in service to you. Leveraging their position for official Domain business and not for sole personal gain and so on." He shrugged as his eyes followed the bishop.

"Oh, I knew it would catch up with him but not until after it would cause some embarrassment to my family. As Whip I have..." no, wait, that is past tense, "...had a responsibility to keep such a thing from happening. I was at a loss for how I could make Kindred see through deception or accept the accounts of other Kindred of notable reputation. As it turns out, our gifts are a remarkable thing for resolving even the most complex of enigmas if we dig far enough." He smiled, thinking of the scenario Alessandra described, "Yes indeed."

"Well," he paused in consideration of the detail. "I'm chasing down a myth. There are plenty of stories and lore in the Invictus tomes. If these stories have any truth to them, learning the related secrets would be a great boon towards the work of a notary." He grins in thought as he adds, "Like many things in our world, power and influence are the keys to revealing such secrets. The duties of an Invictus Speaker lend credence to written correspondence and would increase the chances of attracting a reply from someone with direct knowledge on what I'm seeking."

Blood Hunt:

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes
      ExitScene

+1
    SL
    PRE

A nod, “Never been one to make lists, but, it might be valuable in this situation. Though I feel confident that Lady Notary Hazelton will know what I am seeking. Something else to discuss with her.” Not that she minded, she had been enjoying the Haunts company.

Leaning back, she listens. “One cannot make people see what they do not want to see. Which is even more true with our kind. If believing one’s lie furthers what they want, then why fight it?” a shrug. “I have seen embarrassment many times within my own Family. Some caused by me in my early years within the Domain, some by others. But it’s how a Whip, or Priscus, handles it that is more telling. At least in my eyes. As Priscus, how would you handle it now? Aside from your very useful gift.” Because one cannot always assume it will work.

This was why she took the chance on him and had been his Sponsor. “Well, seems like an intriguing myth to chase. I wish you luck.” And she actually meant it. If it would be a boon to the Notary, and therefore a boon to the Invictus, it had her support. Taking another sip, “Looks like you have been carefully planning your moves. Not unwise action to take.” Then a sly smile appears, “It leads me to believe you’re one who carefully plans each move you make,” glancing at the chess board, “and that you’ve already mapped out your win in this chess game.” Humor in her voice.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread