(Hedge Patrol II) Doorstep Combat
Jun 15, 2021 - Jun 24, 2021
Hedge Patrol III
Sep 14, 2021 - Nov 21, 2021
(Those Cast Aside) Tenure and Extension
Sep 14, 2021 - Nov 25, 2021
Reflections of the Past
Dec 11, 2021 - Dec 19, 2021
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... Last

0 Scenes

Once more the Patrollers travel past Funderland's administrative building where a secret path can be opened. A stairwell, narrow and steep leads the Lost far below the surface. The myriad of cobwebs had been cleared, but ever industrious the spider rebuilds. Single Edison bulbs have been strung up along the wall leading down into the Prohibition era tunnels that criss-crossed the subterranean map of the Freehold.

As the steep stairs come to an end, the passage abruptly shifts, taking a very sharp turn, running west-east. Rough hewn stone, dried mud, and grey brick run a curve overhead, cables run the length of it, tracking electricity to the glowing bulbs. On the ground is a rusted, unstable tack.

Placed against the far wall is an archway. Heavy grey stone carefully placed, create it. Some Hedgerune is carved upon the keystone. The HedgeGate, is closed...for now.

And beyond it, the Hedge, ever shifting, always dangerous and it's always, always right there, just in their backyard. Previously Cassandra, Ram and Gerrit had torn up a hive of insectoid hobs, who's poison injected forced sleep, but everyone knows that they are the least of the Hedge's dangers.

Okay here’s the opening of the newest Hedge Patrol, please include your Equipment, Health and WP with every post!
    Gerrit Aeolus Cassandra Reeding Shenanigans , Anatole Yumyumcrow , Ram Scourge

2. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    New Identity
    (Gerrit Jameson)
    Gerrit

Mien:
    Leathery scars, bruises and scaly scabs cover the whole hairless body. There is a certain symmetry to the disfigurements, the color of the visible skin ranging from pale pink to purple and dark red. Lately patches of dark blue and black - frostbite - have appeared on his skin and some of the scabs have frozen over and crystalized.
    His right hand shows a copper-coloured, wilted and flaky scar, engulfing most of his palm and the inside of his wrist. Next to frostbite and bruised scars it adds a third layer of wounds bore by the Ogre.

Mantle:
    Contrast seem to grow slightly more stark around Gerrit, the crisp clearness of a winter morning. Sometimes the sound of ice forming or breaking can be heard in a short, brisk snap. When using Contracts a subtle, biting cold can be felt around Gerrit - pins and needles prick both the Onyx and those close to him.

Crown:
    Solid, thick panes of clear ice symmetrically arranged around his head with fern frost at the base.
    Active Pledges

Motley Pledge

Only a result of 10 on a die is considered a success. Should a given die result in no successes, the failure is considered to be a dramatic failure, though the oathbreaker may spend a point of willpower to negate this, making it a regular failure.
    -Until Oct 5th.

PRE

Stonebones Snowskin

The last time they went things went downhill quickly - that alone should have been reason enough not to go there again without good reason. The thing was: since they hadn't found out anything of value and because he'd promised Ram to be at his side if they were to go again, he knew he had to venture through the thorns sooner or later.

Plus, there was something in the back of his mind that kind of wanted to go there again. Despite the danger that Hobgoblins, the Gentry or the Hedge itself posed, despite what happened to Cassandra (and Ethan), despite feeling the Ogre-blood burning all the hotter inside of him on the other side - Gerrit wanted to gather information and maybe even learn a thing or two about Goblin fruits.

The Ogre arrived early at the Gate, dressed in sturdy thick clothes, boots and his windbreaker. Unlike last time, his backpack contained some basic helpful tools and some water. He knew he could get by with little for a long time, but if they wandered around as long as they did last time he at least needed something to stay hydrated.

He silently waited for the others to join him, watching the closed Gate and trying his best to keep the budding anxiety in check. This time will be different.

Equipment: Backpack - 1 bottle of water, First Aid Kit, Rope (from climbing gear).

4. Likes , Yumyumcrow liked this post

Attribute (Strength)
    (Barrel Chested)
    Merit (Arcadian Body:Str)
    (Huge Arms)
    Attribute (Dexterity)
    (Bull in a China shop)
    New ID (Andrew Sarcacious)
    Mantle (Summer)
    (+1 Athletics, Sounds of Battle)
    Ram

Mask
    Six foot, barrel chested, and didn't skip leg day. Ram is a muscle bound behemoth. His face and body are scarred from numerous injuries and his movements look stilted with pain occasionally. Still, his craggy face does soften occasionally.

Mien
    Ram looks like he could knuckle walk if he wanted. His arms and chest are enormous. More akin to a gorilla than human. His skin is an amalgamation of stony hide with fire cracks running through it and pieces of Fey machinery grafted at the joints. Segmented pieces of metal are bolted to run down his spine legs. Wood covers his skull with willow leaves providing hair, while curved bone horns sprout from the foliage.

PRE

The memories of what happened last time rose easily as Ram made his way down the tunnel to go on patrol again. The shadow swarm, Cassandra falling unconscious, Ethan... Ram didn't even remember the Wizened vanishing.

As the door came into view, Ram had a sudden impluse to break it. Tear the stone archway apart at the seams and crack the rune in half. Prevent any future danger from coming through to their world and any foolish enough step in from entering the Hedge. But that was a bridge burner's dream. And knowing, as the Autumn court so often pointed out, could indeed be half the battle. Know the battle field. Control the battle field.

Ram took a deep breath and smiled.

"Hey Gerrit. How's it going?"

Equipment: Backpack, First Aid Kit +1, Basic Survival Kit (sleeping bag, canteen, flashlight, glowstick, one day water and food) Sport Equipment Armor, two pairs of extra socks, extra days food (unsalted trail mix), extra days water
    Armor 2General / 0Ballistic / -1 Defense / -1 Speed
    Render | Strength 6 | Mantle 1 Distant sounds of battle

6. Likes , Aeolus liked this post
    Mantle (Autumn)
    (Shadows, heat and ringing metal)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK
    A shorter, barrel chested man with a thick beard.

MEIN
    A 'dwarf' with burned, scorched, and scarred skin.

PRE

Smith

Anatole is in boots, jeans, checkered shirt and a puffy beige body warmer. The boots are new and they creak terribly with each step; the body warmer was an after thought, but it did have deep pockets. He is waring his trade mark gloves: old, cracked, faded; and he carries his ax over one shoulder with the blade facing down.

"Gerrit."

The familiar Ogre gets a chin-jut for a welcome.

"Ram? Ram, I take it."

The dwarf barks the Render's name at first, but then his voice grows warm. The Render had been on his nascent Motley's list of allies to cultivate: maybe that was why Anatole grew an enigmatic smile.

He looked from one Ogre to the other. Idly, he wondered if Ram was the 'friend' Gerrit had been speaking of at their last meeting.

EQUIPMENT - Ax (Fire Ax); bottle of water and some ration bars (in his body warmer pockets
    Health: 7/7
    Willpower: 4/4 (2 rolls available)

8. Likes , Aeolus liked this post

Cassandra Moore
    Presence
    (Charismatic)
    Striking Looks
    (Radiant)
    Intelligence
    (Keen)
    Kith Blessing
    (Prismatic Heart)
    Status
    (Entertainment)
    Cassandra Reeding

Eyes like cut, polished emeralds, waist-length scarlet hair, and glowing prismatic skin that seems to react to her emotional state, however what they mean is anyone's guess.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Wyrd
    •••
    Polychromatic Artist

Cassandra wakes up a little later in the morning than she had expected, making her rush to get ready. Normally, she is the kind of person who is careful to be early. Arriving late meant she was keeping people held up and that just wouldn't do. Plus, it would only delay the inevitable.

Today, she would be going into the Hedge. The thought of it brings back memories of the last time she had been there with Ram, Gerrit and... what was his name again? Ethan. She'd almost forgotten. Was that scarier? Not to mention the creatures they encountered last time with their poison that put her into a long slumber. She'd been out for hours, her mind tormenting her with memories and false accounts of her life. There are nights when she can still hear that echo from her Keeper. You'll always need my help. It makes a shiver run down her spine. Nope. Not today. Today we are gonna kick butt and take names. Actually, how about we encounter nothing? That would be nice for once.

She quickly takes inventory of all of her gear, making sure she isn't leaving anything behind. Once she is satisfied, she picks up her backpack and makes her way over to the meeting point. When she arrives, they can see that she looks different than she normally does. Her hair is up in a ponytail, her hair completely out of her face. She looks prettier somehow, perhaps because she often hides her fairer appearance behind her long hair and by putting more emphasis on her eclectic style of clothing. She is wearing a pair of comfortable, loose jeans, running shoes, and a black, long-sleeved shirt. Her thin Kevlar vest can be seen a bit through the shirt and it is more than likely that she is wearing double layers. It is the winter after all. Not that it actually bothered her.

She approaches the group and indeed, she was the last to arrive, which makes her a little miffed with herself. In her usual airy and gentle, alto voice, she says, "Hey all, sorry I'm a little late." Even though she is nervous about going into the Hedge again, she doesn't let that show in her mien. Her opalescent skin continues to shift in rainbow hues, seemingly random in nature. Honestly, if one looks too long, she can be hard to look at.

Equipment: Backpack, A couple days of rations and water, Change of clothes, Duct Tape, Flashlight, First Aid kit +1, Kevlar Vest (thin) 1/2, Bowie Knife 2L
    Health: 7/7
    WP 2/2

10. Likes , Aeolus, Yumyumcrow liked this post

0 Scenes

The Archway, the 'Gate stands, silent and still. Taunting the Patrollers like it had once me before. Someone will need to expend the effort to open it before they can take their first cautious steps into the Hedge.

Someone's going to have to spend 1 Glamour to open the 'Gate!

Mantle (Autumn)
    (Shadows, heat and ringing metal)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK
    A shorter, barrel chested man with a thick beard.

MEIN
    A 'dwarf' with burned, scorched, and scarred skin.

(Gate activation)Glamour 1 Spent
    PRE

Smith

Anatole looked around and knuckled his moustaches with his free hand.

"Well then. We are assembled? Good."

Then he muscled his way forward and forced the Gate open with a pulse of his own Glamour and a hand gesture.

The Gate peeled open, turning on itself as it fused two separate realities. There was a rush of cold air, a chill breeze, bursting from the open Gate - a reminder of how the Hedge was affected by the reigning Monarch. The dwarf gasped in a mixture of surprise and shock and the sudden cold. He stepped through into the Hedge.

"Which way we going?" He called. He did not dare turn around: entering and exiting the Hedge left you vulnerable and he wasn't going to let himself get caught on the ever hungry Thorns.

13. Likes , Aeolus, liked this post

Attribute (Strength)
    (Barrel Chested)
    Merit (Arcadian Body:Str)
    (Huge Arms)
    Attribute (Dexterity)
    (Bull in a China shop)
    New ID (Andrew Sarcacious)
    Mantle (Summer)
    (+1 Athletics, Sounds of Battle)
    Ram

Mask
    Six foot, barrel chested, and didn't skip leg day. Ram is a muscle bound behemoth. His face and body are scarred from numerous injuries and his movements look stilted with pain occasionally. Still, his craggy face does soften occasionally.

Mien
    Ram looks like he could knuckle walk if he wanted. His arms and chest are enormous. More akin to a gorilla than human. His skin is an amalgamation of stony hide with fire cracks running through it and pieces of Fey machinery grafted at the joints. Segmented pieces of metal are bolted to run down his spine legs. Wood covers his skull with willow leaves providing hair, while curved bone horns sprout from the foliage.

PRE

“Yep, Ram. Anatole, right?” he replied to the dwarf “You shake?” he asked and depending on the answer was willing to hold out his hand for a hearty shake.

As the Wizened opened the gate their was a slight hesitation. The last time they'd gone through with a Wizened...

Ram steeled himself and stepped into the Hedge. Though he wasn't about ready to go just yet. As the gate was held open he continued.

“Which, might as well do a short introduction and agree to roles,” he said getting straight to business “Like I said, I’m Ram, Summer grunt. Gerrit and Cassandra and me went on a patrol a little while ago so we’ll probably fall along the lines of and see where you fall in there. I was our point man, offensive heavy hitter, and hostile negotiator. Expert pugilist and door breaker. I have in depth agreements with the Stone that can help in both ways, as well as healing in a pinch. I know a decent amount about how the Hedge works and its dangers and hopefully I picked up a bit on how to actually practically navigate it but I’ll leave that to Cassandra,” he said nodding to the Fairest, hoping she'd step through.

“She was our middle man, navigator,” secondary… primary when Ethan disappeared into the Thorns “And diplomat.” He paused to let her add anything she wanted.

“Gerrit was our rear man, defensive buffer, and back up navigator.” He smiled and nodded to the Stonebones and let them explain more if wanted again.

Ram also looked semi expectantly to Anatole for an intro on abilities and what marching order he would prefer.

“Last time we headed towards Capital Park but ran into problems and had to retreat back here before we made it there. Maybe it’s a bit selfish of me but I was kinda hoping to check in on a Hollow I’ve heard about. I mentioned it last time but I’m open to suggestions for other patrol routes or if we want to try for the Park again. Willing to take a vote.”
    Render | Strength 6 | Mantle 1 Distant sounds of battle

15. Likes , Aeolus, Yumyumcrow liked this post
    New Identity
    (Gerrit Jameson)
    Gerrit

Mien:
    Leathery scars, bruises and scaly scabs cover the whole hairless body. There is a certain symmetry to the disfigurements, the color of the visible skin ranging from pale pink to purple and dark red. Lately patches of dark blue and black - frostbite - have appeared on his skin and some of the scabs have frozen over and crystalized.
    His right hand shows a copper-coloured, wilted and flaky scar, engulfing most of his palm and the inside of his wrist. Next to frostbite and bruised scars it adds a third layer of wounds bore by the Ogre.

Mantle:
    Contrast seem to grow slightly more stark around Gerrit, the crisp clearness of a winter morning. Sometimes the sound of ice forming or breaking can be heard in a short, brisk snap. When using Contracts a subtle, biting cold can be felt around Gerrit - pins and needles prick both the Onyx and those close to him.

Crown:
    Solid, thick panes of clear ice symmetrically arranged around his head with fern frost at the base.
    Active Pledges

Motley Pledge

Only a result of 10 on a die is considered a success. Should a given die result in no successes, the failure is considered to be a dramatic failure, though the oathbreaker may spend a point of willpower to negate this, making it a regular failure.
    -Until Oct 5th.

PRE

Stonebones Snowskin

Gerrit greeted the other men with a warm smile and a wave. Really, if you were to go into the belly of beast you better do it with people you trust.
    Anatole's look went unnoticed by the Stonebones - he was busy worrying about Cassandra. What if there are aftereffects of the poison? What if she was too hurt to go with them again or worse - what if she'll get hurt again? Well, then he'd again have to make sure that she'll get out safely. Luckily, the Fairest was just late. He let out a small sigh of relief and gave her an appreciative nod. "Hello Cassandra, don't worry about it." Then, after a beat or two: "I like the way you did your hair." Not that the Fairest needed affirmation when it came to her looks, but in Gerrit's opinion there was no harm in voicing out honest compliments.

When Anatole opened the gate there was a short but intense moment of foreboding - they'd used the same entrance, they'd represented the same seasons and apart from one it'd been the same people going in. God, I hope this particular story doesn't repeat itself. But where Ethan had been unsure and fragile, the Wizened seemed grounded and resolute. Gerrit wished that this assessment was good enough.

Ram picking up some sort of leadership position again was fine with Gerrit. It paid off to have capabilities and responsibilities clearly defined, so he attentively listened to the Summer's round-up.
    "That about sums it up, I think." He liked how Ram left out all the short-comings and failures - no need to get into that headspace. "I would suggest to keep that marching order: Ram in the front and me having our rear. As for a destination: I primarily want to get a feel for the surroundings, so I'm fine with following your plan - or following the majority." He was ready to go through the Gate and follow the others.

17. Likes Yumyumcrow, liked this post

Cassandra Moore
    Presence
    (Charismatic)
    Striking Looks
    (Radiant)
    Intelligence
    (Keen)
    Kith Blessing
    (Prismatic Heart)
    Status
    (Entertainment)
    Cassandra Reeding

Eyes like cut, polished emeralds, waist-length scarlet hair, and glowing prismatic skin that seems to react to her emotional state, however what they mean is anyone's guess.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Wyrd
    •••
    Polychromatic Artist

Cassandra brings a hand up to her hair, tied up for the moment, and runs her fingers through the tail. It was an odd feeling having her hair up. She gives a pleasant smile to Gerrit, "Thanks."

Her attention turns to Anatole as he opens the gate rather quickly. She hadn't been expecting to depart so quickly the moment she got there. Her mind needed a moment to catch up and Ram's words went in one ear and out the other until she could firmly process it all. Right. I'm the navigator. Fingers crossed my contracts work for me today. "Yes, I think that mostly covers my strengths. I can also be crafty when we need it."

She lets out a slow sigh and considers their navigation options, "Well, you have a clear idea of where you'd like to check out, Ram, so I think that is the most logical area to go and survey. Hollows are useful resources, particularly for checking for Goblin Fruit and the like. You never quite know what you might stumble upon." And for stumbling across Hobs and other terrible things that might lay claim to it. No... calm. It's all fine.

She steps forward, examining the Hedge as they begin to enter, the frozen breeze emanating from inside calling her. She'd always felt more drawn to the Hedge in the Winter. There was something that felt comfortingly familiar, which rather terrified her. Then again, only a few weeks prior had been the anniversary of her escape. Perhaps the excitement of that residual memory is what truly remained. For a moment, her mind could clearly picture that gate of perfect green vines and winter flowers, beckoning her, giving way to her desperate desire to escape, the memory of home guiding her every step. Born in Winter, taken in Winter, escaped in Winter. When she thinks about it, she'll likely die in Winter too. But no, today is a day to patrol and check on the state of things. Yes. She was surrounded by fighters more skilled than she. She could do this... at least she hoped so.

19. Likes Aeolus, , Yumyumcrow liked this post
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... Last
Closed Thread