Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

A closed bookstore (Study Buddies)

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Dec 9, 2020 : Study Buddies
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Nimbus: Light purple aura and a scent of freshly dug earth after a rain.
    Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

PRE

Having texted the address to Aurora and Crystal , Corn unlocked the bookstore and entered.

The bookstore smells of paper. There are rows and rows of shelves arranged in a way that the person behind the wooden counter could see most of the shop. Fluorescent lamps provide good illumination and there are a couple of small tables for people to check the books. An ancient computer with a cathode ray tube monitor was set on the stand below the counter. Dammit uncle, I told you we need to jazz this place up. It looks like it was stolen from the late 90s, Corn thought.

Corn took a quick look around to make sure that no identifying information that would give out his identity is out before the other mages arrived. He turned on the lights but kept the shutters closed and the "Closed" sign.
    For scene effects, see Minisheet. No monthly rituals at this time.
    Occult 4 because Mysterium is about the knowledge!

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Walls and the Floor become slightly tilted, there's a sickly sweet and sharp smell in the air. Faintly, the sound chains (and even fainter: the sound of leather) can be heard. More powerful spells make the sounds more pronounced and colors seem to pulsate.
    Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0
    Active Spells: 1/4
    Personal Spells: 1

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

Having parked his car nearby, Crystal walked the rest of the way to the bookstore. Looking at it from the outside, he could see Corn owning one of those.

He checked if the door was open and knocked if it wasn't.

Once inside he definitely could see Corn owning one of those. "Hey, if we knew about this we wouldn't have to go to the library for our research. That's a nice place!" Which was true. The amount of books and the personal charm of the store really made him want to find something good to read and dig right in. "So this is yours?"
    Health: Willpower: Mana:

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

PRE

Corn felt ... similar to when he was meeting his inlaws these holidays. Nothing to worry about but you should give a good impression and glad to be accepted. He hadn't realized it that he would actually consider it a big deal to invite the mages here. And he hadn't considered how easy it would be now to learn his name. But let's hope nothing bad happens from this. His alibi was paper thin among mages anyway.
    He met Crystal's positive comment with a genuine smile. "This? No. At least... not yet. I have been thinking to put down a loan to take it off my boss's hands." Aunty's MS will only worsen and uncle Bart would need more time away from the bookstore. "I will have to pay rent but I see taking over it completely in the future."

"As for books from the library... we're a bookstore, buddy. We don't have the same selection. Many of our books are novels, make-it-yourself books and cooking books. However, in this digital age, if you want to buy recipe books for your mother or want to read Harry Potter, yes, please bring your business here.
    And while at it, ask if you can buy audiobooks. My boss is resistant to change. If we start selling audiobooks for people that have long commutes to their job we will be ... nevermind. I called you here so we can drink beer and relax, not talk about business.

We have a small room in the back for people to read books or play board games. Nice sturdy wooden table and benches. The table is well-used with coffee stains, scratches from dice or keys etc. It has a story. I could clean it like this
    " Corn snapped his fingers "and make it good as new. You know what I mean. But I prefer it to have that 'a lot of people enjoyed their time here' weathered look.
    We also sell kindle versions of some books for your tablets BTW!
    " Corn said before remembering he shouldn't talk business.

Taking a pause he looked affectionally at the bookstore.
    "In short, yes, I like it here."

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Multicolored copper bracelet with intricate loops winding around her right wrist.
    Nimbus

The sweet, fragrant smells of roses mixed with lilacs emanate from her as she casts magic. The scent intensifies, bordering on intoxicating, when Life magic is cast. When Aurora casts Vulgar magic, the scent takes a nasty turn, to the putrid, nauseating odor of a rotting corpse. The stronger the magic, the more those around want to retch at the smell.
    Monthly Spells

Monthly spells done on character sheet.

Pulse of the Living World[POT 6]
    Organic Resilience[POT 6]
    (PrP Treasure Hunt)

Active Spells: 1/6
    [Detect Substance]Bone
    Personal Spells: 2/3
    Vulgar:
    Mana:6/8
    WP:3

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

The red GTO pulls up, parks and the blonde Shaman steps out. Going around to the trunk, she pulls out two beer growlers and a bag, which had cups in it, walking towards the door. Testing the door, and finding it unlocked, she steps in, looking around. Drinking in a bookstore would be a first for her, but certainly not the weirdest place she’s drank.

“Hey, sorry I’m late.” No reason given, because she didn’t need a reason.

Holding the two growlers up, “I have secured the beer though.” Like it would have been difficult or something. “Also have snacks in case someone wanted some.” And couldn’t simply make themselves sober enough to drive.

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Walls and the Floor become slightly tilted, there's a sickly sweet and sharp smell in the air. Faintly, the sound chains (and even fainter: the sound of leather) can be heard. More powerful spells make the sounds more pronounced and colors seem to pulsate.
    Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

That'll teach this buddy to make friendly non-comital compliments. "Yeah sure, I'll keep that in mind when I something anytime soon. But good to hear that you've made yourself some kind of home here." He idly looking at the shelves now, waiting for the beer Aurora.

When she arrived Crystal threw up his arms for a big cheer. "Our heroine!" He had been productive and friendly the whole day, he really deserved something good now. "Those things really give off that homemade charm - you could almost sell them just like that at some hipster bar." Which was totally meant as a compliment.

"So, are we moving to the backroom, do you need help carrying anything?"

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

PRE

"Thank you for this beer and the snacks!" Corn said with a welcoming smile to the shaman.
    Closing the door of the bookstore and offering to take the beer from Aurora, Corn turned up the heat to make the place comfortably warm (in time - the heating system is not top notch) and led them both to the back room. As he had explained to Crystal, this was a small room - probably meant for storage - that at the time held a sizeable wooden table with a worn look, big enough to seat 6 people comfortably.
    "This is not actually protected, but nobody should be able to overhear us here unless the beer is so good we start shouting." Corn said. He didn't know how casual or paranoid these two were, so he didn't mention anything that he wouldn't have outside.
    "I can fish out some cookies we put out for the customers during the holidays if you want, but I am not sure how well they go with beer."

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Multicolored copper bracelet with intricate loops winding around her right wrist.
    Nimbus

The sweet, fragrant smells of roses mixed with lilacs emanate from her as she casts magic. The scent intensifies, bordering on intoxicating, when Life magic is cast. When Aurora casts Vulgar magic, the scent takes a nasty turn, to the putrid, nauseating odor of a rotting corpse. The stronger the magic, the more those around want to retch at the smell.
    Monthly Spells

(PrP Treasure Hunt)

[Detect Substance]Bone
    Vulgar:

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

She couldn’t help it, she laughed, “I think that’s stretching it, but I kinda like it.” Joking and a bit more relaxed. “Oh, the growlers?” glancing at them, “They make it really easy to store beer and bring it places. Cheap too.” Bottles would probably be cheaper, but she liked the growlers.

Chuckling, “Almost being the key term there.” No way was the beer that good.

A shake of her head, “Nope, I’m good, but thanks.” Always nice to hear an offer.

Following Corn, she checks out the area. Nothing too special, but it was a place to sit back and chat. “I personally keep things vague unless in my own home or at company headquarters.” But that was her, and she’d been through some shit. So she was one to error on the side of caution over not.

Smirking, placing the growlers down, “I don’t think it’s that good, so no worries there. And if people do get loud, I have ways of handling it.” Probably not ones either of them would like.

“I grabbed a bag of pretzels, and some block cheese from my house. I brought paper plates because with it being a bookstore, I wanted to make sure they didn’t make a mess.” Plastic cups were taken out of the bag, nothing fancy, just regular plastic cups. “But I think anything can really go with beer, depending on your tastes.” Shrugging.

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

Hearing Aurora laugh was pretty nice - Crystal mentally patted himself on the back for that. "Oh don't knock it until we've tried it. I'm guessing you're really underselling this."

In the backroom Crystal chose the chair facing the door and made himself comfortable. "Don't worry, I'm really big on safe play. Besides, I think it'll be interesting to talk about normal stuff - there'll be opportunity enough to go over weird shit I reckon." Raising an eyebrow when the Shaman said she'd handle yellers - sometimes he couldn't really tell if she was joking or making a threat.

"Cookies sound nice, but maybe for later. I'd say we get this show on the road now and start with savoury stuff first." He didn't know what to expect yet - would the conversation flow naturally or would he have to whip out the drinking games? Only time could tell.

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

PRE

Note to self: Drink lightly and do not shout unless you're on fire. Better not mess with messy Masters.
    After they settled in the back room, Corn passed a paper plate to everyone and held one for the snacks. "It is very considerate of you to bring plates! I would agree with Crystal. Let's do what we're here to do!" Corn picked up a paper cup and moved to the Growler. "Want to say a few words before I open it Aurora? Want to do the honors yourself?"

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Nimbus

Monthly Spells

(PrP Treasure Hunt)

[Detect Substance]Bone
    Vulgar:

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

A shrug, “It’s just a hobby, so I don’t think I’ve developed any sort of skill with it. It’s drinkable, and that’s all I’ve hoped for. Plus, it’s a whole hell of a lot cheaper than always buying beer. Five gallons for under thirty bucks, sometimes cheaper.” Worked for her.

“What sort of normal stuff?” she asks, taking a seat for herself.

Pulling out the bag of pretzels and then the cheese, setting them each on a plate. A small knife was removed from the bag as well, nothing big and scary, just a regular knife that slice the cheese.

Waving him off, “Go ahead and open it.” Pointing to one of them, “This one is the winter ale and the other is the chocolate stout. Though you can probably tell, because one of the beers is clearly darker, even through the glass.” And she was right, the stout was much darker. Reaching back into the never-ending bag, she pulls out an energy drink and takes a swig.

“So, what do we talk about?” blue grey eyes looking at the guys.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread