Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Puck and Campanella

THREADID
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
    Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

Winds blow around the mage, varying in intensity depending on the spell and parting abruptly after.
    Puck Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Totally!" Where Campanella's expression muted Puck's animated with his enthusiasm. "Though I tend to use Fate more generally for that. Find new places to eat, new people to meet."

That was the fun of awakening. The Winds of Chance would always blow one way or the other, but now they blew where he told them to. Life's little noises were silenced and Puck was free to pursue his whims as he saw fit. He was also free to curse the people that pissed him off, but that was another conversation for another time.

"How about you? Ever slip a little Truth in to liven up the dining experience? Or other experiences for that matter."

2. Likes , Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1
    Active Spells: 3/5
    Personal Spells: 3/1

[2R] Analyze Artefact (Deep Scrutiny of Artefacts, Prolonged, 1 scene)
    [4R] Dark Matter (Matter Sight, Prolonged, 1 scene)
    [2R] One Mind, Two Thoughts (Prolonged, 1 scene)

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1
    Personal Spells: 1/3

[4] Aura Perception (Concentration, 1 scene)

[5] Third Eye (Mind Sight, Prolonged, 1 scene)

[2R] Unseen Aegis (Armor, 1 scene)

PRE

A wry smile crept back onto the Moros features.

"Slip a little truth into the experience, you say? Oh no. Never. I know I'm a glutton and I'm definitely sure it is a vice of mine. I would cheapen the truth by expanding my indulgences. I know it is the Lie at work. I don't need to see it."

He did pause after he spoke, considering something the other man had said.

"You hav used... The Fate Arcanum... For this type of thing? What you really think that using your Arcanum is part of the experience? Do you browse the Sleepers like they are part of the menu, seeking the best conversation to be had?"

Campanella sounded doubtful, even to himself. The company with which one ate could - and sometimes did - make or break a meal.
    Campanella|Moros|Mysterium
    Gnosis: 4
    Occult Skill: 3

4. Likes liked this post
    Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

Winds blow around the mage, varying in intensity depending on the spell and parting abruptly after.
    Puck Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

How disappointing. It was like hearing someone call themselves a foodie and then watching them have a peanut butter sandwich for dinner.

"How is indulgence a Lie?"
    Sure, hunger qualified, but indulgence couldn't be that terrible. Unless Puck was walking into an ascetic verse ecstatic debate, which was still fine to him.

"I use a covert Fate spell to cancel out the noise and bring some minor good fortune. With the time I don't have to spend at stop lights and enduring the other small vagaries the world likes to put people through, I like to hunt for new experiences. Personally? I've found food to be a satisfying way of connecting with people. It's expressive of one's culture and taste without being overtly controversial or invasive. Everyone needs to eat, which means everyone has some opinion of their food. So when I bump into someone new, food is how I like to break the ice."

A lazy half shrug and he continues.

"Since I use my magic to quiet the world around me, I was curious how other mages use theirs. Food was just the first thing that sprung to mind, and what seemed to draw your attention."

Also totally the cupcakes fault. Puck was distracted and didn't explain as clearly as he could have. Darn bakers in this concilium. It's all on them.

6. Likes , Aeolus, Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

PRE

"Indulgences are weaknesses - of varying stripes. When I indulge I know I'm letting the Lie in, even for a little while; I don't need to see just what my meal is composed of through the Sight. I prefer to save the Sight for when it is needed - when one has been alerted to danger, or is the process of Supernal research; or when one is seeking a little joy in this Fallen World. Trouble is, indulgence can be a slippery slope that leads one ever closer into sloth and dissipation."

Campanella shrugged a little but listened attentively.

"I can't argue against that really. Food is the microcosm that reflects the macrocosm. I think it is one of the best ways to connecting with people. The table is one of the few places where the majority of Sleeper's - and Awakened - let down their guard."

He couldn't really argue with the explanation of Puck's magic, either: focussed and non-invasive; ripples rather than waves. That part of the Libertine's conversation received a small nod of agreement from the Mystogogue.

8. Likes , , Aeolus liked this post
    Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

Puck Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

"You let the Lie in every time you let your sight down and allow your five senses to guide you alone. The sight shows us the Truth, any time without it is time without the ability to tell Truth from Lies."

Though to be fair, more mages then Puck probably realized walked around without an active sight. It bugged him every time.

"And I'm honestly on the fence about indulgences. I agree with you that sitting around while the world passes you by is a good way to waste an awakening, but there are other ways of indulging that western orthodox would consider a vice. At least to borrow your term. Would they be offensive to you as well? Things like pride and hate and lust?"

Though his question might sound accusatory, the person who posed it seemed to be more curious then anything. He watches the Moros with a mostly blank expression as he chomps a bite out of his cupcake.

10. Likes , Yumyumcrow, Aeolus liked this post
    Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

PRE

Campanella is finishing off his own cupcake as well. His head bobs in time with the beats of Puck's conversation.

"Perhaps. It is true that by denying oneself the Sight when one has it, one is accepting the conditions imposed by the Lie. That... That I will grant you. There is another side to this you might wish to consider, however. Relying too much on the Sight is a crutch, not a sign of Enlightenment. There are some things you do not need to see... All the time. In addition, constantly having the Sight active will lead, inevitably, to complacency; and complacency will put you in a position where you let the Abyss in."

He paused, looked at the crumpled, crumb filled paper packaging of the cup cake with an air of despondency. He gestured with a finger as he continued.

"I am not suggesting that the more simple Spells draw the attention of the Abyss. Far from it. But loading oneself with the expectation that the Supernal is there, constantly at hand, and that there are no consequences for its use, will eventually cause you to draw upon more Potent magicks for everyday uses, which threatens your own integrity, and cheapens the Art as a whole. If I can See constantly and without effort - why bother to boil a kettle with electricity: save myself a power bill and run by home by mine own will! If I can See constantly and, say, am versed in the Space Arcanum, what is to stop me constantly opening Doors from place to place? Eventually I will make an error and then... the Abyss is through - and I will have caused it."

"It is not about limiting oneself. It is about discipline of self. It is about respecting the Art and the Awakening, for it is a gift not to be squandered foolishly."

There was no acrimony in Campanella's voice. He was enjoying this debate.

12. Likes , liked this post
    Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

Puck Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

Was the sight a slippery slope to complacency? Of course not. Then again, Campanella was speaking to someone who kept active Fate spells because he was to impatient to stop at a stop light for more then five seconds. Maybe Puck wasn't the best person to talk about discipline to...

"Maybe?" Was Campanella that scared of paradox? That was a question for when there weren't Guardians in the room. "But I don't think that restraining our access to the Truth is a path to enlightenment. At least not for everyone. Because really, who gives a hoot about utility bills and travel times? Why should mages in a cosmic war for the nature of reality and their souls need to worry about such trivialities?"

And if a little havoc or bedlam slipped in between battles? Worth it.

"I don't want to sound like I'm arguing, I'm just curious and torn at the same time. Because I think as mages we should look for every way possible to silence and resist the Lies of the Exarchs as often and intensely as possible. So when you say that you temper your use of magic to the point of even keeping a ritual sight up, I can't help but wonder how you resist the myriad of ways the world tries to weigh you down and distract you from finding the Truth."

Eyes fall down to the last bite of their shared indulgence, deciding to abstain just a bit longer.

"So may I ask, how do you resist the Lies of the Exarchs?"

14. Likes , Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

PRE

Campanella thought for a moment.

"First, by treating the Arcana with respect. I only cast when I need to. Every time I reach out with my Will and craft an Imago, I am channelling - no, touching! - the Supernal. When I do, I am as much in the Realm of Stygia as a I was during my Awakening. To draw down the Supernal is sacred. Second, by knowledge - more specifically, knowing the Truth. I am wealthy, but ultimately that money is so much zeros and ones on an electronic server, somewhere; the objects are simply lumps of matter whose only meaning is that which I ascribe to them. I listen to the news and tune most of it out because it is just the seductive honey of the Lie - most of the Sleeper world is. I interact with it knowing that it is little more than a paper prison, which I cannot easily escape."

"I seek the Supernal is the folds and the cracks of the Lie. I cultivate patience, to that very end, so that I might cut through the clutter without relying on the Supernal too much - for that too, would be a crutch."

"I have been lucky; my Sleeper career lets me keep an eye out for the Supernal in the everyday. Some of us are not so lucky."

He scratched at his chin, thinking again.

"You speak of resistance. How, then, you resist the pervasive Lie? How do you resist intensively? You can't think it away. You can't ignore it. You have to take a 'day job' I am assuming. Using your Arcana to escape the humdrum payment of bills and rents... well, unless you are very skilled, that itself will leave a paper trail that Sleepers - or worse, the Seers - will see should they look.

16. Likes , Aeolus liked this post
Closed Thread