Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Dropping Bodies: Quinn's latest meal

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Jennifer Hazelton

@Quinn was walking away from the scene of her feeding. The urchin surely was recovering from her attentions when something moved in the corner of her eye. Even as she turned, the motion vanished. Supernaturally quick.

What could be that fast? The teaching of her Sire reminded that Mekhet and Daeva both could fuel their stolen blood got speed. Quinn was staring at a cluster of overflowing trash cans, a discarded crumpled cardboard box that moved slightly in the wind.

The road was quiet, now. Nothing of human size moved. She could hear the sounds of foraging, a small animal near the trash bins. In the nearest street, the sound of a car driving, faint music playing. The sounds faded.

Some places resist the natural pull to be inside with the windows locked when darkness overtook the city. Some people had no windows to lock, no safe haven, and made the streets their home. As she looks for the quick moving something, she can hear the creaky rattle of poorly maintained wheels coming from behind her.
    They were moving toward her victim, as best she could place where she just fed. These streets did not sleep well. Surely it was time for distance from her victim.

No doubt the average person would assume that the urchin, the thief who stole from the dead, was sleeping one off in the only place that they could.

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn didn't instantly assume Kindred in the situation, even though it was obviously a possibility. A cold knot formed in her gut as she vaguely wondered about the stories David had told her of the Hollow Mekhet. The ones whose shadows detached from them and wreaked havoc all on its own. Is my shadow still here, it is, okay. Fuck my goddamn life. Oh shit. That scared the shit outta me.

Quinn moved quickly and quietly to exit the alley and get away from the woman she just fed from, those squeaky wheels of a cart would only get closer. Getting busted in a fucking alley wasn't exactly top on her list of things to fucking do tonight, but there it was. That's what I get for slumming it outta guilt. Damnit. No good deed goes unpunished.

Jennifer Hazelton

Her shadow is definitely present. How does she compose her face? Is she walking quickly away from her crime?

As Quinn exits the alley, she can hear scuffles. The sound by the trash can has ceased. The creaking wheels have stopped. Someone coughs near a doorway in front of her.

The sound of a commotion near Quinn's victim rose in volume as a phlegm affected voice shouts
    " Call the cops! Flag, call 12! Jana's dead over here!"

The coughing sounds in front of her reveal a bedraggled man with rumpled hair and dark blue sweat pants, wearing a long sweater and puffy sweater vest as he glanced to Quinn. His gaze is drawn down the alley to she of the creaky wheels, the likely one raising the alarm. A prepaid phone is drawn out as he starts to enter a number.

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn made her face wide eyed and slightly pained, letting her hair fall in her face, concealing her features, sticking to the shadows. She reached up and cupped the back of her head, as if slightly hurt or dazed.

She turned a little back towards the voice announcing the death, and let the shock of the news show on her face.
    She looked up at the man then, and pulled our her CI identification, and flashed it. She did work with the cops after all.
    "Let me call it in, you guys may wanna get outta here, you know? Cops aren't that friendly to street folk, and I fear I have more info than you two after hitting my head back there. Asshole practically ran right through me..."

Quinn thought on her feet, she wanted to get rid of them, and no cops. She could dispose of the body herself. Sewers were great for that. Shove them down there, and light them on fire. No one is the wiser.

Let me know what rolls you want me to make!

Jennifer Hazelton

"Street folk?" The man says, articulate. "Nah. Jana's our friend." The call goes through and the man rattles off the cross streets first. Odd, seems like he's well versed in reporting things.

Near the body, Quinn can hear the other woman who found her victim breathing heavily and rustling sounds. There's emotion as she huffs "Who did this to ya, girl?" A short, heavy set Latina woman hustles into sight, wearing a few layers of clothing. She wears it well. Her face is flushed, her eyes welling with tears. She shakes some sort of aluminum can in her left hand in a sort of repetitive pattern. She sees the man Quinn spokes to and speed walks over, saying a few things under her breath that don't quite make sense. Her watery brown eyes begin to focus on Quinn.

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

"I'm sorry for your loss. I'm gunna get to the urgent care before they close, I doubt my boss will even accept 'concussion' as an excuse these days."

Quinn made a mental note to follow up with the police later and give a statement and see what information she could dig up at the precinct. She had already checked out the local pawn shops in the area to see if "Jana" had been selling the things she stole from the graves. It gave her a reason to be in the area. She wasn't worried about the police at this point. She was worried about about what killed the woman she just fed from, when she was left just fine and alive by Quinn herself.

As she left the alley she wondered if there was a pattern of kindred feeding, and their marks falling to death. It was possible this had been going on for awhile and no one noticed. Quinn stopped at the Urgent care and got an xray, showing off her feigned bruising and getting scripts. Having a solid pattern of behavior was important after all.

7. Likes liked this post

Jennifer Hazelton

The strangers accept Quinn's departure wordlessly, consumed with their own troubles regarding their dead friend. Quinn's evening progresses quietly and she exits the Urgent Care at about an hour to dawn. Urgent Care had been a bit slow. As she moves away from the hospital, she hears the soft foot steps behind her. Very light. Very far from her by the slight, soft sounds, but matching her own movements. What does Quinn do?

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn did not turn, did not look over her shoulder, did not slow or quicken her pace. Instead she augmented her sense of smell and hearing, listening and trying to scent the air and get a sense of this bastard. Footsteps were not the work of a hungry shadow, so her worst fear scenario seemed unlikely now. Though it was still frightening to think that someone was dogging her this hard. She slipped her smartphone from her pocket and and pulled up the Uber App. She ordered a compact car to pick her up outside of a bar a few blocks up, and had it take Quinn to an Air BNB house she often rented when dealing with humans. It was close to the Cemetery where her true haven was. Her plan was to Uber away, then double back a few blocks on foot and slip into the Mausoleum before dawn.

Normally Quinn would have faced this menace, but it was too close to dawn. It was time to run and live to fight another night. She would not lead this faceless bastard to the Chapter House where JC and Dirt Nap were, nor would she lead him/her directly to her haven. Let's see if this interloper could keep up with a car.

Jennifer Hazelton

As Quinn makes her arrangements on her phone, she is aware that silence has overtaken her. The soft sounds of conversation from the two smokers at the assigned smoking area drifts over to her. Yet from where she had placed her stalker, nothing. Absolute silence. No sounds of moving away or of pursuit of her. As the car arrives to take her to her rented Air BNB, Quinn hears nothing following as she enters the car. It would appear that whoever was following her simply hid right in plain view behind her.
    Waiting. Watching her ride off into the night.

As Quinn departs her rented house and looks about, there is no sign that someone has been here. As she utilizes her skill in listening, she hears nothing. No foot steps. No respiration of mortals or creatures observing her. Perhaps whatever had followed her was defeated by the drive to the Air BNB. She feels confident enough that she leads nothing back to her Haven.

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn goes to her real haven in the Mausoleum. As she lay down for the day she was puzzling through the night, already planning to see what she could dig up from her contacts within the police department. Particularly what 'Jana' had died from.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread