Mantle (Autumn)
    (Shadows, heat and ringing metal)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK
    A shorter, barrel chested man with a thick beard.

MEIN
    A 'dwarf' with burned, scorched, and scarred skin.

PRE

Smith

Autumn had come. The heat of summer lingered, resisting still the advance of the year; but the shift in season could not be denied. The warmth of the day was challenged now, teased by the cooling breeze that churned through the trees now advanced in their autumnal hues. Red. Orange. Yellow. Brown. The colours flecked the trees, making their boughs a mottled constellation rather than a uniform green. As the wind blew, so they rasped and rustled in their branches.

And fell to earth.

Funderland was surrounded by parkland. Anatole the burned Wizened Smith clung to the trees and meandering lanes. He studiously avoided the sporting fields where the mundane folk still played, enjoying the last of heat. He wore his scuffed shoes, his slacks, and a chequered shirt with the sleeves rolled up. A mismatched suit jacket was slung casually over a shoulder and he carried a bottle of ginger beer.

For all appearances, the dwarf was simply taking his ease.
    Gerrit Aeolus

New Identity
    (Gerrit Jameson)
    Gerrit

Mien:
    Leathery scars, bruises and scaly scabs cover the whole hairless body. There is a certain symmetry to the disfigurements, the color of the visible skin ranging from pale pink to purple and dark red. Lately patches of dark blue and black - frostbite - have appeared on his skin and some of the scabs have frozen over and crystalized.
    His right hand shows a copper-coloured, wilted and flaky scar, engulfing most of his palm and the inside of his wrist. Next to frostbite and bruised scars it adds a third layer of wounds bore by the Ogre.

Mantle:
    Contrast seem to grow slightly more stark around Gerrit, the crisp clearness of a winter morning. Sometimes the sound of ice forming or breaking can be heard in a short, brisk snap. When using Contracts a subtle, biting cold can be felt around Gerrit - pins and needles prick both the Onyx and those close to him.

Crown:
    Solid, thick panes of clear ice symmetrically arranged around his head with fern frost at the base.
    Active Pledges

Motley Pledge

Only a result of 10 on a die is considered a success. Should a given die result in no successes, the failure is considered to be a dramatic failure, though the oathbreaker may spend a point of willpower to negate this, making it a regular failure.
    -Until Oct 5th.

PRE

Stonebones Snowskin

There was something about autumn - Gerrit couldn't quite put his finger on it. Maybe it was the golden quality the light takes on now and then, maybe it was the way the leaves performed one last dance in the wind before falling to the ground. And maybe you're just being too romantically melancholic for your own good.

Could be true. As a matter of fact, the Ogre tried his best not to stay alone too long with his thoughts. Having a roommate was good, but often enough there were times where the apartment seemed too small and the city appeared to bury him in anonymous loneliness.
    The reason why he reached out to Anatole ran deeper, though. Gerrit wanted to get in touch with members of the other Courts and the Wizened's appearance told Gerrit a story of pain not unlike his own. If the situation allowed it, he wanted to confirm (or - more likely - deny) the similarity he assumed.

He wore his brown windbreaker, a dark scarf, some jeans and a black baseball cap - just some guy taking advantage of the autumn sun. Gerrit spotted the Wizened, took a moment to scan his surroundings and approached him. When Anatole noticed him, Gerrit gave him a nod and a slight smile. "Hello Anatole. How are you?"

Mantle (Autumn)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK

MEIN

PRE

Smith

Anatole's customary sneer softened when the Ogre approached. He held up his ginger beer and gently shook the bottle.

"I have a drink. The weather is being kind and it is nice to get out and about under the trees."

The dwarf smiled - a motion that leant the wizened a cat-like appearance given the shape of his moustaches and the texture of his fluffy beard.

"You found me then."

Anatole drank from his ginger beer and then gestured toward a spot where they could sit under the trees and out of view.

"I saw you at the Coronation feast. Not that I was in the best of shape to do much. I guess you have some questions, then."

Up close, the dwarf was able to see the lattice-work of scars and scabs much more clearly. If he wondered about the possible similarities of their Durance, he did not say it; instead he gave the Stonebones a studious glance as he examined the Ogre's mein while they talked. Anatole had heard from the other Onyx that the Ogre was of their Court, but it took him a while to pin down Gerrit's subtle mantle.

New Identity
    (Gerrit Jameson)
    Gerrit

Mien:
    Leathery scars, bruises and scaly scabs cover the whole hairless body. There is a certain symmetry to the disfigurements, the color of the visible skin ranging from pale pink to purple and dark red. Lately patches of dark blue and black - frostbite - have appeared on his skin and some of the scabs have frozen over and crystalized.
    His right hand shows a copper-coloured, wilted and flaky scar, engulfing most of his palm and the inside of his wrist. Next to frostbite and bruised scars it adds a third layer of wounds bore by the Ogre.

Mantle:
    Contrast seem to grow slightly more stark around Gerrit, the crisp clearness of a winter morning. Sometimes the sound of ice forming or breaking can be heard in a short, brisk snap. When using Contracts a subtle, biting cold can be felt around Gerrit - pins and needles prick both the Onyx and those close to him.

Crown:
    Solid, thick panes of clear ice symmetrically arranged around his head with fern frost at the base.
    Active Pledges

Motley Pledge

Only a result of 10 on a die is considered a success. Should a given die result in no successes, the failure is considered to be a dramatic failure, though the oathbreaker may spend a point of willpower to negate this, making it a regular failure.
    -Until Oct 5th.

PRE

Stonebones Snowskin

The Ogre took the invitation and sat down. The day was beautiful, even more so in contrast to the two disfigured Lost on the grass. "Yeah, for what it's worth this Freehold seems manageable in its numbers - although we didn't have the chance to chat it seems. You seem to be doing better?"

He was stalling, but he wasn't sure yet how to approach the topics on his mind. Anatole seemed like the kind of person who didn't like beating around the bush, but you could never be too cautious with stories about then, especially out in public. Gerrit was silent for a bit, watching a few children playing hide and seek. If he noticed the Wizened's scrutiny he wasn't showing it.

When he spoke again, his voice seemed more hesitant and he still wasn't looking at Anatole. "Questions... I guess. How did you get here, I mean what's your story?" He thought it had to be rather tiresome to keep rewarming old tales - he had to tell his often enough in the last few weeks - but he figured that was probably also a part of dealing with all of this. If not for the others, then at least to make some sense out of his life and where Sacramento fit into it.

Mantle (Autumn)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK

MEIN

PRE

Smith

The dwarf sat heavily and gave a contented sigh, looking up at the dappled light and red-gold canopy above their heads. The comparatively light shadows were sufficient to suggest his Autumn mantle: they pooled under him and clung to the recesses in his skin and the folds in his clothes. If he had been under candlelight, the effect would have been quite baroque.

"I ... uh ... found some powerful healing. Thats what I did."

The smile vanished, replaced by the sneer, which became a snarl and then softened into some much more calculating. To buy himself some more time, Anatole drank from his ginger beer.

"Questions, huh? I got here by bus. Jumping on one bus, then another, until my cash ran out. I was going nowhere in particular - anywhere away from where I started out. The cash ran out here. So I stayed and started trying to build a life. Well... A half life, really."

"Why move from my first Freehold. Well... That would be because I never felt part of anything. I was always on the outside, even when I was being shown the ropes of our life. Plus I disagreed with some of the Freehold's ideas. So I moved on. They gave me a place to stay and sort my head out; but I owed them nothing and I didn't particularly like the implication that I did."

"But you. You want to know about what happened Over There. Well fine! I believe I was taken because of someone else's debt. Someone relatively close to me - can't prove it yet; maybe one day I'll have enough lore under my belt to make a guess. And when I do... Anyway. Minor details. I was put to work in the foundries making weapons for my Keeper's armies. Don't know for how long. Seems like years - lifetimes - I laboured at that forge, getting burned and blasted by hot metal, squeezed into ... into this!"

Anatole had started to gesture in curt, angry, motions.

"My Keeper was stupid and thought of me as a part of the scenery. When its eye was off me I started working on the chains that bound me to that fucking forge. I was never one for smithing or locks or mechanical puzzles... but I guess a lifetime in a forge making weapons of war can teach you things. Bit by bit I worked at those chains. Till I unlocked them all and slipped away. Thats how I got back."

Anatole turned his head toward the Stonebones. His mouth curled into a sinister smile.

"How about you?"

New Identity
    (Gerrit Jameson)
    Gerrit

Mien:

Mantle:

Crown:
    Active Pledges

Motley Pledge

-Until Oct 5th.

PRE

Stonebones Snowskin

While Anatole was talking Gerrit finally turned to him. The Wizened's demeanor in combination with the mantle made for a scary view. Then again, he was putting his finger in old wounds - the fact that he still told his tale looked like some kind of strength, bitterness, or both to Gerrit.

However, there didn't seem to be a connection between their Durance. Even if there was, what would have been the use of that information?
    When Anatole finished, the Ogre held eye contact for a Moment. "I'm sorry." Whether he was sorry for asking or that they had to go through this, he didn't know.

He looked away, back at the people enjoying the day in their blissful ignorance and suffering their normal people-problems. When he continued his voice was lower - barely above a whisper - but clear and hard.
    "I.. I guess I was unlucky. Or a project, or an example. I don't know. What I know is that he made me suffer through the worst time of my life again and again. He didn't talk to me, he just hurt me. How long I don't know, but I could give you an estimate of how many times he broke my bones. An awful many times. I got away because I killed him. It was easy." Gerrit looked at the Smith, doubt and fear making his eyes wider and his voice quivering. "Are they supposed to be killable, or am I being set up? That's something I'm asking myself since then." He took a moment to calm down and braced himself for the next part. The next part was the worst.

"When I got back I.. my life was stolen. And you know what? No one noticed, they were happy with the fake-me." He scoffed and looked at his feet. "I guess I didn't deserve them after all. The local Freehold was nice enough, but there was too much hurt there. So I bargained for a new start. And here I am."

Funny, how retelling the same story made it ever so slightly easier every time. He took a moment to let his story sink in a go through Anatole's again is his head. "So I guess you feel more welcome here? With Autumn? You did risk your life from what I've heard."

7. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Mantle (Autumn)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK

MEIN

PRE

Smith

Anatole followed the Ogre's gaze while he finished off the ginger beer. He was looking at the empty bottle, as if trying to work out what to do with it, when Gerrit continued in his low whisper.

"Thanks."

A silence followed. Anatole himself didn't know why he replied the way he did. Maybe it was empathy - recognising the Ogre and he shared a similar pain.

"Yeah. I tried to follow up with my family after I came back. At a distance - gossip magazines and so on. Spent money on a P.I. to get me a little more reliable information. None of them have noticed that my fetch... ah ha! Yeah."

He looked back at the Stonebones.

"You killed it? Now that is a rare thing. Maybe you got lucky. Maybe it wasn't your real Keeper - just another puppet. And you broke the script. You sure got a tale to tell."

Anatole made a wan smile.

"Its alright here. I enjoy my solitude and I enjoy what little company the Freehold offers. There isn't enough of us to be constantly in each other's face or pulling Pledges on each other all the time. Ha! Risk my life! Well... I guess. See... I figured that they were all talk about this Queen Anne situation. And a situation presented itself. Me doing what I did... It was the only way to get something done. Someone had to do it. I was kinda hoping that Iron Meg - who we went after; this Queen Anne's flunky - might teach me a lore about Autumn. In a way, she did."

New Identity
    (Gerrit Jameson)
    Gerrit

Mien:

Mantle:

Crown:
    Active Pledges

Motley Pledge

-Until Oct 5th.

PRE

Stonebones Snowskin

"So you just left? Do you regret not taking back your life?" Funny, the assumed similarities didn't hold up, but beyond that they did seem to share elements of their stories. And hearing of others who'd rather start anew than take back what was theirs was making Gerrit feel a bit better about his decision. "Are you going to solely focus on... you know, this new stuff now?"

The Ogre shrugged. "I guess you're right. There's no way to know and I don't intent to find out. Doubtful that it's a boast I plan to call a lot - I don't want people to think of me to be some kind of Fae-slayer." A smirk and a raised eyebrow. "You seem to fit that bill better."

He pointed at Anatole's bottle. "Do you want to get another one? Maybe elaborate a bit on what she taught you?"

Mantle (Autumn)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK

MEIN

PRE

Smith

"Left? Not about that. The old me lived a life of privilege. This stunted old dwarf couldn't even get close to the fetch that stole my old life. Maybe one day I can get back it. Most likely not. So I have to something else because moping over my loss isn't going to get me anywhere."

A snarl had entered his voice. He stopped.

"Focus on the new? Guess I have to. It beats trying to earn a living among them over there - the mediocrity and petty oppression is crippling. I'd rather live this fantastic life. But I'm not touching a forge again. Still, the Ash does give me a lot of options..."

"Fae-Slayer? Me? I think the others killed Meg. All I did was keep her in one place long enough for them to pile on."

The dwarf barked a laugh.

"Another drink. Sure."

Anatole's curly beard and moustaches formed a cat-like grin.

11. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    New Identity
    (Gerrit Jameson)
    Gerrit

Mien:

Mantle:

Crown:
    Active Pledges

Motley Pledge

-Until Oct 5th.

PRE

Stonebones Snowskin

A life of privilege, huh? His family did appear in gossip magazines he said. Gerrit considered to push further, but decided against it. Moping or no, there seemed to be some sort of feeling bottled up but it wasn't his place to tell others how to handle their losses.

"I guess that's a silver lining. You start out with basically no responsibilities once you've cut old ties - or had them cut for you." He paused for a second, looking to how that sentiment felt. The dwarf had a point about the moping, but Gerrit thought it was a natural and healthy thing to mourn. "Like how I can explore activities I actually enjoy. I got a job at a small flower shop. What do you do with your time?" As long as the bottle was empty the Stonebone's thought it was best to keep the conversation light - he also noticed that the question about Anatole's insights was left unanswered.

He got up with a grunt and offered Anatole a hand, momentarily forgetting any discomfort his skin might cause to others. "Do you know a place nearby?"

13. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread