Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(2010): Edward, Quinn, and Dirt Nap

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Oct 1, 2020 : (2010) Eternal Court
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Daeva Vice: Wrath
    Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

Quinn introduced herself, and were she not a Dragon, he would have introduced Dirt Nap. Edward didn't want to prevent any message being passed; that would be uncouth of him. Doubly so as Dirt Nap had to endure a similar event when speaking to Edward and Jennifer. When their introductions concluded, Edward addressed Dirt Nap.

"I was just commenting to Ms. Durant on the expanding ranks of the Dragons in Sacramento. Has their been a discovery?" It mildly concerned when there was an influx of a group as enigmatic as the Dragons. Edward trusted Dirt Nap, but he didn't trust the Secret Estate.

"Or perhaps I should go tap the most recent source," he smiled, turning to Quinn, "have you any ideas, Ms. Durant? Or has something beyond covenant business brought you to Sacramento?"

2. Likes Ruach, , pisces liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    New Identity Clayton Jordan Carter
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap nods first to Quinn Durant and then to Edward Heinrich. “Thank you, Ma’am. Dirt Nap says, “I go by’Dirt Nap’ myself. It’s the oldest and best name I got, but for respectable situations, I answer to ‘Clay’.” He offers. “I’m a Gangrel and Unchained Scholar of the Wild Hunger.” Dirt Nap’explains’.

Turning to Edward, Dirt Nap is still and silent for long minutes and then says, “I couldn’t say as I know of any special reason Mister Heinrich. I suppose it’s just the season for Dragons to come calling.”

4. Likes , pisces liked this post

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn glanced away from Edward a moment, to her Priscus and superior in the order, Horatio, when Edward mentioned his multiple attempts at acknowledgement. Curiosity made those mesmerizing hazel eyes of hers narrow a touch, as she caught what Edward was putting down. She'd bet good money Horatio hadn't realized he'd stepped wrong until he'd practically broken toes. So it goes.

Quinn'ssmile stepped up a notch, and she raised one dark brow and shook her head gently. "It is easy for those who have not spent time in a traditional court to stumble Mr. Heinrich, however; tea doesn't apologize for not being coffee, and it appears he has learned his lesson well."

Quinn looked to Dirt Nap as he introduced himself. She smiled mischievously before the Shadow spoke to him in turn. "I am a Slave of Equilibrium Tested and Renewed." Hopefully that wasn't to subtle.

She looked back and addressed Mr. Heinrich again, chuckling softy in obvious amusement. "I am so sorry to disappoint you Mr. Heinrich but my reasons for seeking a home here are solely my own. Nothing so potent as Covenant or even Clan business, though I am pleased to find I appear to have both here to keep me occupied. "

After pausing a few beats to regard them both she continued. "I was trusted and well respected in my last Domain, yet I found it a bit stifling to be with those who knew me before and after my embrace. Also I am afraid there was so much death and raids happening that my Covenant was all but wiped out. When no other Dragons came after years of peace, I chose to seek another domain." Rather than let my sire drag me into the First Estate. Hell with nepotism.

6. Likes , Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

"An intriguing metaphor, Ms. Durant." Edward's smile revealed nothing.

The introductions were, as Edward expected, entirely opaque to him. After speaking, Dirt Nap engaged in his signature silence, so Edward and Quinn filled it.

Edward's eyes crinkled with mirth as Quinn laughed, "I'll hold out hope for the next new face blowing in; and, may it come in on a wind of conspiracy."

His smile fell as she speaks of her latter reasons for coming to Sacramento, "my deepest condolences, Ms. Durant. I pray for this Domain's lasting quiet to endure throughout your tenure."

His mood shifted once more as Dirt Nap spoke, "Dragon season! Indeed, it would certainly seem so." A pause, he almost mentioned Lenora but decided against it. He didn't want to have to explain that if/when Quinn asked. So Edward defaulted to the old Invictus trick, to look for the best rather than the new.

"Ms. Durant, Sacramento has much to offer. If my asking is not too untoward," he offers a small, almost embarrassed smile, "which of the city's offers have you found most pleasing thus far?"

8. Likes , Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap nods as Quinn Durant speaks. He goes still and quiet when she introduces herself, his only reaction being a deep and profound lack of reaction.

"Well."
    Dirt Nap responds finally. "Good to see you, Ma'am. I hope you'll be spending some time up at the Chapter House."

"Speaking strictly for myself, mind you, I have found Mister Heinrich to be a pretty tolerant and forgiving sort when I confess my ignorance for manners outright and ask his opinion." Dirt Nap says in a sincere and earnest tone.

"I have found his advice to be real downright helpful."

Dirt Nap manages a chuckle when Edward Heinrich exclaims and declares it to be 'Dragon Season'!

He pays interest to Quinn Durant after Edward Heinrich inquires about her experiences in Sacramento so far.

10. Likes liked this post

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn enjoyed the minor show of stoicism Mr. Heinrich displayed at her quip. Her amusement evident. Her smile in place as they conversed in their little trio. She nodded her head in earnest to Mr. Heinrich regarding his condolences. Quinn's face fell to more neutral lines.

"I hope so Mr. Heinrich. Times of quiet allow for times of study, preparation, and some well earned frivolity."

Quinn couldn't help but chuckle at the 'Dragon Season' declaration. She found it rather amusing and entertaining. A glance at Dirt Nap and she was happy he seemed to have a sense of humor too. Definitely a plus.

"So far pleased to see that word travels fast, and already I have made contact with those in Emergency services. They are more than happy to work with me on an as needed basis. Same deal as down south. Being the pet psychic allows me to ask questions of every nature and they never think its weird or strange. So you can say I have that going for me. Also I can still service my existing clients from anywhere, so my freelance business is as stable as it ever was. Being in a larger city opens me up to new possibilities. With my allies in Government it shouldn't be long before some interesting contracts come up."

Even though it was Mr. Heinrich's question, she made eye contact with both the Kindred in front of her. Her manner was forthright, and warm. Her body language was open, arms at her side.

"I talk of business, so I feel not an iota of guilt of asking you yours." She informed Mr. Heinrich and Dirt Nap, arching one eyebrow expectantly, curiosity twinkling in her eyes.

12. Likes Ruach, liked this post

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

"You are too generous, Mr. Clay." Yet, Edward beams under the praise.

Across the room, the sombre rasp of his covenant mate set off alarm bells. He turned his head briefly, mentally wincing as he heard her finish, then gave Dirt Nap a look of sympathy. Hopefully, the night wouldn't end with Dirt Nap chasing Horatio into the Barrens, again.

As quickly as it left, Edward's attention returned to those before him. A psychic? Was she a con artist, or was there some discipline that allowed it? Maybe a trick of the Dragons? She hadn't really answered his question, but she didn't have to; it was just a way to keep things rolling, and she had kept it rolling well.

"I will keep your expertise and friends in mind, Ms. Durant. As for my expertise and friends, both lie firmly in the realm of cybersecurity."

His focus shifted expectantly over to Dirt Nap. Edward had heard a half answer once, and wondered if more would be offered this time. Not that Edward could complain, given how sparse his own answer was.

He looked to Quinn and easily projected genially: "I must confess my fascination, Ms. Durant. Your profession seems far more enticing as subject matter for discussion than my own. You must forgive me for shifting focus back onto it. I lacked possession of even the scantiest speculation that would have led me to imagine emergency services had psychics 'on call,' as it were. So, I find this quite the revelation. What was it that brought you into the field? And that job in particular?"

14. Likes Ruach, liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

"Ain't nuthin' but the truth, Mister Heinrich." Dirt Nap says soberly. "I tend to notice when I admit to being in over my head whether the advice I get seems to aim to help me out or push me down under."

He listens with evident interest as Quin Durant describes her livelihood. His intense interest borders on an impolite stare only mitigated by the obvious fact that he is unselfconscious and apparently unaware of the appearance of it.

"Well." Dirt Nap says, when she has finished and Edward Heinrich has shared a hint of his own skills in turn.

Dirt Nap does not follow the comment with a natural conversational sound, does not fill the awkward silence for a full minute.

Then, just as it might seem that he isn't going to say anything further, Dirt Nap speaks.

"I guess I'd ask you to tell me what I do, Ma'am, to prove you can, but you already revealed more than I ever knew about Mister Heinrich here." He says in a thoughtful tone. He wouldn't have guessed the apparently old school gentleman was a computer fella.

"Myself. I don't have the kind of solid paper to have much to do with the regular world and invoices and expense reimbursements. I sorta hang out at some places where they need help with their animals, off the books and aren't too picky about the hours as long as the work gets done. It's no way to get rich, but there's a few perks to balance it out." Dirt Nap explains.

"If you don't mind my saying, Ma'am, the Domain here is a mite protective of emergency workers of all stripes. Not that you'd indulge on the job, which I do, to be honest. Just that it is a particular concern in this here Domain, in case you hadn't heard already."

16. Likes pisces, liked this post

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn grinned at Mr. Heinrich, and laughed as he said her occupation was too interesting to pass on the conversation. She watched him closely as he spoke, and when he mentioned cyber security her smile took on a Cheshire cat look. Almost impish.

"My expertise is also in cyber security Mr. Heinrich, or rather, breaking it for the benefit of my fellow Kindred in court, and for certain mortals who wish to establish identities that pass all legal checks. Even police and government." She paused to let that sink in.

"I will tell you both a story now. Of how I became the psychic to the Police and others who know to seek me out. It was rather by accident I'm afraid. I went in for a penny, and ended up in for a pound. My sire always warned me about playing God, as he called it. Trying to alter Kine lives with Kindred magic would have unforeseeable consequences. It did. It bound me to humanity in away I didn't ever intend." She smiled slightly at the memory.

"I was trying to get an in into the government, back then. I met a woman who seemed pliable. She was also very very distraught over the loss of her father. A police chief. He was killed in the line of duty and it was believed to be an accident. She did not believe the official story. I toyed with the revolver and felt something open up inside of me, like an invitation. That if I applied my mind, I could understand something. I had been turning it over and over in my hands, and I pushed with the magic inherent in my bloodline, and I saw what really happened that night. I was so startled I told her without explanation, and she jumped to her own conclusions of my abilities. The legend was born that day. I was believed because those who murdered him weren't as careful as they thought, and my ...."visions" if you want to call it that, were accurate and led to their arrest."

Dirt Nap's interest did not upset Quinn. She smiled to him, watching him watch her. "I would show you, but using disciplines is not allowed in Elysia, but I'm sure the Chapter House would be a wonderful place for such a demonstration of power, no?"

18. Likes Ruach, liked this post

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

Edward smiled carefully as Dirt Nap indicated how little he knew about Edward. Presumably, the person who knew him best in the Domain was the Prince due to one conversation; that was how he liked it. Quinn did not seize on it, and Dirt Nap did not seem to be levelling an accusation, so Edward elected to let the matter go.

A lifetime of working closely with IT experts of all stripes left Edward completely unbothered by Dirt Nap's silences. He had been project lead with others possessing far stranger ticks than mere silence. He did smile, welcomingly, when Dirt Nap began to speak. Edward didn't think Dirt Nap needed the encouragement, but some habits were hard to beat.

The image of Dirt Nap as a wise farm hand fits like a glove to Edward's preconception. "Perks, Mr. Clay?" He inquires with interest.

"Well, well! Let us pray for our clients to never cross paths." Edward's attempt at magnanimity was betrayed by a touch of boyish excitement. "The last Shadow to leave the Domain, an unaligned by the name of Mr. Mitnick, had a similar specialty. Since his departure, I have unhappily been without an opponent for Core Wars. Have you heard of the game, Ms. Durant?" Edward offered his thinly veiled invitation.

Quinn's story was certainly an interesting one. Edward was astonished at how readily she admitted to the source of her power; he would never reveal the basis of his own abilities. Then again, his efficacy would be negatively impacted if his opponent knew how the power functioned.

"Have you ever been subject to suspicion because of your magics, Ms. Durant? I cannot imagine the Kine unanimously accepting the explanation of psychic endowment with ease." Edward recalled his own single run-in with a Hunter and mentally shivered at the memory.

Dirt Nap asked his question, and Edward's attention was briefly drawn to the Prince and Notary. Oh, dear. His gaze returned to Quinn partway through her answer, and he recalled her earlier metaphor. The Tea may wish to begin apologizing.

Edward doubted Dirt Nap had missed the events occurring such a short distance away, and it would be uncouth of him to draw further attention to them. The ranking member of the Dragons incurring the displeasure of the Prince was hardly business of his, and so his attention remained on Quinn.

"Might I be so forward as to ask for permission to intrude upon your demonstration, Ms. Durant?"

20. Likes , Ruach, pisces liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread