Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(2010): Edward, Quinn, and Dirt Nap

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Oct 1, 2020 : (2010) Eternal Court
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Is this a Daeva thing? Quinn listened to the answer Mr. Heinrich gave and resisted the urge to shake her head. She looked to Dirt Nap and shrugged her shoulders, making a little face that said 'he got me on that one too.' She herself was a little incredulous with the answer as well.

"No, Mr. Clay. I haven't heard of him or his firm for that matter. Cryptography is very lucrative, and the public key's certainly have room for a Firm's software to gain the type of success that would rank the Fame of say 'Microsoft.' I would say possibilities are there." Quinn's take on this was measured, and careful. As if she was being generous with her answer. It definitely left the impression that that would be the exception rather than the rule.

"Then again, I have to confess I avoid fame. Even my moonlighting as a 'psychic,' I have found ways to fly happily under the radar, as well as my extra curricular activities when it comes to cyber security, and of course the darker side of it: breaking it. Lucrative, yes. It will never make me famous." She paused and laughed a bit shaking her head in jest. "Infamous maybe, if I were to ever be caught, but thankfully even then I can easily drop my identity and pick up another one." She shrugged again.

2. Likes , Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Daeva Vice: Wrath
    Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

At Dirt Nap's first words, Edward raised his eyebrows. He would have asked why but knew Dirt Nap would continue if Edward was patient.

Edward nodded in reply to Dirt Nap's question and offered verbal elaboration for the second: "Indeed, Mr. Clay. Those who act outside of the law are ill-served by the attention we discuss. My work is wholly legal; as such, a reputation of formidability can do nothing but serve to entice potential clientele. Of course, I speak only to present a rationale regarding the search for fame, not a means towards its acquisition."

Edward smiles but does not laugh at the mention of 'Billy Gates,' "I should dearly hope I never reach further than the bottom rung of the ladder of fame Mr. Gates has scaled. I cannot imagine such a position being healthy for our kind."

Edward addressed the two of them with an apologetic smile. "To be more precise, I aim for name recognition within my field. And I must ask you to forgive me, for I am speaking of what is not yet reached, and that is rather ungentlemanly of me."

Did she just shrug? Feeling slighted, although his face did not show it, Edward addressed Quinn's comment by speaking to Dirt Nap: "Ms. Durant is far too charitable. No cybersecurity firm could ever expect to attain even one percent of Microsoft's brand recognition. Neither has my firm released anything public-facing worthy of mention. As it stands, I tend to nothing grander than a meagre lifestyle business."

"But enough business, it is inelegant to while away one's entire night with such talk. Will either of you be attending any interesting public events in the coming nights? I have been eyeing various theatre productions without having yet decided upon a particular."

4. Likes pisces, Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    New Identity Clayton Jordan Carter
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap nods in a neutral gesture of attention moreso than agreement in what Quinn Durant has to say. He is making it clear that he is not 'ganging up on' Edward Heinrich but only trying to understand.

Then he focuses on Edward as he speaks.

"Mister Heinrich, sir." Dirt Nap says, nodding as if acknowledging someone on the same team, "I believe I've heard some tell about 'black hats' and 'white hats', and you are saying you are of the second kind." He says slowly and thoughtfully. "If that's the case, I think I can understand where you're coming from."

6. Likes pisces liked this post

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn nodded to Mr. Heinrich's words. "Excellent. There is definitely a good bit of name recognition one can get as a solid Cryptography firm. A good reputation and some word of mouth." She paused a moment and smiled a touch noting how he talked more to Dirt Nap on the last.

"I confess to you both fame is a bit of a jarring subject for me. You have eased some of that for me Mr. Heinrich and I do appreciate the deeper explanation. I have to say when you first mentioned it, it alarmed me slightly." She nodded a bit. "It is my hang-up, and has nothing to do with you, personally."

She looked to Dirt Nap and Mr. Heinrich and thought a moment. "I would love to take in a Theatre production. I haven't done so in a very long time. I've had a lot on my plate work wise, but more than that I have my pet projects I am always tinkering with. One is to take art classes. I've taken a basic drawing class, but I really need to improve."

8. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Daeva Vice: Wrath
    Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

Edward confirms: "that is indeed what I am saying, Mr. Clay." Like most cybersecurity professionals, Edward had a dislike for the white/black hat terminology, but he wasn't about to bring that up.

"None the less, Ms. Durant. Please accept my apologies for causing alarm."

"A wonderful pursuit, Ms. Durant. Our great advantage of eternity finds itself clearest application in our search for mastery. I have had the great honour of knowing Cousin's whose skill in the arts was not only the result of immense talent but more critically: hundreds of thousands of hours of refinement with hands impossible to strike down with the ailments known to Kine." He adds as an afterthought, "carpal tunnel syndrome comes to mind." He thought about inviting her to a play but decided it would be too forward. Perhaps next time.

10. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    New Identity Clayton Jordan Carter
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap listens intently to Quinn Durant as she expresses some consternation about the idea of being famous for computer skills. And then Mister Edwards seems to confirm that he sees himself as The Law, like a famous Marshall, not worried at all about getting the kind of reputation to bring in every young gun to challenge him.

Then they both seem to talk about hobbies, like needle point an the like, but not really, acting on the stage or some such. He doesn't relate. His hobbies, such as they are tend to be life or death, and have to do with making permanent Changes to himself or learning some little bit of Occult that might help him better understand how to make permanent Changes to himself.

Dirt Nap chuckles softly to himself. He supposes he is exactly the type of person to be told he doesn't "get out" enough.

12. Likes liked this post
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
Closed Thread