Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(2007) A Story to End the Night

THREADID
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Daeva Vice: Wrath
    Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

"Beyond not minding, Mr. Clay, I shall enjoy listening. Please, go on." Edward mentally scanned his body, forcing the muscles underneath his well fitted and well-ironed clothes to relax.

2. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    New Identity Clayton Jordan Carter
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

"Well Sir, to my mind, I am not so much set on Change just for its own sake as holding true to something I am likely to lose." Dirt Nap begins with a nod to Edward, acknowledging his gracious interest. "That tends to bring in all kinds of different ideas I have about things, so I hope you can enjoy the story for its own sake, for the entertainment of it instead of taking any offense I don't mean to give by talking about things that might seem nonsensical if you took it a little too serious." He prefaces in a slightly apologetic, humble tone.

"Before my embrace, there was a man--forgive me please if I say some stuff I maybe mentioned before, Sir--a young man taking classes to be a preacher, or a missionary or some such; he hadn't really had it made clear to him exactly what yet, when he got sick with a cancer that wasn't fixable, that he couldn't beat. He fought it anyway, fought not just to live as long as he could no matter how poor the quality of it, but he fought to stay human through it, not to use any excuse to treat people poorly just because he was tired and dying and hurting or because they'd almost consider it a relief if he were to be unkind to them, because they pitied him and expected him to feel sorry for himself and were ready to join in feeling sorry for him too." Dirt Nap says in a soft, almost conspiratorial tone as if sharing a secret. "Now, I don't personally hold with the idea that I am that man; I believe I am a poor echo of him that fades all the time from the repeating, softer each day or year."

"Somewhere in there, the young man caught the eye of my Sire. My Clan has a thing about strength of different kinds and wanting to see the limits of it, I suppose. My Sire told me that he noticed how that young man fought, and what he fought for, and wanted to see for his own entertainment what that would look like in a thing like we are, Sir."
    Dirt Nap explains. "So, I have a stubbornness, I do admit, and it seems to focus on fighting the kind of fight I know I can't win, but that it feels important somehow to drag it out as long as possible."

Dirt Nap is quiet for a long moment.

Then he says, as if he had not just been silent for minutes on end, "I don't think to be 'good'. I just aim to fight being harmful as much as I can manage for as long as I can." Dirt Nap ponders. "I don't believe there's any reward for it neither. I actually believe the unvarnished Christian faith that that man did, that he was loved and chosen by God for heaven not because he was good or could be, but because God is good and is prone to show off a bit. God did more than right by that man, and owes me nothing for trying to be a true record of what the man was until the grooves flatten out, and I don't resemble him any longer."

Dirt Nap pauses and then says softly, "The thing is, I believe that man died and is gone to his reward, and I am just like the left over sheets and paper with the little pen tracks from the machine that kept his vitals until they stopped. I have the memory of it: the nurse calling the doctors, the mourners in the room, and the doctor calling it, pronouncing him dead and the time."

He is quiet again, not breathing and still. His eyes are open, but he seems not to see the room around him for a moment.

"Well." Dirt Nap says. "By my reckoning, that's where I came into the story, Sir. My Sire explained a little bit, not much as my Clan tends to believe in people finding their own way or not with a kind of not caring which way it works out, a testing I suppose. I mostly stuck to animals, and when I learned enough to know that couldn't last, I started looking for a way out of that, one way or another. My Sire knew about a Change that might be able to let me pick that fight, and I took it on and everything that had to come first. That led me here, eventually and I managed that Change, after a couple others and a bunch of other things that had to come first."

Dirt Nap watches Edward intently, the only real indication that he's finished the story, or at least finished the part of it that he intends to tell on his own initiative. From here on out, apparently, he intends to only respond to what Edward has to say about it, or ask about it.

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

"Of course, Mr. Clay. After all, true narratives are seldom linear. Rather than being nonsensical, I imagine it will be quite real." They were often opposites; everywhere he looked, that point was driven home.

Edward's eyebrows rose as Dirt Nap explored how he viewed his past self. It was an interesting bit of philosophy, and although Edward suspected the reasoning was quite different, the final result was the same. "If you will permit my interruption, Mr. Clay, I suspect you would enjoy the Invictus. Rather than hold tight to the source, we perfect the echo. Something to explore at a later time, perhaps, please, go on."

When Dirt Nap fell silent, Edward took the chance to wait. After a few seconds had passed, he turned his eyes upwards, enjoying the few stars that blazed bravely through Sacramento's proximal light. When the speech resumes, Edwards eyes fell to meet the Savage's.

And then Dirt Nap finished. Edward, matching what he felt was Dirt Naps pace, waited for perhaps ten seconds before speaking. "Do you see yourself as sick, Mr. Clay?"

5. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap ponders Edward's statement about the Invictus. "Well." He says.

After a long pause, Dirt Nap ventures, "I don't believe that I know much about the group, or what they believe." Then he says, "I'd expect the idea of what constitutes 'perfect' would have a lot of room for different ideas and goals. In my group, we tend to focus on methods maybe, more than actual goals, seeing as there's some encouragement for people to hold to their own goals in why and what they Study."

When he has finished, at least the first draft of his story, and is prepared to revise for clarity or expand based on a response from Mister Edward--his audience--the question comes, does Dirt Nap see himself as sick?

After a long pause, Dirt Nap answers, softly, "Sir, I don't claim to rightly know what I am, but I don't think 'sick' would be it. Maybe, 'died of sickness and the hospital staff just hasn't got around to clearing out the body to use the bed for a new patient yet' would be closer to how I see myself." He muses. "I haven't thought about that particular question, so I'd have to chew on it a while to see if I can put it better down the line." He offers.

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

"An intriguing metaphor, Mr. Clay." and an awfully passive way to view yourself. Edward felt he understood the Kindred a little better. He was glad he took the time rather than leaving immediately.

"Perhaps I will ask if your metaphor has changed once sufficient chewing time has passed. I, myself, shall chew on your comment regarding varying ideas of perfection. If you will allow my unrehearsed answer... No, nevermind that. I'm not cut out for improv." Edward laughed.

"Thank you for telling me that story, Mr. Clay. Your sincerity is refreshing. I have some distance to drive tonight, so I shall take my leave. May your nights be fruitful, Mr. Clay. Farewell."

8. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap nods. "I suppose what I have to say might best fit as entertainment more than deep philosophy." He says. "I guess I should maybe mention that for me, 'dead' isn't necessarily the end, as my outlook on things tends to pull between what I can see and touch, and what I have faith in past what I can see and touch. Right now, that means that while I would say 'dead' is my state based on my observations on things, I also believe that resurrection from the dead to something higher and better than before has been known to happen on occasion too."

He nods again when Edward bids him good night. "Thank you for your time, Mister Heinrich. I appreciate it."

Good to close any time! Thank you for the fun scene!

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

Edward departed after offering a small bow to the Dragon in parting.

Short but sweet scene

11. Likes Ruach liked this post
Closed Thread