Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last

Attribute (Presence)
    (Quiet listener)
    Aspect of the Predator
    Mask of Tranquility
    JC Smith

Cacophony Whisperer

PRE

JC’s hierarchy of needs had collapsed. The pyramid had been crumbling ever since he’d died until he decided to tear it down to its foundation and start over. It made things easier in a way. The Beast never moved past safety and right now, being concerned with physiological needs, put its desires and drives in sync with most of his. Establish a steady source of food and shelter. Most other needs on this level didn’t matter anymore. Didn’t drink water anymore. Clothes weren’t needed against the environment till later. Reproduction moved up the hierarchy as well. Air… JC breathed in for the first time in about an hour. It was almost funny how quickly you could get out of practice.

In any case, he was exploring one of the local homeless centers, Loaves and Fishes Friendship Park. It wouldn’t open till after dawn and closed before sunset, so not the best feeding grounds during the summer. However, JC was not there to feed, unless the opportunity presented itself. Right now information was of more value than blood from his potential victims. Where could he sleep through the day without the police stumbling on his “corpse”? What bridges provided shade no matter the time? Where did the drunks hangout? Any strange graffiti that might indicate claimed hunting grounds? If he wanted to survive he first needed a lay of the land.

If he got lucky maybe he would even meet a Kindred he could ask questions to more directly. If he got unlucky he could find himself being attacked for trespassing on the hunting grounds of a more powerful and psychotic Beast.
    Presence (Quiet Listener) 1 / BP1 / Mask of Tranquility

2. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    New Identity Clayton Jordan Carter
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

Flying over the city, an owl dips low over Friendship Park and seems to veer suddenly, as if surprised.

It is perhaps twenty minutes later that Dirt Nap treads cautiously though not particularly stealthily through the park, and seeing the figure who exudes the Beast he sensed before, he calls out softly.

"Evening. I don't think we met before. If you say it's none of my business, I'll must move along. This area is claimed and protected, though not by me in particular. Just so you know." Dirt Nap says softly. His Mask of Tranquility hides his own Beast, so he doesn't know how the stranger is going to react, and he prepares to back off fast if the situation calls for it, or to fight if necessary.

Sounds like you are open to a scene before Court? Apologies if you meant this as more of a glimpse like thing.

Attribute (Presence)
    (Quiet listener)
    Aspect of the Predator
    Mask of Tranquility
    JC Smith

Cacophony Whisperer

PRE

JC doesn’t exactly start but is a little surprised at being suddenly addressed in circumspect language. There’s no recognition from the Beast to indicate the watchful man is one of the undead. A ghoul perhaps? JC quickly addressed his worry. Things weren’t escalated just yet. He had come here to find information and this seemed like an opportunity. He would keep an ear out for potential masters, keep a little distance in case things went bad. That helped a bit. Enough to manage a wary smile as he code switched.

“Hi,” he took half a step forward, mildly testing the social distance the man was comfortable with “My name’s JC. I’m new to the city, so I doubt we’ve met,” His voice was soft and measured “but I’m happy to meet you...?” He left space for a response before continuing.

“You don’t have to worry. I’m not here to poach.” Though the Beast didn’t even know the meaning of the word “I’m looking to learn more about the city. Would that be something you or your… employer be willing to help with?” The feeling of risk remained but tempered by hope and necessity.

5. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap nods as JC takes a step closer, casually backing up just a little bit more that JC has advanced to more than maintain the distance. He doesn't seem unhappy, just establishing a boundary of sorts. He isn't interested in being within easy reach just yet.

He stares for a long moment in perfect silence and stillness, possibly not breathing at all. Then, abruptly he takes a breath and chuckles. "Well. We're a pair, JC. I go by 'C. J. sometimes, to tell the truth. That'll do for here and now, I suppose." He says too softly for any mortal ears to hear even they were on someone standing a lot closer than JC is.

Dirt Nap stares for another long moment. "I might be willing to help." He admits. "I have been known to do things like that on occasion. I don't rightly have an employer, but I got obligations and loyalties, like most folks I suppose, though I might hold to them more firm than some. Could you tell me in a roundabout way the reason why you're looking to learn more about the city? Mainly, is it for your ownself, fixing to move here, or is it for someone else wanting to know the state of things?"

Attribute (Presence)
    (Quiet listener)
    Aspect of the Predator
    Mask of Tranquility
    JC Smith

Cacophony Whisperer

PRE

JC raised his hands slightly and dipped his head slightly to the right shoulder at CJ’s retreat and came no further. No harm, no foul. He understood too close. The man’s apparent freeze response made JC think he might bolt but then came the chuckle. Though CJ’s voice dipped so low that JC had to send blood to his ears to his ears to understand. That sparked a bit of confusion. It would be normal to respond in kind. Which meant… CJ was likely Kindred. Or if fear was to be believed, was baiting him to increase hearing ten fold and then decimate with a shout or gunshot.

JC held in a sigh at the mental costs of interacting (even within himself) with vampire psychology. Fear and anger dominated everything. If CJ was Kindred, then it was JC that was lucky since the man would obviously have to know how to hide his Beast. While that left JC at ease, it meant the wary stranger was feeling either the urge to attack and part of him saw JC as an enemy to be destroyed. That was fair. It was part of his.. their condition.

“CJ for here and now then,” he replied with the same small smile and measured tone, though at least one eight the volume. Hand remained palms forward at just below chest level.

“I’m looking to learn about the city for myself. Maybe to move here. Depends how things are.” His voice remained almost a whisper. “I know standard procedures but everywhere is different.” JC lowered his hands a smidge. Obfuscation was the stereotypical domain of the Nos and Shadows. Nothing screamed Haunt, so Mekhet was more likely.

“Specifics like where and how I can go to introduce myself.”

He dropped his hands to his sides.

“And if there are any kill on sight rules I should know about before I do,” he whispered. It was a leap of faith to ask at all. The man could lie after all. Still, it was better to ask. It extended a small amount of trust to say out loud. Hopefully if the man was using Auspex he could confirm JC's feelings.

8. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap watches closely, stares even, when JC raises his hands. Looks like his habit isn't to go for a weapon. A man would likely at least pat a concealed weapon if it meant safety to him. It's just a hunch or a theory anyway, which might get a chance to be tested.

Dirt Nap nods again when the man answers just as quiet, even moreso. Good. Looks like we have an understanding of sorts. He tends to put a lot more faith in someones actions than their words. Speaking that soft was more a solid declaration than whatever might be said.

He listens as intently as before, appearing to hear just as well as when JC was speaking in a normal volume.

After another long pause, Dirt Nap nods and says, "You seem like a decent fella." He pauses again and says, "We could be related." He chuckles softly.

"I'm not the one to give out rules and such."

He is silent and then says, "You do gotta be careful where you eat, and what. There's a time and place where folks get together. It's a week or two off, and you had best be at one inside of two weeks of when you arrived here, or else step out well outside of town and come back closer to the time." Dirt Nap says. "Tradition counts here. And police, and medical folk and the like; we make sure they don't have any trouble."

"You could introduce yourself sooner, maybe, depending on if you have any relations up for the job here in town." He muses, ending on a slightly questioning tone.

"I am probably the worst one to really give the best answer to a lot of this; To tell the truth, I don't even like to sleep indoors, much less keep track of society and such."

10. Likes liked this post

Attribute (Presence)
    (Quiet listener)
    Aspect of the Predator
    Mask of Tranquility
    JC Smith

Cacophony Whisperer

PRE

Jc chuckled himself at being called a decent fella and related. Probably something to examine at a later date because it was soon followed by disappointment. Not one to give out rules? Time and place to get together but not saying where?!

JC reminded himself to back off. He was disappointed because he felt he was owed more. Yet this wasn’t his city. CJ could be suspicious too. Without knowing background the benefit of the doubt had to be given.

“Traditions I expected, and I’ll keep in mind public servants. However, I’m sorry to say I don’t know anyone locally. Except you just now. Bit of a savage that way.” The question wasn’t directly stated but it deserved an answer. Hopefully, the Gangrel weren’t black marked. But a Prince wouldn’t do that to a whole clan. Right? Well, no turning back at this point anyhow. One more step of trust.

“And two weeks is a little far out. If I were looking to not step on any big toes, how far out would I need to go?” He could of course just poach, lay low, and hope but it would be good to know.”

He smiled at CJ’s self-deprecation “I doubt you’re the worst. After all, I don’t see anyone else stepping up to explain.” That at least was truth. Even if they were dancing around each with words, this was more than he’d gotten over an entire evening of searching. For that he was grateful. "I'll owe you a favor if you could give me more specific directions to the get together, or how to spot signs of where to go." Maybe CJ was being vague as way of fishing. Even with a claim of not keeping track of society didn't mean a boon meant nothing. In fact it could mean more.

12. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

"Huh." Dirt Nap says after listening intently to what JC had to say. "I don't think a favor is called for, particular if you really are family." He says slowly. "I need to make a call. Could be we could get this cleared up tonight. Funny thing is, generally someone shows up who's supposed to be here, they have a name and a place already given to them." Dirt Nap ponders.

"Any how, if you don't mind my making a call?" Dirt Nap asks cautiously not reaching for anything yet.

Attribute (Presence)
    (Quiet listener)
    Aspect of the Predator
    Mask of Tranquility
    JC Smith

Cacophony Whisperer

PRE

JC couldn't help but quirk an eyebrow at being turned down for a boon. Was this man Gangrel? Even so. More confusing, he couldn't quiet parce the second statement. Someone supposed to be here? Name and place given? Either the domain had an oracle or there were signs he was suppose to know (that wouldn't be the first time) or...

Well now he felt stupid. Normally people arrived with info ahead of time. That was kind of worrying. He made mistakes before and didn't want to start off a new life messing up again. Still, it seemed unreasonable to expect everyone to arrive via recommendation. Then again, everywhere was different in the specifics.

"I'll admit a little trepidation at calling in someone else," how could he not "But if it help clear things up tonight I'd appreciate it."

15. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

"No offense, I just don't want to take advantage of a situation for doing something I would do anyway." Dirt Nap explains, apparently noticing the eye brow raised.

"So, I believe I should ought to give you some information and ask you what you want to do." Dirt Nap says. "Thing is, right now the head of our family also happens to be in charge of the whole outfit, and general I wouldn't bother her unless there was a big problem." Dirt Nap explains. "But if I call someone else, going outside the family, that could get you off on the wrong foot too."

Dirt Nap ponders silently and then says abruptly, "If it were me, I would wait until the next time everyone was together, wait outside the domain in the barrens." He says abruptly. "But then, I am not one to be in a hurry, and I am pretty comfortable outside the city. So you decide, the faster more risky way or the slower, smoother way."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread