Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch
Metagaming vs Style

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Okay... I want to write a thing. Various people have engaged me privately to discuss a topic and I think it deserves to be aired out and examined from different angles.

The core of it is a 'reader response' style of writing that I've mostly seen with LiveJournal RP -- but has been gaining traction and growing in popularity. Basically, it engages the reader directly:

Writer A:

Star wondered why Avis was looking at him like that, but didn't bother to ask. Post continues...

Writer B:

Star wouldn't have to wonder long because Avis wasn't known for her patience. "Yo..."

The problem arises from two different perspectives.

Here, on nwod, we play with rules and have pvp. It's not an entirely partnered-up, collaborative process. Meta-gaming is a huge thing. We've also had our fair share (and will probably continue to) of people who are either trolling or choosing to pad their replies by digging into other people's narration. The second one is important because we should probably admit that there's an immediate knee-jerk reaction that might be out of proportion.

The LJW (LiveJournal Writer because I don't know what to call it) on the other hand, considers it a stylistic choice that's engaging and popular. And it is. I've seen it elsewhere. It's common, and considered 'good' writing. They don't consider it meta.

I think it's important to present both viewpoints to make it clear that I don't think it's malicious, and they may not realize what they're doing or what the fuss is. It's just a bad intersection of what we're used to and what has gained traction elsewhere. The big check points should still remain the same --

- Is it meta used for an advantage or thought snark out of maliciousness/trolling?

While the idea of someone writing at us or digging into narration isn't one that some people like, I'm not sure the alternative of dictating writing styles is entirely harmless -- even when it is technically meta. My gut feeling is that it should be seen with the best of intentions and only dialed in on if it fails one of the above conditions. Conversely, people choosing to run with this style need to do their due diligence to make sure that it doesn't and acknowledge/be aware that if it does, it won't be protected as a stylistic decision.

I'm not singling anyone out or naming names -- and just trying to put this out there for everyone to consider. Of course replying to the thread will probably out anyone as being on one side or the other, so give that some consideration.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Kaze
    Matt Joule
    Dirt Nap
    Alfonso Franco
    Kaze

Striking Looks (Fit and Healthy Glow) 2
    Matt Joule
    Dirt Nap
    Alfonso Franco

So, just to be really clear (cause I need that, sorry), we're talking about responding to character's posted thoughts in our character's thoughts, right? We are NOT at this time talking about when someone posts their character actually talking out loud about another character's thoughts?

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

So, just to be really clear (cause I need that, sorry), we're talking about responding to character's posted thoughts in our character's thoughts, right? We are NOT at this time talking about when someone posts their character actually talking out loud about another character's thoughts?
    Example?
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

4. Likes Ruach liked this post
    Kaze
    Matt Joule
    Dirt Nap
    Alfonso Franco
    Kaze

Striking Looks (Fit and Healthy Glow) 2
    Matt Joule
    Dirt Nap
    Alfonso Franco

Okay, sorry to be giving an example of what I think we are NOT talking about, but if instead of:

QuoteQuote:
    Writer A:

Star wondered why Avis was looking at him like that, but didn't bother to ask. Post continues...

Writer B:

Star wouldn't have to wonder long because Avis wasn't known for her patience. "Yo..."

It was,
    QuoteQuote:
    Writer A:

Writer B:

Avis says, "I know you are wondering why I am looking at you like that...."

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

There's not a blanket answer. It's situational, depending on the writers, whether cues were given or not, etc.

7. Likes Ruach liked this post
+ Reply to Thread