Oath's Bastion
    Presence
    (Genial)
    Tiny

Honor 2
    Wisdom 1

PRE

"All Rise."
    Matthew stands, along with the rest of the courtroom. Habit has him hold his tie so it doesn't flap like a wind-chime in the breeze. Presentation is critical from the moment the Judge steps in, especially for this case. Helping his mom's friend's cousin wasn't his favorite thing to do, but this was supposed to be an easy case.
    The judge sits, and everyone follows. Including what seems to be the worst karma onto Matthew's shoulder's.

It took five minutes for Jonathan, his client, to be threatened with contempt. Sticking your tongue at the judge is rude. Miming a sex act complete with noises while doing so?
    Matthew nodded his head again for the third time, "Yes your honor, I will advise my client to keep his mouth shut unless he has anything pertinent to say."

Matthew made the calculation and at his urging, got his client to agree not to testify himself. That kind of behavior meant that all of the prep work they had done was probably forgotten.

Then things got worse after the lunch break.
    Ten minutes in and the juror who he thought was sympathetic to his client started vomiting blood.
    His replacement was a holier than thou hardass who couldn't stop clenching her pearls with every statement by the prosecutor.

Matthew was a patient man. But being patient and watching a watertight case slip through his hands would drive any man into morose despair.
    Then the witness with the exculpatory statement stumbled her way to the witness stand. Her eyes were bloodshot, she had a smile on her face, and smelled like she fell in a vat of grape juice. Matthew spoke slowly, easing her in to all of his questions, pleased with the fact he could get the rehearsed answers out of her. However, even he knew it was merely a paper tiger. The prosecutor needed only one question, and it was the first one he asked.
    "Ma'am, are you drunk?"
    "uhmmm, Yes."
    "No further questions."
    Matthew was never a very despondant man, so emotion turned outward into rage.
    It may have had something to do with Jonathan using his head as an arm rest. Five times.

He didn't even get to the breakroom to drink a cup of tea before he was called back. Had the jury even sat down during deliberation?

"Does the defendant have anything to say?"
    "Yes your dishonor. I reject your authority, i reject your laws, but most all, I want to say my attorney was shit and is an embarrassment to his mother."
    Matthew doesn't 'see red' or 'black out'. The room becomes almost crystal clear, the cold rage in him just makes everything so perfectly clear, so simple. He turned towards his mouthy, thankless, scum of a client, and decks him. Its a textbook perfect punch, he shifts his weight forward perfectly, the elbow rotation is the precise amount, the angle on the jaw exactly as the sensei demands. Jonathan collapses onto the table, head cracking a second time on the cheap wood, before he slips to the floor, laughing the whole while.
    Matthew pulls his flapping tie back into his suit and walks out.
    What surprises him in the mail is not the notice of a formal inquiry by the Bar (that had been expected), but the hastily scrawled postcard, mailed from a half hour walk away.
    Attachment 5599
    "Heard about it.
    Good punch.
    Love Mom."
    Last edited by Tiny; Jun 19th, 2020 at 06:03 PM.  Reason for Edit: typos
    Elodoth | Storm Lord | Primal Urge 1
    Grapes [/] [] [] [] [] [] [] WP (6/6)

2. Likes Kelreth, Yumyumcrow, liked this post

Matthew
    Oath's Bastion
    Presence
    (Genial)