Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
(Hunter Hunted) Tracks

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
    Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Dry Creek cuts a ragged line across the northern and north-eastern suburbs of Sacramento. Barely a stream for most of the time, this little waterway flows into the American River just east of the central business district. This little channel, which sometimes splits into two meandering streams, is prone to flooding, and few urban planners would want to build so close to a potential insurance claim. Dry Creek has survived the growth of the city and become a tiny conduit of wilderness pointed towards the city's beating heart. The length of Dry Creek is narrow expanse of trees and wild undergrowth that passes through municipal parks and carefully tended bikeways; sometimes it verges on farmland; sometimes it spills into waste ground where cheap storage facilities stink in the heat and the haze. The nature here is closed in, trapped, sometimes tended, but never fully tamed.

And in stretches like this, in the nebulous hinterlands beyond old McClellan Airport, between urban farms and the space between urban developments, one might be able to find the illusion of the wilderness. If one is willing to ignore the signs of human habitation: a vine encrusted shopping trolley, a buckling old fence mouldering in the summer heat, a dulled growl from a road not too far away.

Its not like people come this way often - where the ground is wet and spongy; where water pools under a thick canopy; where the grass is tall, wild, succulent, and above all, sharp.

But all is not right here. In this wild place where birds sing and cicadas screech their dirge, there is only silence.

Nature knows.

A predator has come this way.

@Guru Shane Avis Cayce LadySin Skye your adventure begins here. Please indicate Active Spells and equipment in your posts.

Please enjoy.

2. Likes liked this post
    Striking looks
    (Alluring)
    Presence
    (Calming)
    Dexterity
    (Flawless movement)
    Skye

Nimbus:
    A flowering of wildflowers accompanied by their scent and the sounds of a calm wind dancing over the sea. The more vulgar the spells, the meaner the magic the stronger the winds, the flowers blooming only to quickly decay and spread the scent of death with them.
    Appearance

Standing 152.4cm tall, her hair color changing on a regular basis, usually braided but not always.

Her body seemingly quite petite and small but upon closer inspection so is it unexpectedly sturdy, her left arm well trained with more defining muscles than her right arm.

Rarely seen without an armguard and archer glove on her left hand.

Each and every movement always precise, rarely if ever wasting any more effort than needed to achieve her desired result.
    Equipment
    Battle

+1
    SL
    PRE

Spells
    Honing the form, dex+3 (pot3)
    Body control +3
    Organic Resilience 2E monthly pot2

Arriving for the meeting spot ready to meet up with the others that would be coming, taking her time to prepare herself with enhancing spells after having checked that no one is around or can see her. Muttering a bit as the spells doesn't get the desired strength letting them go and redoing it over and over again before finally looking satisfied with her results.

Using the time whilst waiting for the others to go over her equipment, stringing her bow and placing her arrows in the quiver not fearing that she will get into any major trouble for it here. The bow is both legal to carry and there isn't exactly any areas around that would be classy enough to have special guards ahh this was a rather nice place, not truly the woods she loved but at least far closer to it than the city.

spells

Equipment:
    Bow and quiver (including arrows)+bow carrying case
    Armguard + archer glove
    Throwing knives X10 - in holders.
    Zippo lighter
    Phone
    Waterskin - 1L filled with water
    Dedicated magical tool

4. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

It's a dangerous thing stepping out your door. You never know where the road will take you.

Yeah, maybe for someone who hadn't seen beyond the lie of the road itself, for someone who wasn't an Intervallutrix. She'd just put on her eyes, and away she went.

Avis knew exactly where she was going, and that was this liminal space between the city and the wild. A place where, hopefully, she wouldn't run into anyone. A place where she could smoke, write some lyrics, and think about what it meant to be back. And, more importantly, what the oath that she wore around her finger meant. She'd been dangerously close to fucking it up, and in the few years since, she hadn't done anything to repair it. Sure, traveling the world had given her a new perspective of sorts, but what she needed was knowledge of the world inside, not without.

But then there was this Katniss Everdeen wannabe (yeah, so she'd seen the movies, go fuck yourself).

Avis announced her presence by whistling the four tone Hunger Games tune, although the smell of acrid smoke, and the crunch of brush beneath her combat boots also did a good job of indicating where she was. She had black military surplus pants held up with a leather belt, and a a grey hoodie, with her hair tied back in a simple braid.

"You know, your hair probably scared away all the birds. What are you doing out here, anyways, glowing like a Himalayan salt lamp?"
    the Talon asked, doing her best imitation of a scowling chimney.

Omnivision pot 1, Spacial Awareness pot 1

Equipment + Spells
    River Ring!
    phone (see below)
    belt (see below)
    Chalk, pens, notepad
    Lighter
    Cigarettes
    Doubleshaped Belt/Quiver (pot 5, cloaked, indefinite)
    Phone/Bow (pot 6, cloaked, indefinite)
    Mental Shield and Untouchable (2e), combined, month long. Pot 2 + 3.
    Omnivision (pot 1) and Spacial Awareness (pot 1), combined.
    Spell Accumulation: 4/7
    Spell Tolerance: 2/3
    "Aw-Vee". Pres 2 (Moody). Mastigos, Adamantine Arrow. Trace of a Cajun accent.
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

6. Likes Yumyumcrow, liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Sculpted)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Presence
    (Cheery)
    Allies
    (Criminals)
    Guru

Nimbus:
    Appears like there's a filter that blurs his image, the background suddenly more lush and vibrant than it once was. Tendrils of vines slowly edging their way to the borders of that veil.

Monthly Spells:
    Pulse of the Living World: Pot-3
    Organic Resilience Pot -3
    Evidence Shroud Pot: 3
    Scene Trackers

Curtain Call:

PotLW/Sense Life (2/2)
    Org Res (5)
    Evidence Shroud (4) L+M
    Spell Limit: 3/6
    Spell Tolerance 3/3

(Gain Skill)Mana 1 Spent
    +1
    SL
    PRE

"I don't know I'm here cause the balance has been disturbed. Nature has a pattern and something is off. Too quiet..."

He knelt by the stream bed, if you could even call it that and looked at it trickle and flow to join the river and then the ocean. That was the way of things, that was how the Lie was constructed. His fingers running through the bed, rolling the dirt between his fingers. He could sense the grass, the overgrowth but beyond that...nothing.

He shook his head, something definitely wasn't right here. Only time animals usually vacated an area en masse like this was before a disaster. If a predator was around it's scare off the prey animals but the insects too? Wondered if it had scared away the more dense and desperate homeless too.

He was dressed practically. jeans and a brown tee in case he had to get dirty and it definitely looked like they'd seen use before. No running shoes for the 'wild' environment, pair of brown hiking shoes more use to the rough and variable terrain and made to go for the distance.

The question that brought him here had been where had all the animals gone. As he looked at the riverbed searching for tracks, see how old they were and if there was a pattern of flight. Choosing the riverbed as that was a good source to start the trail.

3 successes

3 successes

Equipment: Smart phone, Copper Wire ring (magical tool), Hiking shoes

Messenger Bag: First Aid Kit, Water Bottles, Trail mix

Spells: Organic Resilience (2e armor, Pot 3), Pulse of the Living World (Pot 3), Gain Skill[ Pot: 3 (+3 Survival)

Tolerance -
    Self: 3/3
    Total 3/5
    Last edited by Guru; May 24th, 2020 at 06:22 PM.  Reason for Edit: Mana Expenditure

8. Likes Yumyumcrow, Cayce liked this post
    Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Skye had been at peace, having found a beautiful spot where the stream cut a "V" shape through the landscape. The trees were filled with vital life and the undergrowth was thick. Safely screened form the world she had worked her spell craft again and again...

Until Avis emerged, bursting unnaturally through the thicket. Her cigarette smoke tinged the air with acrid distaste, but still managed to cover the sour undertone of water-saturated earth.

The two Arrow's face off. And then Guru appears. Or, more correctly, pops into view with his head and upper body emerging from the tall and vicious grass. The Thyrsus is no worse for ware given his Organic Resilience. He had been following along the soggy depths of the stream bed. Dry Creek filled only during inclement weather and right now the summer had reduced the stream to a series of trickles and standing pools. The creek bed and thick and spongy, still holding moisture.

Still holding prints...

Guru had been following two pairs of boot prints. They had caught his eye some way back, right where that nagging sense of Nature holding its breath had first gotten hold of him. He had lost them, only to rediscover them later (with the help of his spell heightened skill). Even with that magical assistance, keeping up with the prints had been vexing and troublesome. Whoever these prints belonged to were highly skilled in stealth and hunting.

Guru could tell that this was building up to something...

Striking looks
    (Alluring)
    Presence
    (Calming)
    Dexterity
    (Flawless movement)
    Skye

Nimbus:
    A flowering of wildflowers accompanied by their scent and the sounds of a calm wind dancing over the sea. The more vulgar the spells, the meaner the magic the stronger the winds, the flowers blooming only to quickly decay and spread the scent of death with them.
    Appearance

Standing 152.4cm tall, her hair color changing on a regular basis, usually braided but not always.

Her body seemingly quite petite and small but upon closer inspection so is it unexpectedly sturdy, her left arm well trained with more defining muscles than her right arm.

Each and every movement always precise, rarely if ever wasting any more effort than needed to achieve her desired result.
    Equipment
    Battle

+1
    SL
    PRE

Spells
    Body control +3

Watching over the new arrival, her nose immediately picking up the unpleasant smoke scent but neither seeming to react to neither that nor the whistling tune.

"Ohh if birds were scared that easily so would they have died out centuries ago, may I ask who you are though to come at a stranger with such words?" Her demeanor calm and seemingly unfazed by Avis verbal mockery.

Then Guru arrived, her eyes looking at him worriedly.
    "Guru you decided to join in for this as well?" Looking him over carefully before taking of one of her two sets of throwing knives and handing it over to Guru.
    "Here wear this so you have something if things get dangerous at least and make sure to give back every single knife, do you know how to handle a throwing knife?. I do hope you won't have to use them but this level of quiet is to nasty to not take safety precautions."

Kneeling down and looking over the tracks he was following and smiling.
    "Well we need to start somewhere so why not here, this type of quiet is far to unsettling so the quicker we can find the reason behind this the better. "

Not really showing any interest or care for Avis, she was a rude stranger in her eyes and for now the mission and to keep Guru safe were what came first.
    "Do you have any clues as to what might be behind this or what have you managed to find out thus far? Other than the obvious signs so am I still just waiting to see if anyone else would show up to look around I am afraid, the environment is not fully my most suitable one but it is closer to it than the city and the closer we get to the wilds the more at home I will be. Also I assume your mind is clear for the time being and not altered in any sense?" She did not want him to be high or affected by anything in places that could prove dangerous, that would only make her job so much harder.

Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

"Ah shit, if it isn't my Padawan," Avis said, a smile curling her lips. She paused to take another long inhale of smoke before bending down to extinguish the cig in the wet mud. She didn't leave it there, though. Fuck no. Instead, she took out the little carton of smokes and dropped it inside before tucking it all back away in one of the cargo pockets in her pants.

"Hey, I'm sorry I had to bail on you that night. Just, ya know, something came up that I couldn't ignore."

She shrugged, even though he likely couldn't see it. If he knew anything about duty, he'd understand. If not, well, then she'd just have to educate him. Although -- later. Right now, if she kept blabbing it would only get in the way of the duty they were currently attending to. Except, of course, for the one introduction that was still left hanging.

"Hey Pinks. I'm Avis, Veiled Threats, Ungula Draconis. Now, let's let Guru do his thing."

Since they were just passing out knives, and, well, given the unnatural silence, Avis decided she might as well join the others in brandishing weapons and hope they wouldn't stumble onto the public. First, she adjusted her hooding and swapped her belt for her quiver of arrows. Then came her phone, which after a moment, she swapped for her bow. She rolled up the sleeve on her left arm, and then decided to go for one more measure: she took in a breath, and then let it out, letting her mind extend out with the breath so that she could touch the minds of everything around them.

1 success

Avis swaps her double shapes. Then, casts Sense Consciousness, pot 1
    Omnivision (pot 1) and Spacial Awareness (pot 1), combined.
    Spell Accumulation: 5/7
    Spell Tolerance: 3/3
    "Aw-Vee". Pres 2 (Moody). Mastigos, Adamantine Arrow. Trace of a Cajun accent.
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

Striking Looks
    (Sculpted)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Presence
    (Cheery)
    Allies
    (Criminals)
    Guru

Nimbus:
    Appears like there's a filter that blurs his image, the background suddenly more lush and vibrant than it once was. Tendrils of vines slowly edging their way to the borders of that veil.

Monthly Spells:
    Pulse of the Living World: Pot-3
    Organic Resilience Pot -3
    Evidence Shroud Pot: 3
    Scene Trackers

Curtain Call:

PotLW/Sense Life (2/2)
    Org Res (5)
    Evidence Shroud (4) L+M
    Spell Limit: 3/6
    Spell Tolerance 3/3

+1
    SL
    PRE

“Hey thanks Skye, good looking out. Yea I can’t exactly go around with my 12 gauge on my back, gonna have to get a hunting rifle or handgun at some point, less conspicuous. These will do though and yea, I take it and whip the pointy end into the other guy.”

He chuckled as he slid the knives onto his belt, handgun, rifle, and now a duster was added on his shopping list. Throwing knives, kunai, or something of the sort was likely something he could manufacture himself if crudely, renting forge time shouldn’t be an issue. He looked over to Avis and offered her a warm smile but when she brought up that night his pupils narrowed and all the blood drained from his face leaving him pale. He laughed to disguise the fear and discomfort poorly.

She had left? I don’t remember. I remember chatting, laughing, that too strong grip on my wrist and then, fear, then nothing. I don’t remember anything after that blood chillingly long second, all I remember was waking up at home the next day.

“Yea, yea sure I get it.” A lie. Not knowing what happened next made it so he couldn’t but he offered a consoling smile as the blood slowly started to return to his face though there was a slight tremble in his hand as he pointed out the boot prints and slowly started to follow them.

“Came out here thinking maybe a starving bear or mountain lion had wandered in scaring off all the prey. Noticed it was too quiet for that so I remembered I learned how to track following the trail of Coyotes out in Joshua Tree. Two sets of boot prints. Pros. I’m an amateur tracker at best so I lose them sometimes, river bed makes it easier to follow ‘cause of the moisture.”

He said as he lead the way, slowly following the boot prints.

Really wish it had just been a bear.

13. Likes Yumyumcrow, Cayce liked this post
    Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Skye hands out some of her bone throwing knives. They are dangerous looking bone slivers, carefully weighted, and they have a silky feeling in Guru's hand. The pink haired woman hefts her gear - her bow and quiver - and follows behind the sculpted man as he continues along his path.
    Avis switches her enchanted weaponry. There is faint "pop" and pulse of displaced air as the objects come out.

The trio move off, heading eastward along the soggy creek bed.

Now would be a good time for some Survival

I would like three rolls (Wits + Survival). You may roll individually OR you can Assist Guru Shane

Please indicate what your character does in the next post.

15. Likes Cayce liked this post
    Striking looks
    (Alluring)
    Presence
    (Calming)
    Dexterity
    (Flawless movement)
    Skye

Nimbus:
    Appearance

Equipment
    Battle

+1
    SL
    PRE

Spells
    Body control +3

Wait why did this unknown woman start to use gibberish words? Well at least she seemed to know Guru that was a good sign at least then they could probably function together.
    A smile as she didn't litter that was even better and it was nice to not have that glowstick of smoke around.

Wow that was some old speech, she wasn't sure what the veiled threats referred to though but she doubted it mattered much.
    "I am Talon Skye, thought I had met all the arrows around though." Her voice still keeping calm it would take a lot more to break her demeanor, her eyes serious and alert though as she watches the bow get out.
    "Ohh nice another archer, tell me what kind of bow is it that you have? Do you make your own arrows and is the bow made by yourself?" Archery, one of the few things that actually did take her interest.
    "Anything I need to know about you for us to work together?" Better to ask whilst they were alone and in safety than later when danger had already struck.

Rolling her eyes as Guru mentions a 12-gauge, fine they were deadly modern weapons but they were so damn loud and no refinement in them at all. Archery had class, it had life, it had skill but guns yusch. Well she would use them if need arised but still she did not really like them.
    "It would also scream out a lot if you would fire it, do you have skill enough to remove the sound? Otherwise I would look into that if you're gonna use one and yeah that's about it. As said make sure to get them all back to me I do not wanna spend money on the materials again." Not like it was expensive but her resources were very finite and she hadn't even gotten to blood all the knives herself yet.

Shaking her head.
    "Yeah definitely not something that easy, personally I learned all my survival skills from growing up in the woods so I am not all that unaccustomed to it but I am no expert either, you seem to be doing quite decent though if you already have a track."

Guru had already started tracking and seemed to know what he was doing so she decides to walk close behind him and aid him.
    Sadly she did not seem all that accustomed to tracking when she wasn't in the woods though.

tracking aid

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
Closed Thread