Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

The Sponsor and the Paige

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Daeva Vice: Wrath
    Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

The Nox was silent, Edward had to be let inside. Rough times for the social hunter. He knew all too well. Thoughts turned to the subject of the night as Edward descended the stairs. He was a few minutes early but wondered if Lenora would already be there, ready for their meeting.

Lenora Black | Public: Lenore Greene
    New Identity
    (Lenore Greene)
    Striking Looks
    (Comely)
    Presence
    (Winsome)
    Allies
    (Judicial)
    Allies
    (Culture)
    Lenora

+1
    SL
    PRE

Given the content of your post, it is my assumption that the silence of the Nox you've referenced and the thought of 'rough times' may be related to Covid. After asking around, the general consensus is that COVID is not occurring in our worldspace, hence the continued gatherings, business moving along as usual, etc. However, in keeping with your theme, I am game to say the two have arrived at the Nox ahead of the crowds.

Lenora had indeed arrived early. Punctuality was important and the best way to ensure one was punctual was to ensure you were already there.

Dressed in a manner befitting the nature of the meaning and her conservative demeanor, Lenora had opted for simple pinstripe skirt and suit jacket, a matching set of course, alongside a white blouse and black heels. She bore no accessories, save a black clutch that held her cell phone and some other essentials. The phone though was respectfully placed on silent in advance of the meeting.

Lenora's head turned to the side as she heard the steps, a brief pang of fear arising in her Beast as the form of the unobtrusive Daeva came to view... but the Beast was pushed down. The pair were in the Nox and Lenora had not earned the Prince's ire. She had little to fear. For the moment.

As Edward finished his descent, Lenora turned fully towards him, dipping her head in respect.

"Good evening, Mr. Heinrich," she offered.

3. Likes White, West liked this post

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

Dead eyes alighted onto the Lord, and the Beast's rage danced behind Edward's dead eyes, but that was not revealed. Instead, his eyes crinkled from a smile, and a nod returns the greeting.

"And a good evening to you, Ms. Black. It has been too long." In a smooth motion, he undid the button of his sport jacket and sat opposite to Lenora. "Before I belabour your ears with that which your earlier education has already, without doubt, covered, it would seem appropriate to inquire after any questions or concerns you might possess?" Edward sat back, one leg over the other, hands clasped, relaxed but attentive.

5. Likes liked this post

New Identity
    (Lenore Greene)
    Striking Looks
    (Comely)
    Presence
    (Winsome)
    Allies
    (Judicial)
    Allies
    (Culture)
    Lenora

+1
    SL
    PRE

Edward's smile is answered with one of Lenora's own and, as he takes his seat, she takes hers in turn. Leaning forward, Lenora would rest her hands, lightly folded together, upon the table as her eyes rested on Edward's face.

Her eyebrows raised lightly at Edward's compliment. Nonetheless, flattery did relax the Lord, as shown on many such occasions. Tonight was no exception an, as her pedigree is lightly referenced, the Lord's smile slightly widens with silent Pride. Still, as before, Lenora understood it was best not to look into it too deeply. Giving oneself wholly over to Pride was a dangerous thing. It made them easily manipulated and Lenora had no intention to be swayed merely by the utterance of pretty words.

Edward's question, though, is met with a light look of confusion, as Lenora was uncertain what he was actually asking.

"My apologies, Mr. Heinrich, but I am uncertain of your meaning," Lenora says, her voice settling into its usual cordial cadence, "Are you asking to inquire about my tenure under the Baroness von Kleist following the discussion of our business or that I share any questions or concerns prior to such discussion?"

The Lord of Lords knew she would have to likely have to impart some knowledge of her past at some point during the process, though she was unlikely to tell the Daeva anything more than what he asked. Origins were important to many of the Kindred and they held many moments too precious or crucial to share frivolously. As for the latter, Lenora was under no illusions that this current meeting was meant to be anything more than educational and formative of her link to Edward. Therefore, her questions and concerns could wait until she heard all that Edward had to say.

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

Edward's brow briefly creases with confusion, and then he laughed softly, "Not at all, Ms. Black, I am happy to clarify. While your time under the Baroness is a subject of a great appeal to me, it is not what I am seeking today. Our focus will be on your time under me, and so I wanted to start by ensuring we begin from the same page. With that in mind, do you have any questions or concerns regarding myself, our relationship, or the First Estate?"

Edward suspected Lenora had far more experience with the Invictus than he did. Nevertheless, some points of information could have been withheld from her.

New Identity
    (Lenore Greene)
    Striking Looks
    (Comely)
    Presence
    (Winsome)
    Allies
    (Judicial)
    Allies
    (Culture)
    Lenora

+1
    SL
    PRE

There was a look of understanding as Edward clarified his meaning.

"Thank you,"
    she offered as her sponsor humored her.

The decision to provide her the floor seemed... unorthodox to Lenora. It was rarely the place of any student to question the lessons of their teachers. That was more true in the First Estate than among the Kine. However, Lenora silently wondered if Edward's probing for questions or concerns rested within his own doubts. He had been hesitant to become her sponsor after all.

"I am under no illusion that our relationship is one of educational and societal value, Mr. Heinrich,"
    she said, "It is my understanding that we are to operate as student and master. I am to observe and to learn, while your task is to teach and, at times, correct. In so doing, once my sponsorship is complete and I begin to contribute, my efforts will afford a rise for us both as it will demonstrate my acquired knowledge and your capabilities as a teacher, as well as your mastery of the First Estate's principles and traditions."

A pause.

"Certainly, I am more than willing to listen and adhere to your own interpretation of our relationship should it differ from my own,"
    Lenora states, affirming her understanding of Edward's superiority, "I am all too aware that certain practices are kept from the eyes of Kine and Ghouls. I served as the Baroness' steward, as I'm certain you recall. While I was well versed in etiquette and certain common protocols so as to adequately serve when functions were hosted in her haven, my status as a ghoul prevented me from learning the finer points of the covenant. Therefore, I expect I still have much to learn if I am to contribute to the First Estate with my full potential despite my long service. One thing I have learned is that the first step to power is understanding one does not rise alone."

"As for concerns? I have none,"
    she said.

Do you?

"I am inclined to trust the decisions of Her Grace and she has chosen you to sponsor me,"
    Lenora continued, "I have no reason to doubt her faith in you. Further, my instincts tell me that we may share certain ideals and mannerisms. I have no doubt that this impacted the decision to place my entry under your care."

Then a slight tilt of the head.

"Did you expect concern, Mr. Heinrich?"

His misstep at Court aside, the Daeva had been careful and cautious. It was this very demeanor that Lenora herself found quite agreeable.

9. Likes liked this post

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

Edward's gaze does not drift from Lenora until her question. A small shake of the head begins his reply: "Not at all, Ms. Black. But, while expectation plays a leading role in our affairs, it is not wise to rest the show upon its performance; if you will permit my metaphor. In any case, it is good to know our thinking aligns."

A moment of silence passes while Edward thinks. "It is clear you have absorbed the central attitudes of the First Estate; your measured ambition leaves nothing more to be desired." Edward's words carry the weight of his esteem even while his thoughts gnawed at the question: so why didn't the Baroness have you join our little club?

"That leaves specifics. I will briefly assess your knowledge, I mean no disrespect with my questioning; it is merely my version of due diligence." He remembered the first time they had met. "We will begin with titles. I will now give an incorrect example of formal address: 'the Right Honourable Alder Twist, the Duchess of Sacramento and Judex.'"

He paused as some inconsequential member of their community passed by, their form caught in the corner of his eye. Edward doubted Twist would mind being used as an example, although it still pained him to refer to her incorrectly. The presence of another only heightened this discomfort. It would be some time before he was ready to request tenancy, until then, the lack of privacy would be endured.

"If you would please state the correct formal address and then state your understanding of each of term."

New Identity
    (Lenore Greene)
    Striking Looks
    (Comely)
    Presence
    (Winsome)
    Allies
    (Judicial)
    Allies
    (Culture)
    Lenora

+1
    SL
    PRE

Agreements with the previous ST mean I must approach this scene with Lenora not understanding the full structure of titles due to an OOC slip up on my part, as I'm sure you remember. To prevent meta, I am abiding by this agreement even though I have since learned correct structures OOC.

The following response is clunky at best, but I am having difficulty reconciling her lack of knowledge with her previously stated background. Apologies in advance.

"It is recently founded,"
    Lenora admits as Edward speaks of her ambition, "My years of service required a certain brand of... dedication to the Baroness' efforts. It was not until after I was deemed capable enough to achieve the Embrace that I was permitted to explore my own goals and how they could benefit my lineage. Service to one within Clan Ventrue is quite... complete, as I'm sure you understand."

A properly conditioned servant is perhaps the most trustworthy person in the world.

Then a pause.

"I must apologize, Mr. Heinrich,"
    she said, "As I've mentioned, certain specifics of the First Estate elude me. I was not afforded much exposure to formal address and cannot identify the error in the example you've presented. I am eager to learn the correct structure, however."

"As for the purpose of each element, it is my understanding that Alder is a title of esteem to denote a Kindred's age, as they gain the right to eat by becoming an elder,"
    Lenora offered, showing she was completely in the dark. Her sire had taught her some things in regard to titles, after all. She wanted Lenora to be challenged, not helpless. "Duchess itself is, as I understand it, a title of tribute, but, beyond knowing it is rarely given and held in the highest regard, I do not know the specifics of its bestowment. Judex describes Her Grace's function, in this case as a judge of sorts, if I recall correctly."

12. Likes , liked this post

New Identity
    (Lenore Greene)
    Striking Looks
    (Comely)
    Presence
    (Winsome)
    Allies
    (Judicial)
    Allies
    (Culture)
    Lenora

+1
    SL
    PRE

"...as they gain the right to it* by becoming an elder..." not eat.

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

No worries, it makes the scene more interesting!

"I do." Edward's expression almost fell as a twinge of guilt twisted his gut.

On the contrary, Ms. Black, were there nothing to teach, I would feel quite superfluous.

"You need not apologize, this is why we are here. There are six forms of address: Submissive, Formal, Informal, Familiar, Intimate, and Disparaging; there is also a special case regarding introductions. There is no trick in the labelling, your judgement will guide you regarding the selection of address. Do not concern yourself with notes, I will produce an exhaustive document for your study."

He waited for a beat, the brain worked best when it had a few seconds to absorb.

"The address I gave before was not a Formal address. It was an Introduction and an incorrect one at that. The title of Tribute, Duchess, is modified by 'Her Grace,' not 'The Right Honourable.'"

"The Formal address is the title of Esteem or Tribute, the Title of Function, and then the last name. Furthermore, should the addressed possess a title of Tribute, it is always preffered; to do otherwise may indicate that one believes the addressed are undeserving of the title of Tribute. This finds exception only when the title of Esteem is of primary pertinence. The correct Formal Address is: 'Duchess Twist, Judex.'"

"Before I proceed with a discussion of Blood Oaths, do you have any questions?"

15. Likes liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread