Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(2004) Edward and Mable

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Apr 2, 2020 : (2004) Formal Court
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Warden of the Sacred Grove
    Presence
    (girl next door)
    Striking Looks
    (Wholesome)
    Mable Wood

+1
    SL
    PRE

She listened with keen interest. She was sure he simplified for her but that was fine. "Kek-chak." she repeated.

"It sounds like a very complicated criptoquip but with numbers. Do they further complicate it by making words into anagrams or something? I have heard if encryptions are encrypted in multiple ways it makes it harder. Also, how are the keys being relayed?"

She was sure he had thought of all this because he was far more intelligent, but she was very curious.

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Daeva Vice: Wrath
    Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

Edward's eyebrows raised slightly at Mable's mention of key transfer. "Exactly right!" Edward speaks happily. "Your mind is well suited to these problems, Keeper Wood, surprisingly few anticipate the key transmission problem. However, I will address your other queries first."

"Anagrams are rarely employed. A good encryption scheme maximizes the ease of understanding the message for the correct recipient and maximizes the difficulty of understanding the message for an eavesdropper. The anagrams I have seen make it equally difficult for both."

"Messages can be encrypted in multiple ways. Usually, it is possible to simply increase the strength of a single layer. But for encryption schemes where strengthing is not realistic multiple layers are utilized. Care is needed in this, as adding another layer does not necessarily increase security. An extreme example is applying a Caesar cipher of 13 twice, you end up with the same message. A variety of mathematical tools have been invented to shed light on whether an additional layer of encryption is helping or hurting."

"Sending keys is the grand problem, there are a variety of ways. Most online applications do something called an RSA Handshake that takes advantage of a few mathematical properties to secretly create a key. RSA can be quite slow, so after the initial key transfer is finished applications tend to switch over to something faster using the secret key."

Presence
    (girl next door)
    Striking Looks
    (Wholesome)
    Mable Wood

+1
    SL
    PRE

Mable was pleased she had the right idea. "Ok, so my basic question is, how do you every make it so another computer can't figure out the code? Like with computer worms or viruses, when a new anti-virus is made to stop one, a different one emerges." She stops and thinks a moment.

"What if I think about this backwards like the code is the virus then the people decoding it are always behind and by the time they figure out that code a new one crops up and the message they have decoded is too old to matter." She almost was mumbling through this idea to herself.

"I still think with computers in play it must be horribly difficult to figure out how to encrypt enough layers in to prevent the message being decoded. And don't other people know about the handshake thing enough to figure it out?" Sharing secrets and keeping them secret sounded impossible to Mable.

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Daeva Vice: Wrath
    Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

"First, a mathematical argument is made to prove that the best possible way to break the code would be to randomly guess possible keys. Second, as you noted, a careful analysis must be made to determine how long a message must remain secret. Given current and projected computing abilities, one ensures the probability of cracking the code in time is agreeably diminutive. The golden rule is to make the expected cost of a break significantly greater than the value of the information."

"It is herculean." Edward agreed, "key exchanges are possible, even with an attacker watching everything. The process came out of a field of math known as Group Theory. I fear a more detailed explanation would necessitate visuals."

"Ah, but the night wanes, so I shall take my leave. It would be my pleasure to discuss these matters further with you, Keeper Wood, at some later date." He takes a half step back and offers Mable a short bow.

Presence
    (girl next door)
    Striking Looks
    (Wholesome)
    Mable Wood

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Thank you for your patient explanations tonight. I really enjoyed it. And hopefully having to simplify the information for me has helped in some way." Mable gives a little shrug. It works for people sometimes.

"Have a great evening and if you need me for anything, let me know."

When he bows she gave a little head nod.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread