Watch
Phantom Threads Pulled Taut

Contacts (Finance)
    Contacts (Digital Networks)
    Contacts (Academia)
    Trained Memory
    Abacus Scenes
    Abacus

The sound of dialing numbers (phone, keypad, rotaries, calculators) echo in the ears of those in close proximity. Shimmering gold lettering take the form of flickering mathematical symbols that form complex equations in the air.

PRE

Abacus sat precariously on one of the couches in the corner of the room, towards the back with one of those ornate, art deco lamps. A ceramic mug of piping hot coffee sat on an end table nearby. A book was wedged between his fingers. He read it at an odd angle, with his other hand cradling his face.

He had been reading Law's Empire for a good half hour before his mind started to wander.

What was the deal with mages and coffee shops? Were they all just closeted Bohemians, drowning their ennui, insomnia, and inflated sense of selves in caffeine? For someone who made a living in statistics, this was a glaring question that Abacus never thought to probe more deeply.

Nonetheless, here he was. He didn’t order anything special. Black was simple. Sugar made it somewhat more tolerable. He had heard the several orders before his own. Extra foam. Caramel drizzle. Cortado. They were all just differing amounts of milk and espresso. He couldn’t call himself a purist, but he was definitely boring by all twenty-first century accounts.

Maybe the café, like the Circle, served as a crossroads. Neutral ground where destinies could intersect. Where Harry meets Sally. Where the mission is accepted. Where you buy the souvenir mug for your mother and almost drop it.

Fate’s funny like that, and oddly consistent to boot.
    Acanthus | Mysterium |

Please read this post about the proper labeling and placement of threads. This is not a private location, and should not have used the 'private' prefix.

The OOC section should be regularly checked for new posts.
    This is a generic account for moderating the Mage game/forums. It cannot receive messages and inquiries should be posted on your character sheet or messaged to the specific Mage ST(s).

S
    Shodan

As Fate would have it, Shodan is in the same place, at the same time. He has his laptop, tucked away in a bag, with him. And in his hand? A god-damn cortado coffee. He's come here to work in a chill environment, but all that's changed when he noticed Abacus in the corner. The Libertine made his way towards the mage.

"Hey, man!" He says "Reading something interesting?"

And would you look at that, he's wearing a power suit. Something of a rare sight.

Contacts (Finance)
    Contacts (Academia)
    Trained Memory
    Abacus Scenes
    Abacus

The sound of dialing numbers (phone, keypad, rotaries, calculators) echo in the ears of those in close proximity. Shimmering gold lettering take the form of flickering mathematical symbols that form complex equations in the air.

PRE

"Just brushing up on theory."

He finished the paragraph that closed the chapter. Finally...he was getting to the good stuff. The actual argument! But now he had company, and as capable as he was at multitasking, the effort needed to do so would simply come off as impolite to anyone on the receiving end.

"What are you drinking?"
    Acanthus | Mysterium |

S
    Shodan

"A theory of what?" He'd probably have to crane his neck at an odd angle to read the book's title, which would be both painful and weird. Instead, he just makes himself comfortable on the couch next to Abacus.

Because standing right above him? In a freakin' suit? It's going to be a no from me, dawg.

"Cortado coffee" He answers the mystagogue's inquiry "It's got a good balance of tastes, and you can never have too much of balance, right? Besides, I've never tried it, which is reason enough to start now" Typically Libertine? Maybe, but at least life is exciting that way "You?" Seemed only right to turn the same question towards him.

Contacts (Finance)
    Contacts (Academia)
    Trained Memory
    Abacus Scenes
    Abacus

PRE

"Black. With some sugar."

He put the book down on the weathered cushion next to him. He appeared to visibly relax while readjusting in his seat. He crossed a leg and drank some of his coffee. "Legal philosophy. This one focuses on judges."

"How do you know it's balanced, if you've never had it before?"
    Acanthus | Mysterium |

S
    Shodan

"Legal philosophy?" Sounds more like what a thearch - or a Libertine - be interested in, but hey! That's pretty stereotypical "You have very diverse interests, I'll give you that. Is it new, or have you done it longer? Does it have anything to do with your new job at the company?" Work talk is safe talk. Nobody wants to eavesdrop on it, they have enough of it on their own.

How does he know it's balanced? It's a bit of an odd question... or is it? "Because the entire deal of cortado is to have the same amount of coffee and milk. This one looks like it does. I could probably take this cup to a laboratory and check the composition, but if I did that every time something might be potentially in doubt, I'd go crazy" He smiles "Not all variables need to be double checked, not unless it's a serious situation" because then you want to shine some light in all the corners.

Contacts (Finance)
    Contacts (Academia)
    Trained Memory
    Abacus Scenes
    Abacus

PRE

"There's an adage about avoiding putting all your eggs in one basket. It's handy wisdom. And you won't get in trouble for sharing it."

Speed reading was one of the first things taught to Mystagogues. At least...it was the first thing he had to learn. How ironic that he walked the Path of Thistle and his first lesson was time management.

He went on about the coffee. It didn't really need elaboration. But he listened anyway. He supposed it was good practice for what came next.

"I read it once when I was in school. I got it, but I really didn't care for it at the time. But...given the circumstances at the office, I thought it good to refresh myself on what it had to say."
    Acanthus | Mysterium |

Shodan gets a phone call and leaves.
    This is a generic account for moderating the Mage game/forums. It cannot receive messages and inquiries should be posted on your character sheet or messaged to the specific Mage ST(s).

Contacts (Finance)
    Contacts (Academia)
    Trained Memory
    Abacus Scenes
    Abacus

PRE

Abacus would merely sigh and return to his book and his coffee.

We are subjects of law's empire, liegemen to its methods and ideals, bound in spirit while we debate what we must therefore do...
    Acanthus | Mysterium |

Closed Thread