Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Werewolf: The Forsaken on the Wiki
Ended
Watch

Renown

THREADID

@wodland brought up a question about the appearance of Renown brands, which made me dive back into the rulebook and rediscover an oft forgotten rule. It's easily overlooked and forgotten because while most renown rules can be found in Werewolf the Forsake pages 77-79, this rule is page 198.

When two werewolves meet for the first time, they each roll their highest renown. A success means the other wolf has heard of the renowned wolf and the action that garnered them that reputation and the brand that can be seen in the hisil.

I did a pseudo example http://nwod.org/forum/showthread.php?41664-Echoes-of-Yesterday&p=14448600#post14448600

Here's another:

Jack and Jill meet for the first time on Pack Hill's territory. Jack has a Glory renown 2, Jill has wisdom renown 4. Jack rolls 2 dice for his Glory renown.

Jack's post
      2 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2020-03-07 00:51:53 [04] Winter rolls 6 to Scrutiny Resonance - Identity (Int + Occult) - Teamwork (10 Again) 6, 6, 8, 1, 9, 6 2 successes

Word has gotten around about Jack, the young brash Blood Talon had leapt into burning building to save the young, wolf-blooded children of his pack's Alpha last month. He nodded cooly to Jill. Confidence was never lacking for the glorious Rahu.

Jill's post
      0 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2020-03-07 01:00:35 Titania rolls 5 to To know the Hunter (int + Occ) (10 Again) 1, 8, 2, 6, 9 2 successes

Jill was amongst the wisest of the people, but her last feat of Wisdom was many moons ago, it was unlikely the pup had heard of her. While she hadn't heard much talk about the wisdom of Jack, she knew she could count on him to be Glorious when the time called for it. "You must be Jack. I'm Jill. Welcome to the territory of Pack Hill"

This also applies for a pack. With the highest renown being rolled for the pack. Luke and Han are both in Pack Hill with Jill, and both have a cunning renown of 5. Luke has a total of 10 renown dots, 5 in Cunning, 3 Honor, and 2 in Glory. Han has 12 renown, 5 Cunning, 4 Glory, 2 Honor, and 1 Wisdom. They are tied for cunning, but because Han has more TOTAL renown he rolls his cunning 5 for the pack.

[wtf]
      3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2020-03-07 01:17:56 Titania rolls 6 to Gardening (Dex + Survival) (10 Again) 1, 9, 10, 9, 10, 2, 5, 3 4 successes
    Jack hadn't heard of Jill before, but he had heard of Pack Hill. The Pure had not dared set foot near the city of Pueblo for man years, because they had a habit of just disappearing, never to be heard from again. That kind of cunning was revered, and Jack's pack in Colorado Springs needed that kind of help. He bowed his head respectful to Jill, "Thank you for your hospitality. I've been sent with news from the North".[wtf]

These rules are kind of misplaced in the book, but renown is an awesome and powerful mechanic in werewolf. Not just as a guide for dealing with Spirits, determine highest level gift a wolf can have, and modifying inter-tribe interaction (If two tribe members are having a contested social roll, the member with the highest primary renown adds it to their dice roll), but also provides a powerful roleplaying mechanic. Spirits talk and news gets around the Forsaken community when a member of the People perform a feat of Renown. While Spirit Brands can only be seen in the Hisil being seen is really the least​ of their function.

Okay, this is an obscure ass rule that isn’t well placed in the book because I’m sure it comes up far less at a tabletop that it does in PbP. Kelreth do we want to point this out as part of toon prep to join the game and add that it’s like real world reputation or fame. Word has gotten around about the Wolf type thing. Or just do away with it. I feel like, properly used, it can negate a lot of the initial new wolf aggression.

Chris Laurent
    Langdom
    Chris Laurent

Irraka Blood Talon
    Langdon

It does seem like a good way to help introduce new toons as Wolves don't have the same networks as mages or vamps are implied to have. Personally I need to reread the rules on it and make sure I understand it right.

4. Likes Mark liked this post
Closed Thread