(John Campbell)
    Rigid Mask
    Trained Observer
    Composure
    (Placid)
    Perfect Stillness
    James Turner

Mien
    Skin pulled back tight against his frame and a ghostly white, eyes and mouth sucking and empty pits that appear to be without end. His shadow a deep black that seems to be driving the body instead of the other way around.

PRE

Whisperwisp

James had stepped off with Rhodes chewing at his burger as they walked, keeping folks in eye sight but out of earshot. Security for both, mainly Rhodes’ comfort, being that James was the one outnumbered here. He had turned to the Dread Lord after they’d walked a couple steps.

“I’d heard about Winter here, unfortunate News either way you look at it. I’m here to help however I can. I couldn’t help but notice something was bothering you, don’t have to share it with me but I’m here to talk to if you need it.

“Now that we’re officially in the business section of the night I’m open to questions and I will say in advance that I’m sorry if I’m particular with wording of oaths. The Onyx Court can be rather…unconventional at times.”

A necessary evil.

“I’m not normally so wordy, preferring to watch, but everyone has to get to know me first. I can already tell folks are a tad uncomfortable, hopefully this can alleviate some of that.”

His voice was droll, unamused but not hostile. It was like they were in a business meeting talking numbers that everyone should know and this was just another day.

Goes by the name: John

0 Scenes

A side thread from http://nwod.org/forum/showpost.php?p=14447965

And please remember to place any finished Pledges in http://nwod.org/forum/showthread.php...rent-and-Past)

3. Likes Shane liked this post
    Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Mantle - Chilling breeze, summoning tiny leaves
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.
    Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The Dread Lord fixes the Darkling a withering stare. "The ever-shifting nature of this Freehold and it's frequent transients make safety a concern for me. And as an accomplished Pledgesmith, I assure you my Oaths are quite particular." Really. Questioning him in such a way.

The Flowering tugs on his cuffs, and his icy wind mantle twists around him. "Now. To business. I propose an agreement, by a vow, that neither you nor I will knowingly serve the Gentry or their Agents, nor harm each other nor members of the Freehold. For one month, as long as we hold true to our word, the tongue of the performer shall be gifted, but should we break this oath that gift will be stripped from us as will such talent we might possess."

The smile returns. "If these terms are acceptable, I will phrase the final vow more elegantly."

Rhodes is proposing the following:

Pledge: Vow
    Task: Forbiddance (will not serve the Gentry or their agents, nor harm each other or Freehold members)
    Boon: Adroitness (Expression)
    Sanction: Poisoning of Boon
    Duration: 1 month
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

John Campbell
    New Identity
    (John Campbell)
    Rigid Mask
    Trained Observer
    Composure
    (Placid)
    Perfect Stillness
    James Turner

Mien
    Skin pulled back tight against his frame and a ghostly white, eyes and mouth sucking and empty pits that appear to be without end. His shadow a deep black that seems to be driving the body instead of the other way around.

PRE

Whisperwisp

Dodging the question I see.

He quirked a brow at the Dread Lord his face a blank slate, unflinching as he blinked slowly even as he was starred down. Not a good start he saw.

"I am a Winter, I understand the need for security. Now most of all. That would be my point, I clearly have no problem with the first clause and no arguments here. "

He sighed and ran his hands through his hair nervously.

"Sorry, sorry. I'm not trying to be a prick or pedantic. I'm just careful in what I swear and to whom. I don't want to accidentally break a vow after all. But yes, I will not knowingly and without good cause, harm any member of the freehold without first at least informing the council of Monarchs of any findings I might hold; unless I, or the Freehold, are in immediate danger.

"I hope that makes sense, you're definitely better at this then I am."

His foot tapped and he took a bite of his burger.

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.
    Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The smile becomes more genuine... and more predatory.

"Oh, it makes sense, but I am afraid that is not up for negotiation, dear boy," the Dread Lord's emerald eyes glint. "No loopholes, no conditions. This is our home, and we don't know you. What you might consider "good cause" might be a trivial matter to one of us. Others have sworn similar oaths to the same standard, without concern," he waves towards Bugul. "And of course I am held to the same standards. The restriction is harsh, yes, but nothing personal. It is for our protection, and you are coming to us."

Rhodes twists an errant bud from his wrist and flicks it casually into the undergrowth.
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

John Campbell
    New Identity
    (John Campbell)
    Rigid Mask
    Trained Observer
    Composure
    (Placid)
    Perfect Stillness
    James Turner

Mien

PRE

Whisperwisp

No clauses? How is this security?

“So you are held to this standard, as well as every member of the freehold? One month as a trial period for all new members until they establish themselves and their credentials, longer if necessary. Sure. I understand that. But to hold all members to a standard of no harm at all? How do you enforce any law and order? If I swear this and somehow one of you slaps me suddenly your life becomes a bit more complicated.

“I understand he has sworn this. But…”

He tilted his head as their cold mantles brushed against each other, his carrying a hint of nostalgia, that feeling that there had been better times.

“…I’m well aware of what my duties are. I understand security sometimes means harm”

This would have been so much easier with a winter monarch.

“As I said I don’t have a problem with doing this as a new member as you’re sussing me out, you need to know my motives and intentions. As a Winter I understand the veracity of the statement trust but verify, but….”

He stopped there hand rubbing over his chin before his head shook with a shrug.

“I can’t do my job with my hands held behind my back. But for now we’re in agreement at least, we have a month to get to know each other. I understand this is your home and I am a stranger, let us change that shall we?”

He held his hand out there to shake to seal the deal. His tone, his face, everything about him had remained entirely impassive during this discussion, he never got angry everything seemed to be business as usual. He just blinked a few times.

“Sorry to bring the mood down…”

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mantle

Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The Flowering's smile widens "Oh, no. Not everyone."

"I think you misunderstand the purpose of this vow, John. This isn't mutual protection, or some Freehold Oath. It is protecting us from you. The oath does not affect everyone. Just you, and me. That is our security. You wish to be a part of our Freehold, for a time. We do not object, and how long is up to you. But if your "job" involves being able to assault members of my freehold, well, I wouldn't be doing my due diligence to them if I permitted that, would I?" The Dread Lord says casually, with a half-shrug. "I am telling you this in good faith, honestly, so you do not have a false interpretation of our agreement."

Rhodes looks the Darkling in the eyes, his mantle blustering again. "You ask how we enforce law and order. We don't. We place faith in common sense for our continued safe existence; Secrecy from mortals, the Loyal, and the Gentry, operating within Mortal systems to have a livelihood. Those that break these rules are dealt with as they arise. You are free to make whatever Pledges you wish with anyone. I simply make one to ensure the Freehold members are safe, a duty taken unto myself and one the others trust me to accomplish. A part of that is keeping them free to act should a new face break an initial Oath."

The Dread Lord continues watching. "If you feel this is unreasonable, you are right. As you say, it is for you to show you are worthy of our trust. If this is acceptable, then we can begin."

John Campbell
    New Identity
    (John Campbell)
    Rigid Mask
    Trained Observer
    Composure
    (Placid)
    Perfect Stillness
    James Turner

Mien

PRE

Whisperwisp

“Here I thought they had been talking about a Freehold Oath, this is quite different for me. So this is in fact a, uh, trial membership? So there are different oaths for everyone depending on their role and function? Given enough time I’ll be sworn in on another oath? Does the Freehold have an oath?”

His face screwed up at his words, disbelief painted clearly across his face when he explained the have no rules, no law, no order.

“You have quite a lot of faith it seems. I do not share that faith. You believe that common sense will keep you safe but you’ve seen how fear can twist and poison the mind. I believe that sometimes short term pain is better than the alternative. I just hope your faith is not misplaced, because if it is…”

James shrugs, if it was perhaps that’s why Winter had gone to ground, maybe that was why they were missing. Was this a honey pot? It would be quite clever of the loyalists…

Those thoughts ran through his head as he looked back to Rhodes and shrugs.

“No, it’s wise. Protect the Freehold from an unknown variable like myself. I’d do the same in your shoes. With that known I find it much harder to disagree with your terms, we all have our place, we all have our ways of keeping each other safe from Them.

“The only thing I might change is instead of being gifted of tongue perhaps make truth easier to come to light so you can see if my intentions are truly honest.”

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mantle

Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The Autumn king frowns. "I hinted at it before, but the Wyrd does not bind a freehold pledge here, for reasons I have yet been unable to fathom. I have my suspicions, of course, but little facts." He shakes his head. "You might consider this your probation, as it were. And again, this is faith based on experience, following successful Pledges with most you see here."

Rhodes shrugs, nonchalantly. "I would not expect you to possess my faith, but remember it was you that sought out us. Why else if not for faith that the Freehold protects, that we are stronger together than alone? Personally, I would love to have a Freehold Pledge in place, but if the Wyrd does not bind the Oath then that is all they are - words. And little reassurance to anyone." His eyes narrow, and a flurry of leaves are twisted into existence. "Fear is not a poison, John, but a reality. I do not instruct Winters on Sorrow; do not presume to know what I do of Fear. Or of my faith in this freehold's members."

The Darkling seems to see the light, and the bristling slowly subsides into a slow nod. "Just so. And in the interests of amicability, changing the silver tongue for a keen eye and connection to others is easily done."

The Dread Lord calls upon the Wyrd to strengthen the words he speaks. "For the next moon, may we be bound with this Vow - that we will not knowingly serve the Gentry or their servants, nor bring physical harm to each other or members of this Freehold by our action. As long as we hold true, our connection with those around us will be heightened, but should we break this bond such connection will be stripped from our natural skill." The Dread Lord offers a hand, smiling.
    I assumed James was suggesting Empathy instead of Expression, and felt it might e best wrapping things up. The details are below:

Pledge: Vow
    Task: Forbiddance (will not serve the Gentry or their agents, nor harm each other or Freehold members)
    Boon: Adroitness (Empathy)
    Sanction: Poisoning of Boon
    Duration: 1 month

John Campbell
    New Identity
    (John Campbell)
    Rigid Mask
    Trained Observer
    Composure
    (Placid)
    Perfect Stillness
    James Turner

Mien

PRE

Whisperwisp

“That’s what you were referring to, interesting.”

This was the Dread Lord’s purview, the Wyrd, how it functioned, how it might be shaped. The Autumn Court had their function and they’d be more aware of the esoteric knowledge and workings of the freehold so it broke no argument.

Though he listened to him talk about Faith and Fear this was an avenue where they had met an impasse, James wished he could have Rhodes faith in others but that had been taken from him when he’d got lost.

“A reality, as is loss, which is why we have different callings. I do not presume your faith at all, I just do not share it.”

He shrugged, it was true, James didn’t share it at all. Rhodes had more experience than him but he wouldn’t let the dread lord lecture him about fear. Would anyone sacrifice themselves to the Others if it meant saving everyone else? He had a hard time believing that, a very hard time. They all carried with them that fear of being taken again and we can’t know what one would do until put into that predicament and James wasn't willing to gamble that on faith alone.

“Works for me.

“For the next moon, may I be bound with this Vow - that I will not knowingly serve the Gentry or their servants, nor bring physical harm to each other or members of this Freehold by my action. As long as I hold true, my connection with those around us will be heightened, but should Ibreak this bond such connection will be stripped from my natural skill.”

He repeated after Rhodes and shook his hand, a half smile stretching up the right side of his mouth before his face relaxed back into its default apathy.

“With that business concluded we can rejoin the others unless you had more business or questions for me sir?”

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread