Watch
21 - 28
DISPLAYED
THREADID

Purely Curious

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
    A
    Allen Brackett

He takes it all in. The words, the movements, the changing tone of voice, not once flinching. The Elodoth weathers Brigit's gaze without so much as a blink. He's learned a long time ago that people - both with and without a capital 'P' - can be starved for empathy. They want to be assured that their troubles and opinions are important, unique, that the other guy genuinely cares. Solid empathy is rarer than good-quality meth and ten times as addictive. So, he listens. He listens until there is only silence.

The Storm Lord smirks, breaking his cardboard cutout of a face, only to bring it to perfect stillness once again moments later "I don't think it's an 'interesting philosophical question'. That sounds like we're trying to have a high school debate club here" He says "I asked because the answer would be very telling. And I got what I wanted. In fact, I got more than I expected"

Not that it was a bad thing.

"And not that I underestimate numbers, but Herd and Uratha history both teach us that they're not enough"
    He continues "The Brethren War was such a clusterfuck because the Pure were smart and we weren't. Human commanders have been known to win against overwhelming forces thanks to strategy. I'm not saying this to be contrary for its own sake. I'm saying this because it's part of being an Elodoth to make my packmates see sides of an issue they may not have considered. Doesn't win me many friends, but someone's gotta do it" And he was suited to it more than most. It's hard to stay mad at a guy who is basically a person-shape barely filled with substance. It may also help that Allen isn't one to roar and pound his chest. There are enough Iminir good at that, he doesn't have to be.

"Third, you'd be surprised how few opinions and preferences I actually have. They are too attaching, about as helpful in my job as a chain ball would be. That's why I ask lots of questions. And just for the record, your dedication to the Oath, or Ezekiel or the pack was never in doubt. Why would it be? In the words of master Musashi, the truth is what it is, and we must bend to its power or live a lie" This whole time, Allen remains largely motionless, and his voice has that warm and slightly sweet quality, like the smell of strawberry tea on a winter evening.

Presence
    (Confident)
    Retainer
    (Ezekiel 'Zeek' Walters)
    New Identity
    (Bridget Walters)
    Brigit

PRE

Brigit is many things. However, being overly clever or enigmatic is not among the Once-Pure's qualities. Despite her origins, it isn't hard to see when Brigit understands where someone is coming from.

So it was when Allen explained himself.

She listens as the Elodoth speaks and, when he concludes his points, she grants a small huff and a nod. If nothing else, it invites him to continue his questions.

my bad! this fell through the cracks! Please continue if you like!

A
    Allen Brackett

So, at least he is granted understanding. Or is it contempt? Indifference? Something else? Allen dares not scrutinize Brigit more deeply, trying to preserve what he can from the casual atmosphere. Well, as casual as one can expect while talking about abusive family and painful redemption process.

"So why Sacramento?" He finally breaks the silence after allowing it to grow for a few moments "You said your husband... brought you here? Was that also not your decision, or did you have your own reasons for settling down in the capital of California?" A simple yes or no would suffice, although Allen could confess to counting on a more detailed answer, if the Blood Talon felt like sharing. It'd grant him precious insight into her motivations and how the woman thinks.

Presence
    (Confident)
    Retainer
    (Ezekiel 'Zeek' Walters)
    New Identity
    (Bridget Walters)
    Brigit

PRE

Brigit shrugs.

"Ezekiel already had his shop here. He had a life set up and, with the pack heading back to war with my family, they felt it was safer to make sure I was far away," she said, "It wasn't my decision and, if I'm being honest, not a huge fan of the city. Still... we got our duty. Whether or not I like Sacramento is not important."

A
    Allen Brackett

"Not a huge fan?" He asks, his tone curious "Of Sacramento specifically, or just cities in general?" Probably the only werewolves who universally liked the urban settings were the Iron Masters, most others seemed to... tolerate it, at best. Which is a sentiment Allen understood, if not exactly shared.

"In either case, although we're bound by duty to look after our territory, there's always room for improvement"

Presence
    (Confident)
    Retainer
    (Ezekiel 'Zeek' Walters)
    New Identity
    (Bridget Walters)
    Brigit

PRE

"Cities." Brigit answered.

The other statement earns a mumbled "Mhmm."

After a few long moments, Brigit stood.

"I should probably get back to it" she says, "Anything else?"

Presence
    (Confident)
    Retainer
    (Ezekiel 'Zeek' Walters)
    New Identity
    (Bridget Walters)
    Brigit

PRE

double post

A
    Allen Brackett

Well, Brigit wasn't the most verbose of people, was she?

"I think we're done for today" He says, his eyes trailing after her as she stands "Thank you, and I look forward to our next meeting"

And after that, the Storm Lord lets her leave. Pretty soon he is gone himself, trying to file all the information he's gathered into neatly organized cabinets.

Thank you very much for the scene!

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 18

You do not have permission to view the list of names.