Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]\includes\openscenes.php on line 48
Consilium: (2002) Formal Business Concilium - Page 7
Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(2002) Formal Business Concilium

THREADID
DISPLAYED
(2002) Blank State
Feb 2, 2020 - Feb 2, 2020
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 7 of 13 First ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... Last
    Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1
    Active Spells: 3/5
    Personal Spells: 3/1

[2R] Analyze Artefact (Deep Scrutiny of Artefacts, Prolonged, 1 scene)
    [4R] Dark Matter (Matter Sight, Prolonged, 1 scene)
    [2R] One Mind, Two Thoughts (Prolonged, 1 scene)

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1
    Active Spells: 3/5
    Personal Spells: 1/3

[4] Aura Perception (Concentration, 1 scene)

[5] Third Eye (Mind Sight, Prolonged, 1 scene)

[2R] Unseen Aegis (Armor, 1 scene)

PRE

Campanella is watching from the sidelines. The grim cast is returning to his face as he observes continued silence of Papilio and a subtle power play from the Guardian Winter .

"If there is to be an Incarceration, so be it. But we the Council shall oversee it. Councillors represent the Paths. Not the interests of Orders. At least here."

His jaw throbbed.

His hand waved.

"Fine. So be it. The Realm of Pandaemonium must agree with us or why else would the Councillor of Warlocks keep so silent. An incarceration for Magus Kaze."

"Now what of Shodan? Or shall we say the same?"

The Moros had an edge to his voice now as he turned his increasingly baleful gaze away from the gathering and onto the Council.
    Campanella|Moros|Mysterium
    Gnosis: 4
    Occult Skill: 3

2. Likes Ruach liked this post
    Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), pair of daggers, tonfa, Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), motorcycle (street bike)
    Phoenyx

Nimbus: a pair of fiery scarlet wings unfurl her with an eagle's screech.
    Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Armour - 3/2 (Life/2, Trenchcoat)
    Health: Matriarch - 1B/7
    Willpower 3/3
    Mana: 9/9
    Vulgars Cast: 0
    Personal Spells 2/3
    [6] Supernal Vision (Monthly Ritual)
    [5$] 2E Life Shield (Monthly Ritual)
    Active spells: 3/7
    [3$] Complex Transmission

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), 2 spare clips, pair of daggers (one is magical focus), Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), Purse ($57, gun permit, driving license)

PRE

Phoenyx did as she always did, watched, and listened. It was clear this was to be a regidly formal affair from some, and others had yet to realise quite what that meant. It pleasant how easily it slipped over the small Obrimos, like a warm, familiar hoodie. Even she had one somewhere.

The escalation from observation to incarceration was... interesting. Twice Kaze had broken the precept of Secrecy, so it was not... overly harsh in the Arrow's mind. She did care for Kaze, deeply, but some things had to be done.

Hopefully this will teach him some caution. Still surprised that wasn't beaten out of him as an initiate.

All it came down to was who was going to oversee him during that time - and where, unless the Concillium had actual cells with a bed, lavatory and a month's worth of rations readily warded for the convicted. Which she doubted. And if the Hierarch's announcement of serving Paths rather than Orders was to be believed, then the choice of overseer would be even more important. Would the statement be backed by deed?

Also Aurora for Sentinel? That made the Arrow think Anima didn't really know his fellow Thyrsus very well. It would be an... interesting appointment, if the blonde magus accepted, which Phoenyx sincerely doubted.

Without reason to interrupt procedings, the First Talon watched on.
    Obrimos Adamantine Arrow, Cloaked Monthly Rits (in minisheet)

4. Likes , Ruach liked this post
    P
    Papilio

The Mastigos wasn't there for the event Kaze described, nor was he exactly local... Or seasoned in his role. But he was aware of mage custom as a whole, and understanding of the punishment to be given. This was what the Guardians were for, yes? Better a minor punishment now, than torrents of grief down the line.

Papilio spoke up, once the sentence was given. "The Hierarch is correct, I am in agreement. Should any assistance in such matters be needed, I am prepared to offer that which I can." Pixel had also offered to help- good. Papilio hoped his willingness would continue should Shodan be judged similarly.

"As per the mage Shodan, his behavior seems more borne of ah... Varying levels of respect towards others and the established rules, as opposed to incompetence or ignorance- based only on what I have witnessed thus far, of course." Kaze had made a mistake, but the Apostate was willing to accept the consequences. He could be taught to be better- Arrows were good at drilling lessons yes? They might be able to assist in that matter, If his time incarcerated didn't do it for him. A rather cut-and-dry ordeal, so far. But Shodan seemed rather adamant in his ways- this would be fine in Papilio's eyes, if it hadn't started to become a pattern of disruption in Concilium affairs.

"A duel seems to have not done enough in providing perspective or insight. And I think his past disagreements with Winter might exacerbate under any incarceration or punishment overseen by him in particular." Was that being blunt? Seeing one of your ideological (and recently quite literal) opponents on the other side of the bars every day was unlikely to foster understanding, as the Mastigos saw it. Though that wasn't meant to be a disagreement on whether he should be punished.

"Besides, I am unsure incarceration would prevent such behavior in the future, and I would rather avoid escalation.... Perhaps he should be made to write an extensive essay on the history and development of the Modern Pentacle and the purposes each Order serves, with information on this Concilium in particular and the rules established within?" The tone was entirely serious- given the topic, such an essay could likely fill out several book's worth, even if he stuck to the basics. Though, Papilio understood how ridiculous it might have sounded. "This would require him to better understand his fellow mages. He would be made to write this paper in the Concilium for a set amount of time every week...... He would transcribe it all by hand, of course." Maybe Shodan would respond better to a more Academic lashing than a purely physical one. If anything, the idea of future boredom from having to spend a month writing another essay might deter him. "The Mysterium would likely be able to oversee such an endeavor, and be able to provide the basic materials he would need upon request- ah, if they are willing." He shouldn't speak for all of them. "If he takes it seriously, I could see the punishment taking at least a month to complete in a satisfying manner." Though he was unsure how the others would view his proposal, and he was far from an expert in such affairs.

S
    Shodan

He shouldn't have to be silent at his own trial, but at this point Shodan is unwilling to take any chances. Instead of voicing his want to speak, the Obrimos raises a hand, with his index and middle fingers extended, indicating he'd like to say a few words to the Council. He looks at Campanella .

It makes him feel as if he's in school more than a courtrrom, and the feeling may not be inappropriate - given the punishment proposed by Papilio. Doing essays seemed only slightly less outlandish than, say, writing 'I will not cast magic in front of Sleepers' ten thousand times, but from the looks of it, the Prime Mover is not opposed to the idea.

It beats getting thrown in a cell with a Guardian anywhere near him.

Winter
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Education
    (West Point Grad)
    Occultation
    Winter

Nimbus

Dark shadows scatter in ordered symmetrical patterns traversed by a crackling pallid silver light that wraps Winter in a pleasantly numbing and icy coldness.
    When vulgar magic is cast, the frequency of the oscillation of the dark fluid surges until the shadows arrange themselves in a solid black halo around Winter's head, the white light darkens into a fiery black sunlight and his eyes are set ablaze with vivid incandescence.
    Stats

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor: 1(General)/2(Ballistic)
    Defense: 3

Active Spells: 1/6
    Personal Spells: 1/3
    Incognito Presence (Mind 2) Rote, Scene, Pot[1]

OCC
    PRE

Yeah, yeah. Now he understood why the Hierarch was alright with the Mastigos - his order mate - being so quiet, it was a case of a mind having to play catch up with the mouth. Most unusual, for a Mystagogue.
    He shakes his head disapprovingly just as the Libertine requests to speak, "Magus Shodan is entitled to a fair trial, therefore any discussion concerning his punishment is premature", he still represents the Golden Key, and unluckily Shodan signed that book.
    "Furthermore, punishment is defined in accordance to the Tetragrammaton and precedent rulings. As councilors, our discretion extends no further than evaluating evidence and rendering a verdict. Fairness dictates that equals be treated equally and unequals unequally, this is why guidelines exist. In this case, knowledge is not a punishment but a prize itself. We're discussing rules that anyone should be privy to, common knowledge for everyone, much more for somebody who claims membership of the Pentacle. A Mystagogue should know that", he motions to Shodan to step forward and speak. "What do you have to say?"

8. Likes Ruach liked this post

Status (Neurosurgeon)
    Status (Free Council)
    (Voter)
    Presence
    Anima

PRE

To the Angelic Libertine, the Theurge is attempting to hide his annoyance with the Herald under a mask of composure. All apparent humility towards the man regarding his previous idiotic actions faux pas has evaporated. The same poorly hid gaze moves to the Mastigos councillor as he speaks, his initial impression of the man had been so much better in the hospital. The hospital, he in now reminding himself, that the Warlock proved to be ill-suited for. After all, the Shaman had to withdraw before he was ready to soothe Warlock's injured resolve. Anima's eyes narrow slightly as the Warlock drones on about essays. The Warlock is proving himself less of a friend and more likely prey.

Still...

Even if it is premature, what he is suggesting for his fellow Libertine is preferable to ostracization. That could prove useful, should it come to a vote. His expression softens. Another orange slice finds its way into his mouth, he wipes juice from his chin with his thumb, sucking the digit in as he looks to Shodan, awaiting the man's plea.

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2020-02-19 10:55:39 Anima rolls 3 to hide emotions (Comp+Subterfuge -1 untrained) (10 Again) 6, 8, 6 1 success

Con Spells Cloaked
    Supreme Aug:Pre+3 Man+2 dur 12hrs;Skill Mastery Socialize+2 Persuasion+4 dur 12 hrs

ConsiliumPre5 (Authority)

10. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Innocent)
    Pixel

Nimbus:
    Things around Pixel become block like before suddenly reverting to their normal appearance, as if the world around him were slowly being rendered in on a crappy cpu.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Hands fly up in surrender to Winter. His icy stare is no match for the Warlock's will.

But the damage was done. The verdict was entered and no interfector was being named for it. Sure, his volunteering for the warden position Winter named didn't seem to pan out but that was hardly the point. As Papilio started to speak he was happy to let Winter and the Council deal with it's own. At least he wasn't asking for true names? Some people need baby steps.

Mental notes were taken as Concilium continues. He and Anima needed to work out some stuff. He should probably check with Campanella about his thoughts about all this. Also Shodan raising his hand to speak might have been the most demeaning thing he had ever seen.

Speaking of Shodan. He notices that Pixel is frustrated, though Anima may have just pressed a button most recently. Pixel seems happy to be friendly, but he also isn't one to hold hands for baby's first steps. He doesn't like amateurs, and while he was clearly triggered when Anima asked him to speak for the Free Council there was clearly more to it. By the looks he had been giving Papilio the whole Concilium it's not hard to guess that his Councilor is involved in his feeling of irritation. He was quick to forgive when Anima dropped his spell last concilium, but that forgiveness has limits. Limits that were being tested by more then just Anima and more then just that comment.

failure to resist coercion, and I forgo the roll to hide Pixel's emotions because I haven't really been trying to do that anyway.
    Date Action Roll Result
    2020-02-19 17:52:49 Pixel rolls 5 to Resist coercion (Res+Comp) (10 Again) 4, 3, 1, 5, 3 failure

12. Likes , Cayce liked this post

Morgan

PRE

And to think that she'd thought Sacramento would be different. She'd heard it was like the Wild West, or some shit. Which, well, she supposed it still was like that. Rule by the strong, not the vaguely anarchist sanctuary she'd been hoping for.

But fuck was she disappointed.

Raising her hand like she was back in goddamn high school, Morgan fixed her stare on the Hierarch, though the act took a profound amount of willpower to keep her eyes from rolling so hard they caught fire in her skull. First she had to get recognized to speak. Then she could make her Will known.

Nah, hold up. Something wasn't right here. Well, obviously, but nah, it was something else.

Morgan's eyes widened and she dropped her hand.

"Moros Councilor, here," Morgan loudly declared, stepping forward.

"I mean, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there's only one other person that walks the Path of Doom, and that man is right there," Morgan explained, gesturing with a grand flourish to Campanella . "Our vaunted Hierarch, no less. Which, help me out here, but I'm 99% positive that he can't claim both positions. Since, ya know, that's written into your charter. Excuse me, our charter."

She shrugged, looking smug as fuck, and continued on.

"Now, since I'm one of the Council, I get to vote. So, here it goes. I vote, no, I do NOT support this punishment. Perhaps an ineffective vote, but I cast it anyways, and I'm going to explain why: Incarceration, even for a month's time, is not befitting of this crime. Why? Well, because we are, all of us, fighting for our very own Freedom, in our very own instance of Incarceration, as we speak."

She paused dramatically, trying to meet the eyes of each of the assembled mages before continuing.

"We all share the same struggle, the struggle against the Prison that we are trapped in, a struggle against the Will of those that would Dominate us from on High! So I will be damned if I, in good conscience, try to subject another in emulation of my very own Jailers. Look into the depths of your soul and you will know this to be true. There is theory, and there is Praxis, this, this Praxis does not match our theory, does it?

Look at us, here. Silencing others, calling others unequal,"
    a glare of sheer disgust was shot in Winter 's direction before continuing.

"Are we the Servants of the Lie? Obsessed with Status? Obsessed with Order and Control? With bowing and scraping and showing deference? Or are we the Wise? Are we those who know how priceless Freedom truly is? Because I've lived inside a Prison, one for the body as well as the spirit, and there is no Wisdom to be found there.

"So if this man truly is such an idiot that he's repeated this offence,"
    she concluded, gesturing to Kaze, "then it's clear he's lacking in education, not lacking in a damned jail cell. So my Vote is no. Oh, and before I forget, yes, a rule by a little less than fifty percent of the population is silly, because it literally creates a group of second class citizens who have no voice, and that, again, is Theory not matching Praxis. Moros out."

Morgan dropped an imaginary mic (and lets be honest, she legitimately considered aporting a real one, but one of these trigger happy sons of bitches probably would have used that as an excuse) and walked back to stand with Briar Rose.

P
    Papilio

His idea was... Not recieved as well by the Guardian. The jab at the end about how a Mystagogue should know this didn't provoke any anger, though perhaps a bit of annoyance. Nonetheless, before he could form a response one of the other members made her case known. The Morgan. Her statement brought up much of the grievances Papilio had with going through with Incarceration as a punishment, and displayed the exact outcome he was hoping to avoid. An outcome he felt Incarceration might steer them more towards. If rebellious individuals already existed in the Concilium, provoking them with such a display could only do more harm- there were other ways they could resolve certain differences.

He also saw a moment to take a jab back at Winter- on the topic of fairness (or the Guardians' version of it)."Equal punishment does not lead to equal outcomes- such a structure is not a sign of fairness, but rather rigidity and an unwillingness to adjust in the face of adversity. I also propose that there may be many silent- or otherwise" A nod to Morgan "-Individuals here that would see such an act as unjust. At times, and in these times especially, sometimes The Laws maintained by the Pentacle are of less importance than how they affect the Mages living under them. The question then becomes what we serve- and what we lose, in choosing our Master." Another nod to Morgan. In this instance, he would choose the mages over the laws- or at least, the current iteration of the laws held by the Concilium. If it avoided something worse down the line, then any amount of ire or anger directed his way was worth it. "And I feel in this instance, we would lose too much for going through with such an act. We could maintain the goodwill of many, perhaps, if we were willing to be somewhat more flexible in our judgments." Flexibility opened an entire can of worms, naturally- making a decision based on the potential outcome of one's choice, rather than the laws and facts in front of him? That might prove troublesome down the line. But then, complete rigidity wouldn't do much better in his eyes.

A clear of his throat- right, he'd made his case more known. Guilty or not Guilty then? Fine. "So- to clarify, then- my vote is that he is Not Guilty, if the punishment of his guilt is to involve incarceration or worse. Whatever Shodan may say to make his case, my vote will likely remain such." There were effective ways to correct this particular behavior, that could also keep the majority of the support. Keeping what Papilio was starting to sees as a monolithic (and perhaps unappeasable, in the current climate) Guardian or two satisfied was of less import, at the moment.

S
    Shodan

He wants to speak when prompted by Winter to do so, but then several things happen at once.

First, his observation of his two fellow Libertines reveals irritation and annoyance between them. Hopefully those are just passing feelings brought by their newfound positions in this... less than ligh-hearted circumstances, but Shodan resolves that once all of this ends, he'll have to propose a Free Council meeting.

Second, there is what Morgan says. It's not that he disagrees with the spirited argument, he very much does and lets an internal cheer when she underlines that they are all in this together. But let's be honest here, the Prime Mover will be surprised if it does not turn out to be just wasted breath. The tattoed girl showed guts and grit, but she was still new, and regardless it would take more than one speech to shake the millenia-old assumptions, traditions and laws excercised here.

Third, Papilio speaks up again, and his argument for flexibility is... not what he expected a mystagogue to stand for. But as the Warlock Councilor voices his opposition to throwing Shodan in jail, some weight lifts from the Obrimos' mind.

But finally the moment came. Shodan considered holding his cards close to his chest until charges, evidence and proposed sentece is voiced (presumably by Winter), but piggybacking on the here and now might be more beneficial.

"I don't know if Councilor Winter has already filled the Council in about what happened the day we are talking about in my case, so I'm just going to stick to the basics" He begins "Basic number one, and I believe this is important - that day happened almost a year ago. Far as I know any threat or harm to mages or Sleepers failed to materialize in that time, and I don't think it will materialize in the future. Basic number two, I didn't do the thing casually strolling down a park lane, but in a high-stress, dangerous situation I was left alone with, investigating a threat to the Consilium" Ironically enough, the person they never caught was using magic a bit too loudly, Shodan tried to stop it and look where it got him "Basic number three, it was not a total failure because I actually got to snatch up two pieces of hunter technology used to track mages, reverse-engineered them and thus got insight into what our enemies are capable of and allowed us to use it, should we ever wish to" Sure, both tracking and seeing magic were made possible by simple spells, but there is something to be said about not having to burden your Pattern with them.

"Speaking of helping out - I came here over a year ago. Over that time, I was all around the place, investigating botched summons of Supernal beings, going centuries back in time, facing angry mobs while searching for Seer sancta... at one point I got almost blown up by a car bomb when I was helping out the Hierarch. And that little bits of electronic security you may have seen while walking in? I bankrolled and installed it, on Councilor Winter's... request" Well, it was not a request. The way he remembers it, it was more like Winter saying 'We need to get it', and Shodan actually agreeing because it aligned with his interests and skils.

"This means that what I'm being tried for here is an exception, not the rule, since it hadn't happened before or since. Does it mean I think what happened was okay? No, of course not. And I know I can be an asshat two... make it three times out of ten. But my social graces isn't what's on trial here, and I ask the Council to put the whole thing in context before rendering a decision, which I hope will be a lenient one" Hopefully they will see reason. Shodan doesn't expect to get out of this frying pan entirely unburned, but anything he can do to contain this mess, he will.

Page 7 of 13 First ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... Last
Closed Thread