Ended
Watch

Fate's Hand

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    A
    Allen Brackett

Allen's gaze wanders from Rebecca's eyes down to her hands. Even if she isn't exactly a Vegas dealer, there's something skillful and honest in how she shuffles the deck and then lays the cards out again. Finally, when the show is done, he looks up at her face once more.

"I struggle to recall even one person known to me who wouldn't want to be privy to their future. The temptation is just too strong and has something to do, I believe, with how short our lives are. We want to make the most of them"
    Doubly so for the Uratha. Werewolves might be faster, stronger and more resilient than just about any other creature, but their duties grant them lifespans shorter than their biology would suggest. Add their low numbers and the weight of policing the borders between worlds, and you start to see why they'd want to know.

Well, that's a bit too much philosophizing for a simple question, isn't it?

"So it was with me - I was morbidly curious. And I've always had something of an infatuation with the occult, how it touches our daily lives" And oh, it does, at all times "In that, I suppose we're similar. Still, I am a theoretician, and my kind is drawn to practitioners like you in search for the supernatural in the flesh, rather than just books. Figuring if any of these old wives' tales did turn out to be true, here is a good place to experience them"

Cole Volker

Mien is dull grey skin with seemingly molten veins, runes are barely carved
    Summer Mantle 1

PRE

She saw an opening to be all occult, and so she took it- minus the mysterious voice this time.

"Oh yes- and ah've read many tales of those that regreted knowing it with certehnty." Flipping random cards over and back, the sound adding to the effect. "If we wished to make the most of our lives, perhaps it would be better spent with a bet mahre uncertainty- would you rather spend your life looking in a clear pond's reflection, ahr enjoying it by swimming within?" Admittedly not the best analogy she could come up with.

"This way, ya can still live in the pond- wadin slowly now and then, perhaps- enough to get a glimpse." Hence the Tarot. It seemed he shared some interests?

"Ah was surprised at the infatuation here- thought it was restricted to the countryside; here it's beyond the church and tales, with people interested in more." The universities seemed to have a plethora of that kind of information. "In the flesh? Ya flatter me- though if you're looking fahr anything in those old tales, ah'd be wary." All those fairytales- all surely just that. But Rebecca wasn't going to put it to the test. "If ya search fahr anything more, I suggest finding a shamrock. Supposed to ward off evil fairies- what Ma said at least." Evil fairies made much of the bulk of those nightmarish tales.

"Aside from fate, 'ow do ya think the occult touches our daily lives?" Did he have any advice, or new insight to offer?

A
    Allen Brackett

"Ponds and swimming as a metaphor for life? How poetic and apt" He flashes the girl an encouraging smile "You continue to surprise me in the best of ways. Nevermind the reading, it's refreshing to talk to someone who isn't always... blunt" And other wolves wonder why he mingles among the Herd. Allen loves the Uratha, they are his family, but they can also be terribly monothematic.

He listens to her speak further "Us cityfolk desire mystery as much as anyone else. Housewives and office workers want their thrill, too" And like cough syrup, that thrill can be either helpful or disastrous.

"Aside from fate? Genius loci seems to be a thing. The 'soul'of a place, if you please. Haunted hauses at the end of the street, sacred groves, crossroads diners... everything that says 'respect me', even if people tend not to listen - but they should. Supernatural influence or just self-fulfilling prophecy, I tend to give these places some space" Was that a warning? Oh yes - Allen appreciated curiosity, but humans were not equipped to deal with the hidden world, and bad things happen if they try.

Cole Volker

Summer Mantle 1

PRE

Well. As rushed as the metaphor seemed, this one seemed to have taken to it. A mental note to keep it in mind for future performances. "Ya flatter me." And her, surprising? That was refreshing to hear, in it's own way. "O? I'll admit the folks in this city seem to be mahre blunt..." It was certainly a change of pace.

"...But, I'm glad I could poehrsue these interests 'ere- and find people interested." Seems everyone had their kicks.

Genius Loci? Took her a bit to piece together what he meant by that- the term wasn't familiar to her. But haunted spaces, or places of spiritual importance? Places folks told their children never to go? That she understood. "Ay. 'ad a few of those back home- Fairy Forts, Ma called them." Abandoned structures that, supposedly, fairies and other such terrors now lived in. Always felt weird, being there.

And she agreed wholeheartedly with his view on such things. "Not keen on jumping out of my pond and into anahther anytime soon. I'm quite fine 'ere." Plenty she could learn that didn't involve testing the reality of those old fairytales.

Overall, this had been A fun discussion. A nice detour from the usual. "Think we'll meet again? I'd love to talk mahre about this with ya." She had plenty of old tales, and he seemed to have an interest in these things.

A
    Allen Brackett

"I'm merely stating facts" He says witha friendly smile on his face, and Allen's tone is so casually dismissive one can have no doubt about his sincerity. This human may not be clairvoyant, but she certainly had a sensitive side he enjoyed.

The Storm Lord smirks "Fairy forts? Is that right? But yes, I imagine they are much like what I'm describing - old places with rich, unfathomable history" Sadly, he doesn't expect to see the outside of California anytime soon, much less the outside of the country. Being rooted in place was a double-edged sword for the Uratha.

He takes what the woman says last for his cue to leave "I'd like that. Although I don't think I caught your name? Mine's Allen. What's yours?" Could he track her by scent alone? Perhaps, after much time and effort. But what's the point of taking the hard route, when an easy one is just as good, if not better?

Once he gets her name, or when it's clear he's not getting it, Allen is ready to vacate the tent.

This looks like a good place to wrap? Thank you for the fun scene!

Cole Volker

Summer Mantle 1

PRE

A charming man. Not what she usually expected to arrive in her tent, but not unwelcome either.

"Rebecca. Rebecca Barrows. A pleasure meetin' ya, Allen. Look fahrword to seeing you again."

A slow night, but... A productive one, it seemed.

Aye. Thanks for the fun!

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread