Ended
Watch

Evasive Maneuvers

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
    S
    Shodan

He cleaned up the apartment (not that it was a lot of work) and set the table. Kaze's voiced dislike for processed foodstuffs left him with few options for the reception, but there's water and some locally-produced juice, as well as an assortment of fruit and mixed nuts. If things get real heavy, some beer is cooling in the fridge.

But it's not about what you fill your mouth with. Kaze is one of the few people that wear their hearts on their sleeves in this world Consilium, and Shodan prizes that connection. Even more important than the need to check up on him is the wave of... recent developments. As Sacramento coagulates into something solid one needs to figure out his place in things, or one will be fighting for scraps. Well, fuck that. This Prime Mover is no scrap-eater. Which is why he needs Kaze's point of view, or even cooperation.

The other Obrimos will find the apartment's doors slightly open, so that he can just storm in and they can get down to business. They need to act fast, while there is still time.

Striking Looks
    (An Extremely Fit and Healthy Glow)
    Presence
    (Disconcertingly easy to talk to and open up)
    Toxin Resistance
    (+2 vs drugs, alcohol and toxins)
    New Identity(Steven Chojun Trueheart)
    Kaze

Nimbus. The sound of rushing wind and flashes of lightning surround Kaze, and his clothes and hair move as if he is in a windstorm.
    Monthly Rits

Monthly Rits Spell Cloaks Spells do not show unless scrutinized
    Transform Aura pot 1 (Aura is as a Sleeper)
    Organic Resilience (Life Mage Armor 2e) pot 3 ( Armor 2; Defense 2 + Higher of Dex or Wits)
    Body Mastery pot 1 (x2 rate healing Bash, Letha, Agravated; +1 success on all extended and instant rolls to resist diseases, poisons or drugs; +100 years lifespan)

Scene specific spells: in mini-sheet 4
    Scene Specific

(Portrait) Portrait of an Angel
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 3 ( +1 vs Bashing: Kung Fu 1)
    Defense 5
    Vulgar -1
    Active Spells: 3/5
    Personal Spells: 3
    Spell Tolerance: 3/3 Spell Rolls
    [1]Transform Aura[M]
    [2] Supernal Vision[D]
    [2] Organic Resilience[M]
    Key: Potency | Effect declaration if needed | Turns remaining ("M" = Monthly Ritual)

(Bad House) The Return
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 9 (Dex 6 from Honing the Form)
    Vulgar -1
    [4] Honing the Form
    [3] Organic Resilience Aurora's Life 5
    [2] Body Control [M]
    Key: Potency | Effect declaration if needed | Turns remaining ("M" = Monthly Ritual)

(Cloaked spells)Mana 3 Spent
    +2
    SL
    PRE

Kaze knocks softly, despite the door being ajar. "Hello?" He says before gingerly opening the door and coming in, shutting the door fully behind him.

"Hi." He says with a smile. "What's up?"

Kaze is wearing a solid grey shirt under a leather jacket with black trousers and athletic shoes. He has his phone with him, and the spells he has cast on himself are cloaked, and his aura is that of any Sleeper.

2 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2020-01-23 16:29:17 Kaze rolls 10 to rote Organic Resilience (Life 3 + Stamina 3 + Athletics 2 + HS 2) (10 Again) 6, 5, 8, 6, 3, 1, 5, 7, 2, 10, 2 2 successes

5 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2020-01-23 23:12:56 Kaze rolls 8 to rote Supernal Vision (Prime 2 + Wits 3 + Occult 1 + HS 2) (10 Again) 1, 5, 4, 10, 4, 8, 5, 8, 10, 8 5 successes

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2020-01-23 16:30:00 Kaze rolls 6 to Transform Aura (Prime 2 + Gnosis 2 + HS 2) no manna for improvised because ruling arcana (10 Again) 6, 3, 6, 2, 2, 9 1 success

Spells: Monthly Rits Transform Aura (aura appears to be a sleeper) Spell Cloaks (See mini-sheet)

S
    Shodan

"Hey, man" Shodan greets Kaze with a smile "Sit, why don't you, we're probably going to be here a while"

The Prime Mover's clothes are way more plain that what Kaze might be used to by now. An ordinary shirt followed by a pair of ordinary jeans - his more... extravagant fashion was all about making a statement, and there is no point in making a statement if there is no audience to even potentially care. He gives Kaze a moment to settle before puring himself a glass of orange juice.

"You may have noticed that we share the unique position of being long-time residents of Sacramento, relatively speaking, but not enjoying the benefit of trust and respect one would associate with this tenure" He finally begins, in a somewhat counterintuitive boardroom-like tone "Other than us, there are people who are recognized for what they were doing and for their long time of service - Aurora or Phoenyx for example, and the new arrivals. Clean slates" A sip of drink is taken "We, my friend, are stuck in this... limbo. The worst position where people don't give a fuck if we live or die. It's bad. Unfair. Demeaning" Truth be told, it's fucking bullshit. Good thing there are many ways to make you seem more likeable.

Just ask any candidate for an elected office, ever.

"Now, we both have some bad judgement on our conscience, which is where this goes from 'annoying' to 'potentially deadly'. If people don't care, they are not going to help either of us when more respected people do something unfair. Or when we're in the field and need a hand" You'd think with their awesome powers, mages'd be more inclined to help their fellow Awakened. Usually, though, the instinct to protect their skin and hoard power prevailed "That's where building a brand, a positive, engaging brand comes in. I'd be happy to expand on that, if we can basically agree that we have a problem that needs solving" This little speech was getting too long, anyway. Besides, Kaze and him have life outlooks sufficiently different that he may see this problem from a different angle - or even not at all as a problem.

Striking Looks
    Presence
    Toxin Resistance
    Kaze

Nimbus. The sound of rushing wind and flashes of lightning surround Kaze, and his clothes and hair move as if he is in a windstorm.
    Monthly Rits

Organic Resilience (Life Mage Armor 2e) pot 3 ( Armor 2; Defense 2 + Higher of Dex or Wits)
    Body Mastery pot 1 (x2 rate healing Bash, Letha, Agravated; +1 success on all extended and instant rolls to resist diseases, poisons or drugs; +100 years lifespan)

Scene Specific

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 5
    Vulgar -1
    [1]Transform Aura[M]
    [2] Supernal Vision[D]

(Bad House) The Return
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Vulgar -1
    [4] Honing the Form
    [2] Body Control [M]

+2
    SL
    PRE

Kaze nods. "Okay." He says. He sits and pours himself some orange juice. "Thanks."

Kaze listens, interested in what Shodan has to say. His expression is open and nonjudgmental as he hears Shodan out fully.

He nods when Shodan finishes. "I'm up for positivity, and a better image. For me, so far, I think being lower profile and keeping my mouth shut is kind of the image I'm going for...but I'm interested in hearing your ideas." He says.
    Spells: Monthly Rits Transform Aura (aura appears to be a sleeper) Spell Cloaks (See mini-sheet)

S
    Shodan

Shodan shakes his head. That's the kind of answer he expected to hear, if not exactly wanted.

"Staying silent is the one thing we cannot afford to do" Tactically, it might be a sound choice for some situations, but in the big picture it's suboptimal. The absent are always in the wrong "By my estimation, we're not exactly taken seriously by those in power. There are certain members of this Consilium who shall remain nameless, who may not hate us, but it's pretty clear they don't consider us equals either" As much as a Diamond mage can ever concede that anyone is not above or below them. Equality is not a concept they seem to take well.

"I'll let you in on a secret: mages are humans. They might say it's only merit and power that matter, but that's bullshit. It's not true. Emotions and appearances are key" Even Winter, cold-blooded, blood-drinking monster though he may be, was still human and thus prone to emotional attachment "If you allow others to tell your story, to control the narrative - they'll eventually use it to your detriment and no one will bat an eye. At least you have Phoenyx to watch your back, but it's far from enough. I have no such person" Not since his cabal disbanded, which was pretty early on. Maybe they can rebuild with Abacus, if he decides to stay, or build something new with Morgan if that study group idea of hers pans out.

Shodan takes an apple from the bowl on the table and jounces it a couple of times, weighing what he's about to say next "So, what I'd propose is to be engaged and likeable - not as mages, but as human beings. That Starbucks outing was a pro move, establishing yourself as the first personal contact newbies have here" That said newbs seem to have promptly left is beside the point. The strategy aims to provide opportunities, not guarantee success "And, above all, appear interesting. Sounds simple, I know, but it's not. To put it in some practical terms, people need to know we care about their goals, their interests and their struggles. Like, if you get someone to teach you, it'd be good to not make it look like a business transaction. Or you might consider going to a place you normally wouldn't to get noticed by your target audience. Case in point: this art showing I was at the other day, it was co-organized by Papilio. We talked a bit, exchanged numbers. Lo and behold, we're now more than a bundle of spells to one another" It's like a magic trick all on its own.

"Still with me?"

Striking Looks
    Presence
    Toxin Resistance
    Kaze

Monthly Rits

Scene Specific

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 5
    Vulgar -1
    [1]Transform Aura[M]
    [2] Supernal Vision[D]

(Bad House) The Return
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Vulgar -1
    [4] Honing the Form
    [2] Body Control [M]

+2
    SL
    PRE

Kaze nods, listens. When Shodan has paused and asked if he's following, Kaze sighs. "That Starbucks thing didn't really work out for me; I'm still waiting on my punishment for speaking too freely."

Kaze looks at Shodan and says, "You're not wrong. And if you were thinking of something, like a get together or something, I'm game." He says.

"The thing is, I am in a little different situation. I don't think I talk about it much, because I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses. The fact is, I think I told you, I was pretty normal and social and everything before my Awakening, but I was already in a more or less military environment when I Awakened, and I was an Arrow right from the beginning. I guess a little different from other Arrow groups, though. I was trained in fighting and some magic, but not in how to just...be in a community of mages. I was in a compound unless I was on a mission, and always knew who was in charge and what the objective was, and talking freely wasn't ever a problem, because I was basically always with other mages in a secure compound. I have the wrong habits, and I am working on changing that, living as an Apostate, on my own. I want to learn how to be independent and a good citizen but not part of an Order, taking orders. I have learned how to cloak my spells and transform my aura, and I am intending to make my ID really solid, so I am not just using a fake name in conversation, but can really live under it." Kaze explains.

"So right now, my goal isn't so much to earn respect or be everyones equal; it's to learn how to not be a threat to the community and not put others in danger, while still living my own life, figuring out my own life."

7. Likes West, Vincent liked this post
    S
    Shodan

"Uh, okay?" This little admission was the most words he's heard Kaze say in quite some time, which meant there are things to unpack here "How does that make anything I just told you irrelevant?"

The reason might be different, but the outcome is the same. It's like addition - 2+2, 1+1+1+1 or anything like that always give you 4. At least as long as you stay out of quantum physics, but that's neither here nor there.

"So you don't care about status. That puts you in the minority of Obrimoi, or mages, or people for that matter but fine, it's not for me to judge" If anything, it meant more cake for him and puts him one step closer towards Free Council supremacy [insert evil laugh here] "You still cannot keep your mouth shut and listen and hope, fingers crossed, that a Normal Life Fairy waves a wand and presto! Years of dehumanizing training just go away. That's not how socialization works"

You learn by imitation. Repeat the words, the gestures, the patterns often enough and they become your own.

"It's not about magic, or fake IDs, either. Do you think every mage knows Prime? Or cares to? Fuck no. I mean, it's useful, certainly, but - and I cannot stress this enough - what you want is more like what I just described. I'm not an expert on that life" The mere thought that he might have had to endure it if he was born into Kaze's family sends shivers down his spine "but by your own admission it was pure utility - marching orders, training, basically staying at one place all the time, chains of command... all the things most people are raised without the burden of. Now, if you want to be like most people, you gotta act like them, and it will always be disingenuous unless they show you the minutiae of their personalities and desires to give you a frame of reference. Which, see above. It's quicker if you get around" A vivisection, if you will. Open heart surgery kind of thing. No one ever said being human is an easy job.

The Obrimos munches on some hazelnuts and raisins from the bowl "As far as the 'figuring out your life' part is concerned, I'd say you have a good headstart. You have a girlfriend. You study to be a paramedic. It doesn't really get much more normal unless you are in the business of building a house, planting a tree and siring a son. But yeah, maybe I'm just talking out of my ass and you have a different view on what your next step towards normalcy should be" It could happen. Shodan was very happy talking, but on occasion you gotta listen too in order to talk anything resembling sense.

Striking Looks
    Presence
    Toxin Resistance
    Kaze

Monthly Rits

Scene Specific

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 5
    Vulgar -1
    [1]Transform Aura[M]
    [2] Supernal Vision[D]

(Bad House) The Return
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Vulgar -1
    [4] Honing the Form
    [2] Body Control [M]

+2
    SL
    PRE

Kaze listens silently. When Shodan finishes, Kaze chuckles and then sighs. "I'm not disagreeing with you, you know. You sound like you're geared up for me to argue, like you need to convince me to agree to your plan. That's not a problem. I already said, 'I'm in' if you want to set up social gatherings or get to know the other mages as people or whatever. I'm basically...I guess I assumed you were talking about us getting to know each other as a start. I'm apostate. I am up for punishment next formal meeting for speaking about the Consilium in public. And...honestly, my issue isn't about being 'normal'. My issue is that I am not normal, and I have to learn better how to stop acting like I am. I am not a regular person who can just talk about my life and what matters to me in public. I'm a mage, and if I am in public, I have to talk in code if I talk about what matters, and I should really just not do it unless I'm not in public. I know that. But I don't have the habits for it, yet. That is what I am working on. That has to be my priority, remembering at all times, that I have a double life. So you're right, that has nothing to do with being social or talking in meetings or the Circle or privately like here or building up I don't know, alliances, I guess; it's just what I am focusing on right now."

Kaze sighs again. "Also, I guess I have to tell you. I promised her that I was going to let her tell people in her own time and her own way, so please don't tell anyone else, but Phoenyx and I broke up, and it's my fault, but her choice, and that's all I am at liberty to say about it, and again, please don't tell anyone else even that much, okay?"

S
    Shodan

Kaze's admission that he and Phoenyx are no longer together catches Shodan at a bad time. He's just drinking some juice from a glass and when the bomb falls, he chokes. Hard.

"You what?" He must have misheard, right? True, both were still young, probably not a couple for that long and, all that aside, breakups are a fact of life, but holy shit he didn't see this coming "Wha..? Why?" The Obrimos finally catches and composes himself, although his hand still trembles for a second "Actually, forget I asked. That's between the two of you, at least until either you or Phoenyx grow insane enough to want relationship advice from a guy who has been single for years - namely me, in this particular case. I won't tell anyone, don't worry" Of course, his severe lack of qualifications would not stop him from giving that advice, but Shodan knows better than to step on this emotional minefield uninvited.

"But okay. I see. So we're going to try something different" By now, the Prime Mover is completely calm. You can see the gears and levers moving behind his eyes, as he ponders a new strategy "Let me just recap, see if I get this right: your problem is that the moment having something to hide became an issue for you, it was taken away by the fact that you were in a mage-only compound, having little to no contact with Sleepers. That's unlike most mages, who had to manage their families, friends, mundane jobs and free time in the actual world along with their sorcerous selves. Now that you are without the protective layer you had before, your habit of openness is a bad thing" He looks to Kaze for confirmation before continuing. In fact, Shodan looks for a moment like he's about to say something, but then an expression that is part embarassment, part exasperation and part pity. He stands up and begins to circle the room.

Finally, Shodan gives up and stops "Look, I don't know what to tell you. If there's anything I can do or say to make it easier for you to form these habits I will, but I'm not a developmental psychologist. What I can tell you is this: you said before you don't want to be a threat to the community, that you are figuring out how to be a 'good citizen', whatever the hell that means. I have no idea if that kind of attitude is more self-pity or force-fed guilt, but either way it's gotta go" He stops, takes a deep breath and looks at the ceiling for a while, apparently looking for inspiration on what to say next "If you let yourself be bullied into believing that you are some kind of danger that needs to be contained, you're going to end up a miserable wreck who makes more, not less, mistakes. Eventually, you'll prove the bullies right, all because you let your perceptions be twisted at the beginning"

How many times have you met a beautiful woman who was convincedshe was fat? Anyone who says, 'I’m bad at math' is right. So are thepeople who say 'I can’t quit smoking' If you argue for your limitations, you get to keep them, after all.

"Don't overthink it, is all I'm saying"

Striking Looks
    Presence
    Toxin Resistance
    Kaze

Monthly Rits

Scene Specific

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 5
    Vulgar -1
    [1]Transform Aura[M]
    [2] Supernal Vision[D]

(Bad House) The Return
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Vulgar -1
    [4] Honing the Form
    [2] Body Control [M]

+2
    SL
    PRE

Kaze nods at first to indicate that Shodan is correct in his understanding of Kaze’s loss and his goals, and then as Shodan continues, Kaze nods merely to indicate that he is listening.

When Shodan finishes, Kaze says quietly, “Don’t overthink. Got it.” He says with a smile. “That’s good advice. So. I’m thinking you didn’t ask me over to catch up on my love life. What’s your plan? I mean, specifically?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 17

You do not have permission to view the list of names.