Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]\includes\openscenes.php on line 48

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]\includes\openscenes.php on line 48

(Open) Warm Drinks - Page 2
Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
11 - 20
DISPLAYED
(Open) Warm Drinks

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    S
    Shodan

He looks at Anima from above his newspaper "Please. Campaign trails are so last decade. If I had that choice, I'd rather sell a device or app that you can't live without than run the high risk-low reward politics con game" It was all a distraction, anyway. Let other Libertines stalk town halls and parliaments, Shodan by far prefers laboratories and server rooms "At least if I wanted to really change something" Even if his name doesn't end up on the brand. Truth be told, he is willing to let some Sleeper take the spotlight.

The Obrimos nods in understanding as Aurora confirms his suspicions. It was hardly surprising that the history of Sacramento Consilium was written in heated debate. Shodan would have settled for nothing less "I suppose it's a by-product of getting several confirmed know-it-alls to inhabit the same space. I should know, I'm one of them" The vice of pride somehow loses its edge when one admits to it, more so if it's treated humorously. Shodan leaves the question on his position without comment, relieved that the Thyrsus mystagogue was willing to write her own lines "We're never comfortable as-is. That's kinda the staple of my department" He says off-handedly. In arts, politics or science, conservatism goes against everything the Libertines believe in.

"That's not a derail, then, just a minor glitch in the machine" He smiles "Sorry, I don't mean to be overly literal. You're right, of course. We gotta learn. I hope your trip was at least moderately educational, even if it was not what you hoped for" Sometimes you want one answer and end up with another. It's anyone's guess if that's a subconscious thing or if the universe is a cruel bastard. He lets the Libertine witch doctor muse on the political shortcomings of Buddha worshippers and his half-formed response is stopped in its tracks as Aurora answers, voicing a sentiment fairly common among Sleepers and non-politicized mages "Just because you don't take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you. Some dead guy said that, I don't know who exactly but the point is - he was right. Not everyone wants to be an activist or even vote and that's okay, but it only means you give up what little influence you have on the world around you. You give one thing away to get another" Too often people treated politics like a hobby, something you can choose not to participate in and thus dodge its effects. It's only later that they realize they were on the Gestapo list this whole time

Status (Neurosurgeon)
    Status (Free Council)
    (Voter)
    Presence
    Anima

PRE

"Just existing is an impact on existence. Even after opening the box the cat is both alive and dead because of its potential and because of its potential the world is changed. The great flaw of mankind is that those who most often seek to change the world and guide humanity, are not the ones who should."

He motions towards the other two, "Perhaps one day one of you will be the leader of the free world."
    Con Spells Cloaked
    Supreme Aug:Pre+3 Man+2 dur 12hrs;Skill Mastery Socialize+2 Persuasion+4 dur 12 hrs

ConsiliumPre5 (Authority)

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Multicolored copper bracelet with intricate loops winding around her right wrist.
    Nimbus

The sweet, fragrant smells of roses mixed with lilacs emanate from her as she casts magic. The scent intensifies, bordering on intoxicating, when Life magic is cast. When Aurora casts Vulgar magic, the scent takes a nasty turn, to the putrid, nauseating odor of a rotting corpse. The stronger the magic, the more those around want to retch at the smell.
    Monthly Spells

Monthly spells done on character sheet.

Pulse of the Living World[POT 6]
    Organic Resilience[POT 6]
    (PrP Treasure Hunt)

Active Spells: 1/6
    [Detect Substance]Bone
    Personal Spells: 2/3
    Vulgar:
    Mana:6/8
    WP:3

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

She had to laugh, “That’s pretty much it. It also comes down to who thinks they’re the most powerful in the room and flexing.” An eye roll. “I’d rather just say our peace, settle business, then move on. I got out of politics for a reason.” There were days she missed the Ladders. But they were getting fewer. “Well, I haven’t you puff your chest and all that yet. But you’ve proven to be entertaining so far.” So there was that. “Yes and no. Things have to change and advance for life to move forward. We cannot be successful stuck in the same rut. But, change is hard, especially for those we know.” But, change could be good.

“It can be a derail, depending on how serious the issue is. Take a situation where you almost die, I’d call that a pretty damn big derail. But from it, you tend to reexamine everything, make changes and seek to improve in someway.” Just how it was. “It was educational in the sense that I accepted I needed the help of those here to get past it.” It bothered her. But coming back felt right. “Politics are a necessary evil in life. They cannot be avoided. And to build on what you’ve said, rather we like it or not, we need to make our voice and opinions known. If those thoughts make ripples? Well, that’s just how it is, but something might come from it. Maybe. We don’t know, but it’s worth trying.” Another shrug as she eats another fry. Moving the plate to the center of the table, her way of offering the fries.

An eyebrow raises, “Not me, that’s not happening. I don’t seek to lead anyone, nor do I want to. Leading people is like herding drunk cats.” A nightmare that never works. “I’ll pass.” Plus, no one would follow her.

S
    Shodan

The Obrimos snorts with laughter "Entertaining? You mean like a dancing monkey?" His eyes twinkle with humor, making it quite clear that he's simply teasing the Shaman. It's just that, for some reason, he's found her choice of words amusing, which is probably why he registers something else that she said only just now "Wait, you were in politics? As in, at the office, or have I had a chance to actually vote for you?" It was not impossible. If comedians, TV show hosts and actors can be presidents, why not an acrobat?

When she speaks of near-death, teaching experiences Shodan nods "Yeah, I know what you mean" Too well. The memory of that lost duel was still fresh, but it served as an excuse for self-improvement alright. To mask his momentary loss of resoluteness, the Obrimos takes a long sip of his cinnamon coffee. He'll pass on the fries, though - there's no such thing as free lunch. But well, maybe if his mouth was full of processed potatoes, he wouldn't have asked "Get past wha... ah, forget I asked. Like you said, personal thing. I don't mean to pry" Even if he's filled to the top of his head with curiosity. But then, mercifully, the topic of politics comes along to provide a distraction "Personally, I don't see politics as evil, necessary or not. If he" A nod towards Anima "is right that most of our would-be leaders are not the right people for the job - and we know he is right - then engaging in politics: voting, building factions or just smashing some windows during a riot is the way to replace them. With someone who, hopefully, sucks a bit less. And so, the cycle continues" The Libertines were partially removed from it by imposing strict time limits on holding the position of real power. But if those were abused anyway, you bet there'd be civil disobedience aplenty.

"Speaking of things from which something might come out, doc" He says in a moment of sudden revelation "Didn't you have this project at your hospital about scanning brainwave patterns and all that stuff? How are things going with that?"

Status (Neurosurgeon)
    Status (Free Council)
    (Voter)
    Presence
    Anima

PRE

The doctor shrugs, "Normal people engaging in actives they are talented at, and activities they are poor at while observing the neurons in their brains lighting up. It's been... not as interesting as I'd hope. I have at least one volunteer so far who is a bit more, gifted, than the others. Once I have a chance to observe him and compare his results against the others I'll have a drop in the bucket I need of the sample size in order to truly see if my hypothesis is even worth further research."

He taps his inner
    elbow with two fingers, "Mainlining information, just chasing my own dragon as it were."
    Con Spells Cloaked
    Supreme Aug:Pre+3 Man+2 dur 12hrs;Skill Mastery Socialize+2 Persuasion+4 dur 12 hrs

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Multicolored copper bracelet with intricate loops winding around her right wrist.
    Nimbus

The sweet, fragrant smells of roses mixed with lilacs emanate from her as she casts magic. The scent intensifies, bordering on intoxicating, when Life magic is cast. When Aurora casts Vulgar magic, the scent takes a nasty turn, to the putrid, nauseating odor of a rotting corpse. The stronger the magic, the more those around want to retch at the smell.
    Monthly Spells

(PrP Treasure Hunt)

[Detect Substance]Bone
    Vulgar:

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Laughing, “Well, not as entertaining as that, but you’re getting there.” She jokes back. “At the office, but as life changed, I learned it wasn’t the right path for me. Though if you had the chance, would you have voted for me?” she asked, clearly amused.

“It’s ok. And who knows, it might come out a work at some point.” Shrugging.

“I see them as being evil in the sense that it divides. I’ve seen friendships end over differences in political views. Meetings get heated with each side thinking they’re right no matter what. Some people not willing to meet in the middle for the better of everyone. Those are the evils to me.”
    And it was annoying.

Scanning brain waves? “Sounds like an interesting project.” And she meant that.

“How do you do that? Do they like, wear one of those things on their heads?”
    she didn’t know what it was called, but it was kinda creepy.

S
    Shodan

"That'd depend on the kind of office you were running for, but I'd say: yes. I mean, I obviously still have a lot to learn about your character, priorities and your stance on whatever the latest clickbait headline is, but with the kind of establishment we have today, I'd say things would improve regardless" If Jesse Ventura could be governor, surely an acrobat can make at least mayor?

He takes a moment to listen to Aurora explain her position on divisive politics. Indeed, one of the greatest victories of manipulators and autocrats is convicing everyone else that politics is a dirty sewer from which nothing good can come out, best left alone to the 'experts'.

Namely, them and their buddies.

"I see. Of course, it can be said that as soon as you take any kind of stance on just about anything, someone is going to dislike you, or disagree with you. You said it yourself, it's all about the people, not the views or issues themselves" And we all know who, or rather: what group is to blame "Specifically, those people that poison the debate, fanatics and charlatans looking to capitalize on hate. It's a sad side effect to democracy, but a necessary one unless you want a Borg collective" And nobody wants a Borg collective. As far as he could tell, even the most elitist thearchs favored individuality.

He could chime in on the hows and whys of Anima's little pet project, and maybe his scientific knowledge would allow him to get some things right, but on this occasion Shodan chooses to remain silent, not wanting to steal the doctor's spotlight. Often, he seemed quite enraptured with the idea, the Obrimos would be loath to spoil that. He gives the Thyrsus an encouraging smile and nod, though.

Status (Neurosurgeon)
    Status (Free Council)
    (Voter)
    Presence
    Anima

PRE

The doctor brightens and leans in further as he speaks with enthusiasm.

"When someone undergoes a sleep sleep study, electrodes are placed on their scalp to monitor their brain activity and dream state. My study does something quite similar. We have a few layers of information gathering. First we attach the electrodes and have them do mundane activities, reciting the alphabet, counting to 100, writing their name, clicking a pen, and gradually the activities increase in difficulty, completing a
    word find, sudoku a crossword puzzle, threading a needle, and finally they perform an action they are talented at or passionate about, playing a musical instrument, juggling, performing a slight of hand trick, etc. Now that data lacks a desirable level of detail, but it does then give argument to select individuals for the next stage, which will be observing them before and after these activities in a CAT scanner, sadly resonance and imaging technology hasn't reached a point where we can gather real time detailed information on their brain during the activity because they have to hold still for for the scan, but, ultimately, I'd like to find the neurological connection between skills and talents and how the connections of neurons vary from individual to individual who might be doing the same task, but also be the exact same between people doing completely unrelated tasks. Then personally, something I could never say in my paper, but I'm deeply curious about, does that unique energy 'fingerprint' have a relation to unveiling the human soul."

He takes a breath and a sip, eyes darting between Shodan and Aurora, "Interesting, yes?​"
    Con Spells Cloaked

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Nimbus

Monthly Spells

(PrP Treasure Hunt)

[Detect Substance]Bone
    Vulgar:

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Amusement on her face, “Good to know. But there are a few things in my past that would remove me from running I’m afraid.” Just how life was. “Though I’d be interested in a debate about the latest clickbait headline sometime, sounds like it could be fun.” She wasn’t good at debating or anything, but sometimes, it was fun.

“Oh my god, yes! There is no way to please everyone when it comes to politics and opinions. I’d much rather prefer and enjoy, civil discussions. Where everyone can state their views and thoughts and people can talk like adults. But, that’s not how things go.”
    So be it. “Though I’ve learned through the years, that sometimes, the other side has some good ideas, if you’re willing to listen.” And most aren’t. “Well, I could do with the hate. Life is too short to deal with that bullshit. And once a debate is poisoned, and the discussion is no longer productive, that’s when I checkout and leave. I don’t have the time for it.” She’ll debate, but only if it’s productive.

A nod, “That’s what they’re called!” she’d knew she’d know it if she heard it. And she listens, as much as she could. It wasn’t really any interest to her, but she shared a Path with him, so best get to know him. “So you think there is some level of neurological connection between peoples skills and talents?” the Shaman then looks thoughtful, “Huh. And here I would have placed my money on years of dedicate practice to hone the talent. Then again, I know nothing of how the brain works. So could these neurological connections be something that’s passed from lets say mother to son or something?” she was trying.

“The soul?”
    sure, she believed in ghosts and spirits, even talked with them. But a soul? She wasn’t sure about that.

S
    Shodan

He deadpans "Someone got you on tape smoking pot in a church, didn't they? Yeah, I can see how that can affect electability" Shodan can't maintain his faux seriousness for long, however and soon enough the facade breaks down with a smirk "Well, you will find no shortage of willingness to debate current affairs in me and my crowd. Alice might be on board, too, but it sounds like philosophy is more her forte. Or you could try Morgan, the Femhawk girl" Oof, that one was sure to spice this whole thing up, engaging even those not normally interested "It sounds like a worthy thing to set up sometime. Get a wider view on things outside of the office" And it brushes pretty well on what was to be Think Tank's purpose. Learning and giving the community a backbone of knowledge.

Yeah, he never really got over the infant cabal.

"I guess what it comes down to is knowing when to speak and when to shut up. Nothing wrong with strong convictions, as long as you are at least willing to entertain the thought that the other person's view is also worth considering, if not necessarily agreeing with" Which was hard enough to do among Sleepers and Sleeper affairs. Throw a mage's hubris into the mix and suddenly earth starts to tremble.

The Obrimos listens to Anima going into detail about his experiments and his searches, with the slightest hint of a smile as the Shaman reveal his enthusiasm "You bet it's interesting. I don't know if anything will come out of it, but either way we're bound to be that much more enlightened about probably the most mysterious physical object in the known universe" Shodan upholds his policy to let Anima explain his work in full, without any outside input, but Aurora touches on a subject he might want to chime in on.

"The soul" He affirms "Source code of what it means to be human. I'm not religious, or even spiritual for that matter, but there's a qualitative difference between humans and everything else. The reason for that difference is the soul" Oh, sure, you can make your cat look like like a human being and certainly you can teach a mass of clay to talk or even conjure consciousness out of nothing, but the one thing all of these will lack is the ability to cast magic.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread